HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Gionta

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2013, 12:02 PM
  #176
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
yeah i agree with whiskey on a number of those points. he does lose battles and kill a lot of plays, but he's still doing alright. i hope he can kick it in the playoffs.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:04 PM
  #177
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis
 
Playmaker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 500
So for those saying we trade/dump Gionta and sign a better player, where do you expect to get the money to re-sign Subban, Eller, Diaz, and Emelin after next season?

Any way you look at it, it would require us to not re-sign Ryder and probably let Markov walk at the end of next season as well. I'd much rater keep at least one of Ryder/Markov and replace Gio with one of Kristo/Leblanc(if he bounces back)/Collberg(if he's ready).

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:05 PM
  #178
Lebowski
In Price We Trust
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,745
vCash: 500
My issue with Gionta is not the way he plays - I'd be perfectly fine to keep the guy, who's all heart and is basically a lock to chip in 20+ goals if healthy per season. What bugs me is the fact he's basically handed quality minutes when he doesn't deserve them. We currently have better options than him in a top 6 role and needless to say he doesn't have his place on the power-play.

It's a shame he gets so much hate, from me included, due to the poor utilizaiton the coach have made of him because as a player, I think everybody would love to have a Gionta on their third line. Maybe not at 5M a year, but if we resign him for half that salary, I'd be fine with it.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:41 PM
  #179
HeShootsHeScores
Registered User
 
HeShootsHeScores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
How people dislike Gionta is beyond me. The guy is a top-notch, 25-30 goal, secondary scorer. He always goes to the dirty areas, to the front of the net, has great chemistry with Plekanec, and plays well in his own zone. He is also very fast, and has many leadership qualities. What is there not to like about this guy? Seriously!
I agree with you, though I think a lot of people are fed up with his shot from the blue line. It's way too predictable by now. So when habs are losing 3-1 in the third for example, and you see Gionta entering the zone with the puck, you just know it's not the gamebreaker coming up. And it happens A LOT because of his speed obviously.

At best it leads to an offensive zone faceoff (which is not our strenght), a lucky rebound or a fluke goal.

The way I see it , this repetitive denial to challenge everytime he enters the zone kills momentum and warms up the other goalie, helps him keep his focus.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:06 PM
  #180
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
I agree with you, though I think a lot of people are fed up with his shot from the blue line. It's way too predictable by now. So when habs are losing 3-1 in the third for example, and you see Gionta entering the zone with the puck, you just know it's not the gamebreaker coming up. And it happens A LOT because of his speed obviously.

At best it leads to an offensive zone faceoff (which is not our strenght), a lucky rebound or a fluke goal.

The way I see it , this repetitive denial to challenge everytime he enters the zone kills momentum and warms up the other goalie, helps him keep his focus.
I totally understand what you're referring to but I think he only takes those shots from the outside when he has limited or no other opportunities. He isn't a bad passer when he sees the option, either.

Yes he should probably cut down on weak shots from the outside, but he means a lot to this team and I feel like people want to use him as a scapegoat when he is probably one of the most clutch scorers on the team.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:37 PM
  #181
De Montreal
help
 
De Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
One is our leading scorer while the other is arguably the most important player on this team (along with Subban).

Yea, be very concerned lol
This is exactly why I'm concerned. They might be our two most important skaters and yet their play as of late do not reflect this.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:08 PM
  #182
Sorinth
Registered User
 
Sorinth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
My issue with Gionta is not the way he plays - I'd be perfectly fine to keep the guy, who's all heart and is basically a lock to chip in 20+ goals if healthy per season. What bugs me is the fact he's basically handed quality minutes when he doesn't deserve them. We currently have better options than him in a top 6 role and needless to say he doesn't have his place on the power-play.

It's a shame he gets so much hate, from me included, due to the poor utilizaiton the coach have made of him because as a player, I think everybody would love to have a Gionta on their third line. Maybe not at 5M a year, but if we resign him for half that salary, I'd be fine with it.
That's the thing the coach believes Gionta is a better option than whoever you think should take his spot. It makes no sense to want Gionta gone because of the way the coach plays him. Blame the coach if you want, not the player.

