HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 06:35 AM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
you guys are nuts if you don't think we trot rinne out there vs Calgary.

truth be told, anyone can still beat anyone in this league, even a team desperate like Detroit got waxed at Calgary. I hope we play hard, win all our games, and win the lottery
You think rinne plays against flames??

Old
04-19-2013, 07:52 AM
braindead

[QUOTE=token grinder; I hope we play hard, win all our games, and win the lottery[/QUOTE]
I think we all would love that outcome but I hope we don't have to rely on lottery luck to secure a top 3 spot. We are in a rare spot where a pretty good team has a chance for a franchise changing opportunity. Our best odds of getting that chance is to lose out, while our lowest odds come with your path.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:23 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I think we all would love that outcome but I hope we don't have to rely on lottery luck to secure a top 3 spot. We are in a rare spot where a pretty good team has a chance for a franchise changing opportunity. Our best odds of getting that chance is to lose out, while our lowest odds come with your path.
Good point. I don't think of the Preds as a team full of scrubs who are years away from being in the playoffs. I am hoping for this team to grab one of those dynamic forwards because I think a healthy team next season with Forsberg and Drouin/Mac will be pretty damn good. Let Poile address a couple other moves over the offseason and this team can be right back in it.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:36 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Good point. I don't think of the Preds as a team full of scrubs who are years away from being in the playoffs. I am hoping for this team to grab one of those dynamic forwards because I think a healthy team next season with Forsberg and Drouin/Mac will be pretty damn good. Let Poile address a couple other moves over the offseason and this team can be right back in it.
Not to me mention that FF and Mac/drouin would make less than a mill. And with other teams needed to get rid of players because of cap going down, I still see poile getting another top six forward and top four dman this offseason. Cup!!

Old
04-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Jack de la Hoya

If Nashville managed to win the lottery, is there any value in the following proposal:

NSH 1st (1st overall) for S. Couturier + PHI 1st (8th overall).

Basically, Seth Jones (or, from your perspective, Nathan Mackinnon) for Couturier + Lindholm / Monahan / Nurse etc.

(Just sorting out a value debate on our board--I'm surveying the teams who figure to be drafting ahead of the Flyers to see whether trading up is any kind of an option--and if so, at what cost).

Old
04-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
If Nashville managed to win the lottery, is there any value in the following proposal:

Basically, Seth Jones (or, from your perspective, Nathan Mackinnon) for Couturier + Lindholm / Monahan / Nurse etc.

(Just sorting out a value debate on our board--I'm surveying the teams who figure to be drafting ahead of the Flyers to see whether trading up is any kind of an option--and if so, at what cost).
I would think it is a pretty easy no from all teams

previous #7 picks (likely PHI pick this year)

Year Player Pos. Drafted From Drafted By
2012 Mathew Dumba D Red Deer (WHL) Minnesota Wild
2011 Mark Scheifele C Barrie (OHL) Winnipeg Jets
2010 Jeff Skinner C Kitchener (OHL) Carolina Hurricanes
2009 Nazem Kadri C London (OHL) Toronto Maple Leafs
2008 Colin Wilson C Boston U. Nashville Predators
2007 Jakub Voracek C Halifax (QMJHL) Columbus Blue Jackets

previous #8 picks (where Couturier was drafted)

2012 Derrick Pouliot D Portland (WHL) Pittsburgh Penguins
2011 Sean Couturier
C Drummondville (QMJHL) Philadelphia Flyers
2010 Alex Burmistrov C Barrie (OHL) Atlanta Thrashers
2009 Scott Glennie C Brandon (WHL) Dallas Stars
2008 Mikkel Boedker LW Kitchener (OHL) Phoenix Coyotes
2007 Zach Hamill C Everett (WHL) Boston Bruins

Previous #1 picks

2012 Nail Yakupov RW Sarnia (OHL) Edmonton Oilers
2011 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins C Red Deer (WHL) Edmonton Oilers
2010 Taylor Hall LW Windsor (OHL) Edmonton Oilers
2009 John Tavares C London (OHL) New York Islanders
2008 Steven Stamkos C Sarnia (OHL) Tampa Bay Lightning
2007 Patrick Kane RW London (OHL) Chicago Blackhawks

Their is no chance that a team moves the chance at Jones/MacKinnon for Couturier + 7/8 pick on a value standpoint.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:47 PM
braindead

I would look at it like this: if the preds have the #1 pick they can trade down to #3 to get a pick or asset and still draft McK or drouin. That additional asset could be a 2nd round pick or a very solid prospect. So the issue is either couts+#8 or mcK/drouin+ 2nd/prospect.

It's actually a close call and hard to answer without knowing how good that other asset might be. I love couts but it would have to be a pass on that deal for me. Couts doesn't have superstar prospects like those guys.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Legionnaire11

On the rooting to lose front...

I'm looking at it this way. Next season, and in two years and three, and in five years... Are we going to be saying "Man, MacKinnon is killing it in Colorado... but at least we didn't tank those last 4 games in 2013"?

Old
04-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
On the rooting to lose front...

