HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Anyone hear of expansion/merger plans for ECHL, CHL, SPHL FOR 2013-14?

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 11:22 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhockeygoalie View Post
Also I'll add to this and say that expansion St. Charles have been very quiet lately... no announcements made about season tickets, no announcements made in general, facebook page taken down. Not looking good over here.
They never answer the phone either.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:53 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 123
Yikes, so could very well be a nonstart for the franchise....

Old
04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yikes, so could very well be a nonstart for the franchise....
When I was doing the Death Pool Report, I had a category called "(dis)Honorable Mention" -- teams that had never taken the ice, so weren't on "death watch", but had been announced and ended up never actually taking the ice (or at least not in the season they were supposed to) -- the most egregious of which was the notorious WPHL Tucson Scorch, who folded before playing a single game, one day into their first WPHL season.

I'd be keeping a close eye on St. Charles for that category...

Old
04-16-2013, 01:53 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 123
Reminds me almost of the Lake County Fielders, a baseball team that, despite actually managing to play a year, never got off the ground. Stadium never got built and ended up playing in a glorified sandlot.

The inept ownership of that team and the Schaumburg Flyers, who I worked for in their final season as part of the game day staff, is ultimately what killed the Northern League.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Drake88

Ticket observations

After looking at the website for each CHL team and their ticket advertisements I've gathered some observations.

Allen- tickets were being advertised tickets but no amount of games

Arizona- tickets advertised for 33 home games (standard in the CHL)

Bloomington- tickets were advertised but no amount of games was specified

Brampton- tickets were advertised for 36 home game(standard in the ECHL)

St. Charles- barley any info About the team at all and no mention at all of tickets anywhere.

Denver- no ticket info

Fort Worth- no ticket info

Missouri- tickets advertised for 33 home games (standard in the CHL)

Quad city- tickets were advertised but no amount of games were specified.

Rapid city- no ticket info

Tulsa- tickets were advertised but no amount of games were specified.

Wichita- tickets advertised for 33 home games (standard in the CHL)

WHAT THE FUTURE MAY HOLD

Ultimately I think it's very possible we see Rapid City, Missouri, Wichita and Tulsa in the ECHL in the near future

I believe Brampton and Denver also could be possibilities but they would be far less likely. Brampton would work in the Atlantic division but there is no guarantee the league would want to deal with a Canadian team. In order for Denver to be admitted into the ECHL they would probably need permission from the eagles, and given how the Rocky Mountain Rage situation unfolded, I don't see that happening.

Due to the lack of news and advertising, I think we can all assume something is seriously wrong in St. Charles.

I just don't see the ECHL taking a team like Fort Worth due to their attendance trouble and arena.

Last edited by Drake88: 04-17-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old
04-17-2013, 02:30 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

The Brahmas want to move back into Fort Worth, specifically Will Rogers, but the current plan is for the city to build a new equestrian facility and eventually upgrade ice equipment at Will Rogers.

The Brahmas ownership group is also up in the air. Rumors been floating for a while that the group currently owning the team is still in flux and a big money guy could step in this off season.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:16 PM
mk80

The only thing known about St. Charles tickets is from a twitter post a while ago that said "Tickets will start at $7"

the only thing after that (again via Twitter) "Happy Easter"

This is the worst start to a franchise I have ever seen. I was very excited a couple months when they were announcing thier logos and coaches. I love the idea of having a less expensive alternative to the Blues 5 minutes from my house.

But now I doubt if they will hit the ice next year

Old
04-17-2013, 06:05 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake88 View Post

WHAT THE FUTURE MAY HOLD

Ultimately I think it's very possible we see Rapid City, Missouri, Wichita and Tulsa in the ECHL in the near future

I believe Brampton and Denver also could be possibilities but they would be far less likely. Brampton would work in the Atlantic division but there is no guarantee the league would want to deal with a Canadian team. In order for Denver to be admitted into the ECHL they would probably need permission from the eagles, and given how the Rocky Mountain Rage situation unfolded, I don't see that happening.

Due to the lack of news and advertising, I think we can all assume something is seriously wrong in St. Charles.

I just don't see the ECHL taking a team like Fort Worth due to their attendance trouble and arena.
I don't even know why, since i'm nowhere near an ECHL team, but I'm really hoping this is the year that the league can definitively 'conquer' the CHL. Maybe its just from an organizational standpoint that the 1-1-1 format appeals to me...I'm wondering though, if there's a mass exodus of teams to the ECHL and St. Charles fails to launch, would the CHL continue to operate with maybe 6 or so teams (two of which would be league owned) or would they shut it down? At that point they would more closely resemble the shambolic single-A FHL than any pretense to competing for an AA-status.

