HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most embarrassing NHL moments

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2006, 03:00 AM
  #51
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,978
vCash: 500
How about Wayne Gretzky taking a dive against Billy Smith?

ScaredStreit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:24 AM
  #52
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14,866
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Or the time he took a dive, wouldn't get up, the Nordiques get the puck, Sakic scores, but the ref blew the whistle microseconds before the goal, dissallowing it because of Kovalev. Then Kovalev gets up and skates off like nothing ever happened. I've never forgiven Kovalev or Van Hellmond for that one.
I remember that well ... one of the most completely blown calls of the last 20 years.

On the subject of Van Hellemond, even more embarassing was the way his career with the NHL ended - gambling debts, borrowing money from referees, and giving preferential treatment to those who loaned him money. Should have been a much bigger scandal than it was, as the NHL did a nice job of keeping the story pretty small and having it go away very quickly. Throws the credibility of his entire career into question, and you have to wonder if blown calls like the Kovalev/Sakic one were more sinister than it appeared at the time. Probably not, but ...

__________

On the more humorous side:

- Barry Tabobondung getting stuck in his chair at the 1982 (?) NHL draft and having to be cut out deserves a mention.

- Doug Wickenheiser getting seriously injured falling out of a truck and getting run over while on a 'snipe hunt' with some Blues teammates in the mid-1980s.

- Kevin Weekes' bizarre and made-up story about a mugging to account for his being late for practice, which resulted his being traded by the Canucks soon after.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 03:42 AM
  #53
DrVanntastic
Registered User
 
DrVanntastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wentzville, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,901
vCash: 630
C'mon.... the most embarrassing NHL moment...

2004-2005 Lockout that canceled the season.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 06:09 AM
  #54
#66
Registered User
 
#66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damannnnaa View Post
How about Wayne Gretzky taking a dive against Billy Smith?
Do you remember Smiths Conn Smythe speech?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 10:33 AM
  #55
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Praha, CZ
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,639
vCash: 500
I always thought Adam Graves' cheapshot on Lemieux in the '92 playoffs was a low point, albeit not as low as some of the lows mentioned on this thread.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:12 PM
  #56
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
While the Bertuzzi/McSorley/Hunter incidents are embarrassing, I think they are overblown by scoop-hungry media (esp. in the US). They really should not speak for the sport itself. The NBA as a league and basketball as a sport was not given the third degree after the Pacers/Pistons debacle. I'm more embarrassed by the times the sport is dumbed down. For example, the FoxTrack and any broadcasting that insults the inteligence of the viewer.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:45 PM
  #57
Cap'n Flavour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Pretty much everything Bobby Clarke has said as Flyers GM/President is an embarassment.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 01:46 PM
  #58
MartinFr
Registered User
 
MartinFr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kalmar
Country: Sweden
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MartinFr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcllOfwAN54

MartinFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2006, 11:30 PM
  #59
Ducksforcup
Registered User
 
Ducksforcup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Anaheim, California
Country: United States
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 50
[IMAGE]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1885/brodeurbowuw3.jpg[/IMAGE]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iXEzD1heawU (Video of Incident).

Defitnetley Martin Brodeur's most embarrassing moment. In the 03 Stanley Cup Final, Mighty Duck defensemen Sandis Ozolinsh wrists a shot in from center ice. It wasn't even really a shot, more like a dump in. Martin Brodeur goes to play it, then accidently drops his stick and the puck goes in off his stick. Hilarious as heck! Really flukey.


Last edited by Ducksforcup: 08-07-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 12:50 AM
  #60
Heat McManus
Registered User
 
Heat McManus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksforcup View Post
[IMAGE]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/1885/brodeurbowuw3.jpg[/IMAGE]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iXEzD1heawU (Video of Incident).

Defitnetley Martin Brodeur's most embarrassing moment. In the 03 Stanley Cup Final, Mighty Duck defensemen Sandis Ozolinsh wrists a shot in from center ice. It wasn't even really a shot, more like a dump in. Martin Brodeur goes to play it, then accidently drops his stick and the puck goes in off his stick. Hilarious as heck! Really flukey.