In reality you're not going to get a better player than Gionta for the same cost or less in Free Agency.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:10 PM
  #183
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,624
vCash: 500
Not a big gionta fan, I find he lacks hockey sense and just does the same thing over and over and over again. However, he's pretty good at what he does. For all the talk about his negative play he has quietly put up 14 goals. I'm hopeful Gallagher can maintain his game and be our replacement for gio when his time is up and we can use some of the money we paid gio to acquire a bigger 25 goal scorer.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:40 PM
  #184
Native
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
...I find he lacks hockey sense and just does the same thing over and over and over again. However, he's pretty good at what he does. For all the talk about his negative play he has quietly put up 14 goals...
i agree. he comes down the right side and shoots into goalie's chest. play is dead. sometimes, he scores, but more often than not, its an offensive faceoff.

i don't think gio is one to carry the play and set things up. he's either the hustler, beat the D to the puck; or finisher, waiting for a pass on a fast break, or stand in front, take punishment and deflect.

he works hard and is a clean, dedicated player. i don't see him being resigned once his contract expires unless for a very reduced price.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:15 PM
  #185
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
You're a positive kinda guy, I like your posts but you spewed the same things about Gomez last season. You were wrong then, you're wrong now.


No he's not. By all accounts he's been a secondary scorer his entire career. Except for one season.


Injured players don't win you games. He's scored 28+29+8+14 goals in his four years with the habs, that amounts to 19.75 goals per year. I know you can prorate and PDO and corsi all the way to the moon but there is virtue in staying injury free. He can't get credit for potentially scoring goals he's never scored. He's a 20-25 goal scorer anyways, he's never broke 30 except for that one season.


Agreed


He hasn't this season, except for very rare occasions but definitely not consistently. And definitely not effectively. He loses battles all over the ice, just watch the games I'm not making this up.


I'd argue that he kills a lot of plays that Pleks makes. They don't seem on the same wavelength at all.


Agreed


Agreed. Well he's not Grabner-fast but he's fast and tenacious and good defensively.


He's a smurf on a team with undersized forwards and a public image of being a weak, soft team. He's a Devil, he's not a Hab and he has no ties to the city (I dunno this really bugs me personally, I don't expect it to bother other people). His wife's name is Harvest and that really bothers me too.

I'm not saying he's a bad hockey player, it just sucks that he's underperforming and has such a high position on the team. You can't bench him, you can't call him out when he deserves it, he gets all the PP time he wants, he gets the best centre we have... and he has a year left on a 5m contract with a NTC.
First off, when I say top-notch and put a comma next to it, it means that adjective goes with the noun that is coming up. By that, I meant that he was a top-notch secondary scorer and he is. He consistently scores 25-30 goal, and I don't think including last seasons numbers are fair considering he was injured and our offense was a black hole apart from DD's line.

Also, Gionta and Plekanec know where each other are on the ice, all the time. Gionta has made some great passes to Pleks this season and vice-versa, I think it is well-known they have great chemistry. I find Gionta has been winning a lot of battles this season too, just tonight I've noticed three board battles he won easily and a pretty great corner puck retrieval as well. He is definitely one of the better guys at winning board battles. He is also a good skater.

Look, I'm not trying to make it seem like he is an amazing player. I'm trying to say that he does what you expect from him and nothing more; brings the same skills to the ice every year and is a great secondary scorer. That is all.

We should be happy to have a player like him on the team and not complain with every little thing he does... which is what this thread has been lately. The reason he gets lots of minutes is because he is a veteran and is able to handle the load, while it would be detrimental to give rookies extra minutes. Also, the best way to get veterans out of slumps is to play them.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:41 PM
  #186
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Gionta is indeed slowing down in the litteral sense, unless you haven't watched any game this season.

Mind you, he's still far from slow.
He has one year left to his contract. I say because he's still producing, you keep him and make a decision next year or at the end of his contract.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.