Old
04-18-2013, 05:22 AM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
When I was doing the Death Pool Report, I had a category called "(dis)Honorable Mention" -- teams that had never taken the ice, so weren't on "death watch", but had been announced and ended up never actually taking the ice (or at least not in the season they were supposed to) -- the most egregious of which was the notorious WPHL Tucson Scorch, who folded before playing a single game, one day into their first WPHL season.

I'd be keeping a close eye on St. Charles for that category...
Do you have a link so I can read this?

Old
04-18-2013, 08:18 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
Do you have a link so I can read this?
Prohockeynews.com was the host for the column while I was writing it, but I don't think they have any archives. I haven't done it in four years or so now.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:40 AM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

With AHL Houston moving to Iowa could the Aeros fly again as an ECHL team?

Old
04-21-2013, 11:00 AM
mk80

Duane Lewis and company are already running Quad City and Blookmington... I'm sure taking on a third team won't be too hard

I think the final wheel has fallen off the wagon for the CHL: If you look at it the league has 10 teams (not counting the Beast and Chill), if rumors are true and the league loses Mizzouri and Allen to the ECHL (just rumors nothing substantial there) that would give the league 8 teams, add Brampton is only 9. The league would have to take control of St. Charles to maintain a 10 team league, otherwise it would certainly end the league as I believe some teams have a clause the league must at least maintain 10 teams (not sure if that is true, but I recall hearing at one time).

Old
04-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Aero 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
It has been mentioned as a possibility, but the team would probably have to be owned by Les Alexander to play in the only hockey arena in Houston, Toyota Center. Les is not in good standing with hockey fans in Houston right now, so I wouldn't give this a second thought. The team would have have a depleted fan base, partly due to Les being the owner, and partly due to the fact it would be a step down the ladder. Too many bitter pills to swallow.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:19 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 75 View Post
It has been mentioned as a possibility, but the team would probably have to be owned by Les Alexander to play in the only hockey arena in Houston, Toyota Center. Les is not in good standing with hockey fans in Houston right now, so I wouldn't give this a second thought. The team would have have a depleted fan base, partly due to Les being the owner, and partly due to the fact it would be a step down the ladder. Too many bitter pills to swallow.
I hate that you guys are losing your hockey team over the fact that a new lease couldn't be negotiated. I remember Houston from the IHL days and I think even saw them play in Atlanta against the Knights at least once.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Drake88

Quote:
If Houston were to receive an ECHL they would not be playing in the Toyota center where the Aeros played. The Wild would have liked to keep the team in Houston, but the Toyota center believed they could make more money hosting rodeo shows and other events so they decided not to give the Aeros the lease. It is a shame considering the Aeros were 7th in league attendance with an average of almost 7000 this year. Although i would like to see an ECHL team in Houston, i just don't believe it would be possible at this point in time given the configuration of the ECHL (things could change if Allen, Wichita and Tulsa came). Too many fans would probably be turned off after what happened this year and they would most likely have to play at a lesser venue. It actually appears that the only other venue capable of hosting a minor league hockey team, The Summit, has been converted to a church.

Last edited by Drake88: 04-21-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 04:33 PM
MinWild1

I feel terrible for Houston fans, on a plus side, it sounds like you guys will be getting a junior hockey team in Sugar Land, either in the NAHL NA3HL, or the WSHL. So you'll still get a hockey fix!

Here's to hoping the Aeros find there way back to Houston, whether it's the AHL or ECHL. Even though the CHL would make sense travel wise, I wouldn't wise that league on my worst enemy.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:15 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
If Houston were to receive an ECHL they would not be playing in the Toyota center where the Aeros played. The Wild would have liked to keep the team in Houston, but the Toyota center believed they could make more money hosting rodeo shows and other events so they decided not to give the Aeros the lease. It is a shame considering the Aeros were 7th in league attendance with an average of almost 7000 this year. Although i would like to see an ECHL team in Houston, i just don't believe it would be possible at this point in time given the configuration of the ECHL (things could change if Allen, Wichita and Tulsa came). Too many fans would probably be turned off after what happened this year and they would most likely have to play at a lesser venue. It actually appears that the only other venue capable of hosting a minor league hockey team, The Summit, has been converted to a church.
Well the Orlando Solar Bears do play in the Amway Center which is home to the NBA Orland Magic so it's not impossible for an ECHL Houston team to play in the Toyota Center if they were to get one.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:38 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Well the Orlando Solar Bears do play in the Amway Center which is home to the NBA Orland Magic so it's not impossible for an ECHL Houston team to play in the Toyota Center if they were to get one.
Technically, no, it isn't impossible. The guy that owns the Rockets doesn't want a hockey team in his arena. His contract says that such a team is to be owned by him. So any new hockey team won't be playing in the Toyota Center while Les Alexander owns the Rockets.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:54 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Technically, no, it isn't impossible. The guy that owns the Rockets doesn't want a hockey team in his arena. His contract says that such a team is to be owned by him. So any new hockey team won't be playing in the Toyota Center while Les Alexander owns the Rockets.
Now where have I heard that before?

Old
04-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Drake88

Quote:
It's not that ECHL teams can't be in NBA arenas, Orlando and new orleans both play(ed) in them, it just the owner of the arena does not want hockey. He could have given the lease to the aeros who were very successful but decided he could make more money hosting events other than hockey.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Quacky
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkhockeygoalie View Post
Duane Lewis and company are already running Quad City and Blookmington... I'm sure taking on a third team won't be too hard

I think the final wheel has fallen off the wagon for the CHL: If you look at it the league has 10 teams (not counting the Beast and Chill), if rumors are true and the league loses Mizzouri and Allen to the ECHL (just rumors nothing substantial there) that would give the league 8 teams, add Brampton is only 9. The league would have to take control of St. Charles to maintain a 10 team league, otherwise it would certainly end the league as I believe some teams have a clause the league must at least maintain 10 teams (not sure if that is true, but I recall hearing at one time).
The league has not taken over Bloomington.

According to this article from the Bloomington paper, there are ownership possibilities.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Quacky
Rookie User

Quote:
After looking at the website for each CHL team and their ticket advertisements I've gathered some observations.

Arizona- tickets advertised for 33 home games (standard in the CHL)

Bloomington- tickets were advertised but no amount of games was specified

St. Charles- barley any info About the team at all and no mention at all of tickets anywhere.

Denver- no ticket info

Fort Worth- no ticket info

Missouri- tickets advertised for 33 home games (standard in the CHL)

Wichita- tickets advertised for 33 home games (standard in the CHL)

WHAT THE FUTURE MAY HOLD

Ticket info is (and has been) available....

34 games (33+1 preseason)

Includes 36 games (33 regular season and 3 playoff games)

Denver- no ticket info
Season ticket info

I'm from Quad City and a STHer who's already bought tickets for next season....it's 33 games

There is ticket info, but the Rush offered at 2-year pkg at the beginning of 2012-13 which most STHers took advantage of

[url-http://www.tulsaoilers.com/tickets/full-season/]33 games...menu at bottom of page[/url]

Fort Worth may move to juniors after this season, especially if they get a junior team in Houston with the Aeros gone.

Rapid City is questionable, but the franchise agreement for each team is valid for 10 years and doesn't include any type of buyout agreement. Rapid is in the 5th year of their 10-year agreement. Not sure how they'd get out, but they may have a plan!

St. Charles....who knows??!!

Old
04-25-2013, 03:07 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

The league(ECHL) should look at dumping off it's dead beats in Elmira and Wheeling and expand more Midwestern since it sounds like they will br adding Indy in 2014. They are getting a nice little bus division here much like the old UHL wanted to be

Old
04-25-2013, 08:14 PM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
The league(ECHL) should look at dumping off it's dead beats in Elmira and Wheeling and expand more Midwestern since it sounds like they will br adding Indy in 2014. They are getting a nice little bus division here much like the old UHL wanted to be
With Peoria becoming available (at some point) they will have a great footprint in the Midwest with some solid markets.

Old
04-25-2013, 08:58 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
With Peoria becoming available (at some point) they will have a great footprint in the Midwest with some solid markets.
what that person doesn't get is both Wheeling and Elmira aren't going anywhere, in fact most hockey fans should be thrilled now that Freeman and his partner have booted the Afr's out of team ownership for good, before Elmira went the way of Port Huron and Louisville.

I'm not sure Carver Arena wants to deal w/ a hockey team after having been bought out either, much like how IEC in Des Moines had to deal w/ the Schlegel debacle.

Closed Thread