HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2013, 10:54 AM
  #351
Webersmashpuck
Registered User
 
Webersmashpuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spring Hill
Country: United States
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
there will be a run on D, but it will be in the bottom of the top 10. Some great names...Nurse, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pulock...but they're not top five picks, they're more like high end second pairing guys.
Yeah, but look at last year and Forsberg and look at the teams picking high. Tampa Bay and Colorado need defense more than offense. We never know how the GMs rank these players until draft day, there are always a few surprises.

Granted, unless we win out I don't see us missing out on any of the better forwards.

Webersmashpuck is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:55 AM
  #352
AintLifeGrand
Registered User
 
AintLifeGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thrasherville, GA
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,665
vCash: 500
How is Lindholm not "Elite"? He is putting up better numbers than Backstrom at the same respective point in their SEL careers?

IMO

Lindholm>Barkov

Barkov can't skate worth a damn

AintLifeGrand is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 11:05 AM
  #353
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,042
vCash: 500
I wonder if we should start a 'Adopt a prospect' thread.

BigFatCat999 is online now  
Old
04-21-2013, 11:13 AM
  #354
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
I'm weary of barkov because he just had surgery and I keep hearing about his skating being an issue.

Drouin is smallish but still think he will be great NHLer

I have not heard anything really negative about Lindholm and think he gets underrated a fair amount.

Monahan could be awesome or could be bust, too risky for us to take him this high.

Nichushkin seems to want to play in NHL big time. Look at ovechkin, malkin, datsyuk, etc. tons of Russians play here and love it, we just had the idiot radulov, can we let than sour us on Russians forever??

Mack is gonna be simply awesome IMO.

maplepred is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 11:56 AM
  #355
ilikeblocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
If Lindholm was Canadian, he'd be the sure-fire #1.

ilikeblocks is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 01:50 PM
  #356
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
All of the talk about how we need to tank to get a top pick ignore reality about how those picks tend to perform. Failing for Nail got the same goal scoring this season as Legwand. Nugent-Hopkins .... 22g in 102 GP ... again, very Legwand-esque. That isn't to say those younger players don't have more upside right now, but, their current performance is not a significant upgrade over the perennial whipping boy.

Looking back at the past couple decades of performance ... expecting a point per game player is counting on a rarity. That is what people are actively cheering against a team they claim to be a fan of to get.
So, you wouldn't trade Legwand for RNH? Or Yakupov?

You can't discount future performance. Despite your narrowing of the sample size so it fits your argument, even though Yak/RNH might have similar stats to Legwand this year, you wouldn't find single GM who would trade either one for Legwand.

Go over to the Oil boards and ask about Legwant for RHN or Yakupov straight up, see what happens.

No one is counting on a PPG player guarantee. But the chances of getting one rise exponentially the higher you draft. If you're not in the playoffs, who cares if you finish 18th, 23rd, or 29th?

You ever hear a Blue Jackets fan cheer about where they finished?

Isn't a couple extra meaningless points worth a greater chance at getting a Crosby or Ovechkin type?

Pittsburgh ended up with Crosby by 1 pt. You think those Penguin fans are bummed about losing 1 extra game 7 or 8 years ago?

Hell, you can make a case that the 1 less pt the Pens finished with singlehandedly got them an arena and kept then out of Kansas City.

Yep, that's totally not worth losing one extra game years and years ago.

RaiderDoug is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 02:05 PM
  #357
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
If Lindholm was Canadian, he'd be the sure-fire #1.
Ok...now I'm intrigued. I'd always heard Lindholm was even a bit below Barkov, on the same tier as Monahan. What do you like about him? I haven't done enough research to really know, so I'm curious.

Top 6 Spaling is online now  
Old
04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
  #358
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Hawks- are fine as long as they let one of Stalberg or Bickell go
Bruins- won't re-sign Jagr or Horton, which will get them where they need to be
Flyers- Plan to amnesty one of Briere or Bryzgalov
Canucks- are fine, but can't re-sign Roy. MAY need to trade Ballard.
Habs- can't afford to re-sign Ryder for much(if any) raise, but could also trade broken down Gionta
Wild- is rumored to try to trade Heatley's last year, if not they'll buy him out and be fine.
Pens- won't resign Morrow; will sign Iginla if possible, and if necessary trade Paul Martin

I think a lot is being made of "cap teams making players available," but it's being exaggerated.

As for the draft..big game in Tampa\Carolina tonight. Would love it to go three points, but it should temporarily move us into fourth tonight either way.

I am starting to believe that Carolina is legitimately losing on purpose.

As I've been saying on Twitter...with the Preds not taking Nichushkin, there are only 3 legit "top line" forwards in this draft...Drouin, Mackinnon, Barkov. All three will likely go in the top four, which leaves "good" talent, but not "elite": Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, Erne.

It would be really nice to land in that 3 or 4 spot.


I am trying to ubderstand where your coming from but it makes no sense whatsoever.

Hawks next year right now are 5.8 mil under the cap with who they has signed right now and have and have 16 players under contract.

Canucks have 1.36 mil cap space with 15 players under contract.

Bruins are in a little better shape 16 under contract but only 6 mil to the cap but they have no goal tender signed.

Each of the teams I mentions will have to move significant salary in order to field a 21 player roster. Also all of these numbers are to the top of the salary cap also and most teams will want to stay a mil or two under for a trade deadline pick-up for the playoff run. So there are going to have to be some high dollar players out there this summer.

Signing one of these top six guys will be much more important than the upcoming draft pick. For the team to be competitive next year. The top 4 picks in this draft can be nice additions 4 thru 8 are a step down but still a good bet for success after that its a crap shoot.

If the Preds were lucky enough to win the lottery they have to take Jones or move down a spot or two with a trade select a forward and a pick or a prospect. In that secnerio a move down and a prospect would be the best case for this team. Many are making the case for Wilson-FF-draft pick as the top line next year this will be very risky. Could be a boon or a bust. All one has to do is look at the Oil or Ave's for the downside or the Hawks top line for boon.

One thing is certian this off season should be the most exciting in team history. DP knows the challenges the team has. The question is how is he going to get there

Byrddog is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 02:30 PM
  #359
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
I think we should make a run for Horton in offseason. I think putting a guy with his skill and size/muscle along with FF or Wilson or 2013 top pick would help those players games big time! Horton is a big boy and can create room, plus he had won a cup and would provide leadership. He can also play big offensive game and would be great with Wilson or Foppa. Time will tell though.

Also,
I don't think if Lindholm was Canadian it wouldn't change anything about his rankings, the scouting rankings are not prejudice lol.

maplepred is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 02:33 PM
  #360
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
I think we should make a run for Horton in offseason. I think putting a guy with his skill and size/muscle along with FF or Wilson or 2013 top pick would help those players games big time! Horton is a big boy and can create room, plus he had won a cup and would provide leadership. He can also play big offensive game and would be great with Wilson or Foppa. Time will tell though.

Also,
I don't think if Lindholm was Canadian it wouldn't change anything about his rankings, the scouting rankings are not prejudice lol.
Horton is a guy I would love to get, I just doubt he'd come here. Then again, we can offer him top line minutes.

I started a thread on the prospect board called "Barkov vs Lindholm vs Monahan vs (that Russian guyw whose name I can't spell)" Let's see what the people who spend waaay too much time on this say.

Top 6 Spaling is online now  
Old
04-21-2013, 02:40 PM
  #361
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
So, you wouldn't trade Legwand for RNH? Or Yakupov?

You can't discount future performance. Despite your narrowing of the sample size so it fits your argument, even though Yak/RNH might have similar stats to Legwand this year, you wouldn't find single GM who would trade either one for Legwand.

Go over to the Oil boards and ask about Legwant for RHN or Yakupov straight up, see what happens.

No one is counting on a PPG player guarantee. But the chances of getting one rise exponentially the higher you draft. If you're not in the playoffs, who cares if you finish 18th, 23rd, or 29th?

You ever hear a Blue Jackets fan cheer about where they finished?

Isn't a couple extra meaningless points worth a greater chance at getting a Crosby or Ovechkin type?

Pittsburgh ended up with Crosby by 1 pt. You think those Penguin fans are bummed about losing 1 extra game 7 or 8 years ago?

Hell, you can make a case that the 1 less pt the Pens finished with singlehandedly got them an arena and kept then out of Kansas City.

Yep, that's totally not worth losing one extra game years and years ago.
Pittsburgh sucked for several years ... so did the Hawks ... they weren't the recipients of one early pick that fixed their woes after a lone bad season. As far as future performance, there is no guarantee of it. For all of the expressed desire of immediate impact by whomever we draft, the reality is most early draft picks give very Legwand like performances early on.

Nice hyperbole and supposition about a single point preventing the Pens from moving.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 02:40 PM
  #362
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CantbeatzPekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: gamehendge
Country: Somalia
Posts: 4,087
vCash: 500
if we choose outside the top 3 and miss out on Mackinnon or Drouin, Lindholm is who we should go after. He can skate well, has incredible IQ, is mature, and possesses a great 2 way game to round out his game. I think he will end up being exactly what the preds need. He also isnt a huge risk or a question mark as he will probably be an NHL player soon.

CantbeatzPekka is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 02:44 PM
  #363
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Pittsburgh sucked for several years ... so did the Hawks ... they weren't the recipients of one early pick that fixed their woes after a lone bad season. As far as future performance, there is no guarantee of it. For all of the expressed desire of immediate impact by whomever we draft, the reality is most early draft picks give very Legwand like performances early on.

Nice hyperbole and supposition about a single point preventing the Pens from moving.
No one is expecting whoever we draft to come in and be our savior next year, but adding the right piece that can mature into a top line forward in 3-4 years is key to our organization right now. Of course it isn't a guarantee, but the odds of drafting a top liner form picks 1-5 is a hell of a lot better than 6-10. There's never 100% certainty, all we can do is help the odds.

Oh, and yes, Crosby went a looooooooong way to saving Pittsburgh. It might be a slight exaggeration...but it isnt that far off.

Top 6 Spaling is online now  
Old
04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
  #364
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Pittsburgh sucked for several years ... so did the Hawks ... they weren't the recipients of one early pick that fixed their woes after a lone bad season. As far as future performance, there is no guarantee of it. For all of the expressed desire of immediate impact by whomever we draft, the reality is most early draft picks give very Legwand like performances early on.

Nice hyperbole and supposition about a single point preventing the Pens from moving.
Who cares what they do "early on". You're drafting a guy for about the next decade. Or more. Shea Weber wasn't Shea Weber "early on".

What's with the "early on" obsession? Early on, Dany Heatley scored more than Sidney Crosby. Would you make that trade today?

I don't think it's a stretch to link someone like Crosby to the Pens future in Pittsburgh. Obviously, more goes into it. They had several high picks and some talent on the team. But the fact is, stumbling along finishing 20th year after year and collecting several nice players over and over again would have landed them in Kansas City.

But we've got some talent as well. We've got the world's best defenseman and a top 3 in the NHL goaltender. We don't need next years draft pick to become Sidney Crosby part II from day one.

But if you can get a PPG player, and you're far more likely getting a PPG player drafting in the top 3 than in the 7-9 range. And if we get lucky and get that PPG player, and add it to our worldclass D-man and goalie for the next decade - isn't that better than beating up on another non-playoff team in a lockout shortened season where you're already eliminated?

Again, go to the Pens board, and ask them if they'd trade 10 years of Sidney Crosby for 3 games back in 2005.....

RaiderDoug is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 04:29 PM
  #365
Nothing Is New
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
If Lindholm is that sought after here and we draft fourth, we can probably trade down a couple of spots and he will still be there. All I got to say is, if Nicushkin is somewhere close to Ovechin (and not Filatov) and we don't take him, boo on us. Most of all, for whatever reason, I don't want another d-man.

Nothing Is New is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 04:44 PM
  #366
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
If Lindholm is that sought after here and we draft fourth, we can probably trade down a couple of spots and he will still be there. All I got to say is, if Nicushkin is somewhere close to Ovechin (and not Filatov) and we don't take him, boo on us. Most of all, for whatever reason, I don't want another d-man.
That's what I'm saying too. If be is available we can't really pass on him. He has phenomal skills and is rated up there with drouin and mackinnon. He wants to play in NHL so I don't think it's a big deal.

We cannot continue to allow radulov experience to cripple the club in a way that we stereotype all Russians.

maplepred is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 05:13 PM
  #367
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
That's what I'm saying too. If be is available we can't really pass on him. He has phenomal skills and is rated up there with drouin and mackinnon. He wants to play in NHL so I don't think it's a big deal.

We cannot continue to allow radulov experience to cripple the club in a way that we stereotype all Russians.
Isn't he playing in the KHL right now though? I think that--more than the simple fact that he's Russian--is what makes people leery. It would look better if he demonstrated his desire to play in North America by coming over here to play junior hockey. Then again, that's what Radulov did and we all know how that worked out...

AEM6729 is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 05:21 PM
  #368
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
if we choose outside the top 3 and miss out on Mackinnon or Drouin, Lindholm is who we should go after. He can skate well, has incredible IQ, is mature, and possesses a great 2 way game to round out his game. I think he will end up being exactly what the preds need. He also isnt a huge risk or a question mark as he will probably be an NHL player soon.
Lindholm is a full notch below Barkov. He's a second line center. I'd actually put Monahan a bit ahead of Lindholm as well.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 05:24 PM
  #369
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Horton is a guy I would love to get, I just doubt he'd come here. Then again, we can offer him top line minutes.

I started a thread on the prospect board called "Barkov vs Lindholm vs Monahan vs (that Russian guyw whose name I can't spell)" Let's see what the people who spend waaay too much time on this say.
I am one of those people. Excluding Nicushkin, Barkov (and the skating\surgery concerns are bunk, btw) is in a different class than Lindholm(who wouldn't be number 1 no matter what, his upside is high end second liner).

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 05:43 PM
  #370
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I am one of those people. Excluding Nicushkin, Barkov (and the skating\surgery concerns are bunk, btw) is in a different class than Lindholm(who wouldn't be number 1 no matter what, his upside is high end second liner).
Barkov is better defensively and has better size. But you think he is better offensively as well?? Which is main thing we should be looking for this draft.

maplepred is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
  #371
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Who cares what they do "early on". You're drafting a guy for about the next decade. Or more. Shea Weber wasn't Shea Weber "early on".

What's with the "early on" obsession? Early on, Dany Heatley scored more than Sidney Crosby. Would you make that trade today?

I don't think it's a stretch to link someone like Crosby to the Pens future in Pittsburgh. Obviously, more goes into it. They had several high picks and some talent on the team. But the fact is, stumbling along finishing 20th year after year and collecting several nice players over and over again would have landed them in Kansas City.

But we've got some talent as well. We've got the world's best defenseman and a top 3 in the NHL goaltender. We don't need next years draft pick to become Sidney Crosby part II from day one.

But if you can get a PPG player, and you're far more likely getting a PPG player drafting in the top 3 than in the 7-9 range. And if we get lucky and get that PPG player, and add it to our worldclass D-man and goalie for the next decade - isn't that better than beating up on another non-playoff team in a lockout shortened season where you're already eliminated?

Again, go to the Pens board, and ask them if they'd trade 10 years of Sidney Crosby for 3 games back in 2005.....
What team had three games in 2005 before the draft?

Crosby was the fourth of five top five picks for the Pens in a row ... #5, #1, #2, #1, #2 ... another pesky fact that gets ignored here. They sucked for years, as did the Hawks who had 3 top 3 picks in four years with a #7 overall breaking that streak ... while sucking. Sorry if I don't buy into the delusion that some kid will magically fit into the top line this fall according to numerous posts as the rationalization for hoping my team loses.

Rationalize away all you want. You are hoping a team you claim to be a fan of loses ... complaining about any loss is now hypocritical.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 06:51 PM
  #372
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
What team had three games in 2005 before the draft?

Crosby was the fourth of five top five picks for the Pens in a row ... #5, #1, #2, #1, #2 ... another pesky fact that gets ignored here. They sucked for years, as did the Hawks who had 3 top 3 picks in four years with a #7 overall breaking that streak ... while sucking. Sorry if I don't buy into the delusion that some kid will magically fit into the top line this fall according to numerous posts as the rationalization for hoping my team loses.

Rationalize away all you want. You are hoping a team you claim to be a fan of loses ... complaining about any loss is now hypocritical.
The Pens landed the Crosby pick by 1 pt. Winning one single game, not just 3 would have landed them Bobby Ryan, instead of Crosby. Do you think Pens fans would have rather won an extra game 7 years ago and gotten Ryan or lost that game and gotten Crosby.

Pittsburgh and Chicago won cups based on talent gained in several drafts. We don't need that. We have world class talent at several positions.

No one is saying the kid needs to fit into the top line next October. It's a gamble that hopefully pays dividends for a decade or more.

What is the benefit for this franchise finishing 23rd in the league vs 29th? There is none. Not one. But finishing 29th will give this franchise a chance to select a player who's likely to have game changing talent.

As far as complaining about any loss, there's a context that applies. Once you're out of the playoffs, it's better for a franchise to land a higher pick.

RaiderDoug is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 07:42 PM
  #373
maplepred
Registered User
 
maplepred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 500
I'm not cheering for preds to lose, I'm cheering for others to win! Lol

Calgary and Carolina both just won!! Now go Colorado!!

maplepred is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 07:53 PM
  #374
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 17,480
vCash: 500
Mes too!

triggrman is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 09:14 PM
  #375
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,289
vCash: 500
I am 100% fine with people who are still cheering for us to win. I understand where they are coming from and admire their dedication to winning.

What I am not fine with is people attacking those of us who are rooting for what we believe is best for our franchise. Criticize the viewpoint all you want, but don't attack us as "not real fans" or whatever.

Top 6 Spaling is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.