HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Messier Endorses National Ice Center for the Bronx (9 Rinks)

Old
11-20-2012, 07:41 AM
nyruss

vCash: 500
Op-Ed in yesterday's Daily News
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1204827

nyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:41 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyruss View Post
"The Kingsbridge National Ice Center would bring a total of nine regulation hockey rinks to the Kingsbridge Armory, featuring a 5,000-seat showplace arena as its anchor, making it one of the largest ice sports centers in the world, if not the largest.

Economically speaking, KNIC will be an important economic engine for the Bronx and the city, in more ways than the originally proposed retail mall ever could. According to a March 2012 study by HR&A Advisors, prepared by the KNIC developers, transforming the Kingsbridge Armory into the greatest ice sports center in the world would have a net new economic impact of $1.3 billion on New York City.
"

GordonGecko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 03:01 AM
theJUMPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
This story is really pretty awesome. So great for the area, and the city. Give inner city kids somewhere to go, and watch the DRAMATIC impact it has on the rest of their lives.

Maybe the USA can produce some black hockey players, now.

Mike Grier is the only one I can think of. Who else?

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
This story is really pretty awesome. So great for the area, and the city. Give inner city kids somewhere to go, and watch the DRAMATIC impact it has on the rest of their lives.

Maybe the USA can produce some black hockey players, now.

Mike Grier is the only one I can think of. Who else?
According to Wikipedia:

Kyle Okposo
Francis Bouillon
Dustin Byfuglien
Donald Brashear (Born in America, but grew up in Canada)
Val James
Mike McHugh
Gerald Coleman
JT Brown
Robbie Earl
Greg Mauldin

I can't say I ever heard of the players who aren't in bold.

12-02-2012, 08:01 AM
nyruss

Friday's Wall St Journal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...EYWORDS=armory

Old
12-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyruss View Post
can't access the link unless you're a subcriber.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:48 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Here's the article:

Differing Visions for Armory
November 29, 2012, 10:16 p.m. ET
By GABBY WARSHAWER

Residents and elected officials in the Kingsbridge section of the Bronx have spent nearly two decades trying to redevelop the neighborhood's imposing armory on West 195th Street, but various plans for reusing the long-vacant structure have failed to come to fruition.

The landmark armory, which was built in the 1910s and occupies nearly a full city block at the southern tip of the neighborhood, is seen as having the potential to provide a significant economic boost to the area. But the most recent plan for its redevelopment—a shopping mall backed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg—was voted down by the City Council in 2010.

The city's Economic Development Corp. now is weighing new proposals. A spokesman for the corporation said it hopes to pick a winning plan by the end of the year.

The two most prominent plans have sparked differences between local politicians and an influential community group, setting the stage for another battle over the property after a proposal is chosen.

One proposal for the armory calls for creating the Kingsbridge National Ice Center, billed as the biggest facility for ice sports in the world. It has received endorsements from local politicians that include Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.

But one influential community group says the developers behind a competing plan called Mercado Mirabo, a multiuse facility in the vein of Chelsea Market, have been more receptive to neighborhood concerns.

"Neither project is perfect, but KNIC's is less flexible because it revolves around ice," Alice McIntosh, a leader for the Kingsbridge Armory Redevelopment Alliance, a grass-roots campaign that had joined with Mr. Diaz in opposing the mall plan in 2010. "What if we don't want to skate?"

John DeSio, the director of communications for Mr. Diaz, said that "both proposals are good, but we think the ice center is better."

KNIC's proposal would transform the armory into a giant sports facility solely devoted to ice hockey and other ice sports. The largest of its nine rinks would seat up to 5,000 spectators. There also would be recreational skating and lessons; special events such as tournaments; and a free after-school program for youth involving both academic help and skating lessons.

The president of KNIC Partners, Jonathan Richter, a New York real-estate developer who has played amateur hockey for more than 35 years, said that his group has worked to make its plans transparent to the neighborhood. He said in a statement that KNIC has met frequently with community boards and neighborhood organizations and "will continue this dialogue as long as we are part of the redevelopment process."

The Mercado Mirabo concept being pitched by New York-based developer YoungWoo & Associates would put the armory to a wide variety of uses at the same time.

It calls for a holiday and weekend marketplace with hundreds of small vendors selling merchandise and food in rows of stalls as well as two larger anchor retail tenants. It would also have space for concerts and conferences, a first-run movie theater, a hip-hop museum, a Crunch fitness gym, a youth basketball program and a rock-climbing wall described as the world's tallest.

"We give the example of Chelsea Market as a comparison for what we want to do," said Adam Zucker, director of business development for YoungWoo. "Fifteen years ago, people thought it was crazy to develop it and that West Chelsea was a no man's land, but now it's seen as the godfather of what Chelsea has become."

Both development teams commissioned economic studies, with the ice center projecting two million visitors a year and $1.3 billion in benefits over 30 years, while Mercado Mirabo is expecting 1.13 million visitors a year and $180 million in benefits annually.

Mr. Diaz is backing the ice-center plan because the developers are promising to pay above minimum wages to all workers at the ice center and to provide community space.

Mercado Mirabo's developers said they can't do the same because they can't control the wages that operators at the market would pay. They said they are willing to sign a community benefits agreement.

Retail spaces near the armory now include a mixture of small businesses and chains such as McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts and Duane Reade. In the area immediately surrounding the armory, 34% of families had an income below the poverty level, according to the Census's 2006-10 American Community Survey.

"Something, anything, would be good," said Salvatore Bruno, the owner of a photocopying business, Copy Shop, near the armory since 1984. "I don't really care what goes in, but I think a skating rink might be too glitzy for the area. It's more like something you see in Scarsdale."

State Sen. Gustavo Rivera, who lives a block away from the armory, supports the ice-center proposal because it would be "iconic and something that's never been in the Bronx before." Nevertheless, he said: "I would hope that whatever ultimately happens, it's something we could get together on."

Old
04-21-2013, 11:40 AM
nyruss

an update on those rinks in the Bronx....

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1322073

Old
04-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Pizza

What a great idea this is on so many levels.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Tikkanese

Kingsbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
That main rink looks like it could house a D-1 team or an ECHL/AHL team. Is there anything in the works for that?
I think the only way this gets done is if the Rangers move the Whale there or the Islanders leave Bridgeport (no difference in safety between the two), or perhaps if the Devils left Albany. An AHL team in the Bronx would be pretty cool, and only 30 blocks from Yankee Stadium, and on the same subway line (B,D).

Add in a Fordham hockey program and additional memberships from area high schools and smaller colleges (Columbia, Lehman, etc) and you can get a solid rental income base established. Adult hockey programs will become popular and provide a lot of revenue too. Chelsea Piers is charging almost $600 per player per 16-game adult hockey season - there is plenty of demand from Westchester and Uptown Manhattan residents for this.

And you can guarantee the NYPD presence in the area will be noticeable and effective once the Armory is not a deserted ruin.

That said, it looks to me that they could to this with five rinks (four on one side plus the "showplace" center court) and four basketball courts and/or indoor soccer fields.

Tikkanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanese View Post
I think the only way this gets done is if the Rangers move the Whale there or the Islanders leave Bridgeport (no difference in safety between the two), or perhaps if the Devils left Albany. An AHL team in the Bronx would be pretty cool, and only 30 blocks from Yankee Stadium, and on the same subway line (B,D).

Add in a Fordham hockey program and additional memberships from area high schools and smaller colleges (Columbia, Lehman, etc) and you can get a solid rental income base established. Adult hockey programs will become popular and provide a lot of revenue too. Chelsea Piers is charging almost $600 per player per 16-game adult hockey season - there is plenty of demand from Westchester and Uptown Manhattan residents for this.

And you can guarantee the NYPD presence in the area will be noticeable and effective once the Armory is not a deserted ruin.

That said, it looks to me that they could to this with five rinks (four on one side plus the "showplace" center court) and four basketball courts and/or indoor soccer fields.

I really hope this would push Fordham into getting a varsity program. I know NYU was considering making the push, but even that I think could only be D3. Is there a minimum for seating for D3 teams? If not they'd probably stay at Chelsea Piers, but if so this would be a great opportunity.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur

vCash: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanese View Post

This would be very cool.

I really hope it gets done because the last thing we need up there is another movie theater / shopping mall.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 07:26 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardacus View Post
This would be very cool.

I really hope it gets done because the last thing we need up there is another movie theater / shopping mall.
The problem is that most of the people that live near that area are thinking the last thing we need is 9 hockey rinks.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:37 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I thought I read that one of these rinks would be outdoors...?

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Sarah Hughes is at the armory for the announcement. Looks like this is a go

Old
04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

@NYCEDC: NEWS: We have an agreement to transform the Kingsbridge Armory in the Bronx into the world’s largest ice sports facility. #jobs

Old
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
nyruss

done deal in the Bronx!

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/130429968

Old
04-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Pizza

More home grown Rangers in the decades ahead. Very good then.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Pizza

I'd love it if the Rangers could host a tournament similar to the one they do in Traverse City every summer.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:50 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Nice! Maybe we'll finally start to see some NY Metro area prospects in the future, instead of just NJ, Conn, Upstate, LI, prospects we get from the tri-state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'd love it if the Rangers could host a tournament similar to the one they do in Traverse City every summer.
That would be amazing, I would do everything I can do to attend.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Renderings: Kingsbridge Armory Will Be "World's Largest Indoor Ice Facility"
http://gothamist.com/2013/04/23/king..._l.php#photo-5

Old
04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
nyrmetros

Sounds awesome, but that Throggs Neck Bridge toll would kill me on a regular basis....

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Sounds awesome, but that Throggs Neck Bridge toll would kill me on a regular basis....
Maybe if you're driving up from Long Island or Queens/Brooklyn, but from Manhattan it'll be easy with a 4 train stop right outside the building. Also people from Westchester will have an easy time driving in