HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2013, 11:37 PM
  #476
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Voracek Giroux Hartnell
Gagne Schenn Simmonds
Mantha Laughton Cousins
Talbot Hall Rinaldo
Ugh, that would be terrible. The only line that could create offense there would be the one with Voracek and Giroux on it, and you managed to screw even that one up by adding Hartnell.

Ryker is offline  
Old
04-19-2013, 11:53 PM
  #477
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,820
vCash: 500
Depending on whom Holmgren brings in through the draft, I'd like to see a minor deal with a team like the Predators, who are hurting for offense. Something like Cousins for a good D prospect like Mattias Ekholm (6'4" puck-mover with a heavy shot, but low physicality and in need of improving his angles and skating) could put some help in the pipelines of both teams.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 12:10 AM
  #478
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reykjavík
Country: Iceland
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 500
I love when people say they'd only move couturier for a proven defenseman.

In what world is couturier worth a proven top pairing defenseman and can I go there and have some wishes granted?

orange is better is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 12:14 AM
  #479
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I love when people say they'd only move couturier for a proven defenseman.

In what world is couturier worth a proven top pairing defenseman and can I go there and have some wishes granted?
Do you really not see the gap between the two statements?

I don't think anyone expects Couturier to return a proven top pairing defenseman; I think we expect / hope Couturier, a proven NHL player with 1B/2A upside, will return a proven NHL player with 2/3 upside.

So someone like Kulikov, who has played three seasons in the NHL but is still quite young, is far preferable to Gormley or Rundblad.


Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-20-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 12:19 AM
  #480
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I love when people say they'd only move couturier for a proven defenseman.

In what world is couturier worth a proven top pairing defenseman and can I go there and have some wishes granted?
I guess that was aimed at me.

I value proven talent over potential. I'm pretty sure if you dangled a package with Couturier as the center piece out there you could get a proven defensemen back. Maybe not a bonafide number 1 but at least a guy whose played some seasons in the NHL with some upside still left.

Edit: Pretty much Jack's post is a more thought out post of what I'm trying to say.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-20-2013 at 12:25 AM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 09:43 AM
  #481
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I guess that was aimed at me.

I value proven talent over potential. I'm pretty sure if you dangled a package with Couturier as the center piece out there you could get a proven defensemen back. Maybe not a bonafide number 1 but at least a guy whose played some seasons in the NHL with some upside still left.

Edit: Pretty much Jack's post is a more thought out post of what I'm trying to say.
I can't imagine a situation where dangling your package would be a good idea.

Gert B Frobe is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 12:57 PM
  #482
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: is what I do
Country: United States
Posts: 40,649
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I love when people say they'd only move couturier for a proven defenseman.

In what world is couturier worth a proven top pairing defenseman and can I go there and have some wishes granted?
Couturier has more value then a defensive prospect currently in the AHL.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 12:57 PM
  #483
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Some of the guys on Nashville's board seem to think that the organization might be losing patience with Jonathan Blum.

If they will still talk to us (), he might be a reasonable reclaimation project. Still fairly young, a RH shot.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:19 PM
  #484
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reykjavík
Country: Iceland
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 500
I guess I just think its a better idea to get a young guy who can possibly become a #1 than a guy who's already developed into a #2-#3. I guess in the case of Kulikov, he'd be a more desirable target than Gormley, because gormleys ceiling is more of a -#2-#3 guy and Kulikov is already that. But my initial idea Included a 1st coming our way as well which would help bolster our prospect pool.

I do NOT like the idea of trading couturier for a guy like Yandle. I'm a big believer of getting someone around the age of the young guys in our core so that they can grow together and motivate one another. This team is still a few years from competing IMO and getting a guy who doesn't fit into the core age would be a bad move.

orange is better is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:21 PM
  #485
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,833
vCash: 500
What has been wrong with Blum?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:24 PM
  #486
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I guess I just think its a better idea to get a young guy who can possibly become a #1 than a guy who's already developed into a #2-#3. I guess in the case of Kulikov, he'd be a more desirable target than Gormley, because gormleys ceiling is more of a -#2-#3 guy and Kulikov is already that. But my initial idea Included a 1st coming our way as well which would help bolster our prospect pool.

I do NOT like the idea of trading couturier for a guy like Yandle. I'm a big believer of getting someone around the age of the young guys in our core so that they can grow together and motivate one another. This team is still a few years from competing IMO and getting a guy who doesn't fit into the core age would be a bad move.
Yandle is a year(+) older than Giroux and a few months older than Read. He's younger than Coburn, Hartnell, and Grossmann--all of whom are important core pieces for the foreseeable future.

Maybe Yandle isn't the answer--but it isn't because he's too old to fit in with our core, IMO.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:26 PM
  #487
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Stay the course, guys, stay the course. Our games against Montreal and New York show how well this team can play when we are focused.

Buyout Briere or jettison him somewhere, if possible. Dump Meszaros for a pick. Let Fedotenko, Knuble (duh), Gagne, Foster (duh), Huskins walk. Re-sign Hall

I've always been on the buyout Bryz train, though if a decent replacement can't be acquired, it might be worth it waiting another season to pull the trigger on this one.

Don't fire Lavi (yet). Don't trade Couturier.

Draft a good player between somewhere picks 5-10. Give Laughton and Cousins a chance to crack the lineup.

Forwards: Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell, Simmonds, Couturier, B. Schenn, Read, Talbot, Rinaldo, Rosehill, Hall, McGinn, Laughton*, Cousins*

Defense: Timonen, L. Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann, Gustafsson, Gervais, Bourdon, Lauridsen, Manning

Don't know how cap compliant that will be, but I doubt a guy like Horton or Ryder would be a signing that's realistic. Though we could use a sniper up front, especially for the PP2 unit. I'd kick the tires on swapping Coburn for a forward who could potentially fill this role. If you get a good deal for Coburn, just run with the young defense to start the season. Timonen/Schenn/Grossmann/Gustafsson can be a serviceable top 4 to start the season. You can always get a waiver wire 6th defenseman at some point over the course of the season. Let the young guys compete for the job to fill out the roster for once. Kick the tires to acquire the PMD of the Flyers' dreams mid-season when we have a refreshed image of how this team can compete with a clean slate.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:27 PM
  #488
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,833
vCash: 500
Just looked up his stats. Is he supposed to be a PMD but he's not producing jack ****? Hell, Nashville isn't known for their offense though, especially this year, where Weber is the leading point getter for Nashville at 24 points...

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:32 PM
  #489
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: is what I do
Country: United States
Posts: 40,649
vCash: 50
Nashville has been decimated with injuries. probably more then the Flyers

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
  #490
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Just looked up his stats. Is he supposed to be a PMD but he's not producing jack ****? Hell, Nashville isn't known for their offense though, especially this year, where Weber is the leading point getter for Nashville at 24 points...
Offensive defensemen. He's put up big numbers offensively in Juniors and in the AHL. If you can get him cheap it would be worth a look.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:37 PM
  #491
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,833
vCash: 500
I know it's as of April 14th, but they are closer to the bottom of the list for man games lost to injuries.

http://www.mangameslost.com/updated-...april-14-2013/

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:50 PM
  #492
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Reykjavík
Country: Iceland
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Yandle is a year(+) older than Giroux and a few months older than Read. He's younger than Coburn, Hartnell, and Grossmann--all of whom are important core pieces for the foreseeable future.

Maybe Yandle isn't the answer--but it isn't because he's too old to fit in with our core, IMO.
I'm speaking of the yoing core that is currently b. Schenn, l. Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, couturier, (soon to be) laughton etc.

When this team is ready to compete, Giroux will be a veteran and I have my doubts about whether Hartnell will even be here.

orange is better is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:53 PM
  #493
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: is what I do
Country: United States
Posts: 40,649
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I know it's as of April 14th, but they are closer to the bottom of the list for man games lost to injuries.

http://www.mangameslost.com/updated-...april-14-2013/
they have been hit pretty hard with injuries at forward. A team that was already pretty thin at forward depth. i think I heard the other day they had used 13 or 14 rookies this year.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 01:58 PM
  #494
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,833
vCash: 500
I have no idea why. I mean, they lost Radulov (selfish *******) and I think Andrei Kostitsyn is gone as well. But really, outside of that, I'm really surprised they are having so many problems.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 02:07 PM
  #495
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'm speaking of the yoing core that is currently b. Schenn, l. Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, couturier, (soon to be) laughton etc.

When this team is ready to compete, Giroux will be a veteran and I have my doubts about whether Hartnell will even be here.
This team could compete as soon as next year. They won't be cup contenders but they are definitely playoff worthy.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 04:10 PM
  #496
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 17,055
vCash: 500
Nashville hasn't really been decimated by injuries. They lost some top offensive guys like Wilson(shoulder) Fisher was hurt this year as well. That team is just not a good mix of aging vets and young players. They have struggled mightily scoring goals. Weber has been about there most consistent player all year.

They really have just had a terrible year. Rinne still putting up a .911% though, so he has been pretty good too. From what I have seen they lose a lot of games 2-0 or 2-1...

Also I remember when some posters in the goalie thread were using Rinne as an example, god I love how quickly they stopped that. Just like Lundy earlier this year.

Also I am not interested in Blum. We need established d man in this league, not extremely young defenders who are going through the learning curve.

Prongo is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 04:22 PM
  #497
whitstifier
Registered User
 
whitstifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
What would it take to acquire Kulikov?

whitstifier is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 04:29 PM
  #498
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 15,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitstifier View Post
What would it take to acquire Kulikov?
I floated two different ideas on their boards recently--Couturier for Kulikov or the 7th / 8th overall for Kulikov--both premised on FLA taking Jones. If they take Mackinnon, I don't think Kulikov is realistically available.

The responses were mixed and not overly enthusiastic--but that's to be expected when inquiring after a young NHL player. I think that's the kind of return it would take.

Jack de la Hoya is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 04:37 PM
  #499
whitstifier
Registered User
 
whitstifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I floated two different ideas on their boards recently--Couturier for Kulikov or the 7th / 8th overall for Kulikov--both premised on FLA taking Jones. If they take Mackinnon, I don't think Kulikov is realistically available.

The responses were mixed and not overly enthusiastic--but that's to be expected when inquiring after a young NHL player. I think that's the kind of return it would take.
Which team do you think is the Flyer's most likely trading partner for acquiring a young top 4 defenseman.

whitstifier is offline  
Old
04-20-2013, 04:38 PM
  #500
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 17,055
vCash: 500
I think Florida take Jones, they should as he is the BPA in this draft. I know Mac and Drouin are extremely talented, but you don't pass up the opportunity to get a defender who many see having a huge career.

Prongo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.