HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 03:55 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
People will have to slow down on his "insane positional play". We do notice that for a big guy Price moves way too much in front of his net. And don't believe me....as much as you think he's an idiot and a bad coach, we could at least probably believe what Patrick Roy has to say on that subject. And he also believes he moves way too much for a big goalie. And that's not solely based on yesterday or his bad stretch. It's incredible that it wasn't fixed yet.

Some of the incredible saves he made yesterday, would have been put on the "Those were incredible saves but that's because he's average positionnaly and had to stretch out" if his name wasn't Price. Yet, he made those saves and that's exactly what he needed to his game going....or so we hope.

Price do have his flaws. From his movement, to him being on his knees too often, to his puck tracking, to him not using his stick well enough to protect the 5-hole. Still work to be done. But he's 26. So it either means, it's already late to work on everything....or still young for a goalie. Take your pick.
Bit ironic WS, watch Patrick against Rangers semis OT game 3, 86. He was jumping around like a maniac to keep the puck out.

I've played nets. Not well, but enough. The key thing as a goalie is to do ANYTHING to keep the puck out of your net, pretty or not. That is what I look for in a goalie.

Technique is very important, but when things go pear shaped, a great goalie will use his head, face or his ass to keep the puck out. THAT is what makes great goal tending.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:59 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Agreed. Patrick Roy last night made a very good point. Even though Price had a good game, you can still see that Price is in a funk and anxious in nets and that manifests itself in him being overly aggressive.

When he is on his game he is very confident positionally and you don't see him over committing.
You can never be 'over aggressive' as an NHL goalie. You need to be massively aggressive on the puck, on the shooter. Roy is being a bit silly here, as he was the best in the game at doing exactly that.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:05 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Price could be top 65 and people would still say hes a top 10 regardless

But he did play a good game yesterday regardless he was lucky.. he took some chances and was more involved in the game...thats what I want to see from Carey Price.
Exactly. Goaltending is not passive, you need to be aggressive, challenging the shooter and grabbing that puck every chance you can. Price knows this, every NHL goalie knows this. He's being too passive, and he knows it.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:48 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Exactly. Goaltending is not passive, you need to be aggressive, challenging the shooter and grabbing that puck every chance you can. Price knows this, every NHL goalie knows this. He's being too passive, and he knows it.
You can't be aggressive in net when you don't trust your defense. Which is the issue right now. If I challenge a shooter on a 2-on-1 and my D can't stop the cross-ice pass? It's a tap in on the empty net.

The goaltender and defense have to play in unison. On the same page. If they are not, then as a goaltender, you are forced to play a bit deeper, be less aggressive, and be ready for any offensive play since your defense is unreliable.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:30 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You can't be aggressive in net when you don't trust your defense. Which is the issue right now. If I challenge a shooter on a 2-on-1 and my D can't stop the cross-ice pass? It's a tap in on the empty net.

The goaltender and defense have to play in unison. On the same page. If they are not, then as a goaltender, you are forced to play a bit deeper, be less aggressive, and be ready for any offensive play since your defense is unreliable.
This is very true and very important. It's not something that is easily communicated but there has to be a unison between the D and goalie. Without it, it's the goalies job to compensate on his own unfortunately.

WTK made one of the best points I've seen in a while in this thread. Overall some of the technical discussions in this thread have been really good lately. Maybe because there have been goalies contributing lately and as a former goalie, I can relate to what they are saying.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Bit ironic WS, watch Patrick against Rangers semis OT game 3, 86. He was jumping around like a maniac to keep the puck out.

I've played nets. Not well, but enough. The key thing as a goalie is to do ANYTHING to keep the puck out of your net, pretty or not. That is what I look for in a goalie.

Technique is very important, but when things go pear shaped, a great goalie will use his head, face or his ass to keep the puck out. THAT is what makes great goal tending.
You do know that technique has changed from 86 to 2013. And was amongst the first ones to perfect the butterfly. A style NOT made to jump around everywhere. Technique is indeed important but frankly, what's ironic is that we kept saying that Price didn't have to make all those acrobatic saves since he was always square to the shot. So which is it? And clearly Price by going alwyas on his knees plays the percentage. He chose that style and believes he'll stop more shots by being a rock down low. And kudos to the players who shots high and scores. Thing is, Price doesn't also have the greatest glove either.

So Roy adjust to the era, and we also do know that you had to be more acrobatic back in the days, when the best goalies avoid too much movement nowadays. Doesn't mean they won't have to be acrobatic...there's some moments for in that in every game. But for every 30 shots per game they see....we are not thinking there's even 10 that HAVE to be on his head.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Young Gun

Like I said many times before, price is no Dryden or a Patty Roy, he will not be our saviour , he's good enough to maybe win a cup, but only with a damn good team in front of him. His mental lapse's only is enough to blow games, important games at that, we
will all see soon !!
Makov is another that may disappear in the playoff, check his playoff stats

Old
04-20-2013, 01:38 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Like I said many times before, price is no Dryden or a Patty Roy, he will not be our saviour , he's good enough to maybe win a cup, but only with a damn good team in front of him. His mental lapse's only is enough to blow games, important games at that, we
will all see soon !!
Both Roy and Dryden blew games because of mental lapses. Just like every other goalie in the history of the game. So bad argument.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:44 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

It's just one of those things. Price will always have his doubters until he has a strong Stanley Cup playoff performance.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
will all see soon !!
Name me the teams that won the cup that weren't damn good?

Every goalie has mental lapses that blow games.

Stats aren't the only thing to look at. When all you do is look at stats, it's actually the perfect way to poorly assess a player in the POs.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
It's just one of those things. Price will always have his doubters until he has a strong Stanley Cup playoff performance.
He'll still have people on his case if he has a good run.

Roy was criticized and ridiculed by his own fans despite being part of the best in the NHL (not to say all time).

Old
04-20-2013, 01:58 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
I think if we witness the habs winning the cup with Price as the goalie, people will have no choice but to shut up.

Actually I wonder how it would be in here if the habs do win it all. What to talk about beside just being ****ing happy? lol

Old
04-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Wheeljack

The funny thing is, I was talking with some people at work about Carey Price and the his low self-esteem and not being able to play at his full potential. And this guy turned around and said, even though I like Carey Price, but for the sake of his career and for him, Montreal should consider trading him. And what other team he proposed? the Edmonton Oilers, since they have full of youth we could go get some, since their biggest need is in nets, and then we call LA and we try to acquire Jonathan Bernier. I am like really? Jonathan Bernier? what has he proved since being in the NHL?

Old
04-20-2013, 05:00 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Don't necessarily agrees. Even in his great moments, I think that at best he doesn't move as much. But his puck tracking was often mentioned years ago. His stick on the ice in butterfly position was probably mentioned in Juniors. Something you are better at when you're confidence is that you confront the opponent. Your in front of your red paint and cut the angles. When you lack confidence, you're too deep. So THAT, I would agree that it's solely about confidence. He wouldn't have the record he has if he was always too deep. But him on his knees too often, was often noticed even in good moments. Just that he's big so even on his knees he covers a whole lot. Yet, when you add a bad D, well the opponents have more time to pick the corners and he's more beatable.
I find price's anticipation is really great, and sometimes it causes him to overcommit. I've seen him come cross crease to the point where he was there in complete time, but got there too fast and ended up out of his net.

He played a great game in Tampa, I don't think it's fair to **** on him for his bad performances and then call his good ones lucky. He made some key saves and kept theh abs in it, that is all that matters. Hopefully whatever mental struggles he was having are behind him going into the post season. We need him to be successful.

Edit: He does seem to be a bit fragile mentally, but no one really knows the ins and outs of that, It's purely speculation, although I tend to feel the same way about him.

Last edited by habsfanatics: 04-20-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
1+1= 2 ?

If you shop for a pair of shoes and the representative tells you its the best shoes for your feets. will you just believe him and buy them? Wouldn't you want to try them and see if they really are good for your feets firt?

Old
04-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Might as well bring this thread to the top.

2 - 0 Caps

2 missed saves.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Alexei Yashvalev

Price is in a bad mental state, you can see it in his body language.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Chris G

****** Turnover by PK on the first goal, and Deflection on the second. Not and excuse for Carey, just ****** overall play by the Habs.

PS- Why the **** is Travis Moen playing?

Old
04-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
Price is in a bad mental state, you can see it in his body language.
He is playing too deep and thinking too much. It's like he was guessing pass and Ovechkin beat him with a weak wrister 5 hole.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He is playing too deep and thinking too much. It's like he was guessing pass and Ovechkin beat him with a weak wrister 5 hole.
Prime example of Price losing confidence in the team while the team is losing confidence in him.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I'm a big fan of Price but 4 goals on 11 shots is downright pathetic. Wake the F$%$%^ up Carey!!!

Old
04-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Carey Cost*

Come on now Price Lovers where are you hiding?

Like I said you really have to be a troll to keep defending Price at this point. If your not a troll your in total denial. He can still prove hes worth in the playoffs but who really believes in him now? Teamates seem to have lost faith in him too

Old
04-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Come on now Price Lovers where are you hiding?

Like I said you really have to be a troll to keep defending Price at this point. If your not a troll your in total denial. He can still prove hes worth in the playoffs but who really believes in him now? Teamates seem to have lost faith in him too
All this Carey lovers vs Carey haters is silly

In fact, Montreal always had a love-hate relationship with goalies, it's always the same ****.

I always defended our #1 goalie no matter what his name is, and I'll keep defending Price until the last game he plays with us.

Just to understand well though, what are the 'Price haters' trying to do? Do you want him traded?

Old
04-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
will all see soon !!
Seriously man, you've got to stop posting this crap. Expecting him to be Roy or Dryden is ridiculous. Are you going to be be upset if Galchenyuk doesn't become Gretzky? And seriously man... how the **** is a goalie supposed to win without a good team in front of him? Roy had Chelios, Robinson, Gainey and Carbonneau in front of him...

Old
04-20-2013, 07:49 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
i dont want him in the olympics if the nhl plays. he would have better defense in front of him but the goals he allows arent all because of weak defense. he would be facing teams a lot better than the leafs in the olympics so there wil still be some defensive breakdowns there too.

Closed Thread