HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

RNH To Have Season Ending Shoulder Surgery (Labrum Tear)

Old
04-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
I think after all this, there is only one option, only one person to blame.

Fire Mactavish!

Gotta go with the man in charge.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:28 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

So dumb... he should've had surgery last offseason. Even had extra time to recoup because of the lockout. Now he goes another year without bulking up.

So frustrating sometimes... Oh well, good luck Nuge.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Every one is making too big of a deal about this. As long as he is back for the start of next year.
No, everyone is not making too big a deal. This is a number 1 center a kid that can be one of the best in the league, who has needed to bulk up for two years and now an entire off season is completely wasted. When you have a young player like RNH his health comes first, this should've been taken care of the second they realized it was a problem.

So yeah he'll be back to start the season... maybe... weaker than ever.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:29 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
This must be the darkest timeline.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Why do people think that this will prevent RNH from bulking up? For the first month or so sure, but for his age it would probably do him good to take a short break.

Hall had surgery last year, and he bulked up big time in the off season. If RNH is 6'1 and 185 lbs right now, why can't he get up to 195 by next season, exactly the same thing Hall did? Hall was 6'1, 185 at the same age when he had surgery. RNH is a bit more slight framed, but he went from 175 to 185 over the last off-season so i think he can do it.

Not everything needs to be fabricated into a negative people.

Karsa Orlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Cleveland?

Wow, I want to move to the beautiful city of Cleveland.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:41 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
Why do people think that this will prevent RNH from bulking up? For the first month or so sure, but for his age it would probably do him good to take a short break.

Hall had surgery last year, and he bulked up big time in the off season. If RNH is 6'1 and 185 lbs right now, why can't he get up to 195 by next season, exactly the same thing Hall did? Hall was 6'1, 185 at the same age when he had surgery. RNH is a bit more slight framed, but he went from 175 to 185 over the last off-season so i think he can do it.

I thought Hall said he was up to 195lbs before last season.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:

Like.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:12 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Should've had it along time ago. It would be better for him to have it and miss a month and then we have a legit chance at getting a playoff spot VS. doing what we always do. I'm just glad Hall didn't get hurt this year(Jinxed him) and pull another Injury for another year. Was starting to think he wouldn't pan out as he would be injury plagued. Glad I was wrong.

JaredCowenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I am appalled, that RNH is being blamed for not performing better. Simply appalled.

Tad Mikowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:23 PM
OiledUp

People are being way to tin foil hatty in here.

From a medical point of view you can only give suggestions to a patient, it's up to him or her to decide what they want. And the thing with these kind of injuries it's not obvious what one should do.

Now I don't know the exact kind of injury RNH got but a lot of the time it's better to avoid surgery if you can and instead try to rehabilitate the shoulder in other ways. Surgery is pretty much always the last resort.
It's probably been RNHs call and ofc a competitive guy will try to play through it. In pro sport players always feel the pressure from management to play but I seriously doubt they've forced him to. If we're to call out anyone it's probably Ryans advisors but most likely there's noone to really blame, he tried to play through it but eventually went with surgery.

If he's had his problems since juniors I guess you could claim he should have had it done earlier, but you have to remember this is a guy trying to get the best contract possible and he knows surgery might hurt him in negotiations. He also knows that surgery might actually cause more damage than good, not likely but there's always a risk involved in surgery, if possible you should avoid it.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Well, Stauffer is saying that RNH might be back by mid-November, maybe earlier if his recovery goes well. There was already a lot of pressure on MacT but now there's even more. Now he has to acquire an offensive minded centreman via trade or unrestricted free agency amongst the myriad of other holes that he has to plug if he's serious about the team taking a significant step forward.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:41 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Sucks, but I think we all saw this coming. All I hope is that he didn't do any irreversible damage on yet another throwaway season.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:46 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
No, everyone is not making too big a deal. This is a number 1 center a kid that can be one of the best in the league, who has needed to bulk up for two years and now an entire off season is completely wasted. When you have a young player like RNH his health comes first, this should've been taken care of the second they realized it was a problem.

So yeah he'll be back to start the season... maybe... weaker than ever.
False. It is far more important for him to learn on the job than to bulk up in the offseason. He certainly gained strength in other areas throughout the year and will have the added advantage of of a repaired shoulder next year. This was the best option for RNH regardless of what you want to believe...

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, Stauffer is saying that RNH might be back by mid-November, maybe earlier if his recovery goes well. There was already a lot of pressure on MacT but now there's even more. Now he has to acquire an offensive minded centreman via trade or unrestricted free agency amongst the myriad of other holes that he has to plug if he's serious about the team taking a significant step forward.
Or you know, we could just sign Gagner? /flail

Karsa Orlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
False. It is far more important for him to learn on the job than to bulk up in the offseason. He certainly gained strength in other areas throughout the year and will have the added advantage of of a repaired shoulder next year. This was the best option for RNH regardless of what you want to believe...
His defensive game certainly was improved this season, hopefully he has a full recovery and can come back stronger. I would assume that his shoulder affected his faceoff ability, I wonder what Gagner's excuse is?

04-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Or you know, we could just sign Gagner? /flail
How does re-signing Gagner fix the dilemma that RNH's injury presents? Our centre depth is still putrid with Gagner and RNH. Now the Oilers pretty much have to re-sign Gagner (which I'm fine with) and bring in somebody else.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 04-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
SterlingArcher

Time frame is what 6-9 months? He could be back before the start of the season but is old not count on it. Hall had his in march right and he did it make it till sometime in November and missed some OKC time. Hopefully he heals fast and we get him around when the season starts.

SterlingArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:57 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
His defensive game certainly was improved this season, hopefully he has a full recovery and can come back stronger. I would assume that his shoulder affected his faceoff ability, I wonder what Gagner's excuse is?
Labrum surgery has an amazing recovery rate. He will be stronger I have no doubt.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
How does re-signing Gagner fix the dilemma that RNH's injury presents? Our centre depth is still putrid with Gagner and RNH. Now the Oilers pretty much have to re-sign Gagner (which I'm fine with) and bring in somebody else.
Or you deal Gagner, get another center with less offense and more defense and start Hall at center next season and entertain the idea of drafting a C with our 1st and giving him some games to see how he looks at this level.

Quote:
Labrum surgery has an amazing recovery rate. He will be stronger I have no doubt.
Thanks, that's great to hear.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:07 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
10% ends up worse than before. The success rate is much better for people under 30 though so he should be fine but you never know.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Or you deal Gagner, get another center with less offense and more defense and start Hall at center next season and entertain the idea of drafting a C with our 1st and giving him some games to see how he looks at this level.
I'm not good with sliding another rookie into the line-up in a significant role. The Oilers are already having pipedreams about Oscar Klefbom playing everyday next year.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I can't wait to see Nuge with fully healthy shoulder cause he is a heckuva player at 60-70%.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:37 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Does anyone actually know when he tore his labrum? Lots of talk about shutting him down in march, February, January, last year, but when did he actually mess up his labrum? Beginning of February this year?

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:48 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
The Oilers should move Hall to the centre to close out the season.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote