HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Cooke hatefest

Old
04-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Flamingo

vCash: 500
He's been nominated for the Masterson? Jack Edwards had some choice words about that.

Quote:
Ian Mendes Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes 1h

Jack Edwards on NESN: "Nominating Cooke for the Masterton is the equivalent of nominating Sirhan Sirhan as the prisoner of the year."
Quote:
Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes 1h

Edwards added: "Outrageous lack of judgment on the part of the Pittsburgh press."

Last edited by Flamingo: 04-20-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:16 PM
starling

I love Cooke hate. The crowd on Monday will be amazing. Can't wait.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:07 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
I responded to this thread (which is RSU wanting retribution for the Karlsson injury) and you were the one who quoted me in the first place (asking me if I wanted another player to get injured). I responded to your post and people whining in this thread.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Caje

This whole RSU thing is dumb anyway. He's going to get booed regardless, that isn't something that needs to be organized.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
- That being said we simply cannot afford to lose a game just to make a point: we need to win because that's what the teams behind us in the standings are all doing. I would be very disappointed with the team if they did anything deliberate that could jeopardize the playoffs because this team has worked it's butt off and in spite of the ridiculous amount of injuries (half the payroll was gone at one point! HALF!) is still in the playoffs; risking it all just to make a point would be unprofessional and, honestly, a bit disgusting because I don't want to cheer for a team that puts responding over winning and securing a playoff spot, the Cup matters a whole lot more than Karlsson does and it looks like he'll be back soon anyway. If we had clinched a playoff spot and we pretty much locked in position then I would expect some kind of retribution though: these kinds of events need to be acknowledged by both teams but in the end, in pro sports, winning in the single most important thing; acting like angry children goes against that.
We did that in the playoffs against NYR last year, I don't see why we wouldn't retaliate now.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:45 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Cooke has done very bad things (and Pens told him they would kick him out if another incident occured after McDonagh hit), but that was not on purpose.

I can't believe people are still talking about that.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Ed Wood

I'd like to think most Sens fans had more class than the teams' owner. I'd like to think that but it seems as if at least half of them don't.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:54 PM
hossy316

Send a message via MSN to hossy316
Possible that EK returns Monday night too???

hossy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:55 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I'd like to think most Sens fans had more class than the teams' owner. I'd like to think that but it seems as if at least half of them don't.
This word has been thrown around the league like it holds any kind of merit these days. If wanting to see Cooke's face meet Neil's fist followed directly by Cookes face meeting Kassians, Smiths and Cowens fist is classless then add me to the "classless" Sens fans list

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:57 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Ottawa crowds have always been more motivated by negative emotion than positive emotion.

I don't necessarily agree with it, but there you go.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:03 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
I'm not so sure what is classy about having players like Matt Cooke in the NHL. Actually, it's kinda what makes the NHL the bush league that it is.

Where's the class to be found in this situation? The self-satisfying feeling of ill-conceived forgiveness? The class of your insult?

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Ed Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
This word has been thrown around the league like it holds any kind of merit these days. If wanting to see Cooke's face meet Neil's fist followed directly by Cookes face meeting Kassians, Smiths and Cowens fist is classless then add me to the "classless" Sens fans list
Done.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Quote:
Melnyk is the only reason Ottawa has its own team to cheer for. If he get's upset when his best player is taken out of the game, accidental or not, he has every right to be, and I think Senators fans should cut him a break if he runs his mouth from time to time.

Anyway, let me explain this "Cooke Hate" in a way that some of the more... "classy" among us will understand:

We don't want Cooke dead. We don't want him maimed. We don't want him concussed. We want him to stop being a reckless endangerment to the opposing players he faces every game. Whether being accident or by design, Cooke continues to injure other players, even after he "changed". It needs to stop. The best and most reliable way for that to happen is to simply not have Matt Cooke play anymore NHL games again.

