HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 05:09 AM
Mats86

vCash: 500
It's got into Price's head now. Mental aspect of goaltending is big and pressure is so immense in Montreal. I doubt he will get it back here. Think its best for Price and the team if they trade him this summer. While the big return is there. Straight up for a Yakupov or Drouin be ideal trade. Instead of like Theodore, not seeing the writing on the wall and hang on a year too long. Then end up getting nothing for him. Meanwhile, Price, best if he went to area with less hockey pressure. He's a good goalie but unless he get over the mental aspect of the game doubt he will reach his peak.

Gainey/Gauthier wasn't known as best of management team. Traded Huet on eve of trade deadline. Price was too young, 20, takes goalies longer to round out their game. He wasn't ready. Price collapsed against the Flyers in 2008 playoffs, had a near collapse against the Bruins. Planted the seeds of doubt. Whenever the pressure gets intense those memories/fear comeback.

Collapase in '09 agaisnt the Bruins. Again in 2010, Halak took the team to conference finals. He had a good 2011 playoffs but see no pressure. Nobody was expecting us to win, nothing to lose. Boston was cup favorite that year and we barely crept into playoffs. Now, this year when looked like we would win, Price is collapsing again.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
Aside from the 5-1 leafs loss Price hasn't been the problem. Our D is shredded Swiss cheese.
He's hasn't been great but he's not the problem. If people can't see that he's gonna be around for a while then you're out of your minds. He needs a real Defence in front of him.
Those first 2 goals were routine saves. He's got to make those saves. Team was behind 8-ball early.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:15 AM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Those first 2 goals were routine saves. He's got to make those saves. Team was behind 8-ball early.
To be fair, I had to work tonight and Didn't see the game. He has to be better for sure, but his turnaround would come so much easier if he has support. From a long-term perspective I ahve all my faith in Carey to be a #1. Whether he proves to be Elite is just icing on the cake. He's our horse, let's ride. Give him the Defence to support him and he'll be fine.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:24 AM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Pretty much what StellarEller said, Price is to blame but not entirely. Our D is just as bad as our goalies are imo...fix the D and the goalies will surely start to deliver.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:47 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I see a Jose Theodore end for him in Montreal. Except Price never won the Hart and Vezina.
I doubt Price goes drinking with the Hell's Angels or that his father is a loan shark.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:40 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
How about this trade proposition:

To Montreal
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Jeff Petry

To Edmonton
Carey Price

To Montreal
Jonathan Bernier

To Los Angeles
Dustin Tokarski
Louis Leblanc
lol in a heartbeat, but the other teams wouldn't.

Dubnyk has been pretty great this year.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:56 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He's a great goalie in a bad stretch.
Please don't use the word GREAT to describe CP. Good is much better.
25 shots yesterday- 5 goals

Compare

Leafs- 50 shots/ 1 goal

And yet people are blaming our D for Carey's woes. I guess you guys want all shots to be easy. If not easy, you blame the D. SMH

Old
04-21-2013, 07:12 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Please don't use the word GREAT to describe CP. Good is much better.
25 shots yesterday- 5 goals

Compare

Leafs- 50 shots/ 1 goal

And yet people are blaming our D for Carey's woes. I guess you guys want all shots to be easy. If not easy, you blame the D. SMH
you know you're comparing two netminders who, up to last week, had pretty much the same stats... right ?

Old
04-21-2013, 07:25 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you know you're comparing two netminders who, up to last week, had pretty much the same stats... right ?
The fact that we are comparing Price to Reimer is an issue. The D and the team has been bad but so as he. Hes making the big bucks now and hes 25, he needs to perform. We are starting to run out of excuses...

Old
04-21-2013, 07:41 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Career, or season?

Reimer had a .922 sv% going into last night, while Price had a .908 sv%.

Pretty sure Reimer has been over .920 for awhile now, while Price has been hovering around .912.

However, it doesn't matter. Price can be fantastic but he's for to be more consistent. The .905 sv% would be okay if he could post that consistently rather than the sub .900 stats he's been posting for nearly 7 weeks.

Price's season started going downhill at the beginning of March. In the last 7 weeks, Price has posted an .891 SV%. Bad defense or not, that's not NHL caliber goaltending.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The way Price is playing now, he is untradeable anyway.
You really believe this?

Old
04-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
It's got into Price's head now. Mental aspect of goaltending is big and pressure is so immense in Montreal. I doubt he will get it back here. Think its best for Price and the team if they trade him this summer. While the big return is there. Straight up for a Yakupov or Drouin be ideal trade. Instead of like Theodore, not seeing the writing on the wall and hang on a year too long. Then end up getting nothing for him. Meanwhile, Price, best if he went to area with less hockey pressure. He's a good goalie but unless he get over the mental aspect of the game doubt he will reach his peak.

Gainey/Gauthier wasn't known as best of management team. Traded Huet on eve of trade deadline. Price was too young, 20, takes goalies longer to round out their game. He wasn't ready. Price collapsed against the Flyers in 2008 playoffs, had a near collapse against the Bruins. Planted the seeds of doubt. Whenever the pressure gets intense those memories/fear comeback.

Collapase in '09 agaisnt the Bruins. Again in 2010, Halak took the team to conference finals. He had a good 2011 playoffs but see no pressure. Nobody was expecting us to win, nothing to lose. Boston was cup favorite that year and we barely crept into playoffs. Now, this year when looked like we would win, Price is collapsing again.
I don`t think he is the first goalie to go in s slump for a couple weeks.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Career, or season?

