HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

Old
04-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
So which draft pick is playing with a Labrum tear? So we know who the Oilers are drafting.

Taking bets that Yakupov comes back faster from his Labrum tear surgery next year than RNH will this year!
We should be getting really good at rehabbing them!

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:39 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
So which draft pick is playing with a Labrum tear? So we know who the Oilers are drafting.

Taking bets that Yakupov comes back faster from his Labrum tear surgery next year than RNH will this year!
Barkov is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury right now.

Perfect fit.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:40 PM
GMofOilers

Awesome
Quote:
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 21s
RNH camp is confident after speaking with doctors that his damage isn't that severe and his recovery will be straight forward. #Oilers

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:42 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Well, I guess the cat is out of the see-through bag.

I'm happy that it's done.

Like others have said, this is the season where you should just get the surgery and not wait.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:43 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Barkov is out indefinitely with a shoulder injury right now.

Perfect fit.
Works for me.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:44 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Yes development of him is important, which is why you don't needlessly kill an entire season for him. Nuge playing in games is more important for him, and the rest of the team, than is improving his bench press in the offseason.
I understand that surgery is a last resort and it's important to play him but this is not some injury that just propped up out of nowhere. Forget the rumors that he has been playing with this injury since junior. He clearly injured (re-aggravated) the shoulder against Chicago last season, that already pretty much cost him the rest of that season (was never the same when he came back). He then re-aggravated it AGAIN around WJC time and had bouts with discomfort all throughout the season. How could they not recognize this as a problem? A lot us armchair GMs were calling for him to get the surgery back in January, how could we know this and not them?

For an already physically underdevloped player, this should have been nipped in the bud immediately after the WJC when he re-aggravated it for the upteenth time. I'm sure the option of surgery was staring them right in the face at that point but no, they wanted all decks on hand to attempt to make a playoff run with a flawed roster, i guess that was more important than getting him fixed.
Hall got his surgery a little later than Nuge and only started to skate with full contact in December i believe? So where does that leave RNH? It's likely going to derail a good chunk of next season as well plus as i said before, set back his upper body training as well.

Of course, this is all speculation but it reeks of faulty management yet again, it reeks real bad. There is a track record to back this up.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Can somebody please tell me why he didn't get this done earlier when it was patently obvious that he needed it? Another massive failure by the Oilers.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:51 PM
DousedInOil

Top 5 pick here we come!

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:52 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Can somebody please tell me why he didn't get this done earlier when it was patently obvious that he needed it? Another massive failure by the Oilers.
Up to the doctors.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:53 PM
#ualberta

This is a good thing
Hopefully he comes back next year and plays better then ever like Hall
I can't remember if this is the same shoulder problem Hall had a year ago

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:55 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Go back and look at what I said in post 70. That an injury left untreated begats other injury.

Its obvious in this that RNH all along had been getting the shoulder dinged and it was impacting him. Its obvious that this was flaring up due to ongoing insult to injury.

A shoulder doesn't have to be seperated for it to spur further injury. In a vicious contact sport like hockey it should be obvious that any shoulder injury is going to put the player in a vulnerable position of risking much further injury.

In a sense turning a small kid out there with one arm tied behind his back playing with killers and telling him "play safe" is a recipe for ensuing disaster.
Small one armed kid playing against killers and still on par for a 50 point 82 game season

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Small one armed kid playing against killers and still on par for a 50 point 82 game season
A fire hydrant would get pts playing on one of the leagues best PP's and with getting all his minutes with Hall and Eberle.

Not to mention that for much of the season RNH production, even with who he was playing with slipped below .5ppg.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Rawg
CEM

Labrum tears are easily play through-able, Didnt hall have this same issue and there was times he said it was from junior or something?

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
People rag on the organization but in their shoes would probably do the same thing. Doc says surgery is likely needed but the player isn't in danger, he will just have to play through the discomfort. You are in a playoff race and would send your #1 centre for a surgery when it isn't required to have yet? I'm not betting on it. Just because a guy is hurting doesn't mean you have to shut him down. Pro athletes play through pain and injury all the time, it comes with the territory. Now that the team is out, he goes for surgery. I probably would have done it a week ago or something but w/e.
Unfortunately, your making too much sense. The thread would stop right here if people would stop the craziness.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:08 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Up to the doctors.
No, it's not. The doctors make recommendations based upon their body of knowledge. It is always up to the patient on what course of action to take (provided that it doesn't require an undue amount of resources for minimal benefit).

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:10 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:

I don't think Yak will have the problem. More naturally strong.
Nuge flys down the ice and gets smashed into the boards but gets by anyway and makes the play.
Hall flys down the ice and gets smashed into the boards but gets by anyway and makes the play.
Yak flys down the ice and smashes into anybody that gets in the way and gets by anyway.

Big difference.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:13 PM
oilWILDcountry

It was really obvious he was playing injured. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that RNH was injured and was going to have surgery in the off season, but I guess with the way we've been losing, they just decided to do it earlier.

Hoping for a fast and complete recovery!

oilWILDcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:15 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Any indication why this wasn't done last year when we were ******** 29th place??

God this organization

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:17 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola1279 View Post
While we are not privy to what happens with injured players I firmly believe this organization's track records in regards to this is poor at best. He has not played well this season at times and there have been games where it seemed like he was favouring his shoulder after getting hit.
which is why people have been saying for two months they should sit him and get his shoulder fixed.
he was completely useless in the offensive zone this year. why not admit he's hurt and shut him down?
garbage that they let it go so long. I don't know who the oielrs have for doctors, but if I played for them and got hurt, I wouldn't let a team doctor come near me. f

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:18 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Nice asset management on your franchise #1 center guys.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
It'll be interesting to see how Mac T reacts in the off season. I think he pretty much has to pick up another centre now, and trading away Gagner is a lot less likely. If they want to add size to the top 6, it pretty much has to be a left winger.
I'm sure he knew this before so I doubt this changes any plans he originally had

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Oh ****, the idiot money quote.

Looks like the positivity sunshine lollipops crew thought this team ever was legitimately in a playoff race this year and so thus stalled the surgery this long. wow just wow.
So you mean they weren't trying to tank? They are just morons? No that can't be it.

Biggest ****show in North American pro sports.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:21 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I'd confirmed this injury through a source months ago, but after discussion with BBO via PM's, we'd made the decision not to talk about it on the forum while he was playing this season (just to avoid it being wide-spread knowledge that he was injured).

But it's a similar injury to the one Horcoff was playing with in 2007-2008 in his All-Star year before he went down. In his case he was never really the same after that injury/surgery.

I'm not as worried for RNH however, as his frame and physical maturity aren't at the stage Horcoff's was at the injury time, and his recovery should go more smooth and get him back to baseline.

Either way, pretty major surgery that would have otherwise shut him down for the season if done at any point this season.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
A fire hydrant would get pts playing on one of the leagues best PP's and with getting all his minutes with Hall and Eberle.

Not to mention that for much of the season RNH production, even with who he was playing with slipped below .5ppg.
Are you seriously ragging on Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:25 PM
ales83fan

Hope we signed for that surgeon's loyalty program! "Buy 6 shoulder surgeries, the next one's on us!"

With the way this team is managed though, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't take advantage of this deal...

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote