HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2013, 03:26 PM
  #176
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,383
vCash: 500
I think after all this, there is only one option, only one person to blame.

Fire Mactavish!

Gotta go with the man in charge.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:28 PM
  #177
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,450
vCash: 500
So dumb... he should've had surgery last offseason. Even had extra time to recoup because of the lockout. Now he goes another year without bulking up.

So frustrating sometimes... Oh well, good luck Nuge.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
  #178
NugentHopkinsfan
Registered User
 
NugentHopkinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Every one is making too big of a deal about this. As long as he is back for the start of next year.
No, everyone is not making too big a deal. This is a number 1 center a kid that can be one of the best in the league, who has needed to bulk up for two years and now an entire off season is completely wasted. When you have a young player like RNH his health comes first, this should've been taken care of the second they realized it was a problem.

So yeah he'll be back to start the season... maybe... weaker than ever.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
  #179
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,706
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
This must be the darkest timeline.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:30 PM
  #180
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains
 
Karsa Orlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Why do people think that this will prevent RNH from bulking up? For the first month or so sure, but for his age it would probably do him good to take a short break.

Hall had surgery last year, and he bulked up big time in the off season. If RNH is 6'1 and 185 lbs right now, why can't he get up to 195 by next season, exactly the same thing Hall did? Hall was 6'1, 185 at the same age when he had surgery. RNH is a bit more slight framed, but he went from 175 to 185 over the last off-season so i think he can do it.

Not everything needs to be fabricated into a negative people.

Karsa Orlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:32 PM
  #181
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Cleveland?



Wow, I want to move to the beautiful city of Cleveland.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:41 PM
  #182
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
Why do people think that this will prevent RNH from bulking up? For the first month or so sure, but for his age it would probably do him good to take a short break.

Hall had surgery last year, and he bulked up big time in the off season. If RNH is 6'1 and 185 lbs right now, why can't he get up to 195 by next season, exactly the same thing Hall did? Hall was 6'1, 185 at the same age when he had surgery. RNH is a bit more slight framed, but he went from 175 to 185 over the last off-season so i think he can do it.

Not everything needs to be fabricated into a negative people.
I thought Hall said he was up to 195lbs before last season.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
  #183
Njoy Oilers
Registered User
 
Njoy Oilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Alberta.
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
Why do people think that this will prevent RNH from bulking up? For the first month or so sure, but for his age it would probably do him good to take a short break.

Hall had surgery last year, and he bulked up big time in the off season. If RNH is 6'1 and 185 lbs right now, why can't he get up to 195 by next season, exactly the same thing Hall did? Hall was 6'1, 185 at the same age when he had surgery. RNH is a bit more slight framed, but he went from 175 to 185 over the last off-season so i think he can do it.

Not everything needs to be fabricated into a negative people.
Like.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  #184
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon
 
JaredCowenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,275
vCash: 500
Should've had it along time ago. It would be better for him to have it and miss a month and then we have a legit chance at getting a playoff spot VS. doing what we always do. I'm just glad Hall didn't get hurt this year(Jinxed him) and pull another Injury for another year. Was starting to think he wouldn't pan out as he would be injury plagued. Glad I was wrong.

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:15 PM
  #185
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,464
vCash: 500
I am appalled, that RNH is being blamed for not performing better. Simply appalled.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:23 PM
  #186
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
People are being way to tin foil hatty in here.

From a medical point of view you can only give suggestions to a patient, it's up to him or her to decide what they want. And the thing with these kind of injuries it's not obvious what one should do.

Now I don't know the exact kind of injury RNH got but a lot of the time it's better to avoid surgery if you can and instead try to rehabilitate the shoulder in other ways. Surgery is pretty much always the last resort.
It's probably been RNHs call and ofc a competitive guy will try to play through it. In pro sport players always feel the pressure from management to play but I seriously doubt they've forced him to. If we're to call out anyone it's probably Ryans advisors but most likely there's noone to really blame, he tried to play through it but eventually went with surgery.

If he's had his problems since juniors I guess you could claim he should have had it done earlier, but you have to remember this is a guy trying to get the best contract possible and he knows surgery might hurt him in negotiations. He also knows that surgery might actually cause more damage than good, not likely but there's always a risk involved in surgery, if possible you should avoid it.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:35 PM
  #187
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Well, Stauffer is saying that RNH might be back by mid-November, maybe earlier if his recovery goes well. There was already a lot of pressure on MacT but now there's even more. Now he has to acquire an offensive minded centreman via trade or unrestricted free agency amongst the myriad of other holes that he has to plug if he's serious about the team taking a significant step forward.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:41 PM
  #188
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size
 
OneMoreAstronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 50
Sucks, but I think we all saw this coming. All I hope is that he didn't do any irreversible damage on yet another throwaway season.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:46 PM
  #189
oiLowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgree
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
No, everyone is not making too big a deal. This is a number 1 center a kid that can be one of the best in the league, who has needed to bulk up for two years and now an entire off season is completely wasted. When you have a young player like RNH his health comes first, this should've been taken care of the second they realized it was a problem.

