HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone Have Newsw On Orts?

Old
09-04-2006, 09:14 AM
mikesect424

vCash: 500
Anyone Have Newsw On Orts?

Haven't heard how he's doing. Did you guys hear anything?

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 10:14 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesect424 View Post
Haven't heard how he's doing. Did you guys hear anything?
Sounds to me as if he's done already this season and maybe forever MIke. His treatment calls for him at least for 6 months to be on blood thinners and contact sports are out.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

That sucks to hear . I sure am going to miss his hustle.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 12:26 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Don't doubt the fight in Orts. He loves the game and he will be back.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 12:27 PM
mikesect424

I genuinely feel bad to hear this. I hope he can recover. Guys like Jed are what's stiil right about sports in general. Always giving your best even though you may not be the most talented guy out there. He's an athlete you'd actually want your kids to look up to. We should all wish him good luck and hope for a full recovery.

mikesect424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 01:03 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Sounds to me as if he's done already this season and maybe forever MIke. His treatment calls for him at least for 6 months to be on blood thinners and contact sports are out.
What is your source for this?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 01:52 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
What is your source for this?

It's kind of old news. Go to blueshirt bulletin and scroll down to the middle of August--the stories are still there.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

August 14, 15, 16. Look in the messages too. Physicians were offering their opinions. That is pretty much what I've based that rather gloomy assessment of mine on.

Old
09-04-2006, 04:05 PM
shoothepuck

If the normal course of treatment for an embolism is 6 months, and Jed was diagnosed with one on August/06, then it's safe to say that he wouldn't even be able to begin training, until at least January/07. This is assuming all goes well and he is medically able to resume playing. Most likely he's done for the season. One would hope he recovers and can return to play in the future.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2006, 05:09 PM
eco's bones

To go further I believe it was posted here by somebody that this is his second one. He had another when he was at Michigan U. and it is a career threatening situation because the possiblity exists that he'll be on blood thinners a lot longer than the 6 months. It's not good and all anybody can do is wish him luck and hopefully he'll be able to resume his career.

Old
09-05-2006, 11:21 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
It's kind of old news. Go to blueshirt bulletin and scroll down to the middle of August--the stories are still there.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

August 14, 15, 16. Look in the messages too. Physicians were offering their opinions. That is pretty much what I've based that rather gloomy assessment of mine on.
None of the articles you noted have confirmed that Ortmeyer is being treated with blood thinners. And while several physicians were quoted (as well as nunmerous medical web sites), the fact is that not all pulminary embolisms are treated the same way. Depending on the severity, suspected cause and numerous other reasons they can be treated in a number of ways ranging from blood thinners (warfin is the most common, heparin can be given by injection) to rest and no medication. If he is on blood thinners, 6 months, no question. If not, then the decision could be completely different. The Rangers certainly know this by now but there has been no definitive communication which may indicate that a) he is done for (most of) the year and b) they maying be looking to institute plan B before the news becomes public.

Old
09-06-2006, 01:04 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
None of the articles you noted have confirmed that Ortmeyer is being treated with blood thinners. And while several physicians were quoted (as well as nunmerous medical web sites), the fact is that not all pulminary embolisms are treated the same way. Depending on the severity, suspected cause and numerous other reasons they can be treated in a number of ways ranging from blood thinners (warfin is the most common, heparin can be given by injection) to rest and no medication. If he is on blood thinners, 6 months, no question. If not, then the decision could be completely different. The Rangers certainly know this by now but there has been no definitive communication which may indicate that a) he is done for (most of) the year and b) they maying be looking to institute plan B before the news becomes public.
Did Dmitry Yeskevich had this when he was with the Leafs???? Im sure he had some type of blood clot injury.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 01:26 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
From reading all that plus everything else at the time that was pretty much my conclusion (and I'm hardly an expert) but maybe you're right time will tell. Can't say your comment leaves me much more optimistic though. If this really is his second bout you'd have to wonder. If I remember correctly if he does go on blood thinners the 6 month period is the minimal treatment--that it may be much longer which is why the potential is that it is career threatening.

Old
09-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Fish

Here's an article then

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p...609060369/1108

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 07:50 AM
92hatchattack

Man poor Orts. I wish there was a way for us guys to reach out to him. He really meant alot to us. His hustle, his character..... I trully feel his presence will be missed on the ice.

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 08:00 AM
in the hall

apparently last night on MSG they said he won't be cleared to play until December

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 09:41 AM
92hatchattack

It would be awesome to see him back at all this season. I just hope matters dont get worse back out on the ice for him. Id rather never see him play again then watch him die on the ice.

Old
09-06-2006, 09:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Here's a story about Orts from MSG Network:

http://msgnetwork.com/content_news.j...ers&league=nhl

09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Here's a story about Orts from MSG Network:

http://msgnetwork.com/content_news.j...ers&league=nhl
Good article. Cant wait to see him back on the ice come December.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 12:57 PM
92hatchattack

^^^ Agreed! If anyone has the passion to make it back, its him.

Old
09-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Hope he gets back in december, he is basically what this team should embody, hard work, game in and game out! Hope he gets better soon,and is back in dec 100%.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 03:05 PM
eco's bones

Well hopefully he's right and my hunch is wrong. Sounds as though if he's right he'll maybe need a few weeks and a trip maybe to Hartford to get back in game shape.

Old
09-06-2006, 06:33 PM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Ortmeyer!

Hey, http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=2245, in this it says that orty took place in drills. does this mean hes still otu for a while? or is he just getting is conditioning down?

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
Hey, http://www.newyorkrangers.com/pressb...es.asp?id=2245, in this it says that orty took place in drills. does this mean hes still otu for a while? or is he just getting is conditioning down?
He can practice, it's contact that is a problem while he's on blood thinners.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2006, 12:21 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
From reading all that plus everything else at the time that was pretty much my conclusion (and I'm hardly an expert) but maybe you're right time will tell. Can't say your comment leaves me much more optimistic though. If this really is his second bout you'd have to wonder. If I remember correctly if he does go on blood thinners the 6 month period is the minimal treatment--that it may be much longer which is why the potential is that it is career threatening.
Blood thinners are like most medicine -- doctors prefer to get you off as soon as they can. My wife (who is a medical professional) has had three episodes with blood clots and the doctors always wanted to get her well and then get her off the medicine. Thankfully, she has not had a relapse for over 20 years. If Ortmeyer is medically clear in 3 months, they will cease the medication and after it clears his system they will let him begin contact work. Bottom line -- nasty condition that can literally come out of nowhere. Greatful that his case appears to be under control.

Old
09-07-2006, 09:50 AM
WheresBarnaby

http://msgnetwork.com/rangers.jsp (top of the page)

"3-4 months on the medicine after should be cleared to go" prob December

Giannone one-on-one with Ortmeyer:

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote