HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 11:29 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Would be interested in Fistric, although is he anything more than a bigger Bouillon? He doesn't seem to be a big fighter or anything...
I would sooner have a big hitter than a fighter at this point. Fistric has 79 hits in 21 games or almost 4 hits per game. That would put him at about #6 in the league over the course of a full year and well ahead of anyone currently playing for the Habs including Emelin who is averaging about 3 hits per game.

As for fighting, he can probably handle himself better than any of our current defensemen... not a goon but not a softie either.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I would sooner have a big hitter than a fighter at this point. Fistric has 79 hits in 21 games or almost 4 hits per game. That would put him at about #6 in the league over the course of a full year and well ahead of anyone currently playing for the Habs including Emelin who is averaging about 3 hits per game.

As for fighting, he can probably handle himself better than any of our current defensemen... not a goon but not a softie either.
He's also a very average defenseman. I don't see the point of collecting bottom pairing guys when we already have too many of them.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Montreal definitely still needs to address size on the wings and a physical top 4 defenseman?

Sign Clarkson.

Trade for Byfuglien.

easier said than done tho
I wouldn't trade for Byfuglien. His yo-yo weight gain and loss will eventually catch up to him and it's a huge red flag for me when it comes to his dedication to working out, keeping in shape and ultimately taking his career seriously.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Montreal definitely still needs to address size on the wings and a physical top 4 defenseman?

Sign Clarkson.

Trade for Byfuglien.

easier said than done tho
Size on the wings? Other than Gionta and Gallagher, who are both fearless, our other wingers are all above average size...Pacioretty Ryder Bourque Galchenyuk Moen Prust Armstrong.

Byfuglien is an offensive d-man with below average defense, not a good fit with what we currently have. Yes he is the biggest guy in the NHL, but he is also out of shape and has little endurace. Not to mention that he would cost a lot to trade for.

Clarkson is a solid player, but no way he is worth close to the 5 mil/year that he might cost to bring in. If we want another fighter, get a big guy like Kassian or McLaren to play 35-40 games a year.

Adding size on defense will be Tinordi, if they don't want to rush him sign a 1 year guy to split time with Bouillon.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
He's also a very average defenseman. I don't see the point of collecting bottom pairing guys when we already have too many of them.
He could be a nice fit for 1 year if Tinordi isn't ready to make the jump.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Talk about overpaying for Clowe. Dude is not worth it at his age and after the season he has had. Yes he has improved in NY but I would be too worried he would **** the bed next year again and he is not worth that much on the lowered cap.

Hossa is old and from what some Chicago fans have been saying, no where near the player he once was. He is likely a buyout candidate. Another no thanks unless he is bought out and signs for a year at much lower.
This team will need some size next season. The small skilled players will take a beating over 82 games. We will see if MB knows what he is doing. The team as is will not make the playoffs next season. You do have to overpay for free agents...especially the ones that can protect and score.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Size on the wings? Other than Gionta and Gallagher, who are both fearless, our other wingers are all above average size...Pacioretty Ryder Bourque Galchenyuk Moen Prust Armstrong.

Byfuglien is an offensive d-man with below average defense, not a good fit with what we currently have. Yes he is the biggest guy in the NHL, but he is also out of shape and has little endurace. Not to mention that he would cost a lot to trade for.

Clarkson is a solid player, but no way he is worth close to the 5 mil/year that he might cost to bring in. If we want another fighter, get a big guy like Kassian or McLaren to play 35-40 games a year.

Adding size on defense will be Tinordi, if they don't want to rush him sign a 1 year guy to split time with Bouillon.
Its the top 6 that Montreal is lacking. If you include centers, its 4 out of the top 6 that are rug rats and the ones with size bring no real physical dimension to the team.

Ryder is a UFA, Bourque has shown very minimal aside from his start this year, and showed nothing last year. So we are left with Pacioretty.

Overall, its not ideal over the course of a full season in having 2 out of 3 players on each of the top two lines under 5-10.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:30 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
This team will need some size next season. The small skilled players will take a beating over 82 games. We will see if MB knows what he is doing. The team as is will not make the playoffs next season. You do have to overpay for free agents...especially the ones that can protect and score.
If, say, McQuaid takes it easy on Gallagher or DD because Clowe is in the lineup, then McQuaid will be out of a job.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

It wouldn't be so bad if our centers weren't small too, which is why I'm looking forward to having Galchenyuk-Eller as our 1-2 center punch. Eller should already be used there but for some reason Therrien just doesn't want to downgrade DD.

Byf still puts up 50ish points. For an out of shape guy, he's doing fairly well.
There's no question I would bring him here if the trading price was reasonable.
You can also change the attitude of a player.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:59 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Can't argue with him being average or slightly below average, I was pointing out what he would bring to a team.

By definition, however, everyone should remember that an average NHL defenseman is probably a #3 or #4 guy while a below average would be a #5 or #6 defenseman. You are right, we do have too many bottom pairing defensemen but on our team the bottom pairing guys tend to be skill guys and many other teams they tend to be muscle guys. We lack muscle on our defense.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:26 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
If, say, McQuaid takes it easy on Gallagher or DD because Clowe is in the lineup, then McQuaid will be out of a job.
No, McQuaid will do his job. Clowe will do his job.

Right now McQuaid gets to do his job without any costs associated with it. Clowe would cause McQuaid to pay a little bit more to do his job.

Just like today when Tanner Glass of the Pens tuned McQuaid up.

Really simple concept.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:27 PM

Dupuis looked very good today. He would be a nice addition next year along with Clowe or Clarkson.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Right now McQuaid gets to do his job without any costs associated with it. Clowe would cause McQuaid to pay a little bit more to do his job.

Really simple concept.
I'm not arguing that there wouldn't be added cost for McQuaid. I'm arguing that it wouldn't make a difference at all for Gallagher and DD.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:48 PM
HCH

Quote:
Dupuis looked very good today. He would be a nice addition next year along with Clowe or Clarkson.
I hate to rain on your parade buy you gotta keep salary cap limitations in mind... not only for next year but the year after as well. Unless we could shed some salary (Gionta?) we would be in salary cap hell once again

Old
04-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Draft

I've come to the conclusion/realization that the best thing for this team to do is to do very little. I got a little excited for some big moves... got talked out of it . Alright, there was bad feedback. Most of the core pieces are in place to compete for the next 4-8 years.

There is a problem on defence. I'm not a huge fan of Emelin or Diaz but I think they'll do fine until Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready for top 4 minutes. If Desharnais can be moved to improve defence in the top-4, nothing would make me happier. If he can't, I just hope he's not part of the future of the team . If there are no trades for improvement, sign a plug and wait it out.

Core players:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
XXXX-Eller-XXXX
xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx

Subban-XXX
Tinordi-Beaulieu
xxx-xxx

Price

Top-End Prospects (insert them where you will):
Kristo, Ellis, Hudon, Bozon, Leblanc, Bournival, Pateryn, Collberg, Holland

Something that's sorely missing is size and physicality in our potential top 9, as we are missing now. I think that if we can acquire a player now to develop with our core, it would really benefit the future of the team. The easiest way to fill this need is through the draft (De La Rose, Gauthier, Wennberg, Mantha etc.). Another possibility is by signing an RFA this summer. My two ideal candidates would be Jordan Caron and Magnus Paajarvi. Both have high potential, size and, hopefully, availability.

What I hope to see next year:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Leblanc/Caron/Paajarvi-Galchenyuk-Bickell
Moen-Prust-Carcillo

Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz
Markov-Bouillon
(Weber/improvement/plug)

Price
Budaj

Old
04-20-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I've come to the conclusion/realization that the best thing for this team to do is to do very little. I got a little excited for some big moves... got talked out of it . Alright, there was bad feedback. Most of the core pieces are in place to compete for the next 4-8 years.

There is a problem on defence. I'm not a huge fan of Emelin or Diaz but I think they'll do fine until Tinordi and Beaulieu are ready for top 4 minutes. If Desharnais can be moved to improve defence in the top-4, nothing would make me happier. If he can't, I just hope he's not part of the future of the team . If there are no trades for improvement, sign a plug and wait it out.

Core players:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
XXXX-Eller-XXXX
xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx

Subban-XXX
Tinordi-Beaulieu
xxx-xxx

Price

Top-End Prospects (insert them where you will):
Kristo, Ellis, Hudon, Bozon, Leblanc, Bournival, Pateryn, Collberg, Holland

Something that's sorely missing is size and physicality in our potential top 9, as we are missing now. I think that if we can acquire a player now to develop with our core, it would really benefit the future of the team. The easiest way to fill this need is through the draft (De La Rose, Gauthier, Wennberg, Mantha etc.). Another possibility is by signing an RFA this summer. My two ideal candidates would be Jordan Caron and Magnus Paajarvi. Both have high potential, size and, hopefully, availability.

What I hope to see next year:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Leblanc/Caron/Paajarvi-Galchenyuk-Bickell
Moen-Prust-Carcillo

Gorges-Subban
Emelin-Diaz
Markov-Bouillon
(Weber/improvement/plug)

Price
Budaj
Way too soft. Trade Gionta, get Clowe or Clarkson and another sizeable winger....not Leblanc/Caron/Paajarvi

Old
04-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing that there wouldn't be added cost for McQuaid. I'm arguing that it wouldn't make a difference at all for Gallagher and DD.
I hope you are kidding. Adding Clowe plus other sizeable players would give more room for our small forwards.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Draft

Quote:
Way too soft. Trade Gionta, get Clowe or Clarkson and another sizeable winger....not Leblanc/Caron/Paajarvi
Gionta has a NTC and is our captain. Clowe or Clarkson are overrated and will be severely overpaid over too many years for me to have any interest in them for the future, I doubt we could sign them anyways. Caron and Paajarvi aren't very soft, Leblanc may very well be. Bickell adds size and toughness, as does Carcillo or whichever grinder we sign. It's a much bigger, stronger line-up than we have this year. We don't need to be the Bruins.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I hope you are kidding. Adding Clowe plus other sizeable players would give more room for our small forwards.
Because NHL dmen would be scared of retaliation and limit their tactics to poke checking? Or because the big guys would block for the little guys, NFL style? In reality, I don't see any of this happening.

Forwards have to create their own space. The exception being when a forward is so strong on the puck that he attracts multiple defenders - but size is not the only way of getting that done.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Draft

Quote:
Because NHL dmen would be scared of retaliation and limit their tactics to poke checking? Or because the big guys would block for the little guys, NFL style? In reality, I don't see any of this happening.

Forwards have to create their own space. The exception being when a forward is so strong on the puck that he attracts multiple defenders - but size is not the only way of getting that done.
Montreal has been incredibly successful this year getting separation from defenders because of.... wait for it... speed.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:39 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Sure it would.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Montreal has been incredibly successful this year getting separation from defenders because of.... wait for it... speed.
Speed won't help when they are injured or scared to go into the corners.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:53 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Really simple concept.
So if everyone will do their job regardless what difference does it truly make?

Old
04-20-2013, 04:54 PM
goman

Quote:
I'd posted this on the other thread before it closed. Any interest in Seabrook as a 1.5?

The Habs won't struggle under the cap this summer, unlike several teams with lots of defensive depth. From the sounds of it, Chicago fans have been quite unimpressed with Seabrook this year. Apparently he's been outperformed by Hjalmarsson, thus making Hjalmarsson a no-trade and Seabrook a possibility (to the fans at least). His contract is 5.8mil until 2016-2017. He's big, tough, offensively reliable, 27yrs old. He is one of the best defenceman in the league but, perhaps not this year from the sounds of things. What would it take to get him? Chicago needs a cheap #2 Center, likely a cheap defenceman in return and perhaps bottom 6 wingers. What can be made around the following? Is there interest for Montreal giving up real assets?
Maybe something around...

C Shaw
D Seabrook

for

C Desharnais
D Dias

Chicago can move Bolland to the 3C, Dias is a cheap top 4 d.

Montreal gets a 3C and promotes Eller. Shaw was a Bervegin find IIRC. And Seabrook to big a bigger, stronger Dias.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Seabrook
Emelin-Tinordi

In a few years

Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Seabrook
Emelin-Gorges

Old
04-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Speed won't help when they are injured or scared to go into the corners.
Can you name a player on the Habs that is currently scared to go into the corners?

Closed Thread