HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Do you realize...

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 04:09 AM
Dr_Gonz0

vCash: 500
Do you realize...

That if it was draft day today, Edmonton would draft 5th overall(tied with points w/ Buffalo, but they have more wins). I know the season is still not 1/2 done, but at this rate we should realize a top 3 pick with the lottery system is slowly becoming a reality, disheartening as that is.

Do we Trade Smyth and Smith to a contender for a Spezza/Ruutu type, plus possibly another 1st rounder? With those type of players on the block, a Lecavalier type should be attainable, add philly's 1st if we need to get a deal done. Eg:

Suter and Legwand for Smyth and Oates and Smith

Depending on the standings come trade deadline of course. NAS picks up 3 key players for a 1st(?) playoff run, plus Oates gets a chance at a cup. EDM picks up a top end offense D prospect, and a true #1 centermen. maybe fringe players/picks/prospects from either side to even it up.

With Salo's Option possibly not being picked up this upcoming season, that is another almost 4 million dollars to work with. pick up a decent tender to tandem with Conklin and we run with our young core and let them grow. Use the extra money from moving Smith-Smyth-Salo to sign your top 5 pick, and get him at camp and hopefully a roster spot if worthy.

Training camp 05:

Left wing:
Isbister
Torres
Moreau
Chimera
Rita

Center:
Legwand
York
Reasoner
Stoll
Horcoff

Right wing:
Hemsky
Dvorak
Pisani
Laraque
Salmelainen

Defense:
Brewer
Staois
Suter
Semenov
Woywitka
Cross
Bergeron
Lynch
Allen

Goal:
Conklin
Biron/Norenen(?)
JDD

Plus getting looks at Niinimaki, Pouliot, Mikhnov, Brodziak, and hopeful high end 1st rounder this year, we could gather some immense young talent to run with post CBA. If Smyth continues to give us a "decent" season and Smith is not signed come trade deadline, i could see those 2 easily shipped for legit young proven talent. But, like i said before, the season is still not 1/2 over.

Last edited by Dr_Gonz0: 12-30-2003 at 04:33 AM.
Old
12-30-2003, 06:41 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
That if it was draft day today, Edmonton would draft 5th overall(tied with points w/ Buffalo, but they have more wins). I know the season is still not 1/2 done, but at this rate we should realize a top 3 pick with the lottery system is slowly becoming a reality, disheartening as that is.
I was thinking the same thing this morning, albeit not as detailed. What it comes down to for me is this-how much does it hurt the Oil to a) really tank the rest of the season in terms of player development, fan base alienation, abuse from Flames fans, etc. b) pull a Carolina and have one poor season but get a franchise player like Staal?

Old
12-30-2003, 10:56 AM
Cerebral

One interesting thing to see that I didn't even realize till reading the paper this morning is this however: the Oilers are only 7 games out of a playoff spot with 2 games in hand! If they win 2 in a row, they're suddenly only 3 points out.. they've played terrible hockey of late (though it seems like they might break out of their funk any time now) but just need a 4ish game winning streak to put them right back in the hunt!

Old
12-30-2003, 11:06 AM
oilersboy

What happen with the 2005 draft order if there is no hockey next year? If it is the same order than this year draft, we could have two top 3 picks

Old
12-30-2003, 11:15 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooiilleerr_bergeron
What happen with the 2005 draft order if there is no hockey next year? If it is the same order than this year draft, we could have two top 3 picks
I doubt that would happen because then the pens (or whoever won the draft) would have two #1 picks.

I was thinking they could combine the two draft years and everyone could just go nuts, basically making the first round two rounds and giving everyone a decent shot at players they should get based on where they finish, but not overly giving poor teams too much to build on

Old
12-30-2003, 11:16 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think they lump all the prospects into one big draft...

You will then see some of the guys opting out, either to get a higher draft position (for more money), or in order to get drafted period.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:17 AM
Digger12

It's quite the catch-22, isn't it? Hope the Oilers play .600 hockey the rest of the year so they can scratch and claw their way into 8th place and their annual first round exit...or endure a loss-filled season and repeated belittling from Flames and Canucks fans, but have the silver lining of a top 5 or even top 3 pick at the end of the year?

As the year goes on, I'm buying more and more into the theory that if first round exits is the best this team can achieve given the current personnel, I say scrap this season and start with a new talent base.

As Matheson said point blank today, this team is simply not good enough as it stands today.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooiilleerr_bergeron
I expect they'd do the draft order by lottery, the same way they do the top 5 (or whatever it is) right now. Or make it similar, anyway -- have all teams draw into the lottery, but the worse teams have a better shot at the high picks, etc.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:34 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

im with you on this one digger, have been pondering those same thoughts. at this point in time i say it might be time to start jettisioning our underachievers and begin a new slate. what is the point of having an average team year after year and it doesnt look good in terms of making the playoffs for the oilers this year.
the reality is im just frickin mad how bad this team is playing as of late. it is getting easier and easier to not watch the games and perhaps some changes would rekindle my interest, a trade for guys who play with emotion and a desire to win would be a start.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:47 AM
t0mf00lery

Georges Laraque was pretty candid in the interview that I read. He kept talking about how the team had no emotion and no drive. Sounds very discouraging.

If we do end up in the last five at the end of the season, it wil go down as one of the most underachieving teams ever. This team is the best Oilers team in years on paper. I guess that's why it's so puzzling to see the team play so darn bad.

Old
12-30-2003, 11:59 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
Georges Laraque was pretty candid in the interview that I read. He kept talking about how the team had no emotion and no drive. Sounds very discouraging.

If we do end up in the last five at the end of the season, it wil go down as one of the most underachieving teams ever. This team is the best Oilers team in years on paper. I guess that's why it's so puzzling to see the team play so darn bad.
Best team in years on paper?

I don't think so... it would be different if they had Comrie, but lets be realistic. They aren't as good as the team last year, and that is to be expected when you lose your top 3 point getters from last season.

The Oilers needed a lot of things go right this year, and not enough of them have.

Yes, Hemsky has improved and York is better than last year, but guys like Brewer and Salo haven't shown the necessary improvement over last year. And guys like Smyth, Horcoff, Chimera, have all taken steps backwards from last year as well.

I have faith that the team can turn it around, but by no means was this a team that should have easily made the playoffs, and it was going to take alot for them to make the playoffs. So far, not enough of it has happened, and they are struggling.

Old
12-30-2003, 12:21 PM
t0mf00lery

I hear what you're saying, but I think my point still stands. Look at the overall depth we have lines 1-4 and compare it to years gone by. Like I said, it's the best team on paper that we've had in years.

From last years' team we had Niinimaa, Marchant, Carter, and Comrie.

But this year we've added Torres, Isbister, Stoll, Dvorak, Cross, and Conklin.

Old
12-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
From last years' team we had Niinimaa, Marchant, Carter, and Comrie.

But this year we've added Torres, Isbister, Stoll, Dvorak, Cross, and Conklin.
At this point in time I'd rather have Niinimaa than any of those players.. granted we ended up getting two good players for him but I think he is one player the Oilers have really missed this season.

Closed Thread