HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 10:20 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
When Sid gets back, Iginla will have an impact like Morrow has began to have. I'm certain of it...especially on the powerplay.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:38 PM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
When Sid gets back, Iginla will have an impact like Morrow has began to have. I'm certain of it...especially on the powerplay.
The tegets a lot better on paper when the big three get bask! I`m noy actually so sure it will have a better impact on the team. The hew guys are playing lights out now for the team.

Old
04-20-2013, 04:38 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Just tried my hand at this and...yeah, tough to try and retain some solid complementary guys here...

FORWARDS
Pascal Dupuis ($3.000m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Brenden Morrow ($2.750m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
Cheap Plug ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Douglas Murray ($1.500m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.578m)

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,588,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $711,667

Re-sign Dupes, Morrow, Iggy, and Murray; let Cooke and TK walk; and trade Orpik, Jokinen, and Glass for futures/cheap contributors.
Morrow has to walk this offseason. It will be the Billy G scenario all over again.

People will begin to hate Morrow if he plays a full season I highly suspect. Give some of that $2.75m to Cooke or just retain JJ.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Morrow has to walk this offseason. It will be the Billy G scenario all over again.

People will begin to hate Morrow if he plays a full season I highly suspect. Give some of that $2.75m to Cooke or just retain JJ.
He might be the odd man out...I don't know though, I'm not that quick to write him off. He's added a lot of attitude and a willingness to get in goalie's grills to score dirty goals.

I realize he's had his share of injury issues, but I'm not sure he's as close to the end of the line as Guerin was. Billy was going on 39 when we re-signed him, Morrow just turned 34.

We'll see how the playoffs progress anyway. They'll make for a nice audition for all these guys.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Zbynek

As amazing as Morrow as looked over the past few weeks, he is not nearly as important as resigning Dupes and Iginla. Here's to hoping for both of those guys to taking less to stay in Pittsburgh.

Also becoming painfully obvious that Orpik will be traded this summer.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

My current FA priority (depending salary):

1. Iginla for Crosby
2. Dupuis
3. Morrow
4. Murray
5. Bortuzzo (cheap)
6. Eaton (cheap)
7. Cooke

EDIT: Totally forgot that JJ has one more year, awesome!

Last edited by Muscles4Malkin: 04-20-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Zbynek

Jussi Jokinen is currently signed through the end of 2013-2014 season and the Penguins will be paying 2.1$ million of his salary next year. Unless he is traded he will be a part of this cap mess.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

good news! Jokinen is signed for next year at 2.1M.

And depending on cost, I'd pay a little extra to keep both Cooke and Murray instead of Morrow.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:13 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I'm not sure I'd re-sign Iginla yet until I see him play with Crosby. He doesn't look very good out there just yet. He's getting his points, but it just seems like he's coasting, and not playing with much intensity.

I'm not sure if that's because he's just not found his feet yet, or not had chemistry with his linemates, or if he's saving it up for the playoffs. I'm definitely not writing him off, but he needs to show me more before I want him brought back next year too.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Morrow has to come at the right price to be worth keeping around. I agree he's more ideal as a rental than a guy you keep around for years to come. I think he's the kind of guy that has to be willing to take a one year deal and a BIG pay cut to stick around. Not sure he'll be willing to do that since he's played pretty well and can probably get some decent term and money from a more desperate team.

There's not much reason to part with Jussi if he keeps his play up.

I think Dupuis will be their top UFA priority.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
He might be the odd man out...I don't know though, I'm not that quick to write him off. He's added a lot of attitude and a willingness to get in goalie's grills to score dirty goals.

I realize he's had his share of injury issues, but I'm not sure he's as close to the end of the line as Guerin was. Billy was going on 39 when we re-signed him, Morrow just turned 34.

We'll see how the playoffs progress anyway. They'll make for a nice audition for all these guys.
I just don't think Shero can let how Morrow performs in the playoffs trick him into thinking Morrow can be effective for a full season and the playoffs next year.

We'll see, but he has to be at the bottom of the totem pole I feel.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
I just don't think Shero can let how Morrow performs in the playoffs trick him into thinking Morrow can be effective for a full season and the playoffs next year.

We'll see, but he has to be at the bottom of the totem pole I feel.
It may play out like that. But objectively, each of Morrow, Iggy, and Murray have a lot of hard miles on them and none had been having very effective seasons before coming here. Any of them could conceivably turn into "Guerins" if re-signed.

Shero will have to choose carefully.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:04 PM
JTG

The thing with Morrow is I don't think what he's really good at is going to change next season. He's a **** stirrer and a force in front of the net. He doesn't have a ton of offensive ability to lose. I wouldn't be paying 4 million dollars for him, but in the low 3's or high 2's...I'd consider it.

And it goes as it does every single year here. If guys want to stick around...finances cannot be at the top of their lists.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
It may play out like that. But objectively, each of Morrow, Iggy, and Murray have a lot of hard miles on them and none had been having very effective seasons before coming here. Any of them could conceivably turn into "Guerins" if re-signed.

Shero will have to choose carefully.
I prefer Iggy by a wide margin of the three, but I'm not Shero.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
I prefer Iggy by a wide margin of the three, but I'm not Shero.
Given the choice, I'm going with Iggy too. Price may play a big part though.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:13 PM
rban*

The way Dupuis is playing he'll want ,more than he's getting, but his age is a factor in bargaining him down.

Kunitz after his deal is up will be 35 which means he'll ptobably see his production go down, so no raise for him. Maybe let him go or sign for 3 mil-2 or 3 yrs.

Malkin and Letang will be the biggest ones to target. And given how low Tanger's salary is, he'll see an eye popping jump, no doubt.

Getting rid of one or more of Iggy/Morrow may be necessary just to keep Letang.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Dupuis is odd. I thought he'd leave for more money last time in UFA too but he stuck around for a pretty minimal raise.

I'd definitely keep Iggy over Morrow and Murray. Iggy is older but he's in the best shape of the three and hasn't had the injuries Morrow's had.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Given the choice, I'm going with Iggy too. Price may play a big part though.
I'm holding out hope Iggy is really open to working with Shero, but none of us know. He could get 5-6 m on the open market easily. However, Shero may only be able to offer 4m.

If he was willing to take that in exchange for term, it would really be a huge help. We can say anything below 5m isn't feasible, but none of us know what Iggy is thinking. He knows the cap is tight and I don't think he will see an offer like that as an insult. If he would take it or not, who knows.

I'm pretty sure Iggy will be able to grind out a living in Calgary as the icon he is when he retires with a FO position, endorsement marketing, etc.

It's a two way argument with Iggy, Morrow and Murray. This could be their last contract and they want to cash in, or on the flip side maybe they will accept a nice pay cut to finish up their career in a winning atmosphere.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:37 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
The thing with Morrow is I don't think what he's really good at is going to change next season. He's a **** stirrer and a force in front of the net. He doesn't have a ton of offensive ability to lose. I wouldn't be paying 4 million dollars for him, but in the low 3's or high 2's...I'd consider it.

And it goes as it does every single year here. If guys want to stick around...finances cannot be at the top of their lists.
I don't think it'd cost that much to retain him. I'd offer him one year deals at 2 mil. As long as he can remain an effective pest and net front guy, that's all we need from him. I distinctly remember him saying Sid wants multiple cups. I think he'll stick around for as long as he can.

There's gonna be a big turnover at forward. I think Dupuis will take a longer term deal somewhere else. TK will be moved. Glass too if we're forced to move salary. I think the organization will choose to move on from Cooke. Too much of a headache with his history. Morrow is a consistent mean son of a *****. Cooke, not so much.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
I'm holding out hope Iggy is really open to working with Shero, but none of us know. He could get 5-6 m on the open market easily. However, Shero may only be able to offer 4m.

If he was willing to take that in exchange for term, it would really be a huge help. We can say anything below 5m isn't feasible, but none of us know what Iggy is thinking. He knows the cap is tight and I don't think he will see an offer like that as an insult. If he would take it or not, who knows.

I'm pretty sure Iggy will be able to grind out a living in Calgary as the icon he is when he retires with a FO position, endorsement marketing, etc.

It's a two way argument with Iggy, Morrow and Murray. This could be their last contract and they want to cash in, or on the flip side maybe they will accept a nice pay cut to finish up their career in a winning atmosphere.
You know, I started out thinking there was no way Iggy would take less than Doan's 5.3, but I've softened since.

I'm probably looking too much into this, but all of his interviews have been absolutely glowing about Pittsburgh, from the facilities to management to the locker room:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2PnduHXzr

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2R3EPwBIh

And he obviously picked the Pens over every other playoff suitor in the league to begin with, which bodes well. I think he may really be looking to stay here long-term and could take a pretty significant haircut to do so.

No idea where the other guys stand though. They haven't said a whole lot.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:33 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
You know, I started out thinking there was no way Iggy would take less than Doan's 5.3, but I've softened since.

I'm probably looking too much into this, but all of his interviews have been absolutely glowing about Pittsburgh, from the facilities to management to the locker room:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2PnduHXzr

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz2R3EPwBIh

And he obviously picked the Pens over every other playoff suitor in the league to begin with, which bodes well. I think he may really be looking to stay here long-term and could take a pretty significant haircut to do so.

No idea where the other guys stand though. They haven't said a whole lot.
Keep in mind with Doan the Coyotes needed to sign him to help get to the cap floor. If I remember correctly they were 9m under the floor before signing Doan. So it was a situation where they had to give someone a nice payday, so why not Doan?

Iggy knows the Pens and others will be tight to the Cap. Most contenders will be hard up agt the cap, including the Bruins and Hawks. Only LA won't have a big cap squeeze next season. So he may only get his big offers with non-contenders.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:48 PM
chethejet

Pens can only afford Iginla and must trade Martin. I wonder what Martin will bring from Edmonton or the Wild in a draft pick. If Martin is traded, then Sign Murray for 2 year 2.5 million per. Dupuis at 3 million is the cost to keep him. He may get a bigger offer but that is out of the Pens control. Kunitz, Orpik, and Glass trade Jokinen frees up 10 million for Letang and Malkin which is about 5M in 2014. Next year trading Martin for a pick 2013 gives the Pens 13 million in wiggle room for next year Dupuis 3M, Murray 2.5M and Iginla at 5M that totals 10.5M. Morrow is gone as the Pens need to play Bennett and develop another young winger. So signing those three in 2013/14 has the Pens at approx 2.5 million under. In 2014/15 Pens have 6M to work with assuming cap is at 64M. Martin has to go for a draft pick to make this happen.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Keep in mind with Doan the Coyotes needed to sign him to help get to the cap floor. If I remember correctly they were 9m under the floor before signing Doan. So it was a situation where they had to give someone a nice payday, so why not Doan?

Iggy knows the Pens and others will be tight to the Cap. Most contenders will be hard up agt the cap, including the Bruins and Hawks. Only LA won't have a big cap squeeze next season. So he may only get his big offers with non-contenders.
Yeah, I hadn't thought much about the cap constraints for other contenders. I don't imagine Iginla would want to go back to the WC and face Calgary on a regular basis, either.

Ack, I don't want to put too much stock in this. Gets my hopes up, haha.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethejet View Post
Pens can only afford Iginla and must trade Martin. I wonder what Martin will bring from Edmonton or the Wild in a draft pick. If Martin is traded, then Sign Murray for 2 year 2.5 million per. Dupuis at 3 million is the cost to keep him. He may get a bigger offer but that is out of the Pens control. Kunitz, Orpik, and trade Jokinen frees up 9 million for Letang and Malkin which is about 5M in 2014. Next year trading Martin for a pick 2013 gives the Pens 13 million in wiggle room for next year Dupuis 3M, Murray 2.5M and Iginla at 5M that totals 10.5M. Morrow is gone as the Pens need to play Bennett and develop another young winger. So signing those three in 2013/14 has the Pens at approx 2.5 million under. In 2014/15 Pens have 6M to work with assuming cap is at 64M.
Why "must" they trade Martin when Orpik makes nearly as much money and is about 1/100th as effective?

Old
04-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why "must" they trade Martin when Orpik makes nearly as much money and is about 1/100th as effective?
it's hard to take people seriously when they talk in absolutes about this upcoming off-season. unless its something along the lines of TK must walk.

Closed Thread