Cooke doesn't belong in the NHL. Not because of skill level, but because of the fact that he continues to be a risk to the safety of other players. Obviously, this is hockey, and people will get hurt. But name another player who has seriously injured as many guys in this league as Matt Cooke. Slim pickings there, right? That's because Cooke is, best case scenario, a dangerous, reckless individual who doesn't consider the health of other players before he acts. Whether accidental or not, he hurts people. How long will it be until he puts someone else on the shelf for 3 months, or a year, or outright ends another player's career? The league as a whole would be better off without him being on the ice.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:31 PM
SilverSeven

I didnt even know RSU was still around. They certainly dont make much noise at games considering that was the whole point. To be "real fans".

SilverSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:42 PM
cdavis*

Eugene Melnyk spends 7 million a year on this guy. I have read and heard a lot of people criticizing his comments., but he has the right.

As of now, no one can prove definitively whether the incident was purposeful or accidental. He wants to put his own money into potentially proving intent, he is allowed to protect his assets. In fact- if a businessman doesn't explore damages for something as serious as this, he is irresponsible.

I highly doubt people would be so closed-minded about a rich guy trying to prove if damage to his Ferrari was purposeful or accidental. The only difference here is that Erik Karlsson is a human and is worth more than 14 times that of a Ferrari. You can't say Eugene Melnyk shouldn't get kudos for looking after his own, any player would love to be on a team where the owner cares this much.

Cooke slit Karlsson's leg open TO THE BONE, that is morbid and sick. Accidental or not, this guys' past is too much of a coincidence not to look into this further. Even if he didn't have the past he does and even if this WAS accidental, he still should have been suspended. Provided this was accidental, this is the most reckless 'accidental' play to ever happen in the NHL, that in and of itself deserves some discipline.

Cooke is very much akin to Brian Boyle in that they're both pussaaaaysss that try to do the tough guy thing and then when the piper comes, they are too cowardly to drop the gloves. I'm not one to wish physical pain on another human, but I wish Carkner was here to jump Cooke WORSE than what he did to Boyle. Let's see what Neil, Kassian, Cowen and/or Smith have to say on Monday. I'll be there.

cdavis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

I still can't believe they nominated Cooke.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Magix

Quote:
So calling the owner and half the fanbase classless (or low class) is classy?

And this is all because they want cooke to answer for what he did? Guess this is the only place where you'd have the balls to say that.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Move on...

If Mac asks Neil/Kassian/Cowen etc to smash Cooke then so be it...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:48 PM
pmedguy
Welcome back#87

I agree GET OVER IT. Stay classy Ottawa, stay classy. No need to sink to the level of Vancouver or Montreal fans.

pmedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:51 PM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I still can't believe they nominated Cooke.
That is odd to say the least. What kind of a response would they expect to that?

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:26 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Who cares, happened two months ago, freak accident...

A tifo is cool, but the whole wanted thing... wouldn't be surprised if they security/ushers/NHL don't let that thing into the arena.

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:20 PM
chipsens

vCash: 670
I'd like to pray for Cooke's soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
On ice garbage won't end this type of thing. There's no 'response', hockey related or otherwise. What I'm saying is Matt Cooke should not be in the NHL anymore. That's all. He has forfeited his right to a NHL contract due to his reckless behaviour. The players of the NHLPA can't trust him, the NHL brass can't trust him, and the fans don't need him. That's my stance. A punch in the face from anyone ... hardly the point.
I heartily agree with McNorth. **** Cooke. I'd like to pray for Cooke's soul (like some of the soccer moms),...but snakes and vipers have no soul.

chipsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:33 PM
chipsens

vCash: 670
Monday's game against the Cookie-Cutters will be some kind of litmus test. Guts anyone, or tiddly-winks?

chipsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Kadri43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
I would like to see this and more.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:48 AM
exv91

I don't know, I think cooke's foot came down on EKs ankle with some purposeful downward force when you watch the replay. I think he got away with one there. Hopefully one of our lads can show him how it's done properly tomorrow night. Payback is a *****.

exv91 is offline   Reply With Quote