HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2013 IIHF U18 World Championship in Sochi, Russia (April 18-28)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
  #176
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 11,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
It's hard to say why the team sucks as much as it does, as well... this isn't our best year but also not the worst one, there are players that can play better than 0:14 in two games vs Finland and Czech Republic. Ok, I'd understand Finland as they have a good team, maybe we didn't play our best or whatever but the performance was even worse against Czech Republic....

I dunno what they're preparing for, maybe already for best of 2 in the relegation vs whoever comes out from the other group. It's no surprise that I didn't expect any point from games vs Czechs, Finns, USA, Russia but at least last year we had 1-6 vs RUS, 1-3 vs SWE (and the third goal on empty net) and 4-7 to Czechs in an entertaining game (not to mention we won GER and SWI). Ok, 1994 is definitely a more talented year than 1995 but still the team shouldn't stink so bad...

In any case, as was said, it doesn't matter cause aside from 3-4 guys there won't be big future in hockey for these kids. Maybe if they see this level of hockey they'll understand what they should strive for and will work harder. Those who play in MHL (like 4.5 players on the team) want to compete but the team is dragging them down, for some on this team making it to Sochi is already an accomplishment and maybe the pinnacle of their hockey carrer.
u mean mhl-a, right? because I thought everyone plays in the MHL, the whole team is Lieapaya/Riga/Prizma?

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:01 AM
  #177
Latgale_fan
Registered User
 
Latgale_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
u mean mhl-a, right? because I thought everyone plays in the MHL, the whole team is Lieapaya/Riga/Prizma?
Yeah, I thought the top division since ''pervenstvo'' isn't that high level hockey anyway. Though there are some kids not from MHL, like Egle who's from EJHL and 2-3 other people from lower American leagues who maybe shouldn't have been brought there (ekhm, Šmits)

Though Aimas Fiscevas from Baltika in MHL B recently scored 6 goals +2 assists in Division IB championship game vs Estonia. That probably says more about the level of hockey in lower level Division IB than about the guys's talent.

There are some kids who have potential in this team, like Bukarts and Golovkovs who were among leaders in HK Riga and Maslovskis who joined later on but managed to get 12 points in 20 games and 2 points in 3 play-off games, Homjakovs was the scoring leader of Liepāja in MHL B, Egle probably the most talented U17 player in EJHL and should move higher in North American hockey hierarchy next year. Therefore the 0s in the attack puzzle me as top 6 forwards shouldn't be that bad for this level, even if defense/goalie sucks... at least a goal per game would be nice.


Last edited by Latgale_fan: 04-21-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:06 AM
  #178
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
It's hard to say why the team sucks as much as it does, as well... this isn't our best year but also not the worst one, there are players that can play better than 0:14 in two games vs Finland and Czech Republic. Ok, I'd understand Finland as they have a good team, maybe we didn't play our best or whatever but the performance was even worse against Czech Republic....

I dunno what they're preparing for, maybe already for best of 2 in the relegation vs whoever comes out from the other group. It's no surprise that I didn't expect any point from games vs Czechs, Finns, USA, Russia but at least last year we had 1-6 vs RUS, 1-3 vs SWE (and the third goal on empty net) and 4-7 to Czechs in an entertaining game (not to mention we won GER and SWI). Ok, 1994 is definitely a more talented year than 1995 but still the team shouldn't stink so bad...

In any case, as was said, it doesn't matter cause aside from 3-4 guys there won't be big future in hockey for these kids. Maybe if they see this level of hockey they'll understand what they should strive for and will work harder. Those who play in MHL (like 4.5 players on the team) want to compete but the team is dragging them down, for some on this team making it to Sochi is already an accomplishment and maybe the pinnacle of their hockey carrer.
Egle,Bukarts and Golovkovs,thats it, everyone else will be lucky to get to play in some finnish 2 league or whatever.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:14 AM
  #179
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
I have to disagree with you Latgale Fan 95 is really bad for us, 94,96 are better imo.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
  #180
Latgale_fan
Registered User
 
Latgale_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
I have to disagree with you Latgale Fan 95 is really bad for us, 94,96 are better imo.
Honestly it isn't as bad as people paint it to be (comparing to 94 that won some games last year and has Girgensons and 96 that at the age of U16 beat Slovaks and some ragtag Canadian squad). Granted U17 this year lost to Russia only 2:3 in European Youth Olympics but also lost to Swiss 1:5 or whatever...

But this U18 team isn't as bad as it was played first two games.

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:22 AM
  #181
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Honestly it isn't as bad as people paint it to be (comparing to 94 that won some games last year and has Girgensons and 96 that at the age of U16 beat Slovaks and some ragtag Canadian squad). Granted U17 this year lost to Russia only 2:3 in European Youth Olympics but also lost to Swiss 1:5 or whatever...

But this U18 team isn't as bad as it was played first two games.
Well atleast we scored. Only players that stand out for us are Golovkovs,Bukarts and Egle,as usual.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:26 AM
  #182
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Also Its hilarious that Bukarts plays on PK,but whats interesting about him is not only is he really talented,he`s actually pretty physical,hes one of the rare ones who made some decent hits despite his size.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:18 AM
  #183
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 4,180
vCash: 500
Since when has fast hockey only done USA games and make you pay for them?

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:32 AM
  #184
Latgale_fan
Registered User
 
Latgale_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Well atleast we scored. Only players that stand out for us are Golovkovs,Bukarts and Egle,as usual.
This was a good game for our team, honestly they can't really do better vs such an opposition. Last time we played USA it was 2007 and we lost 0:8 with 59 shots on our goal. This is a good, normal result for Latvia vs a team like USA, 0:7 vs Finns and more so Czechs (with 15 shots on goal) shouldn't be.

Anyway, as you said- these are the players that should and are standing out. Bukarts and Egle are among the few who have decent weight/muscle for their height. It is really difficult to say what would be better for these kids- to play in Division IA vs Denmark, Norway, Belarus maybe and be happy about wins (cause the team has won vs any of Division IA rivals, Belarus played 3 times against this team and collected total goal difference 2:16!!! but the gap between us and Denmark that has about the same strength team probably and won Division IA this year vs USA, Russia etc. is just mind boggling)

But hope the team progresses more, has a good game vs Russia (with a goal scored or two), let's say not letting in more than the usual 7 and then prepare to play against a team we should have a chance at beating in relegation.

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:36 PM
  #185
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,646
vCash: 500
I'm really surprised how poor the US has been defensively thus far in the tournament. The sloppy passes, bad pinches and poor reads have lead to more odd man rushes than I've ever seen against an NTDP team. Demko hasn't been great in goal but he's been hung out to dry constantly. I think a lot of the guys on the US defensive core are trying to do too much and just not using their heads. If they can't sort things out they're going to have a hard time against stronger opponents in the elimination games. I'm definitely quite worried about the game against Finland on Tuesday.


Last edited by cagney: 04-21-2013 at 09:34 PM.
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:27 PM
  #186
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
This was a good game for our team, honestly they can't really do better vs such an opposition. Last time we played USA it was 2007 and we lost 0:8 with 59 shots on our goal. This is a good, normal result for Latvia vs a team like USA, 0:7 vs Finns and more so Czechs (with 15 shots on goal) shouldn't be.

Anyway, as you said- these are the players that should and are standing out. Bukarts and Egle are among the few who have decent weight/muscle for their height. It is really difficult to say what would be better for these kids- to play in Division IA vs Denmark, Norway, Belarus maybe and be happy about wins (cause the team has won vs any of Division IA rivals, Belarus played 3 times against this team and collected total goal difference 2:16!!! but the gap between us and Denmark that has about the same strength team probably and won Division IA this year vs USA, Russia etc. is just mind boggling)

But hope the team progresses more, has a good game vs Russia (with a goal scored or two), let's say not letting in more than the usual 7 and then prepare to play against a team we should have a chance at beating in relegation.
Well, if we manage not to relegate, next year it should be alot better with 96`s comming in who are IMO way more talented than 95.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
  #187
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Since when has fast hockey only done USA games and make you pay for them?
You're not missing anything. Their camera angles were really terrible, and their camera man can't keep up with the action, so you miss much of the play. Not worth it, IMO.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
  #188
Felix Perreault
Registered User
 
Felix Perreault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mt-Tremblant, Canada
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
All the game of the group A are on onhockey.ru .... So it's nice i've watch Russia's game, USA's game and others, buI can't watch Sweden, Slovakia and Canada! ..

Anyone know a site for Group B ?

Felix Perreault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:16 AM
  #189
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil11 View Post
All the game of the group A are on onhockey.ru .... So it's nice i've watch Russia's game, USA's game and others, buI can't watch Sweden, Slovakia and Canada! ..

Anyone know a site for Group B ?
I think TSN will broadcast Canada-Sweden tomorrow, so there should be a stream out there for that game.

Sweden-Slovakia is archieved here http://bambuser.com/channel/TopHockeySweden The game starts with the clip that is 29:12 long, that's the whole first period, after that it's cut into smaller pieces but it's the full game.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
  #190
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,585
vCash: 500
De la Rose dodged a bullet, won't be suspended for his head check and match penalty yesterday.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:53 AM
  #191
edd1e
Registered User
 
edd1e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
The stakes are high on USA - Finland game.. Winner gets Germany and loser gets Canada/Sweden :0

Lets go Finland

edd1e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:17 AM
  #192
Maverick41
Registered User
 
Maverick41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,366
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
The stakes are high on USA - Finland game.. Winner gets Germany and loser gets Canada/Sweden :0

Lets go Finland
How so? I guess they could get Switzerland instead. In fact I think that would be the more likely scenario.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:48 AM
  #193
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 8,041
vCash: 500
Not sure what's the need to close GDT as soon as the new one is open, but since it's what happened to the one for the 5th day, i'll reply here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17
It does not contradict anything. Button's recent lists have yet to be vindicated or disproven, since these players for the majority aren't established yet. Also comparing Button and his lists to other agencies is worthless ; the only rankings that matter are the rankings NHL teams have.
how so?

What i was hinting at, was that he had some controversial (for HF readers) lists earlier this year and last year that actually called for what turned out to be the consensus at the end of the draft year.
He was for example the first one to be right about Brodin (albeit he should have gone even higher, but at least ..) as he had him at #10 earlier than any other public lists (most had him around 20 even in June).

Quote:
Button will have some misses and some hits. He's not bad at what he does, even though he gets caught up in rhetoric, feel good stories and rambling too much.
Oh, that was my point, so we agree (on the unbolded part as well).

Quote:
Judgements on a body of work are made when A) we have a large sample B) that body of work can be accurately assessed. Constantly amazed that HFboard members never seem to grasp either.
not sure how this applied here.

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 10:40 AM
  #194
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil11 View Post
All the game of the group A are on onhockey.ru .... So it's nice i've watch Russia's game, USA's game and others, buI can't watch Sweden, Slovakia and Canada! ..

Anyone know a site for Group B ?
IMO, the onhockey.ru stream has been really good. A little bit of a slide show yesterday in the second and third periods, but overall, I'm happy about it.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.