HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Marc Methot to Edmonton?

Old
04-20-2013, 02:10 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
So what you're saying is that he should be valued on how he'd perform in Edmonton rather than how he is currently performing? I think this is where the disconnect between fan bases happens.

Methot has been lights out with Karlsson and without Karlsson this year. Why would Ottawa trade him?
It appears Methot isn't expendable which is understandable, I mean once Gonchar and Phillips are gone, then what?

I mean look at the defence depth chart in Ottawa, it's win-now.

Last edited by lakai17: 04-20-2013 at 02:43 PM.
lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:36 PM
HockeySens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
It appears Methot isn't expendable which is understandable, I mean once Gonchar and Phillips are gone, then what?

Borowiecki and Rutkowski.
lol, just because the sens are in the playoffs and can compete in the playoffs doesnt mean they are old and are in win now mode. Not all young teams are near the basement of the nhl. Boroweicki and Rutkowski is not our only defensive depth, gryba, wiercoch, are young, ceci is 19, wikstrand who had a good wjc and the ones you mentioned. Trades and free agency signing also happens and the sens can certainly get defenseman from there. And its not like the oilers defensive depth is tht much better, sure you guys have kelfbom, marincin but unlike some of our young guys your young dman are not even in the nhl yet. Dont talk about depth with the sens

Its we can almost win now, and we can still win tomorrow. The sens core are fairly young, with spezza being the oldest at 29.We have good mix of young and veterans, we can compete until karlsson et. al is able to play in the nhl.

Last edited by HockeySens: 04-20-2013 at 02:56 PM.
HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:52 PM
ChiassonTale

Quote:

Ceci, Borowiecki, Vikstrand are all looking like guys who could make the NHL. Also in the NHL right now the Sens have:

Karlsson - age 22
Wiercioch - age 22
Gryba - age 25
Cowen - age 22
Methot - age 27

I don't know what to say to someone thinking the Sens D has a short window for winning. The ages of those core guys and TONS of cap space bodes well for the future of Ottawa's D-Corps.

Last edited by ChiassonTale: 04-20-2013 at 03:04 PM.
ChiassonTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:

The depth chart is a little thin at this point for sure. Pretty much anyone within the organization who will play defense for Ottawa in the upcoming years has played this season. The importance of Ceci developing into a top 4 dman is pretty significant for the Sens. With that said, they've got a wealth of offensive prospects that they can trade away for defensive help if needed.

If anything, Ottawa should be trying to acquire more Methot-type dmen.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:59 PM
Prajna

Quote:

Borowiecki and Rutkowski.

Win now, lol. Because of Gochar and Phillips?
I think the future D in Ottawa is one of the strongest in the league.
Gonchar played well this year with Karlsson and Cowen out. With them back he is not as important. I believe Weircioch (next year) or Ceci (future) will fill that role. If not we may need a #4. Not a big deal. Phillips is a third pairing D man at this point.

Future:
Karlsson (22, need I explain?)
Cowen (22 already top 4)
Methot (27, top 4)

Weircioch (22, proven 5-6 at least, can play #4 role)
Gryba (25, proven 5-6 at least, can play #4 role)

Benoit (proven can play 5-6 role)
Borowiecki (23, next in line to make the jump)
Ceci (19, 1st round pick, top 4 potential?)

Prajna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
when the sens d gets healthy he is 5-6 on the team
Oh, hell no.

Marc Methot is our best defensive defenseman right now. At worst, he will be #3 (overall) when the Sens are fully healthy.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:14 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prajna View Post

Weircioch (22, proven 5-6 at least, can play #4 role)
Gryba (25, proven 5-6 at least, can play #4 role)

Benoit (proven can play 5-6 role)
Borowiecki (23, next in line to make the jump)
Ceci (19, 1st round pick, top 4 potential?)
Most organizations have 5/6 defenceman up and coming. I'm high on Ceci as well but we all know nothing is guaranteed.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Prajna

Quote:
Most organizations have 5/6 defenceman up and coming. I'm high on Ceci as well but we all know nothing is guaranteed.

