HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Lecavalier a plausible acquisition?

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2003, 07:01 AM
sensens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I could see a deal centering on smith because of his age / contract status. Something like smith + oates + laraque/rita as being fair value, especially if TB could get oates name on a contract extension.
Nothing against Jason Smith (who I like a lot), but this is nowhere close. Oates is utterly worthless in trade, and Laraque is the most expensive enforcer in hockey, who has never consistently demonstrated enough to warrant anything more than 4th line ice time. Rita is alright as a prospect, but I'm not sure it's prospects that Tampa is after.

Call that fair value all you want, but it won't even get you at the table in the trade talks for Lecavalier.

Old
12-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Shizuka

A big concern I would have is that the guy is feuding in the media with his coach. We just shipped out a young fellow who was feuding with his GM in the local dailies. The last thing I want to see is another primadonna. Granted, we're far removed from TB and aren't privy to all of the goings-on, but a guy with an attitude problem concerns me.

Secondly, it's already been pointed out by rabid TB fans (check their boards ) that he is a franchise type player; no arguments there. A 23 year old, 6'4" prototype power forward capable of 60 points + on a conservative estimate and able to handle the rigours of a tough Eastern conference. The current players on our roster do not fit their needs, with the exception of Hemsky and Brewer. We are thin on defense as it is, and trading Brewer away and weakening it further is not feasible. Hemsky, needless to say, is as close to untouchable as you can get on the roster. Lowe stated that missing the playoffs was not an option, which I believe relates to the revenue generated for the club from the post season. That money is essential for operation costs, I would have to think.

Yes, I realize Feaster stood behind his guy Tortorella, but that is the public face he put forward. It should be quite evident that the things people say to the media are often taken out of context, subject to a writer's / reporter's bias, and also subject to each person's interpretation. When the heat comes down from the stands and the fans react to the poor play of the team...the finger almost invariably gets pointed at the coach, first. I have a really difficult time believing Lecavalier would be ousted over Tortorella. The kid is the product on the ice; you don't sell the coach to the fans (coaches don't get much respect, do they?). And if he were to trade him, I highly doubt we have the depth on our roster to give up a bunch for him and still manage to remain competitive enough for a playoff run (which is in all likelihood essential to maintaining a healthy financial picture for the club and its future).

It's a pipedream guys...

Last edited by Shizuka: 12-30-2003 at 07:28 AM.
Old
12-30-2003, 07:34 AM
Mr Sakich

this from Spector's today:

If Smith were available and if Lowe was looking to move him to an Eastern club, there would be lots of interest (Maple Leafs, Lightning, Bruins, Canadiens, Rangers, Capitals.)

notice the second team mentioned is the lightning. Smith is having a norris type year. He is amongst the league leaders for +/- for dmen and already has 13 points, despite playing for a team with the 5th worst record in the nhl and playing against the hardest schedule of any team.

Of all the guys who get Norris mentions, he is by far and away the most physical and is on pace for 30 points. IMO, his value to a cup contender is huge because he is so well suited for the playoffs.

Lowe recently said that the market is paying huge premiums for dmen right now as most teams seem to be satisfied with their forwards and goalies. IMO, Smith could easily be the centrepiece of a vinny trade.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:17 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Combine this with the fact that TB has one of the easiest schedules (only atlanta and ott have had easier schedules) and he is on pace for 48 points and minus 10. BTW, the oilers are tied with Pheonix as having the toughest schedule so far this year.
Um, where are you getting this from?

Old
12-30-2003, 09:45 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Smith is having a norris type year.
Norris type year? Aren't you getting a little carried away? Usually guys who win the Norris, or even challenge, as guys who put up big points--30 does not qualify.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:48 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
well, seeing as nobody has mentioned him, what about Isbister? I'm a huge Izzy fan, he's one of my favorite Oilers, but for Vinny obviously I'd be happy to see him as part of a package. Would Izzy and first and Smith be good? I think that is decent value.

Old
12-30-2003, 09:56 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
well, seeing as nobody has mentioned him, what about Isbister? I'm a huge Izzy fan, he's one of my favorite Oilers, but for Vinny obviously I'd be happy to see him as part of a package. Would Izzy and first and Smith be good? I think that is decent value.
Since our first looks like a top 5, that trade might work.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:04 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Since our first looks like a top 5, that trade might work.
Well, I was thinking of giving the Flyers pick (should have said that I guess). But people forget how terrible the team is for a good 15-20 game stretch every year. Every time we go through one of these everybody panicks and declares how the team sucks and it can't make the playoffs and how we should dump all our vets. I know that this is looking pretty scary, but all we can do is keep our fingers crossed that this skid doesn't last into '04.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:39 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
Um, where are you getting this from?
there is a betting handicapper who writes a column for USA Today - Jeff Sagarin. His charts are to be used to help people handicap baseball, basketball, football, and hockey games. He uses statistical analysis to see who plays tougher teams more often as well as teams who are on a hot streak. The link for 2003-4 NHL is:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nhl0304.htm

some interesting stuff -

vancouver has played the 5th toughest schedule so their record is quite remarkable.

the flames have had the 21st toughest schedule so they have not clinched a playoff spot yet. Plenty of tough games ahead.

atlanta has played the second easiest sched so that may explain some of their early seasn success.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Norris type year? Aren't you getting a little carried away? Usually guys who win the Norris, or even challenge, as guys who put up big points--30 does not qualify.
totally agree. There is no way he will win a Norris but he is having as good a year as any dman in the league right now. He brings the whole package, not just Kaberle style offense with timid defense. He is one of the toughest dmen in the league and for him to be putting up those +/- numbers and points is pretty good. He will be getting a monster award in arbitration next year.

Old
12-30-2003, 10:55 AM
looooob

Quote:
there is a betting handicapper who writes a column for USA Today - Jeff Sagarin. His charts are to be used to help people handicap baseball, basketball, football, and hockey games. He uses statistical analysis to see who plays tougher teams more often as well as teams who are on a hot streak. The link for 2003-4 NHL is:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nhl0304.htm

some interesting stuff -

vancouver has played the 5th toughest schedule so their record is quite remarkable.

the flames have had the 21st toughest schedule so they have not clinched a playoff spot yet. Plenty of tough games ahead.

atlanta has played the second easiest sched so that may explain some of their early seasn success.
it's just because we've played the Oilers so many times (I'm teasing folks, teasing)

seriously it's a little surprising to me that the degree of difficulty in Cgy and Edm schedule has been so disparate, just because it often seems that both teams are playing similar clubs (at home anyways), I guess you guys must have gone on some tougher road trips?

Phoenix has played a ton on the road so far, so it makes sense that they've had a tough schedule

Old
12-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
it's just because we've played the Oilers so many times (I'm teasing folks, teasing)

LMAO, I was actually thinking that as I typed the Calgary comment.

Closed Thread