HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
04-14-2013, 11:20 AM
jazzykat

vCash: 500
I've been looking for high end sticks on clearance as the beginning of the post reccommends.

There are some really good prices on Mako sticks now. If I bought a Mako Shaft and Mako Blade would it be practically the same as a OP Mako?

I imagine pros may be able to tell the difference but I am between beginner and intermediate adult amateur.

Thanks!

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:01 PM
mistrhanky

I could definitely use some help here on a stick for next season. I currently use a Warrior Dolo with the Vanek curve, lie 5.5 I think. I love the lie on the stick and want to keep that as best I can. It is starting to crack and shred at the heel though(I am a pretty aggressive hacker as far as stick checking goes -- tough on sticks I guess) so I was looking for a replacement. I also really like the blade pattern as it is not a very aggressive curve at all, which makes my backhand easier. I have an 85 flex and can get some juice on a slapshot, but not a ton, and definitely no lift. Finally, limited budget.

Doing some searching I see that I can get a Warrior Diablo for about 100, or find the occasional dolo for about $80. Not sure what the difference is between a dolo and a dolo DD either. I want to get something around a 75 flex which is easy enough to find, but a vanek curve is not. Would something like a lidstrom come pretty close? I kind of like the square toe on it. What is the real difference between the dolo and the diablo?

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Diablo is lower kick point and felt stiffer to me than the Dolomite. Good puck feel though. I would try and find a Dolomite if you could.

Sounds like 75 flex would work well for you.

Lidstrom is a big open curve with a 6 lie while the Vanek was a mild slightly open curve with a 5 lie. I think you'd have problems with the lie to be honest.

Two options:

Burrows if you could deal with the slighter more closed curve
Kopitar if you could use a little more loft (and a slightly higher lie at 5.5)

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 02:20 AM
holden57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquenstein View Post
I can get it for 50 . (I'm located in europe)
I have an R6 in whip flex. Perhaps the fact its a whip flex is the reason I like it, but for a fairly inexpensive stick I have no complaints.

holden57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:55 AM
mistrhanky

Thanks Jarick. Going to try to find one of those. On the issue of my old stick cracking at the heel, is that likely from general wear and tear, or could it be from pounding it against the ice when trying to take slapshots? I am usually pretty attentive to the blade and this seems to have gotten bad in a real hurry.

Old
04-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How long did it take to crack? How often do you play?

Old
04-19-2013, 12:07 PM
mistrhanky

I play 2-3 times a week, picked it up in late November. I really only started picking up any decent attempt at a slapshot in the last month or so. That is why I wonder if maybe I am coming down on the heel to much instead of loading the stick properly. Just seemed like the heel started to shred really quick. I do chop a lot with the stick though and get some pretty good dings on the shaft just above the blade. Mostly want to make sure that if this is out of the ordinary, and it might be related to my shot, that I don't damage another one prematurely.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:59 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
I play 2-3 times a week, picked it up in late November. I really only started picking up any decent attempt at a slapshot in the last month or so. That is why I wonder if maybe I am coming down on the heel to much instead of loading the stick properly. Just seemed like the heel started to shred really quick. I do chop a lot with the stick though and get some pretty good dings on the shaft just above the blade. Mostly want to make sure that if this is out of the ordinary, and it might be related to my shot, that I don't damage another one prematurely.
It's possible that the lie is too high or the stick is too long. I had that heel problem at one time and my stick was as short as I wanted to go, so I tried the same blade curve in a 4 lie instead of a 5 lie and it solved the problem for me. It doesn't mean your case is the same but it's definitely something to consider.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

And this was a Dolomite you said? Do you know which model/year it was? The early Dolomite blades were tanks, but the HD and DD blades would crack sooner.

It could be your stick is a little long and/or you could use a lower lie. Honestly if you used it 2-3 times per week for close to six months, that's pretty acceptable wear IMO.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Devil Dancer

Hockey Giant has a pretty decent deal on Easton sticks right now. The older Mako models are down to $150 for seniors, $140 intermediate.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 09:28 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Hockey Giant has a pretty decent deal on Easton sticks right now. The older Mako models are down to $150 for seniors, $140 intermediate.
And for those people complaining about higher prices in Canada, National Sports has had the Mako on sale for $130 for more than a week now and will continue until the 24th.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:57 AM
TieClark

I really want to try a Nexus 1000 with a Kane curve but I can't justify spending the money when I have an AI9 and N12 already

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:08 AM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
And this was a Dolomite you said? Do you know which model/year it was? The early Dolomite blades were tanks, but the HD and DD blades would crack sooner.

It could be your stick is a little long and/or you could use a lower lie. Honestly if you used it 2-3 times per week for close to six months, that's pretty acceptable wear IMO.
It is an '11 DD/Vanek/85/lie 5.5. I am 6'4" and I skate pretty straight up.

Old
04-20-2013, 10:26 AM
AIREAYE

Vanek is listed as a Warrior lie 4. Warrior doesn't denote half lies.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:50 PM
mistrhanky

Indeed sit, you are correct. For some reason, I was certain it was a 5.5, but they are a 4. Generally speaking, the lie of the stick feels pretty good to me. I used to have to retake after nearly every game on a previous stick I had because I would destroy the tape about halfway between mid blade and heel. With this stick and lie though, I only change tape for cuts and gashes on the blade face. Of course, I was not really ever close to hitting a slapped before, so maybe now tha I am trying more of them, it has accelerated the wear because of the way I strike the ice. I suspect maybe I am hitting the ice with to much downforce in an effort to flex the stick anyway.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:33 PM
LarryO

Keep in mind that a Warrior 4 lie is an actual 5 lie.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:43 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Keep in mind that a Warrior 4 lie is an actual 5 lie.
Not really, Warrior measures their lies differently than everyone else so you can't really say that. Common misconception. Other manufacturers also measure their lies differently from each other, so there isn't anything 'actual'.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:34 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Not really, Warrior measures their lies differently than everyone else so you can't really say that. Common misconception. Other manufacturers also measure their lies differently from each other, so there isn't anything 'actual'.
Most other major brands measure their lies very similarly, and their 5 lie compares to the Warrior 4 lie.

Warrior 4 = other brands 5
Warrior 5 = other brands 5.5
Warrior 6 = other brands 6

I guess that's why Warrior, as you say, "doesn't denote half lies".

The Vanek actually plays closer to 5.25 lie of other brands.

Last edited by LarryO: 04-21-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

+1 to Larry's post

Old
04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
I really want to try a Nexus 1000 with a Kane curve but I can't justify spending the money when I have an AI9 and N12 already
I had this stick and IMO it is pretty unimpressive. There is nothing wrong with it, but to me it lacked pop. For a $250 stick I just expected more. The blade cracked after about 8 months of heavy use. Could just be me though.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:51 PM
AIREAYE

It's not an equivalence, you will notice differences between the companies. It's close and a practical starting point to look for similar lies, but they are not equal.

Old
04-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

HOCKEY STICKS - Buying Guide & Advice

Just testing something out.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:25 AM
str8shooter
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
I could definitely use some help here on a stick for next season. I currently use a Warrior Dolo with the Vanek curve, lie 5.5 I think. I love the lie on the stick and want to keep that as best I can. It is starting to crack and shred at the heel though(I am a pretty aggressive hacker as far as stick checking goes -- tough on sticks I guess) so I was looking for a replacement. I also really like the blade pattern as it is not a very aggressive curve at all, which makes my backhand easier. I have an 85 flex and can get some juice on a slapshot, but not a ton, and definitely no lift. Finally, limited budget.

Doing some searching I see that I can get a Warrior Diablo for about 100, or find the occasional dolo for about $80. Not sure what the difference is between a dolo and a dolo DD either. I want to get something around a 75 flex which is easy enough to find, but a vanek curve is not. Would something like a lidstrom come pretty close? I kind of like the square toe on it. What is the real difference between the dolo and the diablo?
Not trying to be rude here but if your slapshot is really that poor, try to invest some money in shooting lessons and buy the cheapest stick you can find right now. Gretzky probably could have scored goals with a pool cue.

str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
polysaturate

Hate to be that guy, but...

Intermediate, flex in the 60's...i'm looking at:

Mako(original), as it is 2012 and on clearance now
-or-
Mako II m3(same exact price point, just this years)
-or-
CCM RBZ 60(heard good things about the variable kick, bad things about puck/blade feel)
-or-
...anything anyone else thinks would be a good choice at this price point(100-150)

Personally, I am leaning towards the Mako 2012...

polysaturate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Do you mean the original Mako (high end) vs Mako M3 II (price point)? I would take the original Mako in that case.

Do you have a preference of kick point?