You are missing the point. We practically have a top 4 set for the next decade, even without Ceci. Why did you leave out Karlsson and Cowen. They are the two most important pieces and are both 22. How many more up and coming do you need when you have 2 proven 22 year olds. Most teams 5 or 6 guys will not produce 2 guys like that.
There are also more potentials the Sens have that I left out.
Wikstrand
Claesson
Blood
Wideman
Sdao

Old
04-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
"Nothing is guaranteed".

Tell me how that doesn't apply to every single team in the NHL? Nothing is ever guaranteed that statement is redundant.

The Senators future on Defence is very bright. They have arguably the best Defenceman in the NHL (long term as well, and at least top 3). They have a under 23 D who is already a #3 and should become a good #2. We have another defender who has been by far the best Defenceman this year and at worst is a #3 d-man. We have a defenseman who in my opinion has had the second best rookie season for a D. Then, we have a 19 year old who should be a top 4, but if that doesn't work out we also have a first round pick this year, a grinder in Boro, and the most intriguing prospect of them all Mikael Wikstrand.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:30 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot12phil View Post
He has spent over half of these season (over 20 games), on our 1st pairing usually paired with Gryba(an AHLer before this year), playing against the other teams top forwards, on one of the best defensive teams in the league.....

Im fairly confident he can be a top pairing guy over the course of a full season with or without Karlsson.
We wouldn't need him to play against the other teams top forwards, Smid and Petry do a good job at that. We'd need him to play with Justin Schultz and cover for his mistakes while still helping create offense. The first, I agree he could do. The second, not so much. I'm sorry, but Marc Methot isn't a legitimate top pair d-man, which is what we need. You don't want to move him, and we don't need him.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
You are missing the point. We practically have a top 4 set for the next decade, even without Ceci. Why did you leave out Karlsson and Cowen. They are the two most important pieces and are both 22. How many more up and coming do you need when you have 2 proven 22 year olds. Most teams 5 or 6 guys will not produce 2 guys like that.
Wikstrand
Claesson
Blood
Wideman
Sdao
Not to mention he calls Gonchar and Phillips the reason were in win now.

Granted Gonchar has had a really good season, but Chris Phillips is a bottom pairing Defenceman when our team is healthy not a top pairing guy.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
We wouldn't need him to play against the other teams top forwards, Smid and Petry do a good job at that. We'd need him to play with Justin Schultz and cover for his mistakes while still helping create offense. The first, I agree he could do. The second, not so much. I'm sorry, but Marc Methot isn't a legitimate top pair d-man, which is what we need. You don't want to move him, and we don't need him.
Understood, but do you understand where we're coming from?

If you put yourself in our shoes you'd see that whether or not you think Methot is a #2 Defenceman right now, he is undoubtedly the second best Defenceman on our team.

So were not going to sell him for anything short of how he has been for us.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:35 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Theres a differnece between a guy expected to be at least a 5/6 dman than a guy expected to be at most 5/6 dman. Same thing could be said about the oilers really, Klefbom, marincin is on pace to be top 4 material but who knows till they actually start playing that role in the nhl.

And I dont understand what you mean by nothings guaranteed because everyody is not guaranteed at this point.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:39 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
So I like how overpays are acceptable for #5 D... but Eberle has lost value and is worth only unproven picks prospects... love this place and Sens fans... keep on keeping on...
#5D? He has been our #1D all year. When healthy he is #2 or 3.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:43 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Its not easy to find a #1 or #2 D without giving up some quality, if you can find a defenseman who you think is more of a #3 in a contending team but can play #2 minutes(which methot is) then you grab him unless there are better options, but chances are that a legitimate #2 defenseman is harder to find and will take a lot more to get than a #3 dman. You dont need a legitimate #2 dman if you have a legitimate #1 and a competent top 4. That can be said for the sens, sure methot is probably more of a #3 dman but he can eat up #2 dman minutes no problem, the sens have #1 in karlsson and our top 4 of methot, karlsson, gonchar cowen is acompetent top 4, not to mention our bottom 2 of philipps and wiercoch/gryba is competent as well.

