HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 8: Fire This Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
They are going slow as can be ,, Guy had bombs/potential suicide vest

Could also possibly be hiding in a home with hostages

This was my line of thinking as well.

Back in Chicago. What a miserable place right now, though as we can clearly see things could be much, much worse. Crazy chain of events the past 24 hours.

Lost in all this is all those poor citizens and first responders dead and injured in Texas. What a brutal few days.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Illinihockey

I suck at embedding videos on ipad

Old
04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Cullksinikers

Might have a beer to celebrate. Why not.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

AWESOME! work by the Boston PD and the FBI to get him alive. Now they can question him, get all the info from him they can get, then drop him off outside Fenway Park next week and let Boston get justice.

Old
04-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Blue Liner

So the girlfriend and I are strongly considering a move to Florida. Doing the research, analysis, getting the ducks in a row, seeing what's what. Strongly, strongly considering.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
What part of Florida are you looking at?

Old
04-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
What part of Florida are you looking at?
We're looking primarily in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area. Gf's family has a gorgeous condo in Naples, and Naples is really nice but a lot of it is expensive and it's largely a retirement community. Things close down early and aside from a vacation stop we'd probably get kind of bored living there. Most of the homes we're finding for the best value as far as price and what you get for it are in Cape Coral. I have an aunt and uncle that live there, too, been there before.

My girlfriend may open her own branch of her family business down there and I've already been in contact with the EMS coordinators down there and I could get a job making as much as I'd make on CFD or any of the suburban fire departments here which translates to even more down there given the cost of living difference. Could still do the scouting thing it would just require out of town travel a little more often. There's a couple schools down there I could instruct at, as well. Lot of possibilities.

Sales tax is only 6%, property taxes are a fraction of what they are here, no state income tax, it's crazy. Linking a couple of homes below we're looking at just as examples. Our house here in Chicago is worth about $270,000, and for the similar prices we can find what I've linked below. Oh yeah, and you're a mere few miles from the beach/ocean on a daily basis. A lot of her family is on board as well and interested in going down. Just doing our research in the meantime. It's exciting. I love my hometown and always will, but I'm kinda over living here. The weather blows, taxes are sky-high especially in the city, you have nothing to show for the sky-high taxes other than cities and the state crying broke, tolls suck,roads suck, congestion sucks....I'd be giving up on my dream job but that job isn't a guarantee and with the shape this city is in and with everything going on I can give that up knowing I'd be gaining so much more elsewhere. We'll see what happens.

http://www.trulia.com/property/30881...-33914#photo-1

http://www.trulia.com/property/31062...Coral-FL-33993 Huge fan of this one.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:19 PM
RayP
Registered Dad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
BRB, applying for a loan.

Seriously, do you have to add a roof to it or something? Also within a 3 drive to Tampa, Orlando, and Miami. Hell, even the Keys are within 5 hours. Wanna be neighbors?

Old
04-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Red Mosquito

Quote:
We're looking primarily in the Ft. Myers/Cape Coral area. Gf's family has a gorgeous condo in Naples, and Naples is really nice but a lot of it is expensive and it's largely a retirement community. Things close down early and aside from a vacation stop we'd probably get kind of bored living there. Most of the homes we're finding for the best value as far as price and what you get for it are in Cape Coral. I have an aunt and uncle that live there, too, been there before.

My girlfriend may open her own branch of her family business down there and I've already been in contact with the EMS coordinators down there and I could get a job making as much as I'd make on CFD or any of the suburban fire departments here which translates to even more down there given the cost of living difference. Could still do the scouting thing it would just require out of town travel a little more often. There's a couple schools down there I could instruct at, as well. Lot of possibilities.

Sales tax is only 6%, property taxes are a fraction of what they are here, no state income tax, it's crazy. Linking a couple of homes below we're looking at just as examples. Our house here in Chicago is worth about $270,000, and for the similar prices we can find what I've linked below. Oh yeah, and you're a mere few miles from the beach/ocean on a daily basis. A lot of her family is on board as well and interested in going down. Just doing our research in the meantime. It's exciting. I love my hometown and always will, but I'm kinda over living here. The weather blows, taxes are sky-high especially in the city, you have nothing to show for the sky-high taxes other than cities and the state crying broke, tolls suck,roads suck, congestion sucks....I'd be giving up on my dream job but that job isn't a guarantee and with the shape this city is in and with everything going on I can give that up knowing I'd be gaining so much more elsewhere. We'll see what happens.

I don't think many people could make the same money in Florida as they do here. For those like you that can...wow, go for it. I can't image no more winters and living right by the ocean.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:09 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:

That second house is unreal. I would be moved in by the end of next week if I were you.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Cullksinikers

How is a house that nice $217,000?

I know it's a buyer's market, but that is just insane.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:52 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
How is a house that nice $217,000?

I know it's a buyer's market, but that is just insane.
Cost of living is low in certain locations. For example, a 350,000 house in chicago could cost 150,000 in Rockford. You also get paid less working in Rockford, typically. That's why I'll never live in a big city, or close to one. It's so much cheaper to live outside the city.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
BRB, applying for a loan.

Seriously, do you have to add a roof to it or something? Also within a 3 drive to Tampa, Orlando, and Miami. Hell, even the Keys are within 5 hours. Wanna be neighbors?
I know, I can't get over it. There are a lot of really nice houses there for very good prices. My aunt and uncle live there so I know it's nice and I've had them doublecheck some addresses and they're all in good areas. None are foreclosures which is nice, too.

Location is great. Driving distance to those places, still a two hour flight back to Chicago to visit. Can drive two and half hours/three hours to Miami to hop on a cruise. It's sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Cost of living is low in certain locations. For example, a 350,000 house in chicago could cost 150,000 in Rockford. You also get paid less working in Rockford, typically. That's why I'll never live in a big city, or close to one. It's so much cheaper to live outside the city.
Getting away from a city like Chicago means everything as far as price goes. The houses in Florida that are in the $500,000 range would be well over $1 million here, and they wouldn't come with half the things the Florida homes have like the crazy outdoor setups for the pools, water access to the ocean, dock, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
That second house is unreal. I would be moved in by the end of next week if I were you.
I like that one a lot. My girlfriend is in love with the first one, which is sweet, too. But I love the second one. So many have living rooms that go right out to the pool/patio and it's all open. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I don't think many people could make the same money in Florida as they do here. For those like you that can...wow, go for it. I can't image no more winters and living right by the ocean.
Yeah I'm sure not all jobs work like that. I was surprised, to say the least. I'm not sure about police, but EMS and fire department gigs are in the same wheelhouse salary-wise and with the decreased taxes and home prices you're coming out that much better. It makes it almost a no-brainer. There are downsides to leaving here, but I've left once before and know what those are and the positives far outweigh the negatives for us.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:42 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I wish I could talk my wife into moving somewhere like that, but she cares too much about staying close to our families. Oh well.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Blue Liner

It can be tough to do, no doubt. In my case, my dad and stepmom live in Arizona, so they're already away anyway. My mom and sisters are here so that'd be tough to leave them again, but, I'm a two hour flight away and it gives them a nice place to visit in the winter.

Her one sister has been wanting to move down there for a long time and she says she would if we did. Her other sister is interested, too, and her dad has long had ties to Florida and would probably leave today. The thinking is if we pulled the trigger on the move her family would probably follow like dominoes falling.

I have a large group of really close friends here, but as it is with all of us "growing up" we see each other only a few times a year, anyway.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:58 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Yeah, we're both 24, just out of college making pretty good money. Both of our families live in Rockford, and I mean almost entire families. She would never leave and go live in Florida, unfortunately. I'd love to though. I'm fine not seeing family to often and think it would be cool for them to come vacation and see us. She'd rather see her family a couple times a week.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:41 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Man, I'm not seeing anything near that nice in northern Chicagoland. Mostly seeing condos in the 100-120K range.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Blue Liner

I'm telling ya, once upon a time I was the "Chicago is the greatest place in the world" guy and it was Chicago or bust. It's still one of the greatest cities on Earth, but I've been quite enlightened over time as to what a great place to live is or not. A great city and a great city to live in are two different things. It's all a matter of opinion, and I love my hometown, but there are greater and coincidentally more economical places to live than Chicago. It really comes down to the individual and what they ultimately are looking for.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Cullksinikers

I won't let myself move out of Illinois due to family, access and Chicago, and the fact I plan on going to a disgusting amount of Hawks, Bulls, and Cubs games.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
I won't let myself move out of Illinois due to family, access and Chicago, and the fact I plan on going to a disgusting amount of Hawks, Bulls, and Cubs games.
At your age I thought the same. Things change over the years. Not saying they will for you, but life has a funny way of evolving as you get older.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
At your age I thought the same. Things change over the years. Not saying they will for you, but life has a funny way of evolving as you get older.
There's a chance I won't have a choice depending on the job I have. If I have a say, I will stay.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
There's a chance I won't have a choice depending on the job I have. If I have a say, I will stay.
Not saying you're wrong, just saying life is not absolute. If you ask anyone in here I'm sure they are in a much different place in life than they thought they'd be when they were 18 years old. Not necessarily worse, not necessarily better, things just have their way of working out sometimes over the years.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Cullksinikers

I know I'll be different later, but I have been to some of the nicest places in the US (Arizona, Florida, San Francisco, etc.) and just like to visit. I believe I would lose appreciation for the beauty of those places if I saw the mountains or ocean out of my back window each day. It's all about preference.

Last edited by Cullksinikers: 04-21-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
I know I'll be different later, but I have been to some of the nicest places in the US (Arizona, Florida, San Francisco, etc.) and just like to visit. I beliebe I would lose appreciation for the beauty of those places if I saw the mountains or ocean out of my back window each day. It's all about preference.
Exactly.

As for losing appreciation for those things living there, never happened to me. If anything, being from a place like this I had all the more appreciation for those things and never took them for granted because I knew what it was like to live somewhere where they didn't exist. At this stage in my life, I'd rather live somewhere warm with beautiful sights every day than have to pay to visit them in lieu of shoveling snow in mid-April. Clearly an exaggeration (slight) but just making a point.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:07 PM
RayP
Registered Dad

Quote:
You better be racking in a boatload of money, or prepare to go 10% of the games you currently think you are. I also felt that way in HS, but once I got into college, I had kind of had enough of the area and got the **** out. Best decision I ever made, even though I love Chicago. It's a much better city to visit vs living in, IMO.

Quote:
I'm telling ya, once upon a time I was the "Chicago is the greatest place in the world" guy and it was Chicago or bust. It's still one of the greatest cities on Earth, but I've been quite enlightened over time as to what a great place to live is or not. A great city and a great city to live in are two different things. It's all a matter of opinion, and I love my hometown, but there are greater and coincidentally more economical places to live than Chicago. It really comes down to the individual and what they ultimately are looking for.
I am the same way, and honestly, I have no desire to move back... ever. I'm fine with my 2-3 visits a year. I wouldn't complain if I never moved far from this area. Atlanta is really on the rise, well the metro spots at least. A lot of surveys will say it's a miserable town to live in, mostly because of the traffic... but if you smartly plan out where you live and work the best you can, it's not an issue at all. I'll happily take my favorite bars down here over any of my favorites back in Chicago any day of the week. Only complaint is that drinks are definitely more expensive down here, oddly.

Quote:
I know, I can't get over it. There are a lot of really nice houses there for very good prices. My aunt and uncle live there so I know it's nice and I've had them doublecheck some addresses and they're all in good areas. None are foreclosures which is nice, too.

Yeah, real estate by us is pretty cheap too... but the house we are currently in is worth a little more than the second one you posted, but no where near as nice. Although we're in an awesome are and paying a bit extra just for that, and it's totally worth it.

Closed Thread