HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

Old
04-21-2013, 02:26 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
queue the injury prone brigade

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Frustrating that it was apparent he has had an injury problem since the world juniors and they wait until now to get it treated. Now you potentially jeapordize the start of next season.
Nice try IMO, he had it since last season IMO. He wasn't the same player after he returned from his initial shoulder injury and like Hall he tried to play through it.

04-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Can somebody please tell me why he didn't get this done earlier when it was patently obvious that he needed it? Another massive failure by the Oilers.
We have alot of Doctors here that apparantly have examined Hopkins .You appear to be one of them.
So Im sure you will get a very good answer.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:31 PM
special blend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
Labrum tears are the single most common injuries in junior hockey players. When I worked in Junior A approximately 1/3 of every roster struggled with labrum strain throughout the season. In major junior I have heard these percentages to be even higher.

No surprise that this came from his junior days. I would guess a slight guy like RNH has been dealing with this type of injury well before anyone understands.

Labrum tears are nearly impossible to see on an MRI and are commonly treated with therapy for long periods time before the nagging pain causes a lack of mobility. The truth is, if you're not an athlete a labrum tear would almost never need surgery.

In RNHs case I think this is a perfect scenario for him. He was able to play basically a full season and increase overall muscle mass. Most people don't realize that these injuries can actually help overall shoulder strength. In order to maintain range of motion with a labrum tear you actually need to increase surrounding muscles. HE will be stronger overall because of this.

As for recover time, I would guess 3 months before he's shooting and then probably another month before he is completely recovered for physical contact. Not sure where there puts him for the start of the season but I can't seeing him missing more than a handful of games. That is, if they even do surgery at all.
Thanks for your post.

special blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:32 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Nice try IMO, he had it since last season IMO. He wasn't the same player after he returned from his initial shoulder injury and like Hall he tried to play through it.
Yeah we were talking about this at the world juniors. He hasn't been the same since the injury last season.

They say its unrelated but you have to wonder

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:35 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

To reiterate: This is not the same injury Hall was playing through. It's one that is a nagging injury for a long time, which in RNH's case got badly aggravated early on this season.

Medical opinion was that the decision to continue playing was up to the player - but to return to full function the injury would require surgery at some point.

It's an injury that could have been worsened with more aggravation over the course of the season. And post-op prognosis would have been worsened as well if the injury had been more severely aggravated as well.

Kind of a medium-sized risk for the Oilers to take on him playing this season given that kind of context.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Oilers "Didn't even consider" sending RNH for surgery while team was still in playoff race. - Krueger.
- via Spector's Twitter.

That's nice... except you were out of the playoff race roughly two weeks ago.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:39 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@dantencer: RNH said it stems back to his 2nd year of junior...it's like a duplicate of the Hall story. Same injury stemming from junior.
Different injury type than Hall. But definitely a possibility that it's been bugging him since junior.

After the aggravation early on this season (?VAN game) he was having some difficulty with basic movements with the arm, but it quickly came back to a point he was able to play.

But his strength doing certain movements/motions was severely compromised, and continues to be at this point as well.

For someone whose game relies on intricate finesse movements, it had a huge effect this season.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:42 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Are you seriously ragging on Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?
Are you seriously surprised?

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
- via Spector's Twitter.

That's nice... except you were out of the playoff race roughly two weeks ago.
So Dr. Moonlapse. Can you enlighten me on the recovery time, just to confirm that whether he gets the surgery 10 days ago or tomorrow it really matters.
Thanks

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:46 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
To reiterate: This is not the same injury Hall was playing through. It's one that is a nagging injury for a long time, which in RNH's case got badly aggravated early on this season.

Medical opinion was that the decision to continue playing was up to the player - but to return to full function the injury would require surgery at some point.

It's an injury that could have been worsened with more aggravation over the course of the season. And post-op prognosis would have been worsened as well if the injury had been more severely aggravated as well.

Kind of a medium-sized risk for the Oilers to take on him playing this season given that kind of context.
Medium sized risk? No such thing as a medium sized risk when talking about the health of your #1C. And an injury that can only get worse unless the inevitable surgery occurs.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
I'd confirmed this injury through a source months ago, but after discussion with BBO via PM's, we'd made the decision not to talk about it on the forum while he was playing this season (just to avoid it being wide-spread knowledge that he was injured).

But it's a similar injury to the one Horcoff was playing with in 2007-2008 in his All-Star year before he went down. In his case he was never really the same after that injury/surgery.

I'm not as worried for RNH however, as his frame and physical maturity aren't at the stage Horcoff's was at the injury time, and his recovery should go more smooth and get him back to baseline.

Either way, pretty major surgery that would have otherwise shut him down for the season if done at any point this season.
Yup, I can confirm this, I didn't want it out there in the event that other teams players, management, etc., read the board and read that and targeted the shoulder in the games.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Rains

Geeze isn't everyone so glad we waited so long ?? I sure can see why, all his goals this year have really helped get us to the playoffs. Idiots!!

