HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Mats86

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
The problem is -- Kristo and Hudon likely won't be gone.

Neither are locks to make the NHL, but so is Petan.

Our 1st and 2nd might be extremely close.

Poirier has huge bandwagon lately. What's so amazing with him is how he progressed from last season. He was really slower than slow. Now his speed will pretty much be a neutral factor as far as NHL is concerned, and he looks fast in the Q.

No problem with Petan... but not with our first three picks.
I never draft on what we need...did that with Giroux draft when no defensemen in system and see what we missed out on. If Timmins decides Petan is guy he wants then I am all for it. Besides I doubt Kristo will be anymore than a backliner. At 22-23, whatever his age is, he is well behind Hudon at 18-19, in development.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:31 PM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
The really freaky thing with Nichuskin is that he doesn't just skate through other kids his own age, he does the same to grown men.
He looks faster than he did at the WJC and much more creative.

Very strong skater, at one point he carried the puck in skating sideways, held off two defenders and then spun and got a hard shot away, all very effortless and smooth.

It's not even fair at this level.

Old
04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
If he shows a willingness to come over like Tarasenko, sure. But I still don't think he will be on Montreal's radar. I haven't been watching this game, but from what I've seen before, he looks like a selfish player that would rather try and deke 4 guys than make a pass. He is extremely skilled though.
He won't be there when we pick anyway.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:38 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Exciting game! Thanks for the stream.

JT Compher and Mike McCarron really stand out, some flashes from Hudson Fasching as well. Size and skill combo, could still be there in the 3rd.

Connor Clifton was somebody I knew little about who stood out for good things.

Tolchinsky would be a late-pick project, so quick and smart. Some Datsyukian qualities there.
If either JT Compher or McCarron are available with any 2nd's take them and run like a pick-pocket.Same goes for J.Diaby with the Habs 2nd and J.Hayden and Tyler Hill with the 3rd round picks.If Morin is there use the 1st on him and the 6th round pick on Clapperton and the 7th pick for S.Henley.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
The problem is -- Kristo and Hudon likely won't be gone.

Neither are locks to make the NHL, but so is Petan.

Our 1st and 2nd might be extremely close.

Poirier has huge bandwagon lately. What's so amazing with him is how he progressed from last season. He was really slower than slow. Now his speed will pretty much be a neutral factor as far as NHL is concerned, and he looks fast in the Q.

No problem with Petan... but not with our first three picks.
My hunch is Petan is gone before our 1st. Unless he falls flat on his face the rest of the way or at the combine, I see him going 21-25. Somebody looking for skill will take him(like Giroux in 2006).

If they see him as clear BPA and he makes it to our pick, take him fast. The size thing is overblown. If Petan is a gamebreaker, you acn clear out other small players or tarde for some big guys. Drafting purely on size is as dumb as it gets, TB did it about 7-8 years ago for 4-5 drafts and their system flopped. Go look it up.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If either JT Compher or McCarron are available with any 2nd's take them and run like a pick-pocket.Same goes for J.Diaby with the Habs 2nd and J.Hayden and Tyler Hill with the 3rd round picksIf Morin is there use the 1st on him and the 6th round pick on Clapperton and the 7th pick for S.Henley.
I would rather select a pylon than morin with our first round pick...

Old
04-20-2013, 06:08 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Tell him that when you're on the ice with him!

Old
04-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Dea Drouin and MacKinnon all with 3 points so far Hal-RN

Old
04-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Morin wouldn't be a bad 1st round pick. Some have him going as high as 20th. I don't want to pick him as a need pick, we already have Tinordi in that mold. If he is the clear cut best available then fine.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:48 PM
Laboeuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I never draft on what we need...did that with Giroux draft when no defensemen in system and see what we missed out on. If Timmins decides Petan is guy he wants then I am all for it. Besides I doubt Kristo will be anymore than a backliner. At 22-23, whatever his age is, he is well behind Hudon at 18-19, in development.
I've seen Kristo played many times. He looks like someone who plays for the NY Rangers. Very similar to Ryan Callahan. I'm not saying he's Callahan but he's that 6th or top 9 guy that can score and shut down players. For the older fans, like myself, Mike Keane comes to mind as a good comparison.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:04 PM
NewHabsEra*

What you guys think of Zykov? Could he be a solid first round pick for us?

Old
04-20-2013, 10:14 PM
habsfan92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
I've seen Kristo played many times. He looks like someone who plays for the NY Rangers. Very similar to Ryan Callahan. I'm not saying he's Callahan but he's that 6th or top 9 guy that can score and shut down players. For the older fans, like myself, Mike Keane comes to mind as a good comparison.
I am an older fan, and they are completely different players. Totally different styles. Kristo is more like a Russ Courtnall with defensive awareness.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
What you guys think of Zykov? Could he be a solid first round pick for us?
Yes. Zykov has an excellent shot and solid offensive skill overall. But what I like most about him is he's sort built like a tank and will use his size around the boards to win battles.

The intangibles also seem strong with him. The reports from B-C are he's fit in really well with that team, speaks decent english and has even taken french lessons.

I'm usually all for going BPA at all costs, but this year, we NEED to draft some size and power if we ever are going to shed this small/soft image of the big team. It's almost impossible to do it via trade or FA. You have to draft that aspect. Zykov would fit. With that said, if Petan or Compher is available in the 2nd, yeah, you take that type of player. But there needs to be a priority on getting size and power game with some of these picks.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:47 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yes. Zykov has an excellent shot and solid offensive skill overall. But what I like most about him is he's sort built like a tank and will use his size around the boards to win battles.

The intangibles also seem strong with him. The reports from B-C are he's fit in really well with that team, speaks decent english and has even taken french lessons.

I'm usually all for going BPA at all costs, but this year, we NEED to draft some size and power if we ever are going to shed this small/soft image of the big team. It's almost impossible to do it via trade or FA. You have to draft that aspect. Zykov would fit. With that said, if Petan or Compher is available in the 2nd, yeah, you take that type of player. But there needs to be a priority on getting size and power game with some of these picks.
Im looking to watch him on tuesday, tva sport show the game against Armada, Im really intrigued in this kid..

Old
04-21-2013, 01:50 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
I see, so am I,

There's very little in terms of video of him which is again, mysterious. The 18 year old leading the CHL in points has almost 0 videos of him on YouTube.

Your wish is my command. It is such a shame for someone so talented to be rather unappreciated video wise.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:18 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

Your wish is my command. It is such a shame for someone so talented to be rather unappreciated video wise.
Definitely looks very talented. That pass at 1:30, that goal at 2:25 and that last one are pretty impressive. Really makes you wonder why he doesn't get more hype than this.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Halifaxhab

Our need is a big strong fwd with skill. Guys like Gauthier, Mantha, Rychel, Zykov or Carrier are all in that type, and can be consided BPA at that pick (or with our early 2nds ) getting two of these guys is possible.

Another player who would be a project pick and a good gamble in the 3rd is tyler hill. Think Lucic...but meaner. His skating needs work, but that is coaching. Got a friend based in Chicago who scouts and he calls him the sleeper pick he also thinks we would regret not picking Downing in the 3rd, compares him to McDonagh with better lateral movement.

Basically Timmins has the opportunity to have another top end draft like 2012. But with higher picks.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

The only position we are small right now is on defense, and it's because Emelin is out and Tinordi and Beaulieu are not yet in the NHL.

IMHO it would be dumb to just look for size early in any draft. Sign big UFA's or make a trade if size is an issue now.

I have no problem with Zykov, but I think part of the reason he does so well is that he is physically more advanced than his peers.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:55 AM
phillytennis

Petan...special offensive talent!!!

For those who watched the best juniors in action in the Orr vs. Cherry match-up,
Petan clearly showed he can play with bigger players. He is like Giroux and Sakic...thinking and reacting one step ahead of the players on the ice. If we had the opportunity to choose him with our 1st pick...we shouldn't hesitate to do so!!!