Last edited by HockeySens: 04-20-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 03:45 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
"Nothing is guaranteed".

Tell me how that doesn't apply to every single team in the NHL? Nothing is ever guaranteed that statement is redundant.

The Senators future on Defence is very bright. They have arguably the best Defenceman in the NHL (long term as well, and at least top 3). They have a under 23 D who is already a #3 and should become a good #2. We have another defender who has been by far the best Defenceman this year and at worst is a #3 d-man. We have a defenseman who in my opinion has had the second best rookie season for a D. Then, we have a 19 year old who should be a top 4, but if that doesn't work out we also have a first round pick this year, a grinder in Boro, and the most intriguing prospect of them all Mikael Wikstrand.
Quote:
Wikstrand
Claesson
Blood
Wideman
Sdao
I understand building around Lehner and Karlsson you can throw anyone on that defence and win. They get the job done!

Old
04-20-2013, 03:47 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
lets look at a healthy sens line up

Chris Phillips 3.08
Jared Cowen 1.35
Erik Karlsson 6.5
Patrick Wiercioch .875
Eric Gryba .562
Marc Methot 3.0
Andre Benoit .650 ufa

gonchar is gone after this year and that is why i left him off the list

it will be interesting where methot fits in when karlsson and cowen are back and as Wiercioch develops-- melhot could be 5-6 d-man next year and at 3mill a year that is a lot
Wiercioch has along way to go before he passes Methot. Methot it better than Phillips.

MrCraigAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Phillips is not very good.

Ill tell you that.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:56 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Most organizations dont have three 22 year old defensmen who are full time NHLers.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Phillips is not very good.

Ill tell you that.
Must be why he plays the 3rd most minutes of any dman on the Sens. Phillips isn't the Phillips of old but he's still very solid and a top 4 guy.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:59 PM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Just awesome how some fans of other teams are telling Sens fans that Methot is their #5/6 Dman. When you are talking about a teams depth chart who better to trust then fans of that team. Why would you argue against them?

Old
04-20-2013, 04:03 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
Most organizations dont have three 22 year old defensmen who are full time NHLers.
Most organizations aren't blessed with the Anderson/Lehner tandem. Ottawa are second in the league for goals against. We all know Ottawa aren't a play-off contender for goal scoring.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Prajna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
Must be why he plays the 3rd most minutes of any dman on the Sens. Phillips isn't the Phillips of old but he's still very solid and a top 4 guy.

With Karlsson and Cowen back, that drops to fifth most minutes.
Where he belongs.....and declining!

Old
04-20-2013, 04:04 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
I understand building around Lehner and Karlsson you can throw anyone on that defence and win. They get the job done!
Definitely, the sens have the luxury of having a norris winner and good goaltending duo to build around, oilers dont have that, the sens have a better D and goaltending than the oilers right now , so young guys like gryba, wiercoch and in the future ceci will not be rushed and will get sheltered minutes and that speaks for the sens defensive depth. Im pretty sure it would be better for J. Schultz development if he isnt relied as much than the oilers have. He is a young guy, in his first nhl season and he is already the main offensive dman of the oilers. For a guy like him it would e better for his development if he got sheltered minutes similar to wiercoch, unfortunately for him the oilers dont have a guy like gonchar to mentor him or help him with his development.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Prajna

Quote:
Most organizations aren't blessed with the Anderson/Lehner tandem. Ottawa are second in the league for goals against. We all know Ottawa aren't a play-off contender for goal scoring.

Goal scoring increases significantly with the best offensive Dman in the league and two 30+ goal scorers added to the lineup.
You don't know what you are talking about and you are not convincing anyone here.