HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Agree 100%. I don't even want that guy in the NHL.... Those videos are ridiculous. He's worse then Cooke used to be or even Avery.

Ridiculous.

Based on what? A couple of random videos I posted? FYI Yashin was hacking and slashing away on Avangard's goalie during that game and Belov got sick of it so he pounded the living daylight out of him. I like that much better than O'Brien fake bravado where he gets into someone's face and then hides behind the ref. Watch him play before you start spewing up nonsense.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post

Based on what? A couple of random videos I posted? FYI Yashin was hacking and slashing away on Avangard's goalie during that game and Belov got sick of it so he pounded the living daylight out of him. I like that much better than O'Brien fake bravado where he gets into someone's face and then hides behind the ref. Watch him play before you start spewing up nonsense.
Wow, never seen a guy get so defensive, its quite sad...

You said it yourself that the guy has a mean streak. If he were likely to be public enemy #1 in the league right now(Your words) then given your clear passion for him its likely more then just a mean streak and he would be as bad if not worse then Cooke/Avery were.

Getting into a fight for your goalie is one thing, beating the crap out of a guy when he is already down on the ice(Which he did in BOTH videos) is simply wrong.

He's a head case who could go off at any point. I don't want that on the team, or in the NHL.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Rather just bring Downie back next season and let him chirp some people. Defense isn't a position you should be intentionally putting yourself in the box from, because you only have six guys so if you're in the box now there's only five. Makes penalty killing more difficult on teams when a defender is in the box.
Belov has 205 PIM's in 227 career games in the KHL, he's not a bad penalty machine in any way, shape or form. The team that gets him will get a top 4 PMD who brings a nasty physical edge without taking dumb penalties.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
Wow, never seen a guy get so defensive, its quite sad...

You said it yourself that the guy has a mean streak. If he were likely to be public enemy #1 in the league right now(Your words) then given your clear passion for him its likely more then just a mean streak and he would be as bad if not worse then Cooke/Avery were.

Getting into a fight for your goalie is one thing, beating the crap out of a guy when he is already down on the ice(Which he did in BOTH videos) is simply wrong.

He's a head case who could go off at any point. I don't want that on the team, or in the NHL.
You realize that having a mean streak is a good thing when it comes to big defenseman? I don't see anyone think any less of Larry Robinson, Chris Pronger (who makes Belov look like a choir boy), Denis Potvin, Chelios, Chara etc because of the way they played the game. He would be public enemy #1 because he is know for crossing the line on ocassion, he plays a physicall game and chirps a lot, but he never did someone in like Cooke. Also he's loved among his teammates (hence the A on his jeresey) and he's pretty talented as well.

It's pretty damn obvious you decided he's Cooke 2.0 based on one video and that's the only sad thing in this whole argument.

Old
04-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Avs71

I'd gladly take a player like Belov, if he is capable of being a top 4 defender. Guys like him intimidate other players.

You can't say he is an Avery because of two videos. Guaranteed everyone here would be calling him a hero if he jumped someone like he did Yashin after they gave Varly a chop. Or if it was him who jumped Stuart after the Landeskog hit, hung him out, and then smoked him.

This team could use a little more arrogance and pugnacity.

The Avs aren't tough. Landeskog isn't a fighter, nor should he be relied on to be tough. McGinn rarely does, McLeod is a grappler, O'Brien never fights, the only guy who is intimidating is Bordeleau, and he only plays 4 minutes a night. Downie will fight anyone, but that's more like the rage of a child. He is too little to seriously be the guy to make the Avs "tough."

Old
04-20-2013, 05:13 PM
MikeC

Quote:
The more I think about it the more I want the Avs to try to bring in Anton Belov, I'm a big fan of his. For those who aren't familiar with him, he's a big PMD with a serious mean streak and he's known for doing stuff that would make him the public enemy #1 if he was in the NHL right now.
I would love to have that guy in my team. From what I read about him, he is able to make our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I don't want that guy on the Avs. He's got cheap shot and head case written all over him. Like the Russian Sean Avery or something.
When i was leaving in Quebec City, I had the chance to see Dale Hunter play and i would bet one of my testicules that if a guy like him was playing for the Avs, you would be the first one to buy is Jersey.

Quote:
Yashin wasn't innocent in that whole story, so don't jump to conclussions and Belov is nothing like Avery, he's more like Yemelin and I bet you'd love Yemelin if he was on the Avs.

People forget this team had the likes of Dale Hunter, Lemieux, Kasparaitis (who's actually a decent comparable for Belov in terms of his physical play and agitating nature), Barnaby etc. We need a guy like that to repalce the stiffs on our backend.
I don't know where you are from Ivan but you sound like a guy from the Q since you often talk about players playing for the Habs.

