HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oscar Klefbom Thread | 10GP: 0G-3A-3PTS +7

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
The worse part to me is how the AHL is thought of by players once they've been in the NHL. They don't want to go there. I just don't know what it does to the kid if after 20 games we decide he isn't good enough for the AHL. Would rather seem him see the benefits of the AHL early like Schultz did.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:17 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Although I am in the camp thaty believes Klefbom should play at least half a season in the AHL next year, I don't think he is getting enough credit from some people for how dominant he was in the SEL earlier this season. A lot of people were saying he was the best defenceman in the entire league. The SEL is a very good pro-league, full of seasoned men in their late 20s and early 30s. There is a legit argument for the SEL being the 3rd best league in the world. Additionally, Klefbom has the physical skills (size and speed) to make his transfer to the NA game go fairly smoothly.

All that being said, I still think he should spend at least half the season in the AHL next year.
I think we can all agree that it's probably best for Klefbom if he plays at least half a season in the AHL.

That being said, I think he very well could make the Oilers next season. He's already better than Potter, Peckham, Fistric, and maybe even N Schultz. I've haven't seen any of them to what Klefbom does in these two clips from his 1st game of the season. He's number 7. He uses his size well, which is a quality we lack.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:29 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Different situation. In the AHL I believe Schutlz was playing 29 minutes a game. That was a huge mistake on the Oilers part, because he's played double the games this year he did in college.

If you remember, J Schultz was great when he started the year here. Fatigue from the year has worn him out, hence why he's not as sharp.

That said, I hope to god the Oil start in in the AHL.
Hey, come on now. I know we're bad but relegation seems a bit extreme.

Old
04-18-2013, 04:40 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
If the Oil started in the AHL he'd probably still be disappointed.

Old
04-18-2013, 05:46 PM
SterlingArcher

We should bring in a couple of real nhl defencemen and if he earns the job then he earns it. Do not hand him the job but no matter of age if he can play and preform let him play.

Old
04-18-2013, 06:14 PM
NeutralZone

It's hard to imagine playing Klefbom in the NHL next year will be the right move. It's going to take time to get used to playing the north american game, and to shake off the rust after not playing for so long. A rookie dman is not going to make the difference in terms of making the playoffs, and keeping him an extra year on his entry level helps the cap. He's our best defensive prospect, let's not rush his development.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:04 PM
SterlingArcher

If klefbom earns it out of camp give him the job but we should not make it guaranteed or easy for him. We should bring in nhl ready defenceman and let him earn it. I am really high in this kid and believe he will fight his way onto the roster but I don't want to just hand it to him.

Old
04-18-2013, 10:27 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
If we by some miracle acquire a true #1 D-man in the off-season that can tutor Klefbom than I'd be ok with him starting in Edm. (Thinking Suter-Brodin). Start him off in that #6 slot, work him slowly up the minutes chart.

No, I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen. But were due to get lucky sooner or later, aren't we?

Old
04-20-2013, 11:28 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I'm only ok having Klefbom playing in the NHL if he's playing sheltered minutes. Let's not throw him to the wolves and see him get torn to pieces.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:35 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Hey, come on now. I know we're bad but relegation seems a bit extreme.
LOL

Old
04-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

lol Oilers.

Stauffer is claiming that Klefbom is a virtual lock to be on the Oilers' blueline next year. David Staples criticized the idea on Twitter and Paajarvi's dad Gunnar Svensson also criticized the move saying that Oscar isn't ready yet.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
lol Oilers.

Stauffer is claiming that Klefbom is a virtual lock to be on the Oilers' blueline next year. David Staples criticized the idea on Twitter and Paajarvi's dad Gunnar Svensson also criticized the move saying that Oscar isn't ready yet.
I have always thought that they would start him next season in the NHL. It was said (I believe also by Stauffer) that they asked him to come over for this season, but he wanted to honor his contract in Sweden first.

Nothing wrong with giving him a shot if he earns a spot in camp, but i wouldn't count on him being in the top 4 this season. They can send him down to OKC if he struggles, so there is really no risk here.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
lol Oilers.

Not sure what to take of that, unless he is Klefbom's agent I don't think that he should be spouting off about it TBH.

04-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Not sure what to take of that, unless he is Klefbom's agent I don't think that he should be spouting off about it TBH.
He wants to see his son succeed.

He's perfectly allowed to sprout off on something that may see his son thrown under the bus and into the grinder by an organization that is more concerned with hype than development.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The worse part to me is how the AHL is thought of by players once they've been in the NHL. They don't want to go there. I just don't know what it does to the kid if after 20 games we decide he isn't good enough for the AHL. Would rather seem him see the benefits of the AHL early like Schultz did.
I think each player is different and good communication from the coaches could make the road between AHL and NHL easier. A guy like Paajarvi is a perfect example who someone who used the AHL as a tool.

I hope the team isn't pencilling him in already. Go get a Streit and try to add another top 4 guy through trade and if Klefbom impresses in camp, then make a deal from a position of strength.

Old
SterlingArcher

I think klefbom could step in right away and have a nice impact on the team given bottom pairing minutes and if he shows he deserves more give it to him. I don't feel they should hand him the role however as long as he earns his spot he can play.

Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
He wants to see his son succeed.

He's perfectly allowed to sprout off on something that may see his son thrown under the bus and into the grinder by an organization that is more concerned with hype than development.
Damn, Gunnar Svensson is Magnus' dad and Klefbom's dad!?!

Old
04-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Damn, Gunnar Svensson is Magnus' dad and Klefbom's dad!?!
Yes, don't tell Klefbom, don't want to give him a negative opinion of his mother

Bah, skim read that a bit too much.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Yes, don't tell Klefbom, don't want to give him a negative opinion of his mother

Bah, skim read that a bit too much.
But now he's got a new brother that he didn't even know about!

Old
04-20-2013, 10:59 PM
SterlingArcher

Oh man sounds like their is some Swedish beef going down.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:59 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
There's some bad lutefisk going around.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
I'm sure Paajarvi's dad watchs a lot of Swedish Elite League hockey I would take his word above most of our scouts, we are very guilty of rushing prospects as an organization. Paajarvi and Lander were both rushed into the NHL sooner than they should have been, they seem to be gaining traction despite that, but a better organized and longer term approach to developing them would have been nice to see.

I don't want to gift wrap Klefbom a spot, he should earn it and some AHL time isn't going to hurt him anyway. If he played the full year in the SEL and looked as dominant as the swedish posters made him sound then sure, but coming off an injury you don't want a rookie shaking off the rust playing NHL games. Let him play 20-30 games in the AHL if he looks ready than make the call.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:02 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

the myth of Klefbom continues to grow

he's quickly becoming overrated round these parts

Old
04-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Ragss

This season people who have watched him play were saying he was often the best D man on the team, which included Brodin--who is now doing quite well in the NHL. There is a reason for the hype.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:11 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the myth of Klefbom continues to grow

he's quickly becoming overrated round these parts
Because Paajarvi's dad said he shouldn't be handed a spot on the team?