HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Best chance for Nurse to drop to us is for Tampa Bay to select Nichushkin, but it still seems a stretch to me unless Edmonton picks before Calgary.

Quote:
(1). FLA - N. Mackinnon
(2). COL - S. Jones
(3). CAR - J. Drouin
(4). TBL - V. Nichushkin
(5). NSH - A. Barkov
So far so good, but the next three in most lists are Lindholm, Monahan, and Nurse. If Calgary picks next and takes Monahan, I think Edmonton takes Nurse. If Edmonton picks next and takes Monahan, I think Calgary could go with Lindholm.

Quote:
Scenario #1
(6). CGY - Monahan
(7). EDM - Nurse
(8). PHI - Lindholm / Zadorov / Ristolainen

Scenario #2
(6). EDM - Monahan
(7). CGY - Lindholm
(8). PHI - Nurse
...and of course this will all change by tomorrow, based on today's results.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I wish I could 'like' your posts.
This. The best poster in here, IMHO!

Old
04-21-2013, 09:01 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

What a joke of a franchise the Oilers are....and FLA for that matter.... Oilers have fans cheering that they will get another #1 pick.... it's mind boggling that some would cheer to be bad every year.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:48 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

If we could possibly enter the draft with 2 1sts and come away with nurse and either another defenseman like Zadorov, or a winger like Mantha, it will be a joyous day!

Old
04-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Flyers2point0

Definitely, I've been hoping for a while that we would somehow manage to get another 1st.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Jack de la Hoya

How does trading Matt Read for Anthony Mantha improve this team?

I'll take the proven, versatile 25 goal-scorer with above average defense over the potential 30 goal-scoring LW.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

I'll take the proven, versatile 25 goal-scorer with above average defense over the potential 30 goal-scoring LW.
Not that much, but Mantha is obviously a younger, more controllable asset. Matt Read is about to become less valuable with an actual contract as a UFA.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Flyers2point0

I would only consider moving a forward if there's a top defender still on the boards. Definitely wouldn't do it for another forward, pretty pointless. Coburn on the other hand, if there's a defensive prospect and a pick coming back to us and we take a d-man with our pick, you take BPA. (obviously you want BPA with both picks but there's no chance we move a d-man for another 1st just to draft 2 forwards) That's the only way I can see us coming away with someone like Mantha. And I really wouldn't mind that at all, I don't think Coburn is going to reach his full potential with this team and if someone is willing to give us a 1st, a top prospect, or a pick and a prospect then I really wouldn't hesitate to move him.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Mota

Unless the Flyers pull out a couple of wins next week, I see them finishing with the 5th or 6th pick. At that position, I think it comes down between Barkov, Nichushkin, and Nurse.

Does anyone know what the likelihood of these three being able to play next year? From what I have read, it sounds like Barkov and Nichushkin are NHL ready, I am just not sure how their European contracts come into play. It sounds like Nurse could be physically ready...I just dont know if it would be best for his development to bring him up right away.

Nichushkin could be real interesting on G's wing...but I dont know if I see them picking him if the KHL will have him tied up for a few years...I think they want a player that can come in and make an impact right away.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Unless the Flyers pull out a couple of wins next week, I see them finishing with the 5th or 6th pick. At that position, I think it comes down between Barkov, Nichushkin, and Nurse.

Does anyone know what the likelihood of these three being able to play next year? From what I have read, it sounds like Barkov and Nichushkin are NHL ready, I am just not sure how their European contracts come into play. It sounds like Nurse could be physically ready...I just dont know if it would be best for his development to bring him up right away.

Nichushkin could be real interesting on G's wing...but I dont know if I see them picking him if the KHL will have him tied up for a few years...I think they want a player that can come in and make an impact right away.
Nichushkin is bound to the KHL for at least 2 years. Barkov is probably close to NHL-ready. Nurse needs several years of development.

(I don't see the Flyers picking 5th regardless of what happens. It is mathematically possible, but very, very unlikely. 6th is best-case scenario, with 7th the best realistic position.)

Old
04-21-2013, 12:10 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
Homer picks Barkov, the age old trick of drafting only centers since hes most NHL ready.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Not that much, but Mantha is obviously a younger, more controllable asset. Matt Read is about to become less valuable with an actual contract as a UFA.
I think Matt Read is going to get dealt this summer. Just don't think they will be able to afford him next summer. Would not be shocked if he is dealt at the draft for prospects/picks. The type of "in hindsight" deals that DFF likes to talk about so much.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Nichushkin is bound to the KHL for at least 2 years. Barkov is probably close to NHL-ready. Nurse needs several years of development.

(I don't see the Flyers picking 5th regardless of what happens. It is mathematically possible, but very, very unlikely. 6th is best-case scenario, with 7th the best realistic position.)
Nurse isn't that far off at all. You're probably looking at 2 - 3 years with Nurse. Physically, he's more than ready for the NHL. His offensive game needs refinement, but physically, he could play at the NHL level and not look out of place. I don't think they're ready for top minutes, but 16 to 18 minutes a night shouldn't be a problem for them.

The problem with guys like Nurse, Jones, etc...is that depending on the team, they are going to rush them into the lineup and play them incredibly tough and incredibly high minutes. At this point in their careers (and as previously mentioned) they need to start in the 6th spot and earn their way up from there. Playing 16 to 18 minutes a night is perfect for them, but you can bet that someone will try putting them in a top role and playing excessive minutes.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:20 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

If we drafted nurse, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him slotted into the 5th or 6th spot next season. Look what they did with sbisa, and nurse certainly projects to be a better player than sbisa IMO.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Flyers2point0

Well we're at 8th now and I don't see us moving up all that much. 3 games left, coming off a win. As long as we don't move down any I'm satisfied but I can't see us moving up more than one spot. The top 5 are pretty solid at this point and I think one of Calgary or Edmonton will definitely be drafting before us. I'm just nervous that Buffalo could squeak in there and knock us back a spot, they're coming off a loss with 3 games left and all 3 of them being teams that are in playoff contention. Pittsburgh and NYI are on win streaks and Winnipeg is only a point or two out of the picture.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
daynus

i can see 6th or 7th

and a small chance of winning the lotto. if 6th then edmonton who has a pretty good amount of games left, wins some. at 6 it is gonna be lindholm. i can see calgary taking barkov at 3 or 4. if it is 7th then edmonton does not win many of their remaining games. wouldnt be surprised if edmonton then takes lindholm. that team needs a lot, starting in the front office. if they go d, i can see them going zadarov. they need size,strength, help on the back end. so if they pass on lindholm, then he falls to us. and if not, i can see zadarov at 7. nurse i can see dropping, you are gonna have to develop him lots for several years. he could turn out to be very good, but we dont have that much time to wait. zadarov would look great on this team.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
How is Hagg?

Old
04-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Nurse isn't that far off at all. You're probably looking at 2 - 3 years with Nurse...
I don't think we're disagreeing here. I said several years--you said 2-3 years. The point is, I don't think we should expect him in the line-up next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If we drafted nurse, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him slotted into the 5th or 6th spot next season. Look what they did with sbisa, and nurse certainly projects to be a better player than sbisa IMO.
Better projection doesn't necessarily mean NHL ready--and Sbisa wasn't being groomed into a possible #1D.

If we draft Nurse, I certainly hope he's back in the OHL, playing a #1D role there--top PP minutes, etc. That would be much better for his development then playing 15 minutes a night in the NHL, particularly because it is the offensive part of his game that might well need the most work.

I'd be fine with them possibly working him into the line-up in 2014-2015--but he might also benefit from some time in the AHL.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Better projection doesn't necessarily mean NHL ready--and Sbisa wasn't being groomed into a possible #1D.

If we draft Nurse, I certainly hope he's back in the OHL, playing a #1D role there--top PP minutes, etc. That would be much better for his development then playing 15 minutes a night in the NHL, particularly because it is the offensive part of his game that might well need the most work.

I'd be fine with them possibly working him into the line-up in 2014-2015--but he might also benefit from some time in the AHL.
I think it's safe to say they bungled Sbisa's development. There was so much that went wrong there.

As for Nurse, agreed that he'd be best served going back to junior for another season. This is a kid who just turned 18 years old. He's physically ready for the NHL, but his offensive game needs refinement. I don't think being in Philadelphia would be ideal for his offensive game to come together. The pressure he'd be under would be immense and if he doesn't produce, you can bet that the beat writers (with the exception of Metzler), would be calling him a bust and wanting him shipped out as soon as possible.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
I think it's safe to say they bungled Sbisa's development. There was so much that went wrong there.

As for Nurse, agreed that he'd be best served going back to junior for another season. This is a kid who just turned 18 years old. He's physically ready for the NHL, but his offensive game needs refinement. I don't think being in Philadelphia would be ideal for his offensive game to come together. The pressure he'd be under would be immense and if he doesn't produce, you can bet that the beat writers (with the exception of Metzler), would be calling him a bust and wanting him shipped out as soon as possible.
Always appreciate your insight!

People should give Carchidi some respect, I enjoy reading his blogs and articles along with Metzler.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
I don't think we're disagreeing here. I said several years--you said 2-3 years. The point is, I don't think we should expect him in the line-up next season.

With wonder-coach Stevens steering the Titanic, Sbisa wasn't being groomed to be our next no. 1 defenseman. He was being treated like a third-line left-winger. It's a ****ing miracle he's in the NHL at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Always appreciate your insight!

People should give Carchidi some respect, I enjoy reading his blogs and articles along with Metzler.

Metzler was and still is the only writer in Philadelphia worth a pound of salt. The rest... they defy physics in that they're the only perpetual machines known to man - trash that produces trash at an exponential rate.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:55 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
I think we end up with Lindholm and I am 100 pct ok with that. He would fit in very well next season on the top line LW spot. Maybe we can move another peice for a later 1st and get a Zadarov, Ristolainen, Pulock type.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:43 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Hagg will more than likely end up being a day two pick. Holmgren had asked Mikael Renberg about Hagg and Renberg gave him a run down on him.

In terms of having the 8th overall choice, there's still a very high chance the Flyers end up with Nurse. Yes, I'm a big Zadorov fan, but if Nurse is available when the Flyers pick 8th, then he'll be the guy. I know that Zadorov is a physical specimen at 18 (6'5, 230 pounds), but when Nurse grows into his frame, he'll be just as imposing (6'5, 205 pounds).

In terms of comparisons, I wouldn't say Zadorov is Coburn 2.0. I'd say Zadorov is more like Zdeno Chara was when he played junior hockey - very good defensively and the raw offensive talent was there, but needed to be cultivated. Nurse is very much like Scott Stevens was when he played junior hockey - defensively adept with great offensive potential and a mean SOB.

As far as I'm concerned, the Flyers can't go wrong with either guy. If they end up moving the pick, it's only because they've acquired that elusive young puck moving defenseman with number one upside.
How would you compare these D prospects as far as skating ability? Seems like that's a strength for both Jones and Nurse, I don't know as much about Risto and Zadorov.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:30 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I think we end up with Lindholm and I am 100 pct ok with that. He would fit in very well next season on the top line LW spot. Maybe we can move another peice for a later 1st and get a Zadarov, Ristolainen, Pulock type.
A 19 year old is going to come right from Sweden, play a position he's never really played before, and on the first line? Not only is that a ridiculous assumption, but you would have 3 guys on one line who are similar, puck possession players.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:36 PM
PropJoe

Calgary wins, now one point behind us, and plays Nashville on Tuesday. That gives us a good chance at 7th if we lose out possibly even 6th if Edmonton can win 2 out of 5. Root for them vs. Anaheim tonight.

Closed Thread