Islanders win 5-4 in shoot out

Old
04-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post
actually they've outplayed most of their opponents but just couldn't score - hopefully lighting it up vs florida changes this

add to that the rivalry w rags and I'm hopeful
They got Kovy back so they may go on a season ending tear. /crosses fingers

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:44 AM
peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E.../Winnipeg.html

They got us at 19.3% to make it.

I look forward to proving them wrong.
You should switch the method on sportsclubstats from weighted to 50/50. Our odds of making the playoffs go from 19.3% to 35.1%. We are 95.3% in if we sweep the last 3 games and are 43.1% in if we go 2 and 1 (which is almost 50/50 )

Wayyyyyyyyyyyy to early to give up hope

peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Saw on CTV that Noel said Bogo was 'day-to-day'. Would have to be checked out.

That would be a very big blow to the Jets playoff chances if Bogo is out for a few games.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:06 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Saw on CTV that Noel said Bogo was 'day-to-day'. Would have to be checked out.

That would be a very big blow to the Jets playoff chances if Bogo is out for a few games.
Agreed.

But...

Is it Trouba time if he misses?

Kuld it be Kulda?

Could Redmond get recalled?

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:37 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
It's still a simple fact that if the Jets win their remaining games they will make the playoffs..

how so?

if washington loses to the Jets and wins one of their other 2 remaining games, they're in.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:09 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Agreed.

But...

Is it Trouba time if he misses?

Kuld it be Kulda?

Could Redmond get recalled?
Put Trouba in so he can rock Ovechkin and knock him out for an indefinite time

No, seriously doubt he draws in. At this point, even Kulda won't which still baffles me. Why did the JETS even sign him?????

Probably be Meech that draws back in.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:13 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
My thoughts on the game:

I'm disappointed with the single point, but NOT the game. That was, without a doubt, one of the most entertaining games I've seen this year, with two fast and hungry teams going at it. Felt like a playoff game. Kudos to the Isles and their fans - as I said in the BDT, they've impressed me as of late.

Not going to focus on the negative, as I tend to like to forget about those things - life's too short.

Welly - what the heck did he have for breakfast? If he'd have released that shot a teeny bit sooner, the Jets version of this franchise would have had its first hattrick. Welly? What a good game he had.

Loving Tangradi out there - really seems to have found his game here. I'm sure he'll start finding the back of the net at some point. With some NJ fans wanting Poni run out of town, I think the trade and (4th) round pick that resulted was a good exchange. His shot blocking effort on that one shift was epic - I was laughing and cheering at the same time.

Ladd with his typical gritty game - needed to score in the SO, and he does. Captain "Clutch" as of late (even though I don't really believe in clutch, any more than a player being able to consistently do what he's being paid to do even under pressure).

Bogo: hope he's ok. Loved his passion after that Okposo hit - he was absolutely manic, and appeared to want to mess someone up.

Kane playing injured - good on ya.

Clitsome - man, what a ridiculous flip pass to Welly for that goal. If that doesn't end up on this week's highlight reels, I don't know what to say. Even with some of the boneheaded plays he makes from time to time, I hope we keep him around next year. He's really stepped up the good parts of his game, has played over his head on defensive pairings he's not well suited for, and looks dangerous from the point and when he sneaks in from the point.

5-0-1 in the last six. 11 of 12 points. Tough road ahead of them, and they're going to need help (thanks for nothing MTL ), but I'm loving watching them push as hard as they can. That was a fun, exciting, and exhausting game to watch. Don't know what else you can ask for out of a sports match.

Well, other than two points.

Go Go!

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:51 AM
EpicGingy

I didn't get to watch the game because of a family gathering, but from this thread and the highlights it looks like a game that would've made me look bipolar.

When I saw Clitsome's shot hit the goalpost and the rebound get blocked by a player on a wide open net, I couldn't believe it, can't imagine that during the game.

There's still 6 more points up for grabs, but I'm apprehensive with our game against Washington. That's going to be really difficult, and we're definitely the underdogs. But there's no way the team will just roll over like the last 2 games against them.

EpicGingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:52 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Good post YWGinYYZ

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:08 AM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
My thoughts on the game:

I'm disappointed with the single point, but NOT the game. That was, without a doubt, one of the most entertaining games I've seen this year, with two fast and hungry teams going at it. Felt like a playoff game. Kudos to the Isles and their fans - as I said in the BDT, they've impressed me as of late.

Not going to focus on the negative, as I tend to like to forget about those things - life's too short.

Welly - what the heck did he have for breakfast? If he'd have released that shot a teeny bit sooner, the Jets version of this franchise would have had its first hattrick. Welly? What a good game he had.

Loving Tangradi out there - really seems to have found his game here. I'm sure he'll start finding the back of the net at some point. With some NJ fans wanting Poni run out of town, I think the trade and (4th) round pick that resulted was a good exchange. His shot blocking effort on that one shift was epic - I was laughing and cheering at the same time.

Ladd with his typical gritty game - needed to score in the SO, and he does. Captain "Clutch" as of late (even though I don't really believe in clutch, any more than a player being able to consistently do what he's being paid to do even under pressure).

Bogo: hope he's ok. Loved his passion after that Okposo hit - he was absolutely manic, and appeared to want to mess someone up.

Kane playing injured - good on ya.

Clitsome - man, what a ridiculous flip pass to Welly for that goal. If that doesn't end up on this week's highlight reels, I don't know what to say. Even with some of the boneheaded plays he makes from time to time, I hope we keep him around next year. He's really stepped up the good parts of his game, has played over his head on defensive pairings he's not well suited for, and looks dangerous from the point and when he sneaks in from the point.

5-0-1 in the last six. 11 of 12 points. Tough road ahead of them, and they're going to need help (thanks for nothing MTL ), but I'm loving watching them push as hard as they can. That was a fun, exciting, and exhausting game to watch. Don't know what else you can ask for out of a sports match.

Well, other than two points.

Go Go!
Can't really add anything - you summed up my thoughts on this game almost perfectly. Friggin' Vishnovsky sliding in to make the save on Clitsome's shot was epic. Clitsome's shot itself was a beauty, but the save should also end up on highlight reels this week.

May have been the most entertaining game of the 2.0 era.

A perfect game to illustrate how bounces or "puck luck" can alter the outcome of a great game. A couple of posts, a couple of whiffs on the puck, a 1/2 second too late on the release, a d-man sliding in at the last millisecond, a rolling puck on a break-away - any of these things go the Jets' way, and it's a clean ROW win.

A fan could not ask for much more than than what we got to witness yesterday (other than two points and a Caps loss).

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
Yep, thought the exact same thing at the time.

As much as I love Bogo, he allows his emotions to get the best of him and today was a pretty good example. Hockey games are decided by goals, not body checks. Way too critical of a game to get wound up on laying players out, play the puck.

Jets playoff hopes are like the setting sun. No totally gone, but soon enough. I'm telling ya, those back to back home loses against Washington was the season. Soon after they lost first place and you know the rest. The Jets have to win out and get some luck.
Actually, I completely disagree with this.

For the most part, Bogo plays a very controlled game, and at times I wished he played with more of an edge. You could hardly blame him from stepping up physically after Okposo's hit.

Also, he's used to playing with Hainsey who plays more "at home" than Clitsome. It's hard to change your style so quickly.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:46 PM
tbcwpg

The positives from the game have been discussed a lot, so I won't go into my thoughts on those that much, other than that the team didn't give up even despite some poor play.

I know Pavelec had a pretty poor game overall but I think the proportion of blame that he receives on a nightly basis is absolutely ridiculous. For all the defensive "depth" that this team has, Pavelec consistently has to bail out his defence. It seems that, unless he stops every shot, some people will not be pleased. Fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion. For the first half of this game, the Jets' defence was fighting the puck at every opportunity, failing to get the puck out of the zone, losing their man on a consistent basis. The third goal was weak, but who was covering Martin? Both guys were in the corner.

11 out of 12 points on the homestand is a great number, and I think we all would have taken that at the start of the game against the Flyers. I think the disappointment stems from the team that they dropped the point against. Would have rather taken all 2 yesterday and lost in OT to the Canes than the opposite scenario. Of the 6 teams they played over the home stand, this was the worst team to have lost points to.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 03:50 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Joker 6-8 weeks high ankle sprain
Bogo day to day

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:30 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Lawless tweeted that Bogo is done for atleast a week with a concussion.

When it rains...

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:40 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilty00 View Post
Lawless tweeted that Bogo is done for atleast a week with a concussion.

When it rains...
And okposos hit was clean per the nhl

Double standard dicipline

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
04-21-2013, 04:50 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
And okposos hit was clean per the nhl

Double standard dicipline
I can't understand how they could come to that conclusion. The principle point of contact was to the head.

Edit: Given that we now know that he is concussed it is probably a very good thing that the Linesmen stepped in and broke up the fight we wouldn't have wanted to make it worse.

Get better soon Bogo!

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Bob E

Jokinen isn't a problem to replace during the remaining 3 games.

Bogo is. Will Trouba get a shot? I'm thinking Meech, but hoping Trouba.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...204011531.html

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:53 PM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
updated with the Rangers victory

Winnipeg Jets Playoff Chances
Did not play, playoff odds down 3.7 to 15.6%

55 3 0 - 0 88.2 %
54 2 0 - 1 49.1
53 2 1 - 0 20.6
52 1 1 - 1 3.9

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Hobble

Why didn't the refs allow Bogo to fight Okposo? They both dropped their gloves.

Bogo would have messed him up.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
If they were to discipline Okposo for that hit, guys would getting suspended every night. The whole "hitting being taken out of the game" would actually be true. While head shots need to be taken out, there will be plenty of borderline type hits like this one.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:00 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
If they were to discipline Okposo for that hit, guys would getting suspended every night. The whole "hitting being taken out of the game" would actually be true. While head shots need to be taken out, there will be plenty of borderline type hits like this one.
That is similar ones to players already suspended
Like Ryan white who got 5 games
White is a plug okposo isn't
There is the issue

Old
04-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I can't understand how they could come to that conclusion. The principle point of contact was to the head.
It was, but the second criteria is whether or not the head was actually targeted. It looked like Okposo was trying to knock Bogo off the puck and just got his hands a bit too high.

Not a suspension-worthy hit IMO, although I've noticed they rarely call 2 minute minors for checks to the head, which is what this should've been.

Quote:
There is the issue
Difference was that White targeted Huskins head.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:21 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
There is the issue
White got nothing but head with a glancing blow. Okposo still got the shoulder/chest area along with up under the chin. There was a clear difference in the hits.

I do agree the name on the back tends to affect things, especially length.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:22 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
It was, but the second criteria is whether or not the head was actually targeted. It looked like Okposo was trying to knock Bogo off the puck and just got his hands a bit too high.

Not a suspension-worthy hit IMO, although I've noticed they rarely call 2 minute minors for checks to the head, which is what this should've been.

Difference was that White elbowed Huskins.
I don't know he stepped around Bogo and looked to explode upwards with his shoulder through Bogo's head. I wont say that it was 100% blatent but you need to be in control of your actions which is why he should have gotten a game.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:27 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke89 View Post
White got nothing but head with a glancing blow. Okposo still got the shoulder/chest area along with up under the chin. There was a clear difference in the hits.

I do agree the name on the back tends to affect things, especially length.
Sure looked like he lifted his shoulder right up into his chin.

If Matt Martin makes that hit he is suspended