HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We are still rebuilding, after all

Old
04-20-2013, 10:50 PM
jedimyrmidon

vCash: 500
I'd be more frustrated at DD pulling a disappearing act for most of the season while getting prime offensive minutes, always having good linemates, and PP time, and not too many defensive starts.

Or maybe I'd be frustrated that Therrien doesn't appear to be getting the message like Ottawa did when they encountered major injuries: TIGHTEN UP DEFENSIVELY! Make adjustments!

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:55 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
I'd be more frustrated at DD pulling a disappearing act for most of the season while getting prime offensive minutes, always having good linemates, and PP time, and not too many defensive starts.

Or maybe I'd be frustrated that Therrien doesn't appear to be getting the message like Ottawa did when they encountered major injuries: TIGHTEN UP DEFENSIVELY! Make adjustments!
Or, you know, go with the reward system he promised in the first place? He made it seem like everything is possible.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
Can people stop defending Price??? Like i was always defending him but now it's obvious that the defense is not the only reason we are sucking right now. Where was the Carey from the early season when he was making clutch saves? Since the game against Pitts when it finished like 7-6, Carey has been really bad. Like i don't know if he's injured or mentally not there, but it's obvious something is wrong. I hope he gets his **** together because we gonna need him in the playoffs.
He was fine after the Pittsburgh game and running from then until the Toronto game at a .925 save percentage.

He sucked against TO and hasn't been the same since. No doubt the D hasn't helped him out (at all) but he needs to be better. We saw this years ago, his 2nd in the league. He was on fire until getting hurt. Then he returned and played like this. I never thought we'd see that again but man it's happening again.

The other big losses this year didn't bother me at all. He bounced back and he was very solid for us. Right now though? It's very ugly. Too bad we can't count on the D to help out but that's why Price gets the bucks. We NEED him to step up right now.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:59 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

Coaches might not be doing a good job communicating what they want to the players. Or they just don't know what the problem is, such as overusing and not resting Markov.
Or the players are just simply not good enough to execute the system.
Or a combination of these factors.

MoldyCakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:07 PM
sheed36

I wouldn't be surprised if that Tampa win was the last Habs win we see this season.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Chfan
HFB Partner

I personally didn't like giving Bourque his first line winger place and demoting Ryder. I always felt like Ryder was an easily distracted guy. He was getting lots of points, we should have kept him there.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:13 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
So many of you just can't see past the losses and, yes, the infuriating way in which they have been losing.

But here's the reality: consecutive blowouts AREN'T normal! Did you ever take the time to consider that these are not normal losses and thus it would be irrational to make SWEEPING conclusions about ONE GUY - Price - based on these ABNORMAL circumstances???

Has there been a team in last two decades to get blown out 10 games in a row? Because that's what many of you are acting like. I just hope the Habs players don't have the same mentality.

Many will look jealously to Reimer because all they want are wins. They FORGET that there is no way that he can do that consistently, and it would be EQUALLY as foolish to base his performance of his recent performances.

So the Habs perform well for 40 games or so, and now that it's apparently falling apart, NOW is the time that many people decide to put their foot down and make decisions concerning players' fates? Give me a break.
Well, if 5 games become 8 and we don't see any difference, what is happening now is actually "the new normal" and the worry would be extremely legit, as the playoffs are imminent and the still would not have broken their bad streak yet.

Old
04-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Chfan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if that Tampa win was the last Habs win we see this season.
I see us winning against Leafs and getting into playoffs with confidence.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:26 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Well, if 5 games become 8 and we don't see any difference, what is happening now is actually "the new normal" and the worry would be extremely legit, as the playoffs are imminent and the still would not have broken their bad streak yet.
Oh, I agree that it's rather frustrating that these blowouts have been so very frequent over the past week.

But that's what I'm wondering: in the entire NHL, when teams go on losing streaks, does it ever look like multiple blowouts? Or is this something freakish?

In any case, I don't think I'm delusional in stating that the Habs won't continue to lose like this forever and I'm reeeaaally hoping they stop this bleeding so that they're ready for the playoffs. Heck, if it takes giving up home ice to avoid the vicious crowd, I'm all for it. So my point to many people here stands: you don't conclude things based solely on this past week while totally ignoring the 40 other games.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

But, if one wants to do any kind of forecast based on past results, more recent results just have to be weighted more heavily.

If we aren't sucking on purpose, we're in for blowouts in the playoffs...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I sent a Twitter message to all the X-Men actors who attended and apologised for tonight's game. I think they deserve that and a refund.
What tells you they are were cheering for the Habs?

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:43 PM
durojean

I think goaltending is making it seem worst than it really is.

Yes we are probably in a slump either way. But if Price is playing only decent. Instead of losing the games by a large margin, we make it close game and there's a lot less worries.

A game like tonight for example should never have been a 5 - 1 lost. We actually dominated the pace of the game et make them take a lot of penalities.

We would not have won because we could'nt capitalize on our scoring chances. But this game looked way more like a 2 - 1 lost than like a 5 - 1 lost if we only look at the way the players played.

That being said and even if I'm not Price's biggest fan, I could also say that he's better then that.

I hope for the best for tge rest of the year and I actually think we should le Price in net until the end of the year even if he gets smoked. At some point his pride is going to show.

And who knows maybe he's gearing up for one of his great streak when he's actually unbeatable ( a la Brian Boucher )

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:51 PM
rlyeh

not worried yet

It does seem as if the habs have taken the foot off the pedal since they clinched. Since the TO blowout, the habs are always second on the puck. Passes are flubbed, no flow to the game, no focussed energy or determination. What kept the habs on top for so long was their ability to track pucks and turn the flow back to the opponent's zone really quickly. I was quite impressed by this during the first months of the season.
This is obvious when you look at how then exit the zone and how they enter into the offensive zone. During the first months, dmen would rush to pick up the puck before opponents had a chance to pressure them. Diaz was great at this. He would fold back full speed to retrieve the puck and send it back up quickly. Almost never any immobile D to D passes that now allow defenders to setup defensive coverage at their convenience. Habs seemed to be able to transition really quickly and set up a fast paced cycling game where they always seemed to have a fraction of a second advantage over their opponents.
These past few games, the habs aren't controlling the neutral zone, and they seem to have lost their quickness, whereas before they would play a great anticipation game, block lanes, turn 180 back up lighting quick. Now they're always clogged and when that happens, because of their style and size, they are easily taken off the puck and lose territorial battles way too easily.
Don't know what it is. Loss of focus and determination (already clinched)? Fatigue? Injuries? Opponents have them figured out (can't be that easy, can it)?
Sure the loss of Emelin hurts, but he's not a superstar carrying the team and the success of the team does not depend solely on him. Has to be something else...
In any case, I'm not worried yet. If it's only a matter of regaining focus and drive, then they should be ok for the playoffs. If it's something deeper, then I think that with the way this team is playing, they definitely won't last past the first round. We'll have to wait and see...

rlyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:01 AM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

So. Jones or Drouin?

PricerStopDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
I think goaltending is making it seem worst than it really is.

Yes we are probably in a slump either way. But if Price is playing only decent. Instead of losing the games by a large margin, we make it close game and there's a lot less worries.

A game like tonight for example should never have been a 5 - 1 lost. We actually dominated the pace of the game et make them take a lot of penalities.

We would not have won because we could'nt capitalize on our scoring chances. But this game looked way more like a 2 - 1 lost than like a 5 - 1 lost if we only look at the way the players played.

That being said and even if I'm not Price's biggest fan, I could also say that he's better then that.

I hope for the best for tge rest of the year and I actually think we should le Price in net until the end of the year even if he gets smoked. At some point his pride is going to show.

And who knows maybe he's gearing up for one of his great streak when he's actually unbeatable ( a la Brian Boucher )
There's no doubt the Toronto loss is entirely on goaltending. And even though our D has been brutal since, Price has to step up to bail us out. I don't feel like he's letting in soft goals, but he needs to lead the way.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:05 AM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Oh, I agree that it's rather frustrating that these blowouts have been so very frequent over the past week.

But that's what I'm wondering: in the entire NHL, when teams go on losing streaks, does it ever look like multiple blowouts? Or is this something freakish?

In any case, I don't think I'm delusional in stating that the Habs won't continue to lose like this forever and I'm reeeaaally hoping they stop this bleeding so that they're ready for the playoffs. Heck, if it takes giving up home ice to avoid the vicious crowd, I'm all for it. So my point to many people here stands: you don't conclude things based solely on this past week while totally ignoring the 40 other games.
Multiple blowouts plus a 4 post fest is something rather atypical of a high-seeded team. I wouldn't be surprised if teams invested in the tank might have gone on such a streak, though. But I haven't followed hockey nearly as much as some others have, so I don't really know this particular trivia.

Oh, I do hope we get our stuff together, but we only have 3 games to get our **** together before the playoffs. Three games is all we have left.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:13 AM
zzoo

From the last few games, it seems that there's a trend: Habs has allowed 1-2 goals very early in the game (in TB game, it's the posts that saved us). Then, we have to play catch-up game all the way. Goalie has beaten in the first few shots.

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:18 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
From the last few games, it seems that there's a trend: Habs has allowed 1-2 goals very early in the game (in TB game, it's the posts that saved us). Then, we have to play catch-up game all the way. Goalie has beaten in the first few shots.
Due to terrible coverage.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
And turnovers

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Disturbed1
Dale ****ing Weise

vCash: 50
This team is in shock as much as we are at making the playoffs after last year's fallout. Could explain their play after making them. The playoffs will wake them up hopefully and get them back to their winning ways. Not losing hope yet!

Disturbed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
So. Jones or Drouin?
The cost of getting either is very steep and we can afford it only if we neither win the division nor make the ECF/SCF.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:49 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Therrien: I'm disappointing.

Yes. Yes you are

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
And turnovers
Agree with this, although Price is part of the defence and has to be better.

You see it on the 1st goal though. Pleks fumbles the risky pass from PK and then Pleks let's OV skate by him with the puck and it's in the back of the net. Risky pass (PK) + poor effort (Pleks) and Price doesn't bail them out.

2nd goal though, everyone is in position and it's a weak shot that Price has to come up with. No question. Goalies face those types of shots multiple times every game, and already down 1 - 0 he has to make a save there.

3rd goal made me laugh. Like watching a tyke game where everyone is either mesmerized by the puck or blindly chasing after. Gorges really shouldn't have gone into the corner to help Bouillion, but ok he did and could have cleared it had he cleanly won the puck battle. But why on earth Halpern went into the corner when Bourque was covering the front of the net leaving the entire slot to the opposing left D wide open is beyond me. If Halpern recognizes that he needs to cover for Bourque who is covering for Gorges then Brouwer doesn't come in late and get the shot off. Yeah of course a save would have been nice, but I doubt the coaching staff is gonna pat them on the back for a great job defensively on that play. But it's a domino effect when one guy drifts out of position, either teammates cover or they don't.

Two pp goals are what they are, but the 1st 3 goals you can pin on turnovers, poor coverage, and goaltending. They need to clean up in zone.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:09 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
I personally didn't like giving Bourque his first line winger place and demoting Ryder. I always felt like Ryder was an easily distracted guy. He was getting lots of points, we should have kept him there.
They want to keep Bourque happy, he is here for 4 more years. Ryder is gone on a few months.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:19 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Therrien: I'm disappointing.

Yes. Yes you are
Hahaha, when he said that I thought Freudian language slip. (If there was such a thing.)

That should be played on repeat like a GIF.

"Habs lose 5-1", "I am disappointing"

"Habs blow 3 goals lead", "I am disappointing"

"Paul Maclean wins Jack Adams", "I am disappointing"

He put the responsibility on himself in the PC, which I was waiting for since awhile, but we've heard that before from other coaches. Time to see what he's really made of. (Answer: Disappointment)

jk gonna give him a chance here.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote