HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-19-2013, 09:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
An astute manager is going to find a way to discern that information either from the GM in question, other GM's, or other players any of whom CAN talk to their NHL brethren.

I can't imagine there isn't regular dialogue going back and forth between all players on what its like playing somewhere and "hey, hop on this train". Yep, we know it does happen and regularly and isn't considered tampering. Not asking around and not beating the carpet for clues is naive, plain lazy, and yields awful results.
If only it were that simple, even when you do all of that you can still end up with an Erik Cole or Chris Pronger.

How about the isles, neither Nabby or Lubo wanted to play for them but they seem to working.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If only it were that simple, even when you do all of that you can still end up with an Erik Cole or Chris Pronger.

How about the isles, neither Nabby or Lubo wanted to play for them but they seem to working.
What should scare anybody is we now have 3 GM's who can't discern Chris Pronger being an unlikely longterm fit.

That one was patently obvious to anybody that had listened to blowhard NHLPA Chris Pronger bloat on about just closing out the NHL markets that are having a toughtime. Curiously (very) he ends up being an Oiler. In the gulag. Got out of it soon as he could.

Chris Pronger was the WRONG dream for this org.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:35 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
What should scare anybody is we now have 3 GM's who can't discern Chris Pronger being an unlikely longterm fit.

That one was patently obvious to anybody that had listened to blowhard NHLPA Chris Pronger bloat on about just closing out the NHL markets that are having a toughtime. Curiously (very) he ends up being an Oiler. In the gulag. Got out of it soon as he could.

Curiously? Well, he was the highest paid defenseman coming out of the lockout.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Curiously? Well, he was the highest paid defenseman coming out of the lockout.
He was the best D as well.

Not my point.

It was quite clear always that this was a weird landing point for Chris Pronger and that he was unlikely to be content here for long. Chris and Lauren not being Edmonton types either.

Not after the fact thinking either on my part. I questioned this at the time. Here on the board. The same Chris pronger saying weak ass canadian markets like ours that were having trouble pre lockout should just up and fold was now signed here..

That match was one for the twilight zone from the start.

But I remember reading. "oh, hell be happy in hockey heartland" type denial from org, fans, and the paid wags.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Master Lok

For everyone mouthing that Tambellini wasn't in control and that Lowe was the puppetmaster.... something just doesn't add up.

The player transactions since 2008, when Tambellini arrived have been steadily more and more... unLowe-like. Kevin Lowe, as GM, was the chaos manager, "expect the unexpected" and he would go after big fish like Heatley, or signed offer sheets on Penner and Vanek.

Nothing like that has happened. Tambellini has been nicknamed "mr. dithers" because of a lack of BIG transactions. Even for a team that is going through a rebuild, they can make big moves like trading for an extra top five draft pick (ala Sedins by Brian Burke), something that I could see Kevin Lowe doing.

But again, nothing. Just a bunch of 3rd and 4th line signings. Its why I really disbelieve the conspiracy theory that Kevin Lowe is actually in charge of the GM duties. If he was, can you imagine the red-faced, passionate blustery man who was at the press conference this week being the man to sign Eric Belanger, Cam Barker, Nik Khabibulin, Ben Eager, trading for Mike Brown, Andy Sutton etc. as the major moves of his tenure?

I just can't see it. The GM of the Oilers the past four years, has truly been Mr. Dithers, Steve Tambellini.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
For everyone mouthing that Tambellini wasn't in control and that Lowe was the puppetmaster.... something just doesn't add up.

The player transactions since 2008, when Tambellini arrived have been steadily more and more... unLowe-like. Kevin Lowe, as GM, was the chaos manager, "expect the unexpected" and he would go after big fish like Heatley, or signed offer sheets on Penner and Vanek.

Nothing like that has happened. Tambellini has been nicknamed "mr. dithers" because of a lack of BIG transactions. Even for a team that is going through a rebuild, they can make big moves like trading for an extra top five draft pick (ala Sedins by Brian Burke), something that I could see Kevin Lowe doing.

But again, nothing. Just a bunch of 3rd and 4th line signings. Its why I really disbelieve the conspiracy theory that Kevin Lowe is actually in charge of the GM duties. If he was, can you imagine the red-faced, passionate blustery man who was at the press conference this week being the man to sign Eric Belanger, Cam Barker, Nik Khabibulin, Ben Eager, trading for Mike Brown, Andy Sutton etc. as the major moves of his tenure?

I just can't see it. The GM of the Oilers the past four years, has truly been Mr. Dithers, Steve Tambellini.
This makes a lot of sense. Lowe tried to at least make trades that impacted the team on a regular basis to make an effort. i.e. Erik Cole trade, Lubo trade, they all worked towards movements, and the optics of those moves all seemed better than the little swaps that Tambi did..

Kayen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Arpeggio

Yeah I don't think Lowe does much other than give opinions on players and staff. I don't think he would look for trades himself, and I'm positive Tambellini had the ultimate veto power over hockey moves.

That said, the MacT hire is all on Lowe, if it doesn't work he's done here, and I think he knows it.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Hockey Trades

Quote:

Pronger would have got us a cup if Roloson wasn't taken out. Anytime you can get a #1 defenseman, do it. That would be the biggest offseason acquisition this team could get. Who cares if they gave away assets.

Hockey Trades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Yeah I don't think Lowe does much other than give opinions on players and staff. I don't think he would look for trades himself, and I'm positive Tambellini had the ultimate veto power over hockey moves.

That said, the MacT hire is all on Lowe, if it doesn't work he's done here, and I think he knows it.
Lowe said he had final approval.

But I agree that trades under Tamby seemed to be his own. Lowe, for all his faults, could work the phones and seemed to find deals.

Olczyk seems to have a pretty large role in contract negotiations (economics) and since he came on board it has been, for the most part, way better than it was under Lowe.

I think Lowe was surely scaled back in area's like working phones, and contract negotiations (both of which he took personally). But he is still in charge of the management group as he reports directly to the owner. Honestly, I think MacT's job will be to handle the press, be the face of management and work the phones ( similar to Tamby, )while Howson will oversee the day to day operations. It's entirely how a business would be built and they have been operating similar to this since Katz bought the team.

It's makes their titles accurate as well- Owner, President, Senior Vice, Manager, asst Manager

The thing that bothers me is several times Tamby has barked back with confidence and was dead wrong, which would represent organizational think. When the Oilers started last year hot and slumped, he was steadfast stating the hot start was a better representation of the line-up. He was dead wrong. He also chose to roll out the same fourth line thinking that coaching would improve them. Again, dead wrong.

If Lowe (Or Katz) was entirely disagreeable in those examples, Tamby would have been fired earlier for being incompetent. He was fired, imo, because the fans were gathering with pitchforks. Lowe had to at least agree with those total miscalculations and its a bit disturbing for the future.

my 2 cents

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:59 AM
New dawn

Dave Hodge called Edmonton the City of former Champions this morning,fitting actually.

New dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post

But I agree that trades under Tamby seemed to be his own. Lowe, for all his faults, could work the phones and seemed to find deals.

Olczyk seems to have a pretty large role in contract negotiations (economics) and since he came on board it has been, for the most part, way better than it was under Lowe.

I think Lowe was surely scaled back in area's like working phones, and contract negotiations (both of which he took personally). But he is still in charge of the management group as he reports directly to the owner. Honestly, I think MacT's job will be to handle the press, be the face of management and work the phones ( similar to Tamby, )while Howson will oversee the day to day operations. It's entirely how a business would be built and they have been operating similar to this since Katz bought the team.

It's makes their titles accurate as well- Owner, President, Senior Vice, Manager, asst Manager

The thing that bothers me is several times Tamby has barked back with confidence and was dead wrong, which would represent organizational think. When the Oilers started last year hot and slumped, he was steadfast stating the hot start was a better representation of the line-up. He was dead wrong. He also chose to roll out the same fourth line thinking that coaching would improve them. Again, dead wrong.

If Lowe (Or Katz) was entirely disagreeable in those examples, Tamby would have been fired earlier for being incompetent. He was fired, imo, because the fans were gathering with pitchforks. Lowe had to at least agree with those total miscalculations and its a bit disturbing for the future.

my 2 cents
I don't think it had much to do with not working phones, as much as ST was afraid to cut ties with his players. Just look at simple things like Peckham. Refusal to put him on waivers as there might still be a player there. Whether or not there is or isn't a player left in Peckham the fact is having him sit in the PB all year serves no point.

I think there were deals out there, just like some pointed out ST couldn't make a decision soon enough.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:16 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by New dawn View Post
Dave Hodge called Edmonton the City of former Champions this morning,fitting actually.
Sure if you just care about the 2 big sports. This city as a whole does pretty good though. Curling, WHL, Baseball(when it was here), Boxing, Ringette etc...

That and City of Champions wasn't just a sports thing.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Pros and Cons

Quote:

my 2 cents
So MacT was demoted and Howson went from advisor/scouting to number 3 in charge?
Howson has the experience, and MacT was being primed for the GM role once he finished his classes. It is quite comical how MacT was in the role of SVP, and then gets the job they wanted him in.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Pros and Cons

I also wanted clarify that MacT is well suited for the GM role, I feel he will be a well respected GM. I just found it funny the Oilers hid him in a room with a box to hold all his stuff, until Lowe broke up with Tambo.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
Sure if you just care about the 2 big sports. This city as a whole does pretty good though. Curling, WHL, Baseball(when it was here), Boxing, Ringette etc...

That and City of Champions wasn't just a sports thing.
1. "City of Champions" had to do with Black Friday, not the sports teams

2. Didn't the Oil Kings just win something?

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by New dawn View Post
The best thing Hodge ever did was get fired from CBC and replace by Ron Maclean. The guy hasn't been relevant for 25 years

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:14 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Has anyone in the media contacted Tambo for his side of the story? Maybe I missed it, but he's been awfully quiet for someone recently fired from a high profile position. Especially one that was supposedly just a puppet for Lowe. We're that the case,you'd think we'd have heard more about it...

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 01:58 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Has anyone in the media contacted Tambo for his side of the story? Maybe I missed it, but he's been awfully quiet for someone recently fired from a high profile position. Especially one that was supposedly just a puppet for Lowe. We're that the case,you'd think we'd have heard more about it...
Still one string attached, he can't say anything or he won't get paid by the team. And he doesn't want to jeopardize his chances with another position with the team at a later date.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
I don't think it had much to do with not working phones, as much as ST was afraid to cut ties with his players. Just look at simple things like Peckham. Refusal to put him on waivers as there might still be a player there. Whether or not there is or isn't a player left in Peckham the fact is having him sit in the PB all year serves no point.

I think there were deals out there, just like some pointed out ST couldn't make a decision soon enough.
this. Tambo was operating under the belief that at least 10 of his assets were untouchable, even completely unproven players like Klefbom. As well, he as you point out, he hung to players far too long. Hemsky, again, not moved in time to get anything for him, then, as usual, he gets hurt. He was married to his choices.

Mact is definitely an upgrade.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Sheikyerbouti

and Dallas gets Nill.....

Thanks for looking at available options KLowe!

I'm choked that Nill was open to leaving the wings and we missed it

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Seachd

Quote:

Let's be fair - we have no idea how many options Lowe looked at or didn't, unless I missed something.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:07 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Let's be fair - we have no idea how many options Lowe looked at or didn't, unless I missed something.
"@TSNRyanRishaug: 1. Couple thoughts on today. Kevin didn’t interview any other candidates, just gave Craig the job. Tough optics in this situation……"

We don't know if he actually made any calls but he certainly didn't interview anyone

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
"@TSNRyanRishaug: 1. Couple thoughts on today. Kevin didn’t interview any other candidates, just gave Craig the job. Tough optics in this situation……"

We don't know if he actually made any calls but he certainly didn't interview anyone
So if that included a call to Jim Nill, would that make anyone happier?

Just saying it's very easy to jump to conclusions without knowing the facts.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Lowe didn't look at all, nor did he when he hired Tambo in about a week of looking.

Mact was hired a year ago with the express purpose of giving him the GM job, the organization never had any intention of looking at any candidates for the position.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:

did that just happen? good grief. this makes KLowe look even more incompetent than he already looked.

way to go, Mr. 6 cups. Oilers management, sleeping at the wheel yet again.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote