HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Western Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

WC D1A Budapest, Hungary (Final roster announced)

Old
04-20-2013, 06:41 AM
Alpine

vCash: 500
3-1 game over
DOWN DOWN
I'll let Johnny Cash due the honours
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhWJF35Q81k

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

oh well, at least the Rangers won last night and Mustafina is certain to win another gold medal on the uneven bars today

Darren Peng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Terrible performance so far. Not good.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:08 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

4-1. That's it. Good night Irene. Pathetic performance today.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Is that the goal scorers name?
I reffed Bracknell U12's last week and they had a player with the last name 'Hoang' and I was like hmm only 1 letter away from Ho-Sang! kid had a rocket of a shot for his age but couldn't hit the net

Old
04-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I was kind've hoping before this tournament that we possibly could come third with a good performance against Japan, but more likely 4th. Shame that we've been relegated. Means that next year we'll be playing against;

Belgium or Croatia depending on who wins that
Netherlands
Romania
Ukraine or Poland
Estonia or Lithuania.

I think that's right.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:40 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

hopefully this will be a wake up call to IHUK

Old
04-20-2013, 08:20 AM
3 Minute Minor

I'm kind of glad to be completely honest. Going into this tournament I knew there were two games that were highly highly unlikely for GB to win. Now I expect 4-5 wins next year at the WC Div 1B and it isn't unrealistic.

It's disappointing but I wanna see GB winning more lol

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
I'm kind of glad to be completely honest. Going into this tournament I knew there were two games that were highly highly unlikely for GB to win. Now I expect 4-5 wins next year at the WC Div 1B and it isn't unrealistic.

It's disappointing but I wanna see GB winning more lol
At that level we should win every game.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

If we don't get promotion next year then I'd be worried.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:58 AM
3 Minute Minor

Can we just have a 20 year old Tony Hand available? Just 1, we're not greedy

Old
04-20-2013, 12:25 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
At that level we should win every game.
You should. But on the other hand, you lost to Koreans 4-1 and it's not like they dominated "at that level" last year.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:40 PM
villevalo

Quote:
hopefully this will be a wake up call to IHUK
It won't be, those at the IHUK will still be picking up their checks regardless of what happens.

One governing body. That needs to be the first step.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:44 PM
3 Minute Minor

Seems like a lot of people on twitter were calling for Tony Hand to be fired... People were fine with him after last years WC and both parts of the OGQ's, why is it not his fault? Seemed like most who said it said they need a coach from EIHL & he should be a full time coach not just a player. Problem is I don't think the national team pays well enough for Hand to quit hockey & be a full time coach. I saw a few people talking about grassroots programs as well.

There's a lot more issues involved then just the coaching of Tony Hand lol firing the coach is literally the simplest/least effective solution. If he doesn't have the resources that other coaches at this level have then whoever has the job will be at a disadvantage, Paul Thompson was never relegated but he never coached in the 1A/1B system either. Not saying Thompson isn't a good coach lol just saying relegation wasn't as easy when you're playing Div 1B teams as well.

If Hand & GB was relegated at the 1B level to Div 2A then I'd definitely understand calling for his head but right now it's kinda silly. They only lost to 1 team ranked worse then them after getting beat up by teams that were ranked better then them all tournament lol

Old
04-20-2013, 01:52 PM
3 Minute Minor

Next years group:

GB, Poland (23), Netherlands (24), Romania(27), Lithuania(25), Croatia(30) or Belgium(36) (they're playing soon for promotion)

Ukraine was promoted which is a good thing, they're a tough out and ranked higher then GB.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

Quote:
Seems like a lot of people on twitter were calling for Tony Hand to be fired... People were fine with him after last years WC and both parts of the OGQ's, why is it not his fault? Seemed like most who said it said they need a coach from EIHL & he should be a full time coach not just a player. Problem is I don't think the national team pays well enough for Hand to quit hockey & be a full time coach. I saw a few people talking about grassroots programs as well.

There's a lot more issues involved then just the coaching of Tony Hand lol firing the coach is literally the simplest/least effective solution. If he doesn't have the resources that other coaches at this level have then whoever has the job will be at a disadvantage, Paul Thompson was never relegated but he never coached in the 1A/1B system either. Not saying Thompson isn't a good coach lol just saying relegation wasn't as easy when you're playing Div 1B teams as well.

If Hand & GB was relegated at the 1B level to Div 2A then I'd definitely understand calling for his head but right now it's kinda silly. They only lost to 1 team ranked worse then them after getting beat up by teams that were ranked better then them all tournament lol
I spoke to someone today who said Tony Hand needs to be fired because he just stood there all game every game and didn't really seem to do a lot of "coaching" and the guy also didn't agree with his roster selections.

Though I do agree relegation isn't the end of the world, if you look at the past history we regularly finished 4th or 5th under the old format which would see us in D1B. However, we are supposed to be improving. Korea is a team we should be beating looking at the rankings and past results but evidently they have improved and we haven't.

But really I am angry because we underperformed, I know the team can do better, we beat Hungary last year and they dominated us this year. Our best players played badly.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:59 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
I spoke to someone today who said Tony Hand needs to be fired because he just stood there all game every game and didn't really seem to do a lot of "coaching" and the guy also didn't agree with his roster selections.

Though I do agree relegation isn't the end of the world, if you look at the past history we regularly finished 4th or 5th under the old format which would see us in D1B. However, we are supposed to be improving. Korea is a team we should be beating looking at the rankings and past results but evidently they have improved and we haven't.

But really I am angry because we underperformed, I know the team can do better, we beat Hungary last year and they dominated us this year. Our best players played badly.
Let's look though:
2013 (0-5) - Kazakhstan, Italy, Hungary, Japan, South Korea
2012 (2-3) - Slovenia, Austria, Hungary, Japan, Ukraine
2011 (4-1) - Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania, Estonia, Kazakhstan.
2010 (2-2-1)- Slovenia, Hungary, Poland, South Korea, Croatia
2009 (2-2-1)- Italy, Ukraine, Poland, Netherlands, Romania
2008 (2-2-1)- Austria, Kazakhstan, Poland, Netherlands, South Korea
2007 (2-3)- Slovenia, Hungary, Japan, Lithunia, Romania
2006 (1-4)- Germany, France, Japan, Hungary, Israel
2005 (2-3)- Norway, Poland, Hungary, Japan, China

Hand got them to win a couple games last year in Div 1A which was really impressive, no other GB faced competition as good as that as you can see above. They appear to be a tweener that will likely bounce up and down between 1A & 1B. If you look at who they've played (above) and who they usually beat, it's usually Div1B teams with the odd wins against 1A teams.

I donno why I was thinking Japan was an easy win, short term memory I guess because if you look at their history against some of the winnable teams from this year the matchups are much closer/favoring the opposition then I figured:

2005 - Japan 5 GB 3 / GB 3 Hungary 0
2006 - Japan 4 GB 2 / GB 3 Hungary 4
2007 - Japan 3 GB 4 / GB 2 Hungary 4
2008 - GB 4 South Korea 1
2009 - 4 teams currently in Div 1B and finished 3-2
2010 - GB 2 Korea 1 / GB 0 Hungary 2
2011 - Everyone but Kazakstan in Div1B finished 4-1
2012 - Japan 5 GB 0 / GB 5 Hungary 4

GB beat Hungary once 3-0 8 years ago then squeezed out a close win last year. Japan man handled GB last year and GB's only wins at the WC was a really close 4-3 win. Only played South Korea twice and it was 4-1 & 2-1. It's not like their numbers against Estonia or Lithuania lol it's actually a real close matchup. And considering they faced them after 4 loses to better teams, where they really didn't get anything going, odds of them losing were likely a bit higher.

Tony Hand probably didn't make the best selections when building the roster, I can agree with that. With that said, they hired a guy who is still a full time player and coach in the EPL he can't see most of the guys he's trying to pick from. I doubt they offered him enough to get him to retire from playing and become a full time coach for the national team that goes out and scouts the players he'll be picking from and trying to make the best choices.

Also I think GB players have been getting better, there have obviously been better young players being developed in GB then in the past which is why the national team has been ranked where they are despite losing the dual nationals, but the player development is still really broken. Tom Squires said it well:
Tom Squires ‏@tomsquires91 7h
Can't believe the amount of people slagging @TeamGBicehockey off!
People are going off as if they went out there to get relegated! 1/3

The countries that have beaten them have the correct set up from grassroots all the way through and the sport has been invested in! 2/3

There needs to be something put in place that helps everyone from beginner all the way up to pro! Make a long term plan and stick with it!

Firing Tony Hand over 1 poor showing against teams ranked better then them in 1 tournament after last years great showing at the WC Div1A & a great job at the OGQ is hilarious. There's much bigger issues that need addressing in GB hockey but it seems like everyone is always thinking short term

Old
04-20-2013, 03:37 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Patience in sports is a rare and precious value. It isn't a common trait in British sports culture.

Relegation isn't a huge shock. It was a plausible outcome going in. I didn't catch the games, but it seems like they underperformed.

Still, the issues in the game are much wider and deeper than this singular tournament. Much as they were when we had a solid olympic qualification effort.

I suspect with the current format the yo-yo effect will be a common theme.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:55 PM
3 Minute Minor

Individual Awards:

Best Goalie: Adam Dennis (Toronto, ON, Canada)
Best D-man: Aaron Keller (Kamloops, BC, Canada)
Best Forward: Patrick Iannone (Fruitvale, BC, Canada)
MVP: Patrick Iannone (Fruitvale, BC, Canada)

Old
04-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Darren Peng
Nang

needless to say, THF is in uproar right now

Old
04-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

Some people are seriously actually saying to just fill the team with dual nationals again

Quote:
Just get a load of Canadians who can play hockey with British passports...

I've been following UK hockey for about 12 years with some seriousness. In that time we've done nothing whilst bleating about bringing kids through and real Brits into the game.

It is not going to happen in a country with no rinks and a passion for soccer ball !

Go get the guys who can play. Get the best we can find.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:25 AM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
Some people are seriously actually saying to just fill the team with dual nationals again

You should point out the fact that GB is currently ranked 21st which is the highest it's ever been, which includes years when GB was loaded with Canadian dual nationals

I do find it a bit funny that you seem to think nothing can be done to improve hockey at the grassroots level in GB but you want the team to be all GB born & trained players then get mad when they aren't beating teams with proper grassroots programs (and some with a load of dual nationals like Italy)

Old
04-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Darren Peng
Nang

When have I ever said nothing can be done?

1) Limit the total number of minutes a non-British starting goalie can play during the season in EIHL (like they do in the KHL)
2) Bring back U19's

There, 2 excellent ideas I thought of in 2 minutes that will bring improvement and require no effort whatsoever to implement

Telford Tigers have already taken a new initiative to attract a new generation of fans and players

Quote:
TIGERS ANNOUNCE SEASON TICKET DEAL FOR U10's

Telford Tigers are pleased to announce that for the 2013-14 season the club are offering free season tickets to Under 10’s.

Anyone under 10 years old on 1st Sept 2013 will be eligible for a free season ticket, which they will be able to use when accompanied to games by a paying adult. The club have taken this decision to encourage a new generation of Tigers fans and families to come along and support the club.

As a club the Tigers have a loyal and passionate fan base second to none and want to reward existing fans and encourage new support from within the local community.

Tigers player coach, and head coach of the juniors Tom Watkins said “I think it’s a great scheme and as a club, junior hockey development is key for us and I believe this offer along with our schools programme will help attract the next generation of junior hockey players and Tigers players of the future, as well as new Tigers fans.”

Last edited by Darren Peng: 04-21-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old
04-21-2013, 04:06 PM
3 Minute Minor

David Phillips?

Old
04-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Bojovnik

Send a message via MSN to Bojovnik