I'm looking at it this way. Next season, and in two years and three, and in five years... Are we going to be saying "Man, MacKinnon is killing it in Colorado... but at least we didn't tank those last 4 games in 2013"?
Alternately we could lose and get MacKinnon but wonder how stupid we were for taking him because Barkov/Lindholm are tearing up the league.

I am numb to the losing, but I will never root for the team to lose.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:

Interesting proposal; definitely better than 80% of the ones on the trade forums. I like Couturier in Nashville given his very solid two-way play, but, with Forsberg in the picture and Wilson developing into a legitimate #1/2 C, I think you see us bet the barn on MacKinnon/Drouin if we end up at #1. The risk associated with the forwards in the 5+ spot appears to be materially higher if you believe the pundit network. I don't think the PHI trade works out, but it's certainly not terrible.

Old
04-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:

The only way I see this happening is if the Preds are #3 and the top 2 teams take Mac and Drouin. Philly wants Jones at #3, so they trade Couts+#6/7/8 to get him. Maybe the Preds add Spaling.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:03 PM
maplepred

Why all the fascination with couts?! There are so many other teams with young guys we could go after that may even pick higher than Philly. After Philly offer sheeted weber I could care less to help them get jones.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:08 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
You think rinne plays against flames??
Last home game of the season, fan appreciation night, and 3 days off. He's the starter, yes Rinne will play!

Some fans might be rooting for a loss, but the team isn't playing for a draft pick. They still want to win.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Just for Statistical reference.

G/G: 29th 2.27 (This blows with a fury of a million hurricanes. Does replacing Erat with Forsberg fix this?)

GA/G: 18th 2.71 (This sucks for the Preds. I think this will get a million times better with 1) A full camp with Trotz doing his work. 2) A better back up G, Mason is NOT cutting it. 3) Signing a vet Dman to be next to Klein. I think this draft will give some new d-men but they won't be ready till 2016.)

PP%: 19th 16.7% (I think this will be better with a full camp)

PK%: 29TH 75.0% (WHAT THE ****ING HELL IS THIS ****? Camp will fix this and a new D-man. Keep Gill as the 7th d-man. The USS Gill is still needed)

S/G: 30th (Yeah, nuff sed)

SA/G: 6th (Um....how the.....I guess the defensemen are not the complete problem.)

FO%: 16th (Not great but Gaustad has been hurt ALOT)

Old
04-20-2013, 11:26 AM
maplepred

Would Blum get us a second round pick in this draft?

Old
04-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Would Blum get us a second round pick in this draft?
Has he struggled that much?

Flyers are likely to pick around 37-39th overall. I'd definitely consider moving that pick for a guy who is still young, a RH shot, etc.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:44 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Has he struggled that much?

Flyers are likely to pick around 37-39th overall. I'd definitely consider moving that pick for a guy who is still young, a RH shot, etc.
no he hasnt. he's gonna be a 2nd pairing defenseman somewhere.. just depends if we give up on him or not

Old
04-20-2013, 12:21 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
no he hasnt. he's gonna be a 2nd pairing defenseman somewhere.. just depends if we give up on him or not
Would Blum packaged with our first for next season get us a top ten pick this year ya think??

Considering next seasons pick would not be even top 15 most likely and in a weaker draft. Or is it worth just keeping Blum?

Old
04-20-2013, 12:27 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Would Blum packaged with our first for next season get us a top ten pick this year ya think??

Considering next seasons pick would not be even top 15 most likely and in a weaker draft. Or is it worth just keeping Blum?
i think its really hard to gauge the value of top ten picks.. thats a team to team basis and who they have on their board.

blum +2014 1st would get us a pick around the 8-10 range i would think but we would have to find a team not sold on anyone in the range their picking. also would hate to lose next years 1st.. the only moving up or anything like that that i want to see is if we aren't in the top 3 and poile is trading up to get mac/drouin

Old
04-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

We've already traded our only chip in Erat

Old
04-20-2013, 12:32 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

We should draft an IPA.

Oh wait, you guys mean sports draft. In that case, maybe BPA.

04-20-2013, 01:00 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Alternately we could lose and get MacKinnon but wonder how stupid we were for taking him because Barkov/Lindholm are tearing up the league.

I am numb to the losing, but I will never root for the team to lose.
That's an apples to oranges comparison. We might draft the wrong guy, but that's different from not being in a position to draft him anyway because we're out of the elite player range.

Every loss in the next week could pay huge dividends for the next decade. So, yes, I am actively rooting against the Preds for the remainder of the season.

Every single Cup winner since the lockout has had at least one top 3 pick (pretty much an elite player) contributing for them.

Except one - Detroit, and considering that we're yet to match Detroit's budget or attractiveness as a destination for FA's - if we want a cup we probably should get a top 3 pick.

And what better chance than this year?

Old
04-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
We should draft an IPA.

Oh wait, you guys mean sports draft. In that case, maybe BPA.
mmmmmm *passes out*

Old
04-20-2013, 01:04 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
mmmmmm *passes out*

If it's a first rder it should be a at least a keg of IPA but I expect a full brewery.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:16 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Mackinnon= Matt Duchene ? This is why you all want us to tank? Duchene is a good but he's not an elite ppg player.

Closed Thread