HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emergence of Ray Emery as the #1 goaltender

Old
04-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Reminds me of Niemi.
10/11 reminded me of Niemi, this year not so much

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

vCash: 500
Sarava is right when it comes to Crawfords confidence, I have said it for over a year now. If you look at my past posts you will see several dating back to the regular season of last year that I think Crawford doesn't have any confidence right now.

This isn't just about the playoffs last year this is about Crawford last year as a hole. Last year on several occasions Crawford looked like a guy who simply lost it. He has 0 belief in his game and himself and was gone. I remember thinking and posting several times he looks lost and remember times when he got pulled and he would go to the bench and look somber almost.

This isn't saying Crawford doesn't deserve to be the guy, based on play right now I would choose Emery but Crawford has a chance to change that.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBS8844 View Post
We might consider the following. No rule exists saying one goaltender or the other must be anointed the starter for the playoffs. In years past, it worked out that Quenneville needed to designate a starter and lean on him throughout the playoffs (Huet was not an option come playoff time in 2010; Crawford was significantly better than Turco in 2011 and had an edge over Emery last year)...not the case this season. The reality is that the Blackhawks have the luxury of two very good goaltenders playing behind an outstanding defensive team with a rigorous and unfailing "defense-first" credo. Attuned to the minute and paid to be the very best judge of his personnel, trust Q to play the best keeper on any given day, which may well mean that Crow and Razer share the playoff load in favor of team success.
That's a nice theory, won't work but nice.

Find me the team that won the Cup while switching goalies in and out during the playoffs? You won't.

You can maybe switch once if a guy isn't playing well but constantly going back and forth leads to the team not being able to just go out and play and is too worried about who is in net. You find the right guy and go.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

yeah, that only works in NHL13

Old
04-11-2013, 06:24 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post

Find me the team that won the Cup while switching goalies in and out during the playoffs? You won't.

You can maybe switch once if a guy isn't playing well but constantly going back and forth leads to the team not being able to just go out and play and is too worried about who is in net. You find the right guy and go.
It's far from ideal but at least the relative styles of Crawford and Emery are similar. I'm not saying he would, but if Q ever did choose to go that route, there would be no big transition for the Hawk skaters.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:26 PM
BronYrAur

There's not really anything to suggest Crawford is better than Emery or the other way around. Folks will make up all sorts of theories about....

-confidence
-soft goals
-team plays better for one guy

But all of that is complete conjecture and not at all based in any sort of "fact."

Crawford/Emery, the goalie controversy that isn't.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:29 AM
LBS8844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post

I understand that the concept will rip many completely out of their comfort zones, and I agree there's probably no precedent. And we as hockey fans may never see it again. This season's perfect storm of the lockout, the Hawks' incredible makeup (credit the entire organization), and the outstanding and relentlessly consistent team play has forged this anomaly into reality. If you read between Q's quotes, he's already relishing the obvious advantages that this opportunity presents. Believe me, the team is on board. Don't kid yourself into thinking that the rest of the league isn't painfully aware of what's brewing in Chicago. When Q breaks the mold and pulls it off, what indeed will be your words?

Last edited by LBS8844: 04-12-2013 at 02:46 AM.
LBS8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I really like that we are talking about who starts because both are good and not because of who sucks less

Old
04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
LandofLincoln*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
There's not really anything to suggest Crawford is better than Emery or the other way around. Folks will make up all sorts of theories about....

-confidence
-soft goals
-team plays better for one guy

But all of that is complete conjecture and not at all based in any sort of "fact."

Crawford/Emery, the goalie controversy that isn't.

I agree with this that there is no clear proof. Even statistically there is no case one way or the other because their stats are very close to identical. I think if the team voted for who they play better for it net they would vote Emery. If the team had to vote for a starter I think it would be a split just like us fans.

I think you could do a each series with one goalie being the main guy and the backup getting one start per series.

LandofLincoln* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:27 AM
LBS8844

R.I.P. #1 Goaltender thread. We'll miss you.

LBS8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:59 AM
LandofLincoln*

average at best

The last two Crawford games were average. I'm not going to beat him up. We might be able to win a few playoff series with him.

After watching tonight's game and Friday's game... Emery seems to be ahead at this point if not clearly ahead.

I almost think that Q and Stan already have the decision made. And Q keeps on bluffing with....his typical "We'll See" statement.

LandofLincoln* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Did you forget how terrible Emery looked in the last game he played?

Never would've known Crawford was coming off yet another 93%+ game in save percentage.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:38 AM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

This is Western Conference hockey. Crawford can't be relied on. Don't need any bouncers from center ice to get past him in the Playoffs. Emery's the guy.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Ugh. Just going to ignore all Crawford/Emery talk from now on.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:12 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

What's even more sad is we have nothing in the pipeline, there's nothing brewing in Rockford or an ace in Europe to get jacked about. This is as good as it gets unless Stan "the Man" Bowman makes a move or a signing. It seems the rest of our competition falls ass backwards into goalies, Smith, Bobrovsky, Lehtonen. All these dudes plucked from the East for nothing but late picks.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:00 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
What's even more sad is we have nothing in the pipeline, there's nothing brewing in Rockford or an ace in Europe to get jacked about. This is as good as it gets unless Stan "the Man" Bowman makes a move or a signing. It seems the rest of our competition falls ass backwards into goalies, Smith, Bobrovsky, Lehtonen. All these dudes plucked from the East for nothing but late picks.
Kent Simpson
Mac Carruth

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:50 AM
H a w k s

Belfour is terrible bench him for Hackett, Hackett is terrible bench him for Thibault, Thibault sucks play Anderson, Anderson stinks bring in khabi, khabi stinks get huet, huet is awful play niemi, niemi is good but we got turco. Turco stinks play Crawford, Crawford blows play emery. By my YouTube 5 minute Wikipedia research we have who knows how many gms and goalies till we get the next jimmy Mac "who isn't good but is deified because he rode a juggernault to a title" goalie.

Last edited by H a w k s: 04-21-2013 at 04:55 AM.
H a w k s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Kent Simpson
Mac Carruth
Alex Richards, Carter Hutton.

I can name goalies in our system that won't amount to anything too.

Read the weakness line.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/chicago_blackhawks/

Old
04-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by H a w k s View Post
Belfour is terrible bench him for Hackett, Hackett is terrible bench him for Thibault, Thibault sucks play Anderson, Anderson stinks bring in khabi, khabi stinks get huet, huet is awful play niemi, niemi is good but we got turco. Turco stinks play Crawford, Crawford blows play emery. By my YouTube 5 minute Wikipedia research we have who knows how many gms and goalies till we get the next jimmy Mac "who isn't good but is deified because he rode a juggernault to a title" goalie.
You missed perhaps the most important one of them all. Belfour is mediocre, let's go with Hasek instead

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:27 AM
zytz
lumberjack

Anymore I don't think this is about who emerges as the number goalie... more like who loses the starting job the hardest.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Kaners BAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
The last two Crawford games were average. I'm not going to beat him up. We might be able to win a few playoff series with him.

After watching tonight's game and Friday's game... Emery seems to be ahead at this point if not clearly ahead.

I almost think that Q and Stan already have the decision made. And Q keeps on bluffing with....his typical "We'll See" statement.
I have never been an Emery guy but after watching the last two games, I don't think you can go with Crawford. Better hope Detroit takes the last spot because CBJs will play the Hawks ugly and have an excellent shot of winning the series. I could see the Hawks outshooting the CBJs 35-20 every game yet Columbus wins 2-1.

What was that quote that Marek had on his podcast a couple days ago? If you have a goalie that's 70% of the answer if you don't that's 100% the problem.

Kaners BAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:30 AM
Marotte Marauder

The older, slower, less athletic goalie (Emery) is the better goalie at this point. He plays better and the team plays better in front of him, all that matters at this point of the season.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Emery deserves the starter spot. He shows up without those stinkers.

Really, I'm done with Crawford as our starter

Old
04-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Kvasar

I'm a Razor fan. But I think the G position has become standardized enough over the years that the difference between good and bad NHL goalies isn't as dramatic as it used to be. Bad teams need a great goalie to have a chance to win, but good teams like the Blackhawks only need a very good goalie. The Hawks have two very good goalies, which is a nice problem to have.

Crow has an obvious physical, athletic edge, but I really like Razor from the neck up. The avascular necrosis he came back from speaks volumes about his toughness and character, and his presence and confidence are better for the team right now IMHO.

These can't be easy decisions for Q.

Kvasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:32 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Crawford has won a whooping ZERO PO series. He lets in bad goals that are back breaking more than enough.

It isn't only 1 soft goal. It was too many in the past. It's not like Roy or Brodeur who won Cups and Vezinas that let in a softie every once in a while. It's an average at best goalie that has a reputation of letting in softies and he has shown it more than once
So true. The point here is the guy has won squat in his career and although the players won't ever say it, his repeated soft goals at the worst of time are back breakers now but KILLERS come playoff time.

I'll stand on record right now and say if the hawks make any run at all it will be with the use of both goalies or with Emery taking over completely.

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote