HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Laughton to Edmonton

Old
04-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
-Laughton = Leighton
-Laughton is a nutrigrain bar
-Martin Marincin is first pairing defenseman
Wait, I thought Laughton was a fruit rollup? Isn't Marincin the Nutrigrain bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
there is more then one leighton and it was not mentioned in the OP who the frack he was talking about
The funny thing is, you presumably took the time to look up Leighton's age and contract status--unless you had it committed to memory?

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-21-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:13 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
You've really diminished this by leaving out the Klefbom = fruit roll-up.
It is probably best for all of us if we do not question how he (???) knows the nutritional value of each...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:21 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
On HFBoards opposite rule exists... the angrier HFOilers fans get the closer it is... I did not understand what MacT was smoking when he said half the GMs in the NHL would trade our roster for theirs... but then I read here and it is obvious he has been indulging in strongest drug of all: Internet homerism... like this...

This belongs up there with that person who said Schremp would get 1500 points or whatever in his career... we will be lucky if Marincin is #4 D... never mind a top pairing (well I guess on the Oilers that criteria is looser)

There are likely several people on this board indulging in something or other at the moment. I think your posts have removed all doubts to the identity of one of them.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:07 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
What a horrible analogy, fruit roll ups suck. Almost as much as your "let's chastise an entire fanbase" post. Which is completely off base, because:

1) Klefbom for Laughton is not an even value swap for the Oilers. We have two top six centers already. We need to upgrade one, but Laughton isn't an upgrade. We have 1 potential number one d-man on our team, and 1 potential number one d-man in the system. Trading one of our two potential number one d-men (when we have no actual number one d-men) for a top six center that we already have is dumb, makes no sense for the Oilers, hence, its not an even value trade. To the Oilers, based on need as well as performance, Klefbom > Laughton, so what you're asking for isn't a 1 for 1 swap, its for us to bend over and take it on a trade.

2) I don't think you understand how good Marincin actually is. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a top pair d-man in a couple of years. He's that good. He certainly isn't some "lesser snack" than Laughton, at least not in terms of upside. The difference is that Laughton is closer to being ready.
Ok first of all, by saying that fruit rollups suck you admit that you dont know anything about anything and lived probably what was a very empty and lonely childhood filled with granola bars and boxes of raisins for school snacks. Like wow, fruit rollups were what every kid hoped to see in their lunch. Jesus..."fruit rollups suck"

But just to humour you, here:

1) I dont care if you dont think Klefbom for Laughton is even value. Laughton projects to be the exact thing every Oiler fan and their mother wants to send Gagner packing for--a 2-way centre that can do a bit of everything. Why half of Edmonton wants to get rid of Gagner is beyond me. Anyways, you're entirely wrong when you say Laughton for Klefbom isn't fair value. Maybe in your homer head it isn't, but to an unbiased fan of the game like me, sure it is. Maybe add a 7th to Laughton. It's not "bending over and taking it". I like SchultzSquared, know why? Because he's objective and not an abject homer like you.

2) I am aware of the type and quality of player that Marincin is. Ive seen him several times when OKC plays the Marlies. I would not trade Scott Laughton for Martin Marincin. The only folks who would are Oiler fans. Marincin is decent but prospects like him hold little value. He certainly is a lesser snack. He's like Dunkaroos, decent but depending on the flavour. He's like those gross cinnamon Dunkaroos. Laughton is still a fruit rollup, and no sane kid is trading a fruit rollup for anything less than a flavour of fruit rollups they prefer (ie, Klefbom)

Im sorry you disagree with me. But you're just wrong. Doesn't like fruit rollups jesus christ...

VoicexOfxReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:17 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Ok first of all, by saying that fruit rollups suck you admit that you dont know anything about anything and lived probably what was a very empty and lonely childhood filled with granola bars and boxes of raisins for school snacks. Like wow, fruit rollups were what every kid hoped to see in their lunch. Jesus..."fruit rollups suck"

But just to humour you, here:

1) I dont care if you dont think Klefbom for Laughton is even value. Laughton projects to be the exact thing every Oiler fan and their mother wants to send Gagner packing for--a 2-way centre that can do a bit of everything. Why half of Edmonton wants to get rid of Gagner is beyond me. Anyways, you're entirely wrong when you say Laughton for Klefbom isn't fair value. Maybe in your homer head it isn't, but to an unbiased fan of the game like me, sure it is. Maybe add a 7th to Laughton. It's not "bending over and taking it". I like SchultzSquared, know why? Because he's objective and not an abject homer like you.

2) I am aware of the type and quality of player that Marincin is. Ive seen him several times when OKC plays the Marlies. I would not trade Scott Laughton for Martin Marincin. The only folks who would are Oiler fans. Marincin is decent but prospects like him hold little value. He certainly is a lesser snack. He's like Dunkaroos, decent but depending on the flavour. He's like those gross cinnamon Dunkaroos. Laughton is still a fruit rollup, and no sane kid is trading a fruit rollup for anything less than a flavour of fruit rollups they prefer (ie, Klefbom)

Im sorry you disagree with me. But you're just wrong. Doesn't like fruit rollups jesus christ...

Aaaaannnnddd......another has been identified!

Old
04-21-2013, 03:22 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Another what? Person who doesn't put Edmonton prospects on a pedestal like most of your fanbase does? Go ahead and put me on ignore then. It still wont change the fact that Marincin isn't worth Laughton.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
There are likely several people on this board indulging in something or other at the moment. I think your posts have removed all doubts to the identity of one of them.
Quote:
I've read these posts, in context, three times.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:26 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Dear God this thread is amazing

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:30 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
I've read these posts, in context, three times.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I hear Laperriere has some unidentified sources who may be able to help you out

Old
04-21-2013, 03:33 PM
TS Quint

Oiler fans are crazy about their prospects. Have you guys seen your drafting history? Do you know why you are where you are right now? Its because the Oilers (maybe the Flames) are the WORST drafting team in the league. Yes you got your 1st overall picks but I could have picked those guys. The reason the Oilers are where they are is the Oilers couldn't pick a NHL player outside the first round to save their lives.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Yes. I live in Mississauga, cheer for the Leafs, and am unbiased towards this trade. I must be a Philly fan. Give your head a shake.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:42 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
Oiler fans are crazy about their prospects. Have you guys seen your drafting history? Do you know why you are where you are right now? Its because the Oilers (maybe the Flames) are the WORST drafting team in the league. Yes you got your 1st overall picks but I could have picked those guys. The reason the Oilers are where they are is the Oilers couldn't pick a NHL player outside the first round to save their lives.

you may want to rethink this....http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...-last-10-years

Old
04-21-2013, 03:49 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Yes. I live in Mississauga, cheer for the Leafs, and am unbiased towards this trade. I must be a Philly fan. Give your head a shake.
That comment was not directed towards you but thanks for further reinforcing my previous assertation

Old
04-21-2013, 03:52 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
While I think the poster was a bit off base (some of the Oilers 2nd round picks look quite promising, and they found late-round prospects in Gernat and Hartikainen) that article probably doesn't represent your best rebuttal--it lists 5 notable prospects, and all of them were 1st round picks...

Old
04-21-2013, 03:52 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
there is more then one leighton and it was not mentioned in the OP who the frack he was talking about
Say what...???

This thread is about a proposal involving one guy named Laughton, not Leighton. I hope you see the difference now.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:53 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
Yea, in the past. Drafting outside the first round almost always has a time-delay on results.

You're citing terrible drafting in the past and applying it to players taken in the Stu MacGregor era, which have routinely been cited by non-Oilers experts as being solid picks. Klefbom was touted as the steal of the draft by Redline right after he was taken. He hasn't regressed at all

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Sorry, that's still not helpful.

I take it that either 1) you don't believe that anonymous NHL scouts told Laperriere that they were extraordinarily high on Laughton, or 2) you think those scouts did say that, but that they were wrong.

Anyway, we get it. You don't like Laughton, or really like Klefbom, or don't think Laughton fits the teams needs, or don't think the team has any needs, etc.

This is the problem with "Value of" threads--posters who don't actually value a player at all tend to disrupt the discussion. It seems that the value of Laughton to Edmonton is somewhere between Marincin or Musil (some EDM fans) and Klefbom (Flyers fans and most neutrals).

Old
04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
17th out of 30 teams? This doesn't help your case at all, it proves Edmonton is a bottom tier drafting team.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:03 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
That comment was not directed towards you but thanks for further reinforcing my previous assertation
I didnt reinforce anything and you dont have a previous assertion (not assertation) that makes sense.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:06 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
While I think the poster was a bit off base (some of the Oilers 2nd round picks look quite promising, and they found late-round prospects in Gernat and Hartikainen) that article probably doesn't represent your best rebuttal--it lists 5 notable prospects, and all of them were 1st round picks...
It lists 5 or 12 NHL players. The point is they are nowhere near as bad as my friend tried to point out. That put them right around middle of the pack. Nothing to brag about but nowhere near bottom of the heap. I think the study supports this.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:07 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
I didnt reinforce anything and you dont have a previous assertion (not assertation) that makes sense.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:21 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

There there Klimas it's ok. I would offer you a fruit rollup to make you feel better but you probably want a nutrigrain bar instead.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:22 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
17th out of 30 teams? This doesn't help your case at all, it proves Edmonton is a bottom tier drafting team.

Bwhahaha.... maybe if bottom tier is half the league. They are middle and nowhere near dead last as you try to point out. .....back to the old drawing board.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
He said anything outside the first round, all the notable picks have are first round picks.

His argument is valid.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Jray42

vCash: 86
This thread = win

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote