HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tinordi Time

Old
04-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
Tinordi Time

Emelin's presence is missed more than perhaps anyone could have predicted given the team's supposed defensive depth and overall consistency before his injury.

Markov and Emelin were the top pairing, but it's inherently obvious that things have not been the same since Emelin went down. He was a threat defensively in more ways than one. He kept the opposing forwards honest

Drewiski obviously wasn't the answer...just not enough talent there to make up for having no physical dimension. Not overly big or physical, less than average skater...he was picked up as a press box guy with character...a number one cheerleader, not someone thrust into a key role as he was after the injury to Emelin.

That said...with Weber and Diaz in the lineup, like last night... is there a shorter overall blueline in the league? Not a lot of size there..in fact no one who would be mistaken for a crease clearer. PK is capable of producing the odd big hit when he's mobile, but as far as standing in front of the net and clearing people out..he is not among the league's elite, and nor should he be expected to play that role...hell...he may win the Norris Trophy, and that would predominantly be because his offensive abilities.

It is important to have defencemen with long reach when it comes to defensive situations, in particular the power play. Just like the offensive lineman in football, defensive defencemen are in an advantageous position if they have a long wingspan; if you're 5-8 and have a 50-inch chest like the Cube you can't crosscheck a guy two feet away from you

This team is reeling...not coincidentally since Emelin was felled by injury. Gally and Chucky have given the team a boost at several pivotal points during the season with their rookie enthusiasm...

It's time to bring back the rookie who was solid on the point when he got his callup....in fact I thought he should never have been sent back. Tinordi brings elements to the position that this team seriously lacks at this time.

Price's confidence is shot right now...namely because no one is clearing the front of the net. Well....when you dress 6 dmen under 6-2 in today's NHL.....that is not going to win you a Cup, let alone a couple of playoff series no matter how much offensive talents they may possess.

Bring up the kid for this season-ending road trip and hand him the shutdown role. Pair him up with Gorges on the PK, hand him the keys and see what he does with it. If the Habs start giving up seven goals a game as opposed to the five or six they've had a propensity for allowing of late, then it's a failed experiment, and they go with the guys they've been crashing and burning with for the playoffs.

Grant McCagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

I agree with everything that Grant said. Bring Tinordi up. It's his time.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:10 PM
habsfanatics

I'm in.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:12 PM
JohnLennon

You bring up some good points for sure, but I am just concerned with the concept of playing a rookie in the playoffs after barely playing his first season in the AHL.

Sure, he looked great with the Habs, but do we really think it is smart to play a rookie with no NHL experience and throw him into the highest level of NHL hockey? He is a steadying influence on the back-end and a big body is quite necessary, but throwing him into the fire like that probably would not be good for his development and might even end up hurting the team.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I agree with your points. I am just concerned with the concept of playing a rookie in the playoffs after barely playing his first season in the AHL.

Sure, he looked great with the Habs, but do we really think it is smart to play a rookie with no NHL experience and throw him into the highest level of NHL hockey? He is a steadying influence on the back-end and a big body is quite necessary, but throwing him into the fire like that probably would not be good for his development and might even end up hurting the team.
Tinordi was the D-man with the most ice-time this year with the Bulldogs AND we did it with Subban a few years back. He played in the AHL all year and he was a regular with us against wash and Pitts in the playoffs.

All in for Tinordi.

Old
Et le But

I'm not a huge fan of throwing rookies to the wolves - look at how good Beaulieu looked at first, only to fall off, for instance, but Tinordi should at least be given another look for the rest of the season. Since if he looks at all comfortable, he'd be a huge asset for the playoffs.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
All in on Big T.

I've been asking myself all this time why Tinordi should not get called up in time for the playoffs. I have yet to find an answer. With Diaz back, the Habs PP should be ready. The Habs PK and 5-on-5 defensively needs the most help and Tinordi could be the solution. I would call him up for the last three games to give him the warming up phase and prep him up for the playoffs.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Tinordi was the D-man with the most ice-time this year with the Bulldogs AND we did it with Subban a few years back. He played in the AHL all year and he was a regular with us against wash and Pitts in the playoffs.

All in for Tinordi.
That's definitely relevant, but do you think Subban and Tinordi are that comparable? Defensive defensemen typically take longer to develop, and it isn't like he played on a remotely good team in the AHL. PK Subban played on an elite Belleville team as well as an elite Bulldogs team.

This would essentially be the toughest challenge of Tinordi's life, and in comparison to his season with the Bulldogs, the level of play might be overwhelming. Going from a losing AHL season directly into the NHL playoffs might not be a smart idea for his development and for the Habs' sake.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:19 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
You bring up some good points for sure, but I am just concerned with the concept of playing a rookie in the playoffs after barely playing his first season in the AHL.

He's going to be our 6th defenseman, he won't have huge responsibilities other than clearing the front of the net and playing some minutes on the PK. Even if he hurts the team I'd rather have a rookie making those mistakes than a guy like Drewiske who won't be on the team next year.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
That's definitely relevant, but do you think Subban and Tinordi are that comparable? Defensive defensemen typically take longer to develop, and it isn't like he played on a remotely good team in the AHL. PK Subban played on an elite Belleville team as well as an elite Bulldogs team.

This would essentially be the toughest challenge of Tinordi's life, and in comparison to his season with the Bulldogs, the level of play might be overwhelming. Going from a losing AHL season directly into the NHL playoffs might not be a smart idea for his development and for the Habs' sake.
He went to the memorial cup last year. He was on an elite Junior team. Tinordi is a player made for the playoffs. I rather give him ice-time as our 6th dman than Drewiske.

Drewiske is not physical, is not offensive, is not fast and won't be with us next year.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:25 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
He's going to be our 6th defenseman, he won't have huge responsibilities other than clearing the front of the net and playing some minutes on the PK. Even if he hurts the team I'd rather have a rookie making those mistakes than a guy like Drewiske who won't be on the team next year.
Whether or not he is a 6th defenseman or higher, it is still the NHL playoffs and that is when NHL players show their very best. Do you think an player who just finished his rookie AHL season is up to the challenge? I am skeptical, albeit hopeful.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:25 PM
BoNeS42

I don't believe in bringing rookie defenseman in for the playoffs...

Looks at avatar, OH WAIT

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:26 PM
DJ Breadman

Huge fan of calling up Tinordi, he is not afraid of a physical game, looked like a solid shot blocker and I love his long reach

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:32 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
He went to the memorial cup last year. He was on an elite Junior team. Tinordi is a player made for the playoffs. I rather give him ice-time as our 6th dman than Drewiske.

Drewiske is not physical, is not offensive, is not fast and won't be with us next year.
Good point, Tinordi has some experience in the memorial cup. But that is still minor league hockey. Tinordi has something like 5 games played in the NHL (keep in mind rookies tend to look good in their first showing in the NHL). Drewiske has 135 games of NHL experience. Yannick Weber has 114 games of NHL experience, AND 6 games of NHL Playoffs experience (with 4 points in 6 games, including 3 goals!).

Is it smart to risk hindering Tinordi's development after throwing him into the NHL playoffs after just finishing his first AHL season on a mediocre team? I would love his size and defensive reliability, but I fear it might be too much for him to handle and not beneficial to him regarding his overall career. It might be smarter to play Weber as our 6th defenseman, who has much more NHL experience and has actually put up great numbers (though in a small sample size) in the NHL playoffs. I'm just trying to look at this in the big picture, and not only this year.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Tinordi could actually help the team, but he won't be as physical as some think. He's not ready to be the punishing defenceman a lot of fans are looking for. The habs could use him to clear the crease and use his long reach and shot blocking on the PK though.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:39 PM
TennisMenace

What do we have to lose? The guys playing, like Drew or Weber, i
Arent all that.
At least Tins is big. I say why not? Play the kid and roll with our youth.

Last edited by TennisMenace: 04-21-2013 at 06:50 PM.
TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:40 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Emelin's presence is missed more than perhaps anyone could have predicted given the team's supposed defensive depth and overall consistency before his injury.

Markov and Emelin were the top pairing, but it's inherently obvious that things have not been the same since Emelin went down. He was a threat defensively in more ways than one. He kept the opposing forwards honest

Drewiski obviously wasn't the answer...just not enough talent there to make up for having no physical dimension. Not overly big or physical, less than average skater...he was picked up as a press box guy with character...a number one cheerleader, not someone thrust into a key role as he was after the injury to Emelin.

That said...with Weber and Diaz in the lineup, like last night... is there a shorter overall blueline in the league? Not a lot of size there..in fact no one who would be mistaken for a crease clearer. PK is capable of producing the odd big hit when he's mobile, but as far as standing in front of the net and clearing people out..he is not among the league's elite, and nor should he be expected to play that role...hell...he may win the Norris Trophy, and that would predominantly be because his offensive abilities.

It is important to have defencemen with long reach when it comes to defensive situations, in particular the power play. Just like the offensive lineman in football, defensive defencemen are in an advantageous position if they have a long wingspan; if you're 5-8 and have a 50-inch chest like the Cube you can't crosscheck a guy two feet away from you

This team is reeling...not coincidentally since Emelin was felled by injury. Gally and Chucky have given the team a boost at several pivotal points during the season with their rookie enthusiasm...

It's time to bring back the rookie who was solid on the point when he got his callup....in fact I thought he should never have been sent back. Tinordi brings elements to the position that this team seriously lacks at this time.

Price's confidence is shot right now...namely because no one is clearing the front of the net. Well....when you dress 6 dmen under 6-2 in today's NHL.....that is not going to win you a Cup, let alone a couple of playoff series no matter how much offensive talents they may possess.

Bring up the kid for this season-ending road trip and hand him the shutdown role. Pair him up with Gorges on the PK, hand him the keys and see what he does with it. If the Habs start giving up seven goals a game as opposed to the five or six they've had a propensity for allowing of late, then it's a failed experiment, and they go with the guys they've been crashing and burning with for the playoffs.
Great post. Well spoken with good supporting details.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:41 PM
hockeyman*

Clearly he offers us an element that we've missed, or maybe more then we've missed! I would give him a couple games to prove himself, because it goes without saying we need his physical ability and size for the playoffs. Our current D is wayyy (Marky, Sub, Gorges, Bou, Weber, Diaz) to small to be successful in this season, I can't see how we match up to any other team over a 7 game series strength wise.

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Tinordi can do no worse than Weber or Drewiske.

In my opinion, he would do much better.

Bring him up.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Tyson

Subban had two NHL games of experience when he made is play off debut. Tinordi is ready to play as a #6 D, easily.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:57 PM
pine*

Beaulieu and Tinordi should be making their way back up to the big club as early as tonight or tomorrow.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Beaulieu and Tinordi should be making their way back up to the big club as early as tonight or tomorrow.
Beaulieu struggled a lot in his last two games so that might scare the coaching staff a bit. At this point, I think that if we need an offensive D-man, it's gonna be Weber's spot, as he did decent in his 2 games.

But, I'm 100% for dressing Tinordi instead of Weber.

Chfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Let's all get #TinordiTime trending on Twitter

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:19 PM
Grant McCagg

I did not say bring him in and throw him to the wolves for the playoffs.....I said audition him one last time for the playoffs. If he sucks...go to Plan C. Back in 1971..I recall a Habs rookie being auditioned before the playoffs..ended up winning the Conn Smythe. ;-)

Grant McCagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Craig71

It seems as though the answer lies within reach.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote