HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Voracek Giroux Hartnell
Gagne Schenn Simmonds
Mantha Laughton Cousins
Talbot Hall Rinaldo
Ugh, that would be terrible. The only line that could create offense there would be the one with Voracek and Giroux on it, and you managed to screw even that one up by adding Hartnell.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:53 PM
BernieParent

Depending on whom Holmgren brings in through the draft, I'd like to see a minor deal with a team like the Predators, who are hurting for offense. Something like Cousins for a good D prospect like Mattias Ekholm (6'4" puck-mover with a heavy shot, but low physicality and in need of improving his angles and skating) could put some help in the pipelines of both teams.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:10 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I love when people say they'd only move couturier for a proven defenseman.

In what world is couturier worth a proven top pairing defenseman and can I go there and have some wishes granted?

Old
04-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

In what world is couturier worth a proven top pairing defenseman and can I go there and have some wishes granted?
Do you really not see the gap between the two statements?

I don't think anyone expects Couturier to return a proven top pairing defenseman; I think we expect / hope Couturier, a proven NHL player with 1B/2A upside, will return a proven NHL player with 2/3 upside.

So someone like Kulikov, who has played three seasons in the NHL but is still quite young, is far preferable to Gormley or Rundblad.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-20-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old
04-20-2013, 12:19 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

I guess that was aimed at me.

I value proven talent over potential. I'm pretty sure if you dangled a package with Couturier as the center piece out there you could get a proven defensemen back. Maybe not a bonafide number 1 but at least a guy whose played some seasons in the NHL with some upside still left.

Edit: Pretty much Jack's post is a more thought out post of what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-20-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old
04-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I guess that was aimed at me.

I value proven talent over potential. I'm pretty sure if you dangled a package with Couturier as the center piece out there you could get a proven defensemen back. Maybe not a bonafide number 1 but at least a guy whose played some seasons in the NHL with some upside still left.

Edit: Pretty much Jack's post is a more thought out post of what I'm trying to say.
I can't imagine a situation where dangling your package would be a good idea.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:57 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
Quote:

Couturier has more value then a defensive prospect currently in the AHL.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Some of the guys on Nashville's board seem to think that the organization might be losing patience with Jonathan Blum.

If they will still talk to us (), he might be a reasonable reclaimation project. Still fairly young, a RH shot.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:19 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

I guess I just think its a better idea to get a young guy who can possibly become a #1 than a guy who's already developed into a #2-#3. I guess in the case of Kulikov, he'd be a more desirable target than Gormley, because gormleys ceiling is more of a -#2-#3 guy and Kulikov is already that. But my initial idea Included a 1st coming our way as well which would help bolster our prospect pool.

I do NOT like the idea of trading couturier for a guy like Yandle. I'm a big believer of getting someone around the age of the young guys in our core so that they can grow together and motivate one another. This team is still a few years from competing IMO and getting a guy who doesn't fit into the core age would be a bad move.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

What has been wrong with Blum?

Old
04-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I guess I just think its a better idea to get a young guy who can possibly become a #1 than a guy who's already developed into a #2-#3. I guess in the case of Kulikov, he'd be a more desirable target than Gormley, because gormleys ceiling is more of a -#2-#3 guy and Kulikov is already that. But my initial idea Included a 1st coming our way as well which would help bolster our prospect pool.

I do NOT like the idea of trading couturier for a guy like Yandle. I'm a big believer of getting someone around the age of the young guys in our core so that they can grow together and motivate one another. This team is still a few years from competing IMO and getting a guy who doesn't fit into the core age would be a bad move.
Yandle is a year(+) older than Giroux and a few months older than Read. He's younger than Coburn, Hartnell, and Grossmann--all of whom are important core pieces for the foreseeable future.

Maybe Yandle isn't the answer--but it isn't because he's too old to fit in with our core, IMO.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:26 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Stay the course, guys, stay the course. Our games against Montreal and New York show how well this team can play when we are focused.

Buyout Briere or jettison him somewhere, if possible. Dump Meszaros for a pick. Let Fedotenko, Knuble (duh), Gagne, Foster (duh), Huskins walk. Re-sign Hall

I've always been on the buyout Bryz train, though if a decent replacement can't be acquired, it might be worth it waiting another season to pull the trigger on this one.

Don't fire Lavi (yet). Don't trade Couturier.

Draft a good player between somewhere picks 5-10. Give Laughton and Cousins a chance to crack the lineup.

Forwards: Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell, Simmonds, Couturier, B. Schenn, Read, Talbot, Rinaldo, Rosehill, Hall, McGinn, Laughton*, Cousins*

Defense: Timonen, L. Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann, Gustafsson, Gervais, Bourdon, Lauridsen, Manning

Don't know how cap compliant that will be, but I doubt a guy like Horton or Ryder would be a signing that's realistic. Though we could use a sniper up front, especially for the PP2 unit. I'd kick the tires on swapping Coburn for a forward who could potentially fill this role. If you get a good deal for Coburn, just run with the young defense to start the season. Timonen/Schenn/Grossmann/Gustafsson can be a serviceable top 4 to start the season. You can always get a waiver wire 6th defenseman at some point over the course of the season. Let the young guys compete for the job to fill out the roster for once. Kick the tires to acquire the PMD of the Flyers' dreams mid-season when we have a refreshed image of how this team can compete with a clean slate.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Just looked up his stats. Is he supposed to be a PMD but he's not producing jack ****? Hell, Nashville isn't known for their offense though, especially this year, where Weber is the leading point getter for Nashville at 24 points...

Old
04-20-2013, 01:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Nashville has been decimated with injuries. probably more then the Flyers

Old
04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Just looked up his stats. Is he supposed to be a PMD but he's not producing jack ****? Hell, Nashville isn't known for their offense though, especially this year, where Weber is the leading point getter for Nashville at 24 points...
Offensive defensemen. He's put up big numbers offensively in Juniors and in the AHL. If you can get him cheap it would be worth a look.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I know it's as of April 14th, but they are closer to the bottom of the list for man games lost to injuries.

http://www.mangameslost.com/updated-...april-14-2013/

Old
04-20-2013, 01:50 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Yandle is a year(+) older than Giroux and a few months older than Read. He's younger than Coburn, Hartnell, and Grossmann--all of whom are important core pieces for the foreseeable future.

Maybe Yandle isn't the answer--but it isn't because he's too old to fit in with our core, IMO.
I'm speaking of the yoing core that is currently b. Schenn, l. Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, couturier, (soon to be) laughton etc.

When this team is ready to compete, Giroux will be a veteran and I have my doubts about whether Hartnell will even be here.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I know it's as of April 14th, but they are closer to the bottom of the list for man games lost to injuries.

http://www.mangameslost.com/updated-...april-14-2013/
they have been hit pretty hard with injuries at forward. A team that was already pretty thin at forward depth. i think I heard the other day they had used 13 or 14 rookies this year.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:58 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I have no idea why. I mean, they lost Radulov (selfish *******) and I think Andrei Kostitsyn is gone as well. But really, outside of that, I'm really surprised they are having so many problems.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I'm speaking of the yoing core that is currently b. Schenn, l. Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, couturier, (soon to be) laughton etc.

When this team is ready to compete, Giroux will be a veteran and I have my doubts about whether Hartnell will even be here.
This team could compete as soon as next year. They won't be cup contenders but they are definitely playoff worthy.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

Nashville hasn't really been decimated by injuries. They lost some top offensive guys like Wilson(shoulder) Fisher was hurt this year as well. That team is just not a good mix of aging vets and young players. They have struggled mightily scoring goals. Weber has been about there most consistent player all year.

They really have just had a terrible year. Rinne still putting up a .911% though, so he has been pretty good too. From what I have seen they lose a lot of games 2-0 or 2-1...

Also I remember when some posters in the goalie thread were using Rinne as an example, god I love how quickly they stopped that. Just like Lundy earlier this year.

Also I am not interested in Blum. We need established d man in this league, not extremely young defenders who are going through the learning curve.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:22 PM
whitstifier

What would it take to acquire Kulikov?

Old
04-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstifier View Post
What would it take to acquire Kulikov?
I floated two different ideas on their boards recently--Couturier for Kulikov or the 7th / 8th overall for Kulikov--both premised on FLA taking Jones. If they take Mackinnon, I don't think Kulikov is realistically available.

The responses were mixed and not overly enthusiastic--but that's to be expected when inquiring after a young NHL player. I think that's the kind of return it would take.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:37 PM
whitstifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I floated two different ideas on their boards recently--Couturier for Kulikov or the 7th / 8th overall for Kulikov--both premised on FLA taking Jones. If they take Mackinnon, I don't think Kulikov is realistically available.

The responses were mixed and not overly enthusiastic--but that's to be expected when inquiring after a young NHL player. I think that's the kind of return it would take.
Which team do you think is the Flyer's most likely trading partner for acquiring a young top 4 defenseman.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Prongo
Beer

I think Florida take Jones, they should as he is the BPA in this draft. I know Mac and Drouin are extremely talented, but you don't pass up the opportunity to get a defender who many see having a huge career.

Closed Thread