HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors & Proposals Thread Vol. 15 | Oilers Pick 7th OV

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 12:49 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Kind of stupid to even think about or speculate on, because Ottawa isn't trading Karlsson.
That probably applies to about 90% of the trade possibilities that are discussed around here and about 99% of trade talk on HF as a whole.

04-21-2013, 12:59 AM
armandh01

vCash: 500
This team looks a lot better top 9 of we could sign Stalberg and Bickell, it is almost ridiculous. Even if we had to keep Gagner. 2 solid UFA signings would be near miraculous for this club.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:09 AM
plikestechno

If Klefbom can be even 80% of the player that Brodin has been for Minnesota he's untradeable.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:12 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
This team looks a lot better top 9 of we could sign Stalberg and Bickell, it is almost ridiculous. Even if we had to keep Gagner. 2 solid UFA signings would be near miraculous for this club.
Well, Stalberg would make our bottom six much faster.

I'm not quite as sold on Bickell though.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:28 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
The more it is discussed on the Trades forum the more I like Klefbom for Laughton... Flyers fans feel it is fair and they have the C depth to make it happen (Giroux Schenn Couturier)... they need a young LD though

Klefbom meanwhile is our one bluechip D prospect sure but he is LD and probably does not begin to touch his potential before three years from now... Laughton could be a 3C next year with potential for much more

This also gives us more options with our pick... we could trade it for help today... especially on the blueline... say Hemsky + EDM 1st for Yandle + Moss

Sign a UFA LW...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Laughton-Moss
Petrell-UFA-Brown
Belanger Smyth

Smid-Petry
Yandle-J. Schultz
N. Schultz-Fistric

Dunbyk
UFA

What's with the irrational man crush on Laughton. This is an awful trade for the oilers so I can understand why the philly fans are all for it.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:05 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
That probably applies to about 90% of the trade possibilities that are discussed around here and about 99% of trade talk on HF as a whole.
Yep, gotta love it.

I'll keep thinking about the more realistic options though, we have to look at ways to upgrade our D without breaking the bank (our first round pick moving would be the biggest asset), picking up a backup goalie and adding a top nine forward/changing the bottom six a bit.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:37 AM
Vanqu1sh

There should be relatively cheap trades to be had for players that are still useful but being shopped for cap space. For example, pens fans are saying brooks orpik could be had for a 2nd +. However, don't see hemsky being much of a trading chip for this same reason. If we're needing the cap space, he'll get shipped out for whatever we can get...otherwise probably staying. Doesn't make sense to trade him just to get rid of him.

That being said...Erat was the centerpiece of a deal for a top prospect. Crazy stuff. Different circumstances being at the deadline, but I guess I could be wrong about Hemsky's value.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:19 AM
McClelland

How about to go after ufa Nik Antropov and offer him a 2-3 year deal, then we are free to trade Gagner in pack for a D and we can use our pick for monahan or trading up to get Barkov or Lindholm.

Hall Rnh Ebs
Stahlberg(ufa) Antropov(ufa) Yakupov
Mps Horcoff Hartikainen
trading for Lw Smithsson/belanger or Lander Brown

Hemsky,jones and Gagner Gone, Captain Canada retires and probably Belanger also gone.

Old
04-21-2013, 08:30 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
How about to go after ufa Nik Antropov and offer him a 2-3 year deal, then we are free to trade Gagner in pack for a D and we can use our pick for monahan or trading up to get Barkov or Lindholm.

Hall Rnh Ebs
Stahlberg(ufa) Antropov(ufa) Yakupov
Mps Horcoff Hartikainen
trading for Lw Smithsson/belanger or Lander Brown

Hemsky,jones and Gagner Gone, Captain Canada retires and probably Belanger also gone.
Those 2 are 3rd line players..You've just made our top 6 worse without making them any tougher to play against..

Horcoff needs to be bought out and where are the players you got when you traded Hemsky and Gagner??

Old
04-21-2013, 09:38 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
If Klefbom can be even 80% of the player that Brodin has been for Minnesota he's untradeable.
Klefbom is far more raw than Brodin though. He's the type of dman that'll take a year or two to get adjusted to the NA game. Brodin was close to NHL ready in his draft year due to playstyle. (positioning, stickwork instead of physicality, crease clearing etc)

Old
04-21-2013, 09:45 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Seems to me people are wrongly placing so much blame on the bottom 6 forwards on this team and the defense.

Early in the season we lost games by the slimmest margin most of the time. We needed a one goal for or against differential.

As the year wore on we started to win games big against some teams and loose big against others.
When we lost our top players were held pointless or close and bled goals against.
When we won those same players destroyed the opposition.
Closer to the end of the year more and more teams figured out our top lines and killed us.

Sems to me our problem is the top 6.

Way back when we ruled the league Sather would put out two lines of two great players and one very tough player until the the other team had fear. This was enough to keep the games close or even slightly to our advantage. Then would slip a third good player in and rule. It didn't matter how good or bad the defense or goaltending was (and let me tell you it sucked bad some nights Mr. Lowe and Mr. Fehr)

Now this may not work exactly anymore but I think we need a bit of this.
Maybe we don't need a second line awesome huge centre for the Hall ..... Yak line just someone very tough to play against and pretty good. (fast and a good face off guy would be nice)
Maybe we don't need an awesome winger for Nuge and Eberle line just someone very tough to play against and pretty good. (fast would be nice). Look how good they played with even Paajarvi who does have the skill to do this but is a softie to play against.

Let the bottom 6 and defense just be good enough to hold there own (and be tough, very tough)

People feared Gretzky Kurri Semenko for the first period (except Calgary). And we still scored some goals.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:09 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Seems to me people are wrongly placing so much blame on the bottom 6 forwards on this team and the defense.

Early in the season we lost games by the slimmest margin most of the time. We needed a one goal for or against differential.

As the year wore on we started to win games big against some teams and loose big against others.
When we lost our top players were held pointless or close and bled goals against.
When we won those same players destroyed the opposition.
Closer to the end of the year more and more teams figured out our top lines and killed us.

Sems to me our problem is the top 6.

Way back when we ruled the league Sather would put out two lines of two great players and one very tough player until the the other team had fear. This was enough to keep the games close or even slightly to our advantage. Then would slip a third good player in and rule. It didn't matter how good or bad the defense or goaltending was (and let me tell you it sucked bad some nights Mr. Lowe and Mr. Fehr)

Now this may not work exactly anymore but I think we need a bit of this.
Maybe we don't need a second line awesome huge centre for the Hall ..... Yak line just someone very tough to play against and pretty good. (fast and a good face off guy would be nice)
Maybe we don't need an awesome winger for Nuge and Eberle line just someone very tough to play against and pretty good. (fast would be nice). Look how good they played with even Paajarvi who does have the skill to do this but is a softie to play against.

Let the bottom 6 and defense just be good enough to hold there own (and be tough, very tough)

People feared Gretzky Kurri Semenko for the first period (except Calgary). And we still scored some goals.
The bottom 6 is awful but the name of hte game is scoring goals and only 2 out of our top 6 have been relatively consistent. Ebs and Nuge need to step it up big time. Yak is trending nicely. Hemsky is a goner and I think MPS will likely be dealt with him.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:19 AM
doubledown99

Fuswald I like that idea. I think a big physical forward that can do the dirty work and dig out pucks and forcheck an create some space would be perfect with Nuge and Ebs.

My dream scenario is M. Foligno (trade Paajarvi for him or combo). If he can't be had then I think R. Torres might be able to fill in capably.

For Hall and Yak, B. Gordon could do the dirty work and be the defensive conscience of the line. If we can't get him, Horc could do the same.

The 3rd and 4th lines need some more players as well. Hendricks, Volpatti, etc would fill some holes.

And I like what you suggested, have some grit on each line but if you need offense than we could always reunite the kid line in the 3rd periods of games (when needed)

Old
04-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Mr Sakich

on the main board, one oiler fan suggested Yakupov to florida for seth jones.

it actually makes some sense. Florida is overloaded on defence prospects and we have too many forwards. Jones might be a franchise dman and they are typically not available.

this trade would justify those who saydraft the bpa. if you get overloaded in a position, deal from surplus to address a need

Old
04-21-2013, 10:57 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Those 2 are 3rd line players..You've just made our top 6 worse without making them any tougher to play against..

Horcoff needs to be bought out and where are the players you got when you traded Hemsky and Gagner??
They are excellent 3rd line / role fillers imo. They could be moved up and down very easily depending on the opponent (even to 1st line). Stalberg can play both wings if I am not mistaken, which may help in many situations.

Without breaking the bank those are very good pick ups and could save us looking for our BIG 2nd line C, if we are unable to obtain one.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Eberle and Gagner to FLA for Seth Jones, Shawn Matthias and a throw in like Goc or Kopecky?

Old
04-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Eberle and Gagner to FLA for Seth Jones, Shawn Matthias and a throw in like Goc or Kopecky?
There's a big difference between Kopecky and Goc in my mind, and they might want a defensive prospect back too.

So

Eberle, Gagner and Marincin for 1st overall (Jones), Matthias and Kopecky

I'd do that I think.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:20 AM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
That would certainly fall into that risky area that MacT was talking about.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
There's a big difference between Kopecky and Goc in my mind, and they might want a defensive prospect back too.

So

I'd do that I think.
I think it's good quality for quality that will help FLA be better now, while not jeopardizing their future at all and it makes us a more balanced team.

Old
oilers4life5

@EdmontonOilers: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will fly to Cleveland today to have his shoulder examined. Surgery is likely, will miss remainder of season.

Old
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:

So

I'd do that I think.
Florida wouldn't. They ain't giving up Jones if they win the lottery.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:22 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:

So

I'd do that I think.
Pass, we need to trade for a Dman that's ready to make an impact in our top 4, not add another 18 year old to the mix.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Pass, we need to trade for a Dman that's ready to make an impact in our top 4, not add another 18 year old to the mix.
LOL...

If you have a chance to add a possible franchaise defenceman with all the tools, you don't say pass for a different top 4 because they're older...

If you want to argue the value, especially of giving up one of the top 5, sure, but just because he's another 18 year old???

Old
04-21-2013, 11:33 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
LOL...

If you have a chance to add a possible franchaise defenceman with all the tools, you don't say pass for a different top 4 because they're older...

If you want to argue the value, especially of giving up one of the top 5, sure, but just because he's another 18 year old???
Yes, I'm tired of adding 18 year old rookies and expecting them to be difference makers. We have a tonne of young talent, we need to start looking at established players.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:45 PM
McClelland

Quote:

Stahlbergs development points straight up! He has also played topsix minutes in the hawks and arent a grinder as some people thinks who doesnt followed his development, Hes one of nhl fastest player is big and has starting to driving the net and doesnt take so much these long shots as before, rather have him then Mps(no hands and less psysical) in a topline.

Antropov doesnt improve Gagners offensive numbers this year, but he had 24+43 67 p 76 gp a couple of years ago and i think he leads the jets forwards in hits this season. The problem with him is that hes a streaky kind of player(penner lazy type) but i rather have him then a defensive shortcoming Gagner there pushed around, that we could lose in the offensive we gain in defence and get a lot tougher to play against, I mean Gagner/Mps Lmao!

We can dream about trading for a ready and complete 2C, but in reality we must look at whats possible(without losing 1 of the big 4),2 years at 4,3 for antropov isnt a high risk, he plays also Rw just fine and in the bottom lines. People rather pay Gags 5x5 after a hot streak who has already cooled off.

Use hemsky to move up in the draft for Barkov or Lindholm, alone maybe Hemsky get us a great 4th liner.

Im not sold on Antropov , But his huge and has experience,can hit and has scoring potential, With him and stahlberg, we wouldnt be pushed around as lately and Yakupovs space would benefit from these 2.

Closed Thread