Is Emilin the kind of player I want in my team...hell yea!!!

Markov with Emelin and Markov without Emelin is not the same player.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Nihiliste

I hardly see any KHL games but I'm all for trying to bring in talent via whatever route you can. Sure it may be a waste at times (Lindstrom), but when you're hurting for talent it's a small risk. Brunner seems to have been a decent pickup for Detroit.

As for Belov's mean streak, I had very little problem with guys like Claude Lemieux and I'm all for guys that play on the edge, as long as they're not out trying to intentionally injure other guys.

Old
04-20-2013, 05:45 PM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

Quote:
Belov has 205 PIM's in 227 career games in the KHL, he's not a bad penalty machine in any way, shape or form. The team that gets him will get a top 4 PMD who brings a nasty physical edge without taking dumb penalties.
Yeah, I'd love to grab him, but unless Varly knows the guy and convinces the team to get him he won't be an Av.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:43 PM
henchman24
If and if...

I'd pass on Belov. Very dirty player. I don't mind a chippy and gritty player who is on that edge of dirty like Downie (at least of late, early in his career he was flat out dirty), but I don't want a player who is on the otherside of the line like Belov or Matt Cooke.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:48 PM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

He crosses the line, but I really don't think he's too much worse about it than Downie, he's just not a midget so it looks more vicious when he does cross the line.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:53 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
He crosses the line, but I really don't think he's too much worse about it than Downie, he's just not a midget so it looks more vicious when he does cross the line.
From what I understand stuff like this isn't infrequent.

Old
04-20-2013, 06:57 PM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

That's totally no worse than Downie, he's just big and strong enough to knock dudes around when he does it. Plus if that's your complaint we just totally disagree on what this D could use, that's the type of thing that makes me like him more...at least up until the kick, that was excessive, but that's not the part of that clip that happens often

Old
04-20-2013, 07:07 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
That's totally no worse than Downie, he's just big and strong enough to knock dudes around when he does it. Plus if that's your complaint we just totally disagree on what this D could use, that's the type of thing that makes me like him more...at least up until the kick, that was excessive, but that's not the part of that clip that happens often
Downie has cleaned up his act since late ~2010. I'll agree before that he was really dirty.

Not a single problem with anything until the kick, but this was the second kick related incident that he had. Then he frequently jumps into hits and goes for headshots. I'm okay with people wanting him, but saying he is not a dirty player is total BS. Belov would be top 2 or 3 in the league right now.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:06 PM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

Look I said from the beginning that the man does cross the line like when he jumps into hits like that. But it's not so common that he'd be the new Avery anything. He'd be one of many guys who make dirty plays, and I'm fine with adding some of that considering as a team we don't have anybody who walks that line other than tiny Steve Downie and our 4th line goon Bordy.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:15 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Look I said from the beginning that the man does cross the line like when he jumps into hits like that. But it's not so common that he'd be the new Avery anything. He'd be one of many guys who make dirty plays, and I'm fine with adding some of that considering as a team we don't have anybody who walks that line other than tiny Steve Downie and our 4th line goon Bordy.
I'd say McLeod does as well. I really don't see a need for a guy like Belov when he will be a 5/6 in the NHL and goon it up from time to time. The Avs really have enough sandpaper as a team IMO.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:36 PM
avsfan09

I wonder what it would take to pry Cowen out of Ottawa? I know they had interest in O'reilly last season I wonder if they could work out something along the lines of:

O'reilly+

for

Cowen+Silvferberg/Zibanejad

Gives us a decent partner for EJ and a decent top winger. I have a feeling we won't be in position to draft Jones and end up with Mackinnon.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:42 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
I wonder what it would take to pry Cowen out of Ottawa? I know they had interest in O'reilly last season I wonder if they could work out something along the lines of:

O'reilly+

for

Cowen+Silvferberg/Zibanejad

Gives us a decent partner for EJ and a decent top winger. I have a feeling we won't be in position to draft Jones and end up with Mackinnon.
I'd much rather add to Stastny and trade him for Yandle, if that's what we need to do. Also I don't think they'd give up Cowen plus one of those guys for O'Reilly.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
In the AHL

vCash: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
From what I understand stuff like this isn't infrequent.

okay that crosses a line with me, any guy who kicks a downed player much less a teenager, is a pos, if i saw that as a teammate of that downed player i'd hop the bench.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:48 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I'd much rather add to Stastny and trade him for Yandle, if that's what we need to do. Also I don't think they'd give up Cowen plus one of those guys for O'Reilly.
I don't mind trading Stastny but I really think Yandle is over-rated. He's an offensive guy that's quite prone to mistakes. I'd rather over-pay for a guy like Cowen who provide's a more all around game with alot of potential.

I don't think so either hence why I put a plus in my proposal.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:49 PM
cgf
Un-fire Roy

Quote:
I'd say McLeod does as well. I really don't see a need for a guy like Belov when he will be a 5/6 in the NHL and goon it up from time to time. The Avs really have enough sandpaper as a team IMO.
Because unlike our other goonier defensemen he's the only one who could be a top 4 dman in the NHL.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:54 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Because unlike our other goonier defensemen he's the only one who could be a top 4 dman in the NHL.
I really don't think that he can be a top 4 in the NHL.

Even if people think he can, lets just say he will need to transition to smaller ice for a year and probably won't play up to capability. Then in 14-15 Siemens might be ready, who plays mean but isn't dirty and IMO has much higher upside. It would be much better for the Avs to sign a top 4 NHL veteran who knows what it takes to win in the playoffs even if it costs more.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:40 AM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
So would everyone but I'm in the camp that thinks Stastny no longer holds much value. 1 year remaining, poor production for 2.5 years and a big caphit. No reason for him to agree to terms beforehand with a team either since he will earn a lot as a UFA unless its a perfect situation for him.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
I would love to have that guy in my team. From what I read about him, he is able to make our team.

When i was leaving in Quebec City, I had the chance to see Dale Hunter play and i would bet one of my testicules that if a guy like him was playing for the Avs, you would be the first one to buy is Jersey.

I don't know where you are from Ivan but you sound like a guy from the Q since you often talk about players playing for the Habs.

Is Emilin the kind of player I want in my team...hell yea!!!

Markov with Emelin and Markov without Emelin is not the same player.
I wish . Don't get me wrong I love Croatia, Zagreb and Samobor (where I live), but the chance to live in a hockey mad area like "La belle province" would be amazing. And the reason I talk about the Habs is because I'm a fan of theirs just as I'm a fan of the Avs.

Quote:
I really don't think that he can be a top 4 in the NHL.

Even if people think he can, lets just say he will need to transition to smaller ice for a year and probably won't play up to capability. Then in 14-15 Siemens might be ready, who plays mean but isn't dirty and IMO has much higher upside. It would be much better for the Avs to sign a top 4 NHL veteran who knows what it takes to win in the playoffs even if it costs more.
I respectfully disagree with that, I watched him play a lot over the years and this past season he took a giant step forward (both in terms of actual play and toning down his occasional idiocy). I know people were down on Yemelin when he got here and no one saw him being more than a #5 d-man and look how he played this year (sure playing with the General helps), plus CH's defense looks like crap since he got hurt. And when compairing the two Belov to me looks like a slightly better player, he's better with the puck on his stick, he reads the game better on the offensive side of the things, Yemelin is better in his own end and when it comes to hitting, the reason for that being that he picks his spots better and doesn't go out of his way for a big hit which is someting you could see Belov do from time to time, but not so often that it would be a big slight against him. They both have good booming slapshots and can be used as triggermen on the PP.

As for the depth thing on our defense, he would be a valuable addition and he would present a small risk all things considered, having Duncan (who's most likely two years away from being able to play in the top 4) shouldn't be a reason to stay away from Belov especially since the two of them don't play the same way.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that to me he was the best defenseman on the team (Avangard got the 2nd seed in the East) throughout the season and he looked a lot better than Nikita Nikitin in the games I saw when they were playing together on the team.

Last edited by Ivan13: 04-21-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old
04-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Avs71

Wow, that kicking clip makes him look like an absolute psycho. I wonder how if he would do the same in the NHL. I don't know what fighting is like in the KHL, but a no name like him, at his size, doing things like kicking players will have him ending up fighting guys like Rupp, Reaves, etc. Maybe a couple beat downs and he dials it back a bit. I think suspensions would hold him out for a few games too.

Still an interesting player, especially if he can be better than Nikitin.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
So would everyone but I'm in the camp that thinks Stastny no longer holds much value. 1 year remaining, poor production for 2.5 years and a big caphit. No reason for him to agree to terms beforehand with a team either since he will earn a lot as a UFA unless its a perfect situation for him.
Yeah, any trade with St Louis would have to involve us taking on half his salary next year and working out a favorable contract extension ahead of time, like at $4.5M. Under those conditions I could see a trade with St Louis working out. Stastny might be willing to forgo UFA to re-sign in his hometown.

Closed Thread