So yeah he'll be back to start the season... maybe... weaker than ever.
False. It is far more important for him to learn on the job than to bulk up in the offseason. He certainly gained strength in other areas throughout the year and will have the added advantage of of a repaired shoulder next year. This was the best option for RNH regardless of what you want to believe...

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:47 PM
  #190
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains
 
Karsa Orlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, Stauffer is saying that RNH might be back by mid-November, maybe earlier if his recovery goes well. There was already a lot of pressure on MacT but now there's even more. Now he has to acquire an offensive minded centreman via trade or unrestricted free agency amongst the myriad of other holes that he has to plug if he's serious about the team taking a significant step forward.
Or you know, we could just sign Gagner? /flail

Karsa Orlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:50 PM
  #191
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
False. It is far more important for him to learn on the job than to bulk up in the offseason. He certainly gained strength in other areas throughout the year and will have the added advantage of of a repaired shoulder next year. This was the best option for RNH regardless of what you want to believe...
His defensive game certainly was improved this season, hopefully he has a full recovery and can come back stronger. I would assume that his shoulder affected his faceoff ability, I wonder what Gagner's excuse is?

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:50 PM
  #192
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
Or you know, we could just sign Gagner? /flail
How does re-signing Gagner fix the dilemma that RNH's injury presents? Our centre depth is still putrid with Gagner and RNH. Now the Oilers pretty much have to re-sign Gagner (which I'm fine with) and bring in somebody else.


Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 04-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
  #193
SterlingArcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
Time frame is what 6-9 months? He could be back before the start of the season but is old not count on it. Hall had his in march right and he did it make it till sometime in November and missed some OKC time. Hopefully he heals fast and we get him around when the season starts.

SterlingArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:57 PM
  #194
oiLowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgree
Country: Canada
Posts: 654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
His defensive game certainly was improved this season, hopefully he has a full recovery and can come back stronger. I would assume that his shoulder affected his faceoff ability, I wonder what Gagner's excuse is?
Labrum surgery has an amazing recovery rate. He will be stronger I have no doubt.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:02 PM
  #195
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
How does re-signing Gagner fix the dilemma that RNH's injury presents? Our centre depth is still putrid with Gagner and RNH. Now the Oilers pretty much have to re-sign Gagner (which I'm fine with) and bring in somebody else.
Or you deal Gagner, get another center with less offense and more defense and start Hall at center next season and entertain the idea of drafting a C with our 1st and giving him some games to see how he looks at this level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
Labrum surgery has an amazing recovery rate. He will be stronger I have no doubt.
Thanks, that's great to hear.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:07 PM
  #196
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
Labrum surgery has an amazing recovery rate. He will be stronger I have no doubt.
10% ends up worse than before. The success rate is much better for people under 30 though so he should be fine but you never know.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:12 PM
  #197
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Or you deal Gagner, get another center with less offense and more defense and start Hall at center next season and entertain the idea of drafting a C with our 1st and giving him some games to see how he looks at this level.
I'm not good with sliding another rookie into the line-up in a significant role. The Oilers are already having pipedreams about Oscar Klefbom playing everyday next year.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:14 PM
  #198
Conkanen*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
False. It is far more important for him to learn on the job than to bulk up in the offseason. He certainly gained strength in other areas throughout the year and will have the added advantage of of a repaired shoulder next year. This was the best option for RNH regardless of what you want to believe...
Couldn't agree more. I can't wait to see Nuge with fully healthy shoulder cause he is a heckuva player at 60-70%.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:37 PM
  #199
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,952
vCash: 1020
Does anyone actually know when he tore his labrum? Lots of talk about shutting him down in march, February, January, last year, but when did he actually mess up his labrum? Beginning of February this year?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:48 PM
  #200
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, Stauffer is saying that RNH might be back by mid-November, maybe earlier if his recovery goes well. There was already a lot of pressure on MacT but now there's even more. Now he has to acquire an offensive minded centreman via trade or unrestricted free agency amongst the myriad of other holes that he has to plug if he's serious about the team taking a significant step forward.
The Oilers should move Hall to the centre to close out the season.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.