HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Laughton to Edmonton

Old
04-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
If you think Laughton is worth as much as Klefbom, you really need to read up on your prospects.
If you think he's not, you might need to read up on Laughton...

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:13 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
If you think he's not, you might need to read up on Laughton...
And to think people had problems with my proposal... I apologize for Oiler fans... even though I am outnumbered on my own board... who think Klefbom is our savior and deliverer of playoff spot this year...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
No one disagreed that Klefbom is fair value and a decent trade--all GKJ was suggesting was that the Flyers would want an NHL-ready piece in return. I don't think Marincin fits that description, but, assuming he'll be healthy, Klefbom does.

This is what happens when people agree too quickly on the value of a trade. Klefbom for Laughton is fair all around. No idea whether either team would do it, but this just feels like kicking up drama to keep a thread interesting.

EDIT: To be fair, the only low-ball offers (and, by HF standards, they really weren't even that) came from Oilers fans: Marincin, or Marincin + 2nd/3rd.
To be fair to oiler fans, I was the first to throw out Marincin, but it wasn't as a lowball offer, just to get things rolling. I figured a Flyer fan would either pick it up and add or go straight to Klefbom.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:26 PM
thalegion

To be honest though I don't see how Laughton = Klefbom regardless of him being the type of player we would need bear in mind I have very limited viewing of him but I personally value Kbomb very effing high

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:33 PM
lakai17

Marincin is no low ball offer, look at what he's been doing in the AHL, he could crack Philly's defence next season or after next season guaranteed.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
If you think Laughton is worth as much as Klefbom, you really need to read up on your prospects.
I think it is the other way around. Laughton is not getting moved for chump change so that's that! Now we do have other players you may be interested in.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Marincin is no low ball offer, look at what he's been doing in the AHL, he could crack Philly's defence next season or after next season guaranteed.
Then he should make Klefbom expendable.

If Laughton isn't traded, there's every indication that he will open the season on the Flyers 3rd line next year--either at center or at LW (depending on what happens with Couturier). If this had been a full season, it is quite likely that Laughton would have stuck with the big club--but the team didn't want to burn a year of his ELC for a few months of play.

Since being returned, he's put up an impressive season in the OHL (leading other team's scouts to refer to him as the league's best player), carrying Oshawa into the 2nd round. After their elimination, he was sent to Adirondack, where he's not looked out of place (albiet in a short stint). Asked by the press last week about Laughton's performance in the AHL, Holmgren said something like "he's not long for this league," which everyone took as further confirmation that the organization expects him in Philadelphia next year.

His emergence is one reason that the Flyers may well end up shopping Couturier. That should tell you something about his perceived value. EDIT: If EDM believes that they can get a 2C in the draft this year, they probably don't make this move, but there's no reason for the Flyers to sell low on a player who's stock is rising.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:56 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I think it is the other way around. Laughton is not getting moved for chump change so that's that! Now we do have other players you may be interested in.
you called Klefbom chump change?

Old
04-20-2013, 11:03 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Klefbom for Laughton... helps both teams needs...
Maybe if one of edmonton's needs is a good old reaming

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Maybe if one of edmonton's needs is a good old reaming
Silliness abounds on both sides.

If the Oilers aren't willing to part with Klefbom, I don't see a realistic deal to be made here. The Flyers aren't really in a position to move key pieces for two lesser assets (e.g., Marincin + 2nd).

Old
04-20-2013, 11:11 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Why would the oilers trade a prospect with top 2 potential for an average sized center who will very likely be a third liner? In what world is this legit?

Old
04-20-2013, 11:31 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Silliness abounds on both sides.

If the Oilers aren't willing to part with Klefbom, I don't see a realistic deal to be made here. The Flyers aren't really in a position to move key pieces for two lesser assets (e.g., Marincin + 2nd).
Agreed. The Flyers and Oilers aren't great trading partners. Both need some top2 and 5-6 dman upgrades.

Perhaps something could happen around Hartnell, but it would be tough to find something.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:37 PM
17Kurri

vCash: 833
How about the Oilers keep Klefbom and the Flyers keep Laughton and let's chat again in 5 years, when both teams actually have an idea of what they have?

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Why would the oilers trade a prospect with top 2 potential for an average sized center who will very likely be a third liner? In what world is this legit?

You realize that you're taking one player's ceiling and the other player's floor, right?

More likely than not, Klefbom turns into a very good 2nd pairing defenseman and Laughton into a very good middle-six center (below average 2C or above average 3C). The two players are fairly close in their pedigree, their projection, and their production to date.

Of course there is a risk that one with develop and the other will not--and that's why prospect-for-prospect swaps are rare.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:24 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:

You realize that you're taking one player's ceiling and the other player's floor, right?

More likely than not, Klefbom turns into a very good 2nd pairing defenseman and Laughton into a very good middle-six center (below average 2C or above average 3C). The two players are fairly close in their pedigree, their projection, and their production to date.

Of course there is a risk that one with develop and the other will not--and that's why prospect-for-prospect swaps are rare.
No he's not. Both players bottom is BUST. Klefbom has a ceiling of top pair center, I don't think you can say that Laughton has a ceiling of top line center.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Devonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
How about the Oilers keep Klefbom and the Flyers keep Laughton and let's chat again in 5 years, when both teams actually have an idea of what they have?
Sounds like a most reasonable idea! Sounds like both fan bases are very happy with their prospective prospects....

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:19 AM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
No he's not. Both players bottom is BUST. Klefbom has a ceiling of top pair center, I don't think you can say that Laughton has a ceiling of top line center.
Dayum Klefbom can be either a top pair center and a top 2 dman!?!?!?!!?! I want thisguy!

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:23 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Five years? We're talking Klefbom, I know what value he has and it's more than Laughton at the end of today. Oscar Klefbom could actually be better then Justin Schultz today.

I wouldn't even trade Marincin for Laughton actually. Anton Lander will become an excellent third line center.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:27 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Quote:
I read this as if you wrote it angrily, and it made me chuckle.

As for the thread - someone mentioned Musil - how's he coming along? Is he looking to be a good 31st overall pick so far?

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:56 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Some of you people guaranteed have never even watched Laughton, clearly. The guy looked like a 3rd line center in the NHL as an 18 year old. Klefbom is good also but you people saying that its not even close for Oilers should go troll somewhere else. Its a very fair deal.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:29 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
As for the thread - someone mentioned Musil - how's he coming along? Is he looking to be a good 31st overall pick so far?
He's coming along well. Still not the greatest skater, but he reads the play well and is as strong as a bull. He'll step in nicely in OKC next year. Looking back, there's probably guys I'd rather we have taken, but he should be a steady bottom 4 guy in the NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Some of you people guaranteed have never even watched Laughton, clearly. The guy looked like a 3rd line center in the NHL as an 18 year old. Klefbom is good also but you people saying that its not even close for Oilers should go troll somewhere else. Its a very fair deal.
Usually when one fan base can't decline fast enough, and the other thinks it's fair, it's not fair...

04-21-2013, 06:51 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
A player's "floor" is the most conservative projection of a player's potential at the NHL level. Since all prospects have the potential to "bust," it is sort of useless to use it in evaluation, because it fails to draw distinctions between players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Usually when one fan base can't decline fast enough, and the other thinks it's fair, it's not fair...
Are we talking about Klefbom-Laughton, or Laughton-Marincin/Musil?

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-21-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old
04-21-2013, 10:44 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Maybe you should have some viewings of Klefbom before you pop off. This trade would never happen. Klefbom has more value any way you slice it. You don't trade a defenceman with his skill set for a third line center.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Maybe you should have some viewings of Klefbom before you pop off. This trade would never happen. Klefbom has more value any way you slice it. You don't trade a defenceman with his skill set for a third line center.
Let's be honest, there's a decent chance that Oilers fans haven't seen much of Laughton and Flyers fans haven't seen much of Klefbom. There's likely ignorance on both sides of the other team's player.

I really don't see the Flyers trading Laughton anyway--not if they are even considering trading Couturier.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:15 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Then he should make Klefbom expendable.

If Laughton isn't traded, there's every indication that he will open the season on the Flyers 3rd line next year--either at center or at LW (depending on what happens with Couturier). If this had been a full season, it is quite likely that Laughton would have stuck with the big club--but the team didn't want to burn a year of his ELC for a few months of play.

Since being returned, he's put up an impressive season in the OHL (leading other team's scouts to refer to him as the league's best player), carrying Oshawa into the 2nd round. After their elimination, he was sent to Adirondack, where he's not looked out of place (albiet in a short stint). Asked by the press last week about Laughton's performance in the AHL, Holmgren said something like "he's not long for this league," which everyone took as further confirmation that the organization expects him in Philadelphia next year.

His emergence is one reason that the Flyers may well end up shopping Couturier. That should tell you something about his perceived value. EDIT: If EDM believes that they can get a 2C in the draft this year, they probably don't make this move, but there's no reason for the Flyers to sell low on a player who's stock is rising.

He had a good season for a future checking line center in the NHL. He had a point a game and was sound defensively. Nothing to write home about.

As far as the ohl playoffs he had impressive numbers while beating up on a poor niagra team.

I'd like to know who these phantom scouts are? I find it kind of telling that he wasn't even invited to try out for canada's world jr team. Kind of strange for the best player in the Ohl to be over looked like that.

What's even more strange is that the aforementioned Klefbom while at the same age was able to lead his team to a gold medal while being named a tournament all star.