Old
04-21-2013, 09:47 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
The only position we are small right now is on defense, and it's because Emelin is out and Tinordi and Beaulieu are not yet in the NHL.

IMHO it would be dumb to just look for size early in any draft. Sign big UFA's or make a trade if size is an issue now.

I have no problem with Zykov, but I think part of the reason he does so well is that he is physically more advanced than his peers.
Beaulieu is not big, he's 6'1", he would be the shortest player on the Maple Leafs defense (Phaneuf 6'3", Franson 6'5", O'Byrne 6'5", Fraser 6'3", Gunnarsson 6'2", Kostka 6'2", Gardiner 6'2"). Only Liles is smaller, but he's a healthy scratch most of the time.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Our need is a big strong fwd with skill. Guys like Gauthier, Mantha, Rychel, Zykov or Carrier are all in that type, and can be consided BPA at that pick (or with our early 2nds ) getting two of these guys is possible.

Another player who would be a project pick and a good gamble in the 3rd is tyler hill. Think Lucic...but meaner. His skating needs work, but that is coaching. Got a friend based in Chicago who scouts and he calls him the sleeper pick he also thinks we would regret not picking Downing in the 3rd, compares him to McDonagh with better lateral movement.

Basically Timmins has the opportunity to have another top end draft like 2012. But with higher picks.
De La Rose fits the mould, will keep an eye on Tyler Hill. Same offensive potential as Lucic or more of a 3rd liner?

Old
04-21-2013, 10:00 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Sign big UFA's or make a trade if size is an issue now.
We've been saying that for 10 years. It pretty much hasn't happened. At some point, you have to realize it's going to have to come from the draft.

And this one seems like a great one to do it with several big forwards and D's.

I am not even really looking at the current NHL team when saying this because to me this current team will probably be half gone when the contention window truly opens in 2014-15 or 2015-16, I'm looking at the prospect ranks. There's a glaring need for size and power game there, especially up front.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Draft

Quote:
We've been saying that for 10 years. It pretty much hasn't happened. At some point, you have to realize it's going to have to come from the draft.

And this one seems like a great one to do it with several big forwards and D's.

I am not even really looking at the current NHL team when saying this because to me this current team will probably be half gone when the contention window truly opens in 2014-15 or 2015-16, I'm looking at the prospect ranks. There's a glaring need for size and power game there, especially up front.
To help our current team, Free Agency this year is wonderful. You're definitely right about our prospects and younger core at the moment, few large or strong players, several smaller PMD-types, no one that you could see turning into a power forward or grinding player. Physicality doesn't stand out with any of our prospects except for Tinordi.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Beaulieu is not big, he's 6'1", he would be the shortest player on the Maple Leafs defense (Phaneuf 6'3", Franson 6'5", O'Byrne 6'5", Fraser 6'3", Gunnarsson 6'2", Kostka 6'2", Gardiner 6'2"). Only Liles is smaller, but he's a healthy scratch most of the time.
Who gives a rats ass about the maple Leafs defense? They are not very good and it`s the weakest part of their team. It's why Reimer has to stop 35+ shots a night and get 1st star for them to win.

Beaulieu is listed at 6'2" 195lbs on the Hamilton roster, he was listed 6'3" 191lbs on the Sea Dogs. He looks at least 6'2" in an NHL jersey.

Fans on here are getting beyond ridiculous. Our defense has put up a ton of points and given up few shots all year(1225 in 2726 minutes, 26.9 average, among the lowest in the NHL). Sudden;t Price can't stop a beach ball and the defense sucks and needs to all be replace by a bunch of oversized gorillas.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Hansman

Considering we pick appx 21st,Iwould package that with our 1st 2nd and aprospect to move up and draft Rasmus Ristolainen.Our 2nd from Nashville draft Ian Mcoshen.Our 2nd takes Tyler Hill.Dallas 3rd takes Michael McCarron,our 3rd Mason Geertsen.We have size and talent in those 5 picks.

Closed Thread