HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2013, 12:09 PM
  #51
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,342
vCash: 500
It's all good, this is like his Oilers initiation. After, he will be a true Oiler.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:09 PM
  #52
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,643
vCash: 500
least surprising injury news ever

terrible for this org. to continue playing him despite KNOWING he was injured

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:10 PM
  #53
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
You do realize any medical procedure is the person's own decision right? As long as the person is 18 years old, they cannot be compelled to receive medical treatment. If RNH insisted he wait until season end, besides sitting him on the bench or pressbox, there isn't much they can do.

I suspect that's the case here. Now that the playoffs are a no-go, RNH decided to go for it.

I blame management for lots but we don't allways know the full story when it comes to medical conditions..
You're speaking autonomy in technical terms as written. I am stating the reality of what actually occurs in pro team sports where expectation to make commitments and sacrifice for the entire team is required.

This is a big money pressure environment. One where you get required treatment when the club says so.

The only situation in which the club is saying not to get treatment right away is if you are in playoffs or playoff race.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:10 PM
  #54
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,584
vCash: 500
Well, no ****ing duh. Like most of us haven't known this since January. This organization is a ****ing disaster, this should have been done immediately after the WJC when it was apparent that it was a big issue. Now, he likely won't be 100% for the start of next season.

The positive is that the injury had a lot to do with his struggles this season. I just knew that this wasn't the RNH that i've been watching since Junior. I never saw him so listless and so unwilling to engage physically plus i never saw him so inaccurate with his shot so it's a relief to know that the injury played a part in that. I think this also indirectly affected Eberle's game as well who is highly dependent on linemates to carry the play.
So lets get these guys healthy, start off next season fresh and get ready to roll.

Also, this should cement us into Lindholm/Monahan/Nurse territory. Barkov is out of reach IMO, those teams below us are playing awful, Calgary has all road games left and i still think the Oilers will squeak out a win or two so i think 6-7 is their likely finishing spot.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:12 PM
  #55
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Well I guess RNH isn't bulking this summer...
lol, yep. This is the problem. Bony kid with next to no musculature structure who will now face severe atrophy and longterm careful rehab.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
  #56
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,342
vCash: 500
People rag on the organization but in their shoes would probably do the same thing. Doc says surgery is likely needed but the player isn't in danger, he will just have to play through the discomfort. You are in a playoff race and would send your #1 centre for a surgery when it isn't required to have yet? I'm not betting on it. Just because a guy is hurting doesn't mean you have to shut him down. Pro athletes play through pain and injury all the time, it comes with the territory. Now that the team is out, he goes for surgery. I probably would have done it a week ago or something but w/e.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
  #57
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,643
vCash: 500
the question is...when did he re-aggravate it?

cause he looked unreal at the WJHC

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:14 PM
  #58
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Well, no ****ing duh. Like most of us haven't known this since January. This organization is a ****ing disaster, this should have been done immediately after the WJC when it was apparent that it was a big issue. Now, he likely won't be 100% for the start of next season.

The positive is that the injury had a lot to do with his struggles this season. I just knew that this wasn't the RNH that i've been watching since Junior. I never saw him so listless and so unwilling to engage physically plus i never saw him so inaccurate with his shot so it's a relief to know that the injury played a part in that. I think this also indirectly affected Eberle's game as well who is highly dependent on linemates to carry the play.
So lets get these guys healthy, start off next season fresh and get ready to roll.

Also, this should cement us into Lindholm/Monahan/Nurse territory. Barkov is out of reach IMO, those teams below us are playing awful, Calgary has all road games left and i still think the Oilers will squeak out a win or two so i think 6-7 is their likely finishing spot.
Yeah, from our posts all along most of us suspected the injury and hoped it was the answer to what was limiting RNH. Too bad the org didn't get on this. As I stated many times this was a mostly lockout year. THIS was the year to get this fixed. RNH could have been under the knife last spring or earlier. What was the cost in doing it that way?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:14 PM
  #59
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
I'd say by now the most hated player on the oilers of the last few years is proven to be 100% correct on his assessment of the oilers management and their medical staff. Of course every one and their dog on here actually backed lowe and the boys and their black balling of Souray.

These idiots are going to screw up all the potential of this team no doubt in my mind.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:15 PM
  #60
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
People rag on the organization but in their shoes would probably do the same thing. Doc says surgery is likely needed but the player isn't in danger, he will just have to play through the discomfort. You are in a playoff race and would send your #1 centre for a surgery when it isn't required to have yet? I'm not betting on it. Just because a guy is hurting doesn't mean you have to shut him down. Pro athletes play through pain and injury all the time, it comes with the territory. Now that the team is out, he goes for surgery. I probably would have done it a week ago or something but w/e.
RNH was severely hampered by this and missed games due to this last season. I missed where we were in a playoff race last season.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:16 PM
  #61
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Why wasn't this done a long time ago? Now it'll be Christmas before he's back to his regular self (hopefully).
this x1000

absolutely ridiculous that this wasn't done 2-3 months ago, when *everybody* knew it was going to have to happen.... so now RNH gets to miss half of next season as well, because they waited waaaaaay too long to get the surgery done

this team is hilariously incompetent

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:17 PM
  #62
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the question is...when did he re-aggravate it?

cause he looked unreal at the WJHC
vs the Vancouver Canucks when Sedin landed on him.

This honestly should've happened a very long time ago. Hopefully he'll be ready for the start of next season, we have without a doubt the worst medical team in the NHL. Welcome to the Oilers Seth Jones.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:18 PM
  #63
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
RNH was severely hampered by this and missed games due to this last season. I missed where we were in a playoff race last season.
They said it was different from his previous shoulder injury.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:18 PM
  #64
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@dantencer: RNH said it stems back to his 2nd year of junior...it's like a duplicate of the Hall story. Same injury stemming from junior.
sure it is.... sure it is

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:18 PM
  #65
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
vs the Vancouver Canucks when Sedin landed on him.

This honestly should've happened a very long time ago. Hopefully he'll be ready for the start of next season, we have without a doubt the worst medical team in the NHL. Welcome to the Oilers Seth Jones.
We don't have Tambo's lucky tie anymore.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:19 PM
  #66
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
vs the Vancouver Canucks when Sedin landed on him.

This honestly should've happened a very long time ago. Hopefully he'll be ready for the start of next season, we have without a doubt the worst medical team in the NHL. Welcome to the Oilers Seth Jones.
Again blaming this on the medical team is barking up the wrong tree. The oilers fired the entire previous medical team. They continued soldiering on with a management team content to do nothing about nothing and listen to nothing.

The medical doctors reportedly stated RNH required surgery which was suspected and rumored for sometime.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:20 PM
  #67
Samwise Gagner
We suck.
 
Samwise Gagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Rays of optimism:

- At some point, this absolutely had to happen. Now he's getting it out of the way early in his career and if his surgery goes as well as Hall's we won't have to even think about this ever again.
- If MacT was involved in this situation, then I'm glad to see that at least this particular member of the old boys club is mentally competent, that's good to see from a new GM.
- Despite his lack of scoring, Nuge was still racking up assists fast enough to be on a nearly 50 point pace in a full season. Clearly his super human vision and hockey sense have not been lost, and gives us a lot to look forward too when he's healthy enough to shoot again. Remember his snipe on lundqvist near the start of last season? Cearly he can shoot a hell of a lot better when his shoulder is in one piece.
- This may have been what forced him to improve other areas of his game so much. By having to focus on his defensive responsabilities more this season (with great success) he will become a far more complete player than he was before, as well the Hall-RNH-Ebs line will benefit from that greatly now that one of them is defensively responsible.
- Not quite as excited about this aspect, but this will all but guarantee that we will be in position to draft a good player this year. I'd rather they learn to win games, but at very least we should be able to get our hands on Monahan or Nurse. Who knows, we may even be high enough to snatch up Barkov.

So in conclusion, this sucks, but next year we'll have Nuge at full strength again, a more defensively responsible first line, and another solid draft pick in the system.

Samwise Gagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:21 PM
  #68
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
vs the Vancouver Canucks when Sedin landed on him.

This honestly should've happened a very long time ago. Hopefully he'll be ready for the start of next season, we have without a doubt the worst medical team in the NHL. Welcome to the Oilers Seth Jones.
If you can convince those teams below the Oilers to try and win a game or two I'm with you. Otherwise, forget about a top 3 pick. My guess is 6-8.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:22 PM
  #69
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
this x1000

absolutely ridiculous that this wasn't done 2-3 months ago, when *everybody* knew it was going to have to happen.... so now RNH gets to miss half of next season as well, because they waited waaaaaay too long to get the surgery done

this team is hilariously incompetent
2-3 months ago?? This season was 3 months long. Sorry but him missing the entire 2nd season would be a complete disaster. So he had some shoulder discomfort and didn't play to the best of his healthy ability, boo hoo. He isn't going to miss half of next year unless something goes terribly wrong during his recovery.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:22 PM
  #70
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
They said it was different from his previous shoulder injury.
Not trying to go medical here but anytime you have a serious problem with any joint injury theres a lot of compensation that goes on that takes you out of the normal range of movement and where the integrity of the joint is often compromised and with greater risk of further egregious injury. Injury basically leads to further injury if not addressed.

Pretty much why when you get a serious joint injury many precautions/indications should and do take place to limit further injury.

except, you know, with team incompetent here.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:22 PM
  #71
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah, from our posts all along most of us suspected the injury and hoped it was the answer to what was limiting RNH. Too bad the org didn't get on this. As I stated many times this was a mostly lockout year. THIS was the year to get this fixed. RNH could have been under the knife last spring or earlier. What was the cost in doing it that way?
They probably had the delusion that he was the big key to a potential playoff run and decided that it wasn't serious enough to keep him out and that he could play through it, maybe Tambo panicked because his job was on the line (although i think he was out the door no matter how well the team did this season) and figured that playing RNH was the best way to save his job. I know that the doctors are at fault but the GM has the final say on this, no?

Especially with young players, it's best to get this done right away so that it doesn't affect their development. Well, this season seemed like a waste to have him out there and now it might carry into next season so it seems to have already hurt his development. It will also affect his offseason training program, an offseason in which he should be getting stronger with vigorous workouts, not rehabbing.
The positive is that Hall has come back stronger than ever so there is hope that this is only a minor speedbump but frustrating all the same that it wasn't done earlier.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:25 PM
  #72
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 50
@dantencer: Ralph Krueger says "it wasn't even a question" that RNH would continue to play until they were out of race. "We didn't even consider this."

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:26 PM
  #73
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,421
vCash: 500
I don't think it'll take RNH as long to recover as some on HFOil are speculating. It's unfortunate, but lets hope RNH can have a Hall-like turn around after surgery.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
  #74
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,684
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@dantencer: Ralph Krueger says "it wasn't even a question" that RNH would continue to play until they were out of race. "We didn't even consider this."
Idiots.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
  #75
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Insta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,342
vCash: 500
The GM might have the final say but you people with your conspiracies are ridiculous. Some of you mean to tell us that the doctors said Nuge should be shut down for surgery right away but Tambo overruled them and said no, he's playing.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.