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Yeah we were talking about this at the world juniors. He hasn't been the same since the injury last season.

They say its unrelated but you have to wonder
Yeah I guess now the cats out of the bag that it went back to juniors (whose the source on that?). It seemed like last year it bothered him and for the most part this season he didn't have much zip on his shot and he was unable to make a lot of his trademarked passes at angles that most players only dream of.

Quote:
Different injury type than Hall. But definitely a possibility that it's been bugging him since junior.

After the aggravation early on this season (?VAN game) he was having some difficulty with basic movements with the arm, but it quickly came back to a point he was able to play.

But his strength doing certain movements/motions was severely compromised, and continues to be at this point as well.

For someone whose game relies on intricate finesse movements, it had a huge effect this season.
It was aggravated before the WJC's or at least it was a concern, that is why he flew to Edm. to check it out. As to the bolded, bingo, anyone that knew this kids game knew that he was hurt out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Medium sized risk? No such thing as a medium sized risk when talking about the health of your #1C. And an injury that can only get worse unless the inevitable surgery occurs.
Yeah no doubt, I wonder how much of this is the player not wanting to have surgery? The same with Hall and other players in years past?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
So now RNH doesn't get to work on his game or building strength the entire offseason. This was very poorly handled by management.

How many of us actually thought we were going to be making the playoffs this year? We were all hopeful for a very short time, but it was still unrealistic. It seems obvious to me that it would have been much smarter to get this surgery over with this season, then give him a chance to prepare himself for next year. For a guy like RNH, offseason training is crucial in his development.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

This must be the darkest timeline.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:06 PM
MetaOil1993

Should have happened a long time ago. Hopefully we comes back healthy next year, We are going to need him to do anything next year.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:08 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
at least it's being dealt with...

04-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Are you seriously surprised?
If he is--yeah, I am. I'm wondering though if Replacement is not ragging on management, but it sure doesn't read like it. Just to be clear, RNH is a ****ing gem, so, yeah, I think it's completely foolish to rag on a player who will quite conceivably become the best player on the team. His on-ice vision is on a different level altogether.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Perfect_Drug

Cleveland?

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:18 PM
#ualberta

@JasonGregor: Early prognosis is that RNH recovery is 4 to 6 months. Of course no one will know how his body reacts, but could be ready for season opener.

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:19 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Amazing they had him playing through this. It was so obvious to.

Hope he gets fixed up and is fully healthy to start next season.

But it is a huge blow to his development, he won't be able to bulk up this summer and he really needed to hit the gym. Terrible, horrible, pathetic management.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:24 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Amazing they had him playing through this. It was so obvious to.

Hope he gets fixed up and is fully healthy to start next season.

But it is a huge blow to his development, he won't be able to bulk up this summer and he really needed to hit the gym. Terrible, horrible, pathetic management.
Every one is making too big of a deal about this. As long as he is back for the start of next year.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:25 PM
armandh01

I am still trying to understand the logic of some people where they think him playing against no teams in the off season is more of a hit on his development than it would have been if he had gotten his surgery earlier (couple of months ago) and played against no teams at all for a much longer period of time.

Oilers management can't force someone to play if they are injured, it is an individual choice.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:26 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
Rays of optimism:

- At some point, this absolutely had to happen. Now he's getting it out of the way early in his career and if his surgery goes as well as Hall's we won't have to even think about this ever again.
- If MacT was involved in this situation, then I'm glad to see that at least this particular member of the old boys club is mentally competent, that's good to see from a new GM.
- Despite his lack of scoring, Nuge was still racking up assists fast enough to be on a nearly 50 point pace in a full season. Clearly his super human vision and hockey sense have not been lost, and gives us a lot to look forward too when he's healthy enough to shoot again. Remember his snipe on lundqvist near the start of last season? Cearly he can shoot a hell of a lot better when his shoulder is in one piece.
- This may have been what forced him to improve other areas of his game so much. By having to focus on his defensive responsabilities more this season (with great success) he will become a far more complete player than he was before, as well the Hall-RNH-Ebs line will benefit from that greatly now that one of them is defensively responsible.
- Not quite as excited about this aspect, but this will all but guarantee that we will be in position to draft a good player this year. I'd rather they learn to win games, but at very least we should be able to get our hands on Monahan or Nurse. Who knows, we may even be high enough to snatch up Barkov.

So in conclusion, this sucks, but next year we'll have Nuge at full strength again, a more defensively responsible first line, and another solid draft pick in the system.
Thanks for the positive outlook. Everyone else would rather pile on Mgmt and profess to know better than RNH and everyone else involved in the decision. They decided to wait and do it now so everyone should just get over it and wish RNH a full and speedy recovery. But no, here's another chance to dump on the organization so let's pile it on.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote