HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Agreed. It would take a huge overpayment to move him to a divisional rival but, to move him to the Habs, impossible? Who wouldn't love to have a player like that though? Unfortunate that they cost so much to acquire. It'd probably take something around Pacioretty.
Lucic for Pacioretty Not only it has 0% of chance of happening, it would be the funniest trade ever considering how both sides hates theses players.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Draft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
Lucic for Pacioretty Not only it has 0% of chance of happening, it would be the funniest trade ever considering how both sides hates theses players.
I can't even imagine trying to feel good about cheering for Lucic. I think the only players I would welcome from Boston would be Bergeron, Caron and Jagr. Otherwise, let them stay in Boston. Getting Lucic is ridiculous, any idea what it would take to acquire Caron? Could be signed to an offer sheet, Boston may struggle to match it and with Soderberg filling his spot, who knows? We could give him an excellent shot at sticking in the NHL on our 3rd line next year.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Zero chance they trade him to Montreal.
Id say theres a 0.0001 % chance.

I'm so happy the Habs chose Maxwell over Lucic.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post

I'm sure all 29 other teams regret not taking lucic.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I can't even imagine trying to feel good about cheering for Lucic. I think the only players I would welcome from Boston would be Bergeron, Caron and Jagr. Otherwise, let them stay in Boston. Getting Lucic is ridiculous, any idea what it would take to acquire Caron? Could be signed to an offer sheet, Boston may struggle to match it and with Soderberg filling his spot, who knows? We could give him an excellent shot at sticking in the NHL on our 3rd line next year.
Caron? Offer sheet? WTF? Is this his mom or brother posting?

Old
04-21-2013, 07:50 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
We are 3-1 against Boston, who is better than Toronto and has a meaner defense. Toronto overall is notthat physical a team they just dress 3 goons.
Toronto's defense is very physical when compared to either Boston or Montreal.., don't know what you have been watching

Old
04-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Hugo Sham

somehow some way target any two combo of clowe, boll, clifford, etc...

Old
04-22-2013, 01:32 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
somehow some way target any two combo of clowe, boll, clifford, etc...
Why would we when we have Gionta, Bouillion and Desharnais?

Old
04-22-2013, 02:58 AM
schumway2

It's not too hard to figure out...

Between Plekanec and DD there's one too many, and I think we know who
Between Gionta and Gallagher there's one too many, and I think we know who
Between Boullion, Weber and Diaz there's two too many, and I think we know who

We need to replace those players with larger bodies. Is that possible in one offseason? Unlikely but we can start.

Old
04-22-2013, 03:21 AM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post

We need to replace those players with larger bodies. Is that possible in one offseason? Unlikely but we can start.
+1000

I'd trade Moen for a 7th pick if he's a no-show for the upcoming PO as well.

Old
04-22-2013, 04:53 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Caron? Offer sheet? WTF? Is this his mom or brother posting?
Not that you really deserve a reply...

Caron is 6'2 203lbs. Plays a very strong game with the puck. Excels in front of the net and along the boards. Isn't the most agile skater but has great hands, could likely score ~20 goals in the NHL. His defensive and physical game are more than ready to play in the NHL. Hasn't been given the chance to realize his potential in Boston, might be able to stick in Montreal. There's likely room for him on the 3rd or 4th line next year.

Any offer sheet under ~3.3mil only has the compensation of a 2nd round pick, fair value for Caron. At the very least they match it and have more cap troubles. I wouldn't worry about trying to stay in Boston's good books, who cares?

There's little to no risk involved. If we lose our 2nd round pick, it's a shame but, we get a good player back who's NHL-ready.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:11 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:

Caron is 6'2 203lbs. Plays a very strong game with the puck. Excels in front of the net and along the boards. Isn't the most agile skater but has great hands, could likely score ~20 goals in the NHL. His defensive and physical game are more than ready to play in the NHL. Hasn't been given the chance to realize his potential in Boston, might be able to stick in Montreal. There's likely room for him on the 3rd or 4th line next year.

Any offer sheet under ~3.3mil only has the compensation of a 2nd round pick, fair value for Caron. At the very least they match it and have more cap troubles. I wouldn't worry about trying to stay in Boston's good books, who cares?

There's little to no risk involved. If we lose our 2nd round pick, it's a shame but, we get a good player back who's NHL-ready.
Caron is not physical for his size, and hasn't even scored 15 goals in the AHL yet. He is not the type of NHL ready prospect you sacrifice picks for

Old
04-22-2013, 05:16 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:

Bergevin would rather give up on a good season, allow out rivals to strengthen, and extend mediocre players than to trade a coveted 2nd round pick.

See how great our defense looks with those three 2nd round picks holding the fort while Emelin is injured? See them energizing our offense while our forwards are running out of steam?

Those seconds are valuable man!! Bergevin would rather give up a playoff run than trade them.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:41 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Caron is not physical for his size, and hasn't even scored 15 goals in the AHL yet. He is not the type of NHL ready prospect you sacrifice picks for
He hasn't played more than 48 games in a season in the NHL/AHL, he has had some injury troubles. He doesn't go around punching guys or laying huge hits but, Caron definitely uses his size when he plays.

Quote:

I think the only place Gionta would be traded is NJ and there's no one there that would fill his scoring ability, no prospects or roster players that they'd be willing to give up. Tallinder and Volchenkov might be okay but they don't even have the picks/prospects to supplement those trades.

DD honestly can't be that hard to trade. I really hope he is, even if it's for a prospect and picks.

Bouillon and Weber have 0 value to other teams so... let them walk? According to the big board, it may be possible to trade Diaz for Colborne.

It's hard to replace all of these player's offence. Big guys with offence cost a lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Bergevin would rather give up on a good season, allow out rivals to strengthen, and extend mediocre players than to trade a coveted 2nd round pick.

See how great our defense looks with those three 2nd round picks holding the fort while Emelin is injured? See them energizing our offense while our forwards are running out of steam?

Those seconds are valuable man!! Bergevin would rather give up a playoff run than trade them.
We might appreciate it if we get another Subban-like pick, who knows? We are rebuilding though, gotta keep the future in mind.

Last edited by Draft: 04-22-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old
04-22-2013, 06:38 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:

Being from Rimouski, I've always considered that Caron was drafted too early in the draft and brought in the NHL too soon. I wouldn't say that he didn't have his chance in Boston but when had, he wasn't ready.

He needs a change of scenery but I wouldn't give a 2nd round pick for him. I could see him being a decent fit but the most I would give up is Weber and a mid pick.

Old
04-22-2013, 06:54 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
Being from Rimouski, I've always considered that Caron was drafted too early in the draft and brought in the NHL too soon. I wouldn't say that he didn't have his chance in Boston but when had, he wasn't ready.

He needs a change of scenery but I wouldn't give a 2nd round pick for him. I could see him being a decent fit but the most I would give up is Weber and a mid pick.
Awesome! Exactly the kind of info I needed on him. From what I could tell, his development was handled quite poorly by the Boston management. If he's given the opportunity to succeed I think he will. Plays a style that Montreal really needs, could be an excellent complimentary piece if nothing else he could be an excellent complimentary piece. Weber + 3rd?

Old
04-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I would not mind trading for Cormier in the off season. The guy has a nasty streak, he can play hockey, he has a decent size but I don't think he has been well handled by the Jets. We could get him for cheap.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

That's because Bergevin isn't an emotional bipolar fan. He's not going to drive off course just because of a 36 game sample in a transitional year.

First off, Emelin wasn't injured at the deadline.
Second, he brought in a bit of depth and size in the bottom pair.
Third, Diaz was expected to make an eventual return.
Fourth, Emelin's injury has nothing to do with our current poor play.
Fifth, and most importantly, trading away our picks for the likes of Robyn Regehr would not guarantee a long playoff run.

We were 28th in the NHL last year, in a short condensed year, we challenge for the top seed of our division. That's a very small sample size and is likely to be an anomaly more than solid improvements. Over the long ups and downs of a full year, we'd probably be a POs bubble team and at the very best around 5-6th.
So Bergevin rather hold on to his picks than trade them for rentals in what is likely to be a mirage of a season.

Ya, a 2nd round pick will not help us now, however, you're fully aware that Bergevin said it will take some time to rebuilt, he believes in doing it through the draft and development of our prospects. Pretty sure you were happy to hear that at the time.
Having 4 picks in the top two rounds certainly increases our odds of landing better prospects than if we only had two, or one pick.

Also, we pretty much have the same team coming back next year, so if this is the real deal team, then we'll be just as good and go for it next season with 4 new top 2 rounds prospects. No need to go all in at the deadline in such a small and condensed transitional year.

Stop being over dramatic.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:

3.3 million for an AHL player plus a 2nd round pick. The Xbox console must be broken. Give up the love affair with Caron. We'll take if he is free and give him a two way $650,000 contract.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:38 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
What is Milan Lucic worth?

Despite the disappointing season, and the fact that he is a hated player in MTL, I'm sure everyone would love to have him wearing a Habs jersey. Probably the player who has caused the most damage to our team in the past 5 years. I feel like he is exactly the player we need on our top 6 to complement our little guys.

If Bergevin was to trade him for our 1st round pick/Nashville's 2nd Round and a 3rd round + prospect(s) (Beaulieu/Kristo), I would be extremely satisfied. Even with a deep draft, and even considering Lucic is having a bad season. Keep in mind Lucic brings much more than points to the table. 55-65 pts Lucic>70pts any offensive player
So:

1. Lucic is a risky choice. His best days are behind him.
2. He has a history of injuring and fighting Habs, and suddenly he's playing for us. It's absurd.
3. You offer up Beaulieu or Kristo for him. I just cannot believe you did that. That is way too much already. AND a 1, 2 and 3? Do you think Lucic is Jesus or something?
4. Trades in division are very rare.

Otherwise, bang on. Not. Bergy would be dragged out and hung for a trade like that. It would ruin the Habs for the next 7 years.

Keep your day job mate!

Old
04-22-2013, 09:49 AM
bsl

Quote:

Bergevin started his job as GM of the Habs this summer. Emelin was injured the day of the deadline, too late to make a trade. You need to put your special magic thinking baseball cap on again. I told you never to take it off. Back in your box, and be good.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

I say we wait til the end of next season to reshape the D core! Lots of UFA and it'll give the team more time to evaluate Beaulieu and Tinordi.

After next years season, our core should be Subban, Emelin, Gorges and Diaz.

As for the forwards, well I hope we can improve as of this offseason.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:30 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:

I agree with the 2 first points, but as for Bouillon, Diaz and Weber... Le Jeune Vebbaire needs to get rid of, which Bergevin is going to do. Bouillon and Diaz offer very different styles. Bouillon is grit, and although he has good puck moving skills to get out of the defensive zone, he ain't no offensive talent. Diaz is great in the offensive zone, a great passer and puck mover, although he gets overpowered often, I feel he has improved the defensive aspect of his game this year (from the little we have seen). I think a team can be successful with having Bouillon on 6th and Diaz on 4th, and I think Bergevin thinks that too. What's Diaz's contractual situation? being an older player, is he RFA or UFA? or does he still have a year to his deal?

Old
04-22-2013, 10:31 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post

I was just hypothetically speaking, of course. I doubt Boston will ever move him, like I said. Just curious as to what people think he is worth.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
I agree with the 2 first points, but as for Bouillon, Diaz and Weber... Le Jeune Vebbaire needs to get rid of, which Bergevin is going to do. Bouillon and Diaz offer very different styles. Bouillon is grit, and although he has good puck moving skills to get out of the defensive zone, he ain't no offensive talent. Diaz is great in the offensive zone, a great passer and puck mover, although he gets overpowered often, I feel he has improved the defensive aspect of his game this year (from the little we have seen). I think a team can be successful with having Bouillon on 6th and Diaz on 4th, and I think Bergevin thinks that too. What's Diaz's contractual situation? being an older player, is he RFA or UFA? or does he still have a year to his deal?
He has a year after this one on his current contract and then is UFA. If he plays like he was pre-injury then he would get top 4 kind of money, say $4M or so on 4-5 years as a UFA. MB needs to make a call on him to either try signing him long term or else trade him because he will have value if he picks up where he left off.

Closed Thread