Reimer had a .922 sv% going into last night, while Price had a .908 sv%.

Pretty sure Reimer has been over .920 for awhile now, while Price has been hovering around .912.
Until 5 games ago they had pretty much the exact save save PCT. (I believe Price was .002 below Reimer before the Habs had their terrible, defenseless stretch)

A 5 game slump can muddy the stats, but that being said Price does have to be better.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:56 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
You really believe this?
He has a 6.5 million dollar contract.

Let me put utilities this way, we're not getting a spectacular package like we did for Halak.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:58 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Until 5 games ago they had pretty much the exact save save PCT. (I believe Price was .002 below Reimer before the Habs had their terrible, defenseless stretch)

A 5 game slump can muddy the stats, but that being said Price does have to be better.
Since when did these last 5 games become less significant than the first 5 games?
IMO they are more important.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:02 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:

Let me put utilities this way, we're not getting a spectacular package like we did for Halak.
I guess some here think for 6.5 mill CP should just make saves with no screens and from shots 100 ft away.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:03 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:

Yeah, they can definitely muddy his stats a little (a bad start for Reimer hurt his stats even more though since he's played about 1/5 less of the season than Carey), but his save percentage, minus the last 5 games since the start of March (7 weeks) is .906. With the last 5 starts, it's .891.

Something is up with him. Be it a lack of confidence, an injury, whatever. He needs to figure it out soon because when our best player is as bad as he's been, the rest of the team is horrible. When he plays passable or better, the team improves.

If Therrien had any clue, he'd be focusing on defense first right now to try and help up Price's confidence. He seems more like the "things will fall into place" kind of coach though.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Teams would line up to trade for him.

He's played like crap for a few games, he hasn't suddenly turned into Scott Gomez. Come on man...

Old
04-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:

Wow... This place sometimes... Teams go through bad stretches. As do players. So much knee-jerk, unrational posts in here. Price will be fine. I think your expectations of him have always been too high. IMO he's and above average goalie but not an elite goalie, but still, he'll bounce back and be better.

Wow though, the overdramatic reactions in here

Old
04-21-2013, 08:58 AM
onice

Quote:
Quote:

So the implied message in both your posts is that Price=Reimer.

Blaming solely the Habs defense is as ridiculous as blaming solely Price. It has been a team effort.

But posters coming on the forum and still insisting that Price is great or elite is all the more ridiculous. Over his career Price has shown himself to be a good goaltender. He has still not shown himself to be either great or elite.

It's a little frightening that Price has similar stats to Reimer considering that most people don't see him as elite and until a few weeks ago many experts had trouble seeing him as #1 goaltender.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:02 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Teams would line up to trade for him.

He's played like crap for a few games, he hasn't suddenly turned into Scott Gomez. Come on man...
I did not say he had turned into gomez.

In order to trade gomez, we would have had to package him with first rounder.

In the case of price, we can forget about getting what we put in.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:03 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:

The package we got for Halak wasn't that spectacular. Many experts believe that if he was offered to all 29 teams, we would've gotten more than just Eller and Shultz. CP would definitely fetch a 1st and a top 6 or a top prospect.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:04 AM
E = CH²

Personally, I always try to see if a player has a linear progression until he reaches his peak. Does the player keep improving from year to year ? If he doesn't, is there a legit excuse for it ?

Since Price has stepped into the league, it doesn't feel like he's improving. If anything, bad habits have crept up into his game. I see regression, not maturity. What made him so promising in his first few seasons is not there anymore. Is it lack of fire ? Is it his passive nature ? Is it because he was lazy and didn't train since he got that big contract ? Was he rushed ?

But if you look at a guy like Quick, he was improving the last 3 seasons. This season he's struggling but I think this one is excusable because of the injury he suffered, the big contract, winning the cup on top of the lockout... the down year is easy to explain. On the other hand, Price has no reason to be as bad as Quick is this season. And he has not improved linearly since he got into the league. It's been a roller coaster.

I actually wonder if Price is not one of those athletes who can be precocious but doesn't necessarily have a high ceiling. Some guys just don't have another gear in them and they never meet expectations. I'm not saying this is the case for Price, I don't know. Goalies are just impossible to predict for the most part. They are a gigantic crap shoot and take so long to mature, which is why I'd never use a high first round pick on one. Unless the player was truly phenomenal, not like MAF, Price, Dipietro, Lehtonen, etc. It's been 8 years since we've drafted Price and we've gotten 1 stellar starter season out of him, 2 mediocre seasons, 2 crappy ones. And we actually got lucky and rushed the guy. In the meantime, Kings have gotten a lot more out of Kopitar. Also some other teams have got their goalie without having to use high first round picks. I think you won't see goalies getting drafted this high again unless they are truly phenomenal.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:06 AM
Rickkins

Trade him for sure, while we still can. He will always let us down when it counts the most. He always has, an I don't see that changing. Maybe he'll do better elsewhere. He deserves a chance to see if that's true, and we deserve a chance to move forward with someone else.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
So the implied message in both your posts is that Price=Reimer.
Uhm...no.

I was just clearing up some stats. No where did I even come close to making that comparison.

Closed Thread