Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ethnic Russian players playing for the others

Old
04-19-2013, 09:53 PM
cska78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Ethnic Russian players playing for the others

the amount is staggering without trying too hard: Barkov, Yashkin, Malgin, Starkov, Trukhno, Levandovskiy, Bykov, Krutov, Galchenyuk, Patzold (sp) and counting....The 90's really cost us the talent pool as well.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:58 PM
cska78

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18623

what's the scoop on this guy?

Old
04-19-2013, 11:48 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
the amount is staggering without trying too hard: Barkov, Yashkin, Malgin, Starkov, Trukhno, Levandovskiy, Bykov, Krutov, Galchenyuk, Patzold (sp) and counting....The 90's really cost us the talent pool as well.
If you want ethnic Russians, you don't have to look too far. Many of the Eastern European (former Soviet) countries have large ethnic Russian populations that are into hockey. Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Belarus and Estonia all have a large amount of players of Russian descent on their team. Not to mention guys like Alex Galchenyuk, Leo Komarov and Dmitrij Jaskin who all represent countries outside of Eastern Europe.

A similar thing happens with Canadians who can't make team Canada. Look at the Italian team.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:39 AM
boris4c

Sure, but Canada isn't affected by this phenomenon with a couple exceptions like Brett Hull. I think the same can be said for a wide variety of countries, looking at Thomas Vanek and the Czech Republic for instance. When it comes to Russia though, the effects are far more severe given that quite a few of those players are actually talented enough to represent Russia which isn't the case for Canadian Italians.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:58 AM
Garl

Quote:
I am not sure about Krutov. i think he and Zhukov never played for Switzerland/Sweden. Trukhno played for Russia, he just grew up in Denmark.
Patzold aswell as Dzhunusov and Kotchnev are from Kazakhstan, Patzold is an ethnic "russian german" and Dzhunussow is probably either tatar or kazakh.

Though you can probably add Komarov and Tymashov(Ukranian) and Matushkin to the list.
Oh, and Mark and Sebastian Owuya of course.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:04 AM
slovakiasnextone

Well, considering that national teams in hockey are mainly based on nationality (as it should be IMO), it's hardly surprising. Every country even the smaller ones hae a few players ike this (for example Slovakia with the Šťastný brothers or Vanek, who's actually Slovak o his mother's side). As has been said ofc it's stronger with Russia due to the strong presence of Russian minorities in several former USSR countries.

Also Galchenyuk? Does one turn into being ethnically Russian by obtaining Russian citizenship? Because I was always under the impression that Galchenyuk was ethnically Belarussian? Unless his mother is Russian as I'm 100% positive abut his father being Belarussian.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:47 AM
jfb392

You can likely add this kid to the list at some point.
Born in Alaska for some reason but raised in Russia and has been invited to the US NTDP.
Hasn't accepted yet, but was declared ineligible for the OHL draft because he did not meet residency requirements, meaning he'd either have to tender/get drafted in the USHL or play another year at the U18 level that he already dominated.

Of course, his agent is Larionov.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:02 PM
cska78

you guys have misunderstood what I was trying to say. What I meant is that because of woeful 90's our players had to play abroad, their kids were born there got the citizenship of corresponding countries and ended up playing for them. I didn't mean the ethnic Russians born in former USSR republics for this thread

Old
04-20-2013, 12:40 PM
wings5

Jaskin?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:27 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Oh, and Mark and Sebastian Owuya of course.
I had no idea! Uganda-russian is a cool combo!

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:33 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Jaskin?
yes, why?

Old
04-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Peter25

Quote:
The 90's really cost us the talent pool as well.
Such a rotten decade in all possible ways!

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Peter25

Leonid Komarov is also an ethnic Russian. He was born in Estonia to Russian parents and moved to Finland as a kid.

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:23 PM
duga

Bykov was at least once in a camp of a russian junior nationalteam, and IIRC he played some preparationgames too... but was considered not good enough and this in a very weak russian generation (88'89born)... he acctually would have prefered to play for the sbornaja...

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:30 PM
wings5

Quote:
yes, why?
No reason just adding a name, funny how Barkov and Jaskin, both sons of Russian nationals have evolved into top prospects in different countries. Wonder what type of players they'd be if they developed in Russia with those same genetics.

Old
04-20-2013, 03:43 PM
cska78

Sheviryn in Germany as well

Old
04-20-2013, 03:44 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
No reason just adding a name, funny how Barkov and Jaskin, both sons of Russian nationals have evolved into top prospects in different countries. Wonder what type of players they'd be if they developed in Russia with those same genetics.
I had him in my original post, just spelled his LN a Russian way

Old
04-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
Well, considering that national teams in hockey are mainly based on nationality (as it should be IMO), it's hardly surprising. Every country even the smaller ones hae a few players ike this (for example Slovakia with the Šťastný brothers or Vanek, who's actually Slovak o his mother's side). As has been said ofc it's stronger with Russia due to the strong presence of Russian minorities in several former USSR countries.

Also Galchenyuk? Does one turn into being ethnically Russian by obtaining Russian citizenship? Because I was always under the impression that Galchenyuk was ethnically Belarussian? Unless his mother is Russian as I'm 100% positive abut his father being Belarussian.
Actually, Belarusian is a nationality, but not an ethnicity. Belarusians and Russians are essentially the same ethnicity, along with Ukrainians. Any genetic differences among the Eastern Slavic branch of humanity are too small to classify.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
you guys have misunderstood what I was trying to say. What I meant is that because of woeful 90's our players had to play abroad, their kids were born there got the citizenship of corresponding countries and ended up playing for them. I didn't mean the ethnic Russians born in former USSR republics for this thread
It was sad that the 90's almost cost Russia a generation of hockey players. Luckily for them, while others may have wanted to emigrate as well, the hockey players had a marketable skill that could command a great paycheck! Even the powerful CSKA had a hard time meeting payroll commitments in the '90's.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:23 PM
cska78

yeah, kids born in the 80's really didn't produce depth in talent...now look at 93/95/96....95 can field 2 equally competitive teams.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Dynamo81

Meh, only a big deal if the players are a product of the Russian system and chose to represent another country.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
yeah, kids born in the 80's really didn't produce depth in talent...now look at 93/95/96....95 can field 2 equally competitive teams.
Correct, funnily enough the likes of Ovechkin and Malkin were grew up during the dark 90's. Cream always rises to the top.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:53 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Actually, Belarusian is a nationality, but not an ethnicity. Belarusians and Russians are essentially the same ethnicity, along with Ukrainians. Any genetic differences among the Eastern Slavic branch of humanity are too small to classify.
I wouldn't quite say that, Serbians and many Montenegrins have genetic differences from many Slavs.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:58 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
Correct, funnily enough the likes of Ovechkin and Malkin were grew up during the dark 90's. Cream always rises to the top.
Generations up to '87 born were still reaping the rewards of the soviet sport systems. In the early 90's, although bad, most sports were still relatively cheap if not free and were still coached by world class people. I was one of those kids So when Malkin and Ovi joined their hockey schools most of the traditions were still strong and the sport was relatively accessible. Also the culture of professional sports schools was still strong.

It's the later 90's, like 95 and forth when the sports system hit rock bottom around 98 and 99. So Malkin still had very good base to start with when he was a kid. But the generation of late 80's early 90's kids was just coming of age when they started (or most DIDN'T) start playing sports. That is when things like hockey equipment and schools got ridiculously expensive and people were poorer than ever. The coaching significantly dropped and corruption was at an all time high. Hence between 2006-2010 things were at the lowest in terms of youth results- the 'Perestroika' or crisis kids.

OR as we know them now, the kids who were born when the soviet players left the Russian leagues to go play abroad, and now we have the Galchenyuks and Barkovs and so on.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Fulcrum

I'm also glad to hear more and more Russian prospects who grew up at home idolizing Morozov, Zinoviev and so on. Like Nichushkin.

5-7 years ago it would be unthinkable and if you were to ask any Russian kid he would scream Fedorov and Detroit Red wings.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote