HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Question..

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 08:01 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Question..

Say you are a somewhat aging, yet contending franchise (Stars, Wings, you know the list) but you have a hard time making the playoffs.

And even if you manage to make the final 16, you'd probably go in as the 8th seed, facing arguably the best team in the NHL, this just in the first round. So, your chances of reaching the playoffs aren't exacly promesing, and the possibility of actually passing the first round is even slimmer. So, would you, as that aging franchise wich needs all the youth they can handle, especially when you consider the fact that the CBA and potential salary cap will only be an even bigger blow for your veterans and cup chances the following years, would you give it all that you got, trying to reach the playoffs and when you reach 'm, you'll just give it the same approach, again giving it all you've got and see where it takes you? Or would you be realistic and face the facts that it's nearly impossible to reach the postseason, and thus tank the season, hope for a high lotterly pick in order to stack up youth, much need youth. In order to create a better base for your new generation, post CBA.

These are the standings that matter at the time:

08) Team A: 70 games - 86 points
09) Team B: 70 games - 84 points
10) Team C: 71 games - 83 points
11) Team X: 69 games - 78 points

Team X is the team in question and Team X has been on a little tear for their doing, winning 4 straight.

So, what would you do? Note that this situation is quite simular to the Dallas Stars current situation (only much further ahead), as they got me thinking, but it could very much be your own team so please ignore which team in question it could possibly be.

Go for the playoffs.. Tank it ..?

Old
12-30-2003, 08:27 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

vCash: 500
Well, considering the Stars are 3 points out of first place in their division and have only lost 1 in their last 9, I'd say it's not the scenario we have to face quite yet.

However, that said, if it were to happen I would ALWAYS, ALWAYS be in favor of winning as many games and possible.

A team or organization that intentionally tanks it so that they can get a better draft pick is a joke and has no class. Especially in *this* sport, where drafting is not as essential as in sports with no minor league systems (i.e., football/basektball).

Old
12-30-2003, 10:45 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
I think you're looking a little to far into the word 'tanking'. I think what he is asking is if Team X should consider trading vets for youth if this situation does come true.

Closed Thread