Brodeur can't read your thread because the 2003 Stanley Cup Championship Banner is blocking his view. You know that banner, the red and black one that has the Devils logo on it?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2006, 01:01 AM
  #61
Ducksforcup
Registered User
 
Ducksforcup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Anaheim, California
Country: United States
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Brodeur can't read your thread because the 2003 Stanley Cup Championship Banner is blocking his view. You know that banner, the red and black one that has the Devils logo on it?
He he, well I had to take something out of that SCF heh.

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
  #62
Mont Royale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one - maybe because it's not the NHL... but how about Phil Esposito tripping in the pre-game ceremony during the '72 Summit Series, and falling on his butt in front of all the Russian fans.

Mont Royale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 12:27 PM
  #63
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,259
vCash: 500
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../1381_item.jpg

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:21 PM
  #64
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post
And in the funniest moment department....the Flames fan who tried to streak across the ice naked but when he jumped on the ice, he slipped, hit his head on the ice and knocked himself out cold. There he is, lying on the ice naked in front on 18,000 fans. Priceless.

If he was face down I can't imagine the shrinkage

Speaking of that portion of the human body, how about Probert's stash.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:31 PM
  #65
Transplanted Caper
Registered User
 
Transplanted Caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Internet Underbelly
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,692
vCash: 500
Robert Reichel taking a slapper on a penalty shot in the playoffs against Philly. I just sat there staring at my TV wondering if what I saw actually happened

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:10 PM
  #66
Ducks__Halos
Registered User
 
Ducks__Halos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
- Barry Tabobondung getting stuck in his chair at the 1982 (?) NHL draft and having to be cut out deserves a mention.
How did that happen?

Ducks__Halos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:10 PM
  #67
Ducks__Halos
Registered User
 
Ducks__Halos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
C'mon.... the most embarrassing NHL moment...

2004-2005 Lockout that canceled the season.
And also the saddest.

Ducks__Halos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:23 PM
  #68
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,514
vCash: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks_è_Halos View Post
How did that happen?
This is an excerpt; he has since passed away in heroic style:

http://hockeydraftcentral.com/1981/81047.html

Embarrassed on Draft Day: Tabobondung attended the 1981 NHL Entry Draft in Montreal, marking only the second year that junior players had attended the draft in large numbers beyond those likely to be taken in the first round. Tabobondung was so excited to be chosen in the third round that he jumped over the front row of seats at the Montreal Forum in order to greet Flyers officials at their draft table. Unfortunately, in one of the draft's most embarrassing moments ever, Tabobondung's foot got stuck in a folding seat, and arena attendants, along with Flyers special-assignments coach Joe Watson, needed at least five minutes in order to get Tabobondung out of the seat. One of the arena attendants had to unscrew a portion of the folding seat to free the player. As Tabobondung was being extracted from the seat, NHL executive vice-president Brian O'Neill, who was running the draft from the main podium, joked the Flyers could at least be sure that Tabobondung would be available for all of their games in Montreal. Flyers coach Pat Quinn responded to O'Neill's joke by saying "We gotta play the kid. Obviously, we can't afford to have him sit." Asked about the incident, Tabobondung jokingly told Jay Greenburg of The Hockey News that he wasn't even embarrassed and was glad he was able to "do something to get the attention off the first-rounders."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 01:57 AM
  #69
Ducks__Halos
Registered User
 
Ducks__Halos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,824
vCash: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
This is an excerpt; he has since passed away in heroic style:

http://hockeydraftcentral.com/1981/81047.html

Embarrassed on Draft Day: Tabobondung attended the 1981 NHL Entry Draft in Montreal, marking only the second year that junior players had attended the draft in large numbers beyond those likely to be taken in the first round. Tabobondung was so excited to be chosen in the third round that he jumped over the front row of seats at the Montreal Forum in order to greet Flyers officials at their draft table. Unfortunately, in one of the draft's most embarrassing moments ever, Tabobondung's foot got stuck in a folding seat, and arena attendants, along with Flyers special-assignments coach Joe Watson, needed at least five minutes in order to get Tabobondung out of the seat. One of the arena attendants had to unscrew a portion of the folding seat to free the player. As Tabobondung was being extracted from the seat, NHL executive vice-president Brian O'Neill, who was running the draft from the main podium, joked the Flyers could at least be sure that Tabobondung would be available for all of their games in Montreal. Flyers coach Pat Quinn responded to O'Neill's joke by saying "We gotta play the kid. Obviously, we can't afford to have him sit." Asked about the incident, Tabobondung jokingly told Jay Greenburg of The Hockey News that he wasn't even embarrassed and was glad glad he was able to "do something to get the attention off the first-rounders."
Wow, died saving his son. Seems like he had a lot of character.

Ducks__Halos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 03:06 AM
  #70
Ducksforcup
Registered User
 
Ducksforcup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Anaheim, California
Country: United States
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Robert Reichel taking a slapper on a penalty shot in the playoffs against Philly. I just sat there staring at my TV wondering if what I saw actually happened
Good one.

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:04 AM
  #71
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty's Better View Post
Anybody remember Kovalev faking that wrist injury in the playoffs a while back in OT? Souray (his teamate) runs into him at the blue line....the puck's stolen by the forechecking foward (I forget the team/player) and they score ending the game and i believe the series.... classic "derp" moment
It was against the Bruins in 2004, the player who scored was Glen Murray to make the series 3-1 I think, and guess who won that series anyway... I guess having the ref ignore the slash gave the Habs the boost they needed to beat the Booins. BTW the morning after Kovalev had his wrist taped (it was one of the papers' front page) and the doctor said he had a broken wrist, but Kovy still played the next three games to help the Habs eliminate Boston.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 04:40 PM
  #72
Grizzly
Registered User
 
Grizzly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Staten Island,N.Y
Country: Aruba
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Do you remember Smiths Conn Smythe speech?
Yeah, he said alot of people are rolling in their graves right now.

Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 01:04 AM
  #73
PghPens2002
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh -- 15210
Country: Christmas Island
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PghPens2002
Corson getting the puck caught up his shorts in '00 or '01 was pretty silly stuff.
I miss ya Shayne!!

PghPens2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2006, 01:08 AM
  #74
krudmonk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sannozay
Posts: 5,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bletchley View Post
Ty Conklin's gaff in game one of last years' SCFs.
*Jason Smith's gaff

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 11:26 AM
  #75
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wilmington, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,246
vCash: 500
Just look to us Islanders fans for the embarrassing moments:

Milbury, Milbury, Milbury.

The firing of Neil Smith and hiring of Garth Snow.

Gorton's Fisherman jerseys from the mid-1990's.

As mentioned...John Spano purchasing the Isles...and later turned out to have only $1 million in assets and managed to fool FleetBoston, the NHL, and the Islanders in the process.

Milstein/Gluckstern threatening to move the team out of the Coliseum because the scoreboard was going to fall.

Darius Kasparaitis crashing his (Mercedes Benz?) into the lightpost in the Coliseum parking lot.

Maloney trading our franchise star, Pierre Turgeon, for a disgruntled Kirk Muller who kicked and screamed about playing for a rebuilding team.

Other non-Isles' notables:

Pat Quinn dressing Robert Reichel but forgetting to add him to the lineup sheet during Game 7 of the Isles-Leafs series. Reichel was ejected from the game...din't matter much since Toronto won the game...but funny otherwise.

Theo Fleury's wacky (embarrassing, but funny) antics...doing the chicken dance to Eric Cairns sitting in the penalty box...grabbing Eric Cairns' stick out of his hand, carrying it to the bench, and breaking it on the bench...and didn't he punch out a mascot?

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.