HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 12:03 PM
palindrom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Top 15 all time save % in the NHL.

I'd say that's pretty great.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/recor...e-leaders.html
Top 15 of all time but only a top 10-14 among the current active players.

I guess the time have changed.

Last edited by palindrom: 04-21-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 12:04 PM
CP31

This is funny. He was very good all season for us until the TO game and now people are calling for his head. He's had a bad week, in a shortened season, while the rest of the team is in the same boat.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
This is funny. He was very good all season for us until the TO game and now people are calling for his head. He's had a bad week, in a shortened season, while the rest of the team is in the same boat.
Business as usual around here.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:07 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

The more you play the harder it is to maintain.
Well, maybe we agree on that one and that's why Price isn't able to maintain his performance of the past few years.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:11 PM
gillings

When are we all going to admit that price plays like theodore.

#60 go habs go

p.s We all know price is a really good "practice" goalie

Old
04-21-2013, 12:16 PM
reffree

Quote:

He's not Roy but there are definite similarities in the situations. The comparison is being used to show how the fans are ready to dump guys pretty quickly... And it's a valid comparison from that perspective.

Nobody would say that he's as good as Roy.
Fans react to underperforming goalie the same way be it for Price, Theodore, Thibault, or others Huet, Hackett of this world. There are similarities in all their situation. It's just odd to compare Price to Roy, cause he can't fall on his resume to explain that.

Compare him to Theodore, he was up and down and some wanted to trade him even after his MVP season. Well it happen and the world didn't stop turning. Price resume is alot more like Theodore (without the MVP season) than it is to Roy.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
I don't buy into the speculative and 'what if' scenarios, or simply the purely idiotic statements some people make on these boards, but Price, out of all the people on the team, is the one that has to get his **** straight first.

This team simply can't pull off comebacks anymore. As soon as we're down a goal, at least half of the team mentally checks out and the rest simply can't do anything without any support. Price needs to start making saves. Not just not give up bad or questionable goals, he needs to rob a few. We're simply not getting back into the groove until the team sees that despite playing like utter ****, they can still win the game with a little effort.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:18 PM
gillings

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillings View Post
When are we all going to admit that price plays like theodore.

#60 go habs go

p.s We all know price is a really good "practice" goalie

When I tell you.

When carey the 6th hole inventor goalie price plays like roy ( impossible might I mention ) I will turn into a bridge

Old
04-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Craig71

Carey Price will be better, I just wonder if it will ever happen while he is wearing a Habs jersey.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Carey Price will be better, I just wonder if it will ever happen while he is wearing a Habs jersey.
And people will re-create thread here about losing another player from our team for nothing.

Always the same pattern, we finished 15th last year. we're 2nd in the conference + making the playoffs.

But obviously people already forgot about that.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
25get

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Top 15 all time save % in the NHL.

I'd say that's pretty great.

Could also look at:

Seems interesting to note that a lot of the goalies in both list are still working.
Probably we are scoring less goals in these years.

Anyway, whatever the numbers say we know that:
  • We can not trade Price now;
  • Trading him now, when his value is at his lowest is not a good idea;
  • Before trading him, we need to have someone who can replace him.

Solution will have to be found with the team that we have right now.
In the next two weeks, we will know much more.

I do agree that Price is in his worst slump since Halak was there.
This time, there is no Halak to brings us miracles.
We will see what is the real value of Price soon enough.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
And people will re-create thread here about losing another player from our team for nothing.

Always the same pattern, we finished 15th last year. we're 2nd in the conference + making the playoffs.

But obviously people already forgot about that.
I don't think we would ever lose him for nothing and I posted that because of comments that Price himself made last week in a media scrum. He was referring to how tough it was to be a goalie in the Montreal market.

I tend to think it's tough to be a goalie in any NHL market, it is the most scrutinized position in hockey. There are a select few that can pull it off and succeed. I don't hate Price if that's what you think, I just wonder if he is mentally tough enough to be the guy.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
I don't hate Price if that's what you think, I just wonder if he is mentally tough enough to be the guy.
I am far from worshiping Carey Price like some on this board, but I think the way he performed after the Halak trade convinced me that he's mentally tough enough to play in Montreal -- and for the record, I did not think that would be the case.

There's no questioning he's playing like the worst goalie in the league right now and confidence is at a very low level, but I believe he'll get back on track eventually. I just hope it's before the playoffs get here because otherwise we'll be done very quickly and the fans may not be willing to give him another chance. He needs to have a good showing in the playoffs or the situation could get pretty ugly.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:21 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Just don't go on the main boards and offer him for trades. Your threads are embarrassing the rest of us
Ya, that's a bit ridiculous and I agree, embarrassing.

I'm admitting he sucks right now, but I emphasize RIGHT NOW. In my mind, he's still the goalie who can win us a Cup. Fine, he's had lots of chances and screwed up in key games, but it's my belief that this is just his trajectory. He went through tough times during the Halak thing and rebounded with an MVP year that quite frankly, most people forget about, but was Vezina worthy. He didn't have the wins obviously as the team went into the Cunneyworth era.

He's the type of guy that can go from sucking hard to being the first star game in and game out. Not many goalies can do that. The question is, will the turnaround happen in time? I'm not as sure as I was before, but I know its entirely possible, while with most goalies, it would not be.

FTR, no idea what's going on with Reimer ATM, but I do hope the horseshoe is just about ready to dislodge itself from his rectum.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:26 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Okay Anderson has started more than 40 games twice... my mistake. He still hasn't been a starter dude. Still not fair to compare guys who've been starters vs guys in backup roles. Look at Brian Elliot, absolute rock star last year, sucked this year and now he's a rock star again.

The more you play the harder it is to maintain.
Did you even read what you quoted ? I can't possibly believe that you did.

He strarted more than 40 games 3 times. Not 2 times.

Also, there's a grand total of 9 games played difference between Price and Anderson over the same stretch, how can you say Price is a starter and Anderson is not ?

You are wrong, it is best to admit the mistake and move on.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Rickkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Oops...watch who is at #10???
Hehehe... this town would go crazy if we could get him back......

Old
04-21-2013, 01:45 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
You say Price 'hasn't done anything' and that's not the case. He's been a solid goalie in the first five years of his career. And he's done it in the toughest market in sports.
I'd not say that. It's been a roller coaster. 1 really good season, 2 average ones, 2 bad ones. All over the place. Not what I'd call solid. Which is normal because he was too young to be given the starter job and was rushed.

Quote:
And as bad as he's played it's only been a few games. There's no doubt he's sucked and everyone should be worried about it to an extent but suggesting that we deal him or that he's an albatross is nuts.
No it's not been only a few games. You don't end up with a .905 save % because of just 4 games. Price has been average all season. Now he's playing terribly. The overall result is a below average season at best.

As for trading him, I've avoided this subject because there's no point to discussing it until the playoffs are over. What he does there will also massively influence my opinion of Price going forward. I'll weight this one more than everything he's done so far. He has a big contract, he has a clear role as #1 starter, his back up is a back up and nothing more, the team has played good all year, he's now 25, he has some experience in the playoffs, there are no excuses for a bad outing.

Quote:
He's not Roy but there are definite similarities in the situations. The comparison is being used to show how the fans are ready to dump guys pretty quickly... And it's a valid comparison from that perspective.

Nobody would say that he's as good as Roy.
The only similarity is the AHL calder cup win. It ends there. It's a really horrible comparison. Roy's conn smythe and cup win changes everything. He followed it up with vezinas and another cup finals playoffs appearance within 3 years. People who were giving up on Roy back then were dumb obviously. You can't say people who are giving up on Price are on the same level of dumb as those who were giving up on Roy. The situations are completely different. It's silly to even bring it up.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:51 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Really, one years ago, i was arguing a lot with some Vancouver fans telling me they would never do Burrows for Subban. I was the fool telling them Subban could have more value to Vancouver than Burrows.

This recent thread was just a try to get an update to see if they would still not do it.

You can see the original thread here - http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=962139

Last edited by palindrom: 04-21-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 01:53 PM
TennisMenace

I agree with E=ch2

Carey has really only had one great year: 2010-11

He has declined both years after that. This concerns me that he is getting worse, not better.

Old
04-21-2013, 01:54 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Just don't go on the main boards and offer him for trades. Your threads are embarrassing the rest of us
Last summer i got an agreement with Toronto fans about trading Price for Reimer, Kadri, Rielly and Colborne.

I actually am the one embarrassed about the number of Montreal fans telling me we should never trade Price.

Last edited by palindrom: 04-21-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 01:55 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Last summer i got an agreement with Toronto fans about trading Price for Reimer, Kadri, Rielly and Colborne.

I actually am the one embarrassed about the number of Montreal fans telling me we should never do it.
I'll bet you won't get this this year.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:00 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I agree with E=ch2

He has declined both years after that. This concerns me that he is getting worse, not better.
Did you see our team last year??

Old
04-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
Fans react to underperforming goalie the same way be it for Price, Theodore, Thibault, or others Huet, Hackett of this world. There are similarities in all their situation. It's just odd to compare Price to Roy, cause he can't fall on his resume to explain that.

Compare him to Theodore, he was up and down and some wanted to trade him even after his MVP season. Well it happen and the world didn't stop turning. Price resume is alot more like Theodore (without the MVP season) than it is to Roy.
Nobody has a resume like Roy's except Ken Dryden.

The similarities are in how the crowd treated Roy. We ran him out of town and if Roy is sitting there in a poll with 60 percent of his fans wanting him dealt what kind of a chance does any goalie have?
Quote:
I'm starting to worry about that too. If the crowd starts to really get on him then it could force mgmt's hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Did you even read what you quoted ? I can't possibly believe that you did.

He strarted more than 40 games 3 times. Not 2 times.

Also, there's a grand total of 9 games played difference between Price and Anderson over the same stretch, how can you say Price is a starter and Anderson is not ?

You are wrong, it is best to admit the mistake and move on.
Okay, didn't see the 2011 split. Sorry.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/playe...pmi0.9A.nCfgM6

Quote:
I'd not say that. It's been a roller coaster. 1 really good season, 2 average ones, 2 bad ones. All over the place. Not what I'd call solid. Which is normal because he was too young to be given the starter job and was rushed.
The only time I've seen him play truly badly was when he came back from injury in his 2nd season. No doubt he came back too early and sucked. (A lot like he's playing now.) The following year our team was awful and he couldn't buy a win but he really wasn't that bad dude. I'd say he's been really solid, esp considering the teams he's been on. And I think most people (outside this forum these days anyway) would agree with me.
Quote:
No it's not been only a few games. You don't end up with a .905 save % because of just 4 games. Price has been average all season. Now he's playing terribly. The overall result is a below average season at best.
He's gone from .916 to .905 in four games... yeah, it can happen that fast dude.
Quote:
As for trading him, I've avoided this subject because there's no point to discussing it until the playoffs are over. What he does there will also massively influence my opinion of Price going forward. I'll weight this one more than everything he's done so far. He has a big contract, he has a clear role as #1 starter, his back up is a back up and nothing more, the team has played good all year, he's now 25, he has some experience in the playoffs, there are no excuses for a bad outing.
So if he sucks in the playoffs we should deal him?

I disagree but I'll probably be in the minority on that one.
Quote:
The only similarity is the AHL calder cup win. It ends there. It's a really horrible comparison. Roy's conn smythe and cup win changes everything. He followed it up with vezinas and another cup finals playoffs appearance within 3 years. People who were giving up on Roy back then were dumb obviously. You can't say people who are giving up on Price are on the same level of dumb as those who were giving up on Roy. The situations are completely different. It's silly to even bring it up.
Again, nobody is saying he's Roy.

The comparisons are in how the fans write off our goalies. That's the comparison that's made and I think it's a good one. Like I said above, if the fans are going to write off Roy (and many did) then what chance does any goalie have here?

Old
04-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I agree with E=ch2

His numbers were fantastic for the team we had last year. We were in last place dude...

Old
04-21-2013, 02:06 PM
palindrom

Quote:
I'll bet you won't get this this year.
That's why i often suggested we trade Price while is value was at his peak. (in the past 2 years).

Closed Thread