Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

WHL announces severe sanctions against Winterhawks

Old
12-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elioplieno View Post
The thing with the Hawks recently is they have been trading away draft picks like candy. They have been able to get players on their team that have been undrafted, or picked up late in the draft. This will effect them of course, but to what extent? Stay tuned.
Hence the sanctions.

No chance it will be business as usual picking off NCAA players.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Elioplieno

vCash: 500

Elioplieno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:53 PM
PCSPounder

Funny how so many people believe there's more to the sanctions than what's stated by the Winterhawks and, BTW, corroborated by the league. Meanwhile, there are no restrictions on Christmas gifts to players.

None.

This is a snow job.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 03:41 AM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
Funny how so many people believe there's more to the sanctions than what's stated by the Winterhawks and, BTW, corroborated by the league. Meanwhile, there are no restrictions on Christmas gifts to players.

None.

This is a snow job.
?

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post

None.

This is a snow job.
yes there are,

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/12...ts-to-players/

it is in fact a limit of "a couple hundred dollars".

phillipsj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2012, 12:40 PM
PCSPounder

The words "came up with" are in the article. Curious, that.

Have any of us seen the rule book? Is there one? How easily changed is it?

Even if Portland is chased out (and all this has put a damper on arena renovation plans, so it's not out of the realm of possibility), does any of this really protect the small market clubs? There may be a cat-herding issue here.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:53 AM
beenhereandthere

Is there any update on this? Have the WHawks considered legal action against the WHL?

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Is there any update on this? Have the WHawks considered legal action against the WHL?
I doubt they will go that route.

It was overkill but the Hawks are still stacked for a couple of years.

I live in Vancouver and the owner of the Giants owns a restaurant chain, and players have gotten free meals, people shouldn't kids themselves.

Some teams flirt with the rules because they can, some centers are too small and can't offer the same types of accommodation for players or their families.

The rules are there to benefit the weak teams.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:53 PM
PCSPounder

For a while, the Winterhawks organization was in confrontation mode. My suspicion now... as they determined the fans weren't going to abandon the games and the team (granted, a darn good team), they cooled the rhetoric.

After I went through my grief stages, I found myself asking what a lawsuit would do. I can't see a good reason. Thing is, given Bill Gallacher was talking about bringing franchises from other leagues into town BEFORE the sanctions, and given the now stalled progress on Memorial Coliseum renovations, AND given the possibility of NHL in Seattle (the big draws in Portland are almost always T-Birds games), it makes sense to at least me that Gallacher is reconsidering all the options. Will the Winterhawks be in this league in 5 years? I have doubts.

Another observation: the Winterhawks have done this with more than a few US-based players. It's caught my attention that players who have a choice are more likely to skip college for WHL if it's a US market OR a bigger Canadian market. It's not uniform; when Portland had the previous bad owners, who'd want to come here? This organization seems to have hit some jackpots scouting the states AND, oddly enough, finding people outside the draft (at least for forwards, perhaps goalies... I'm not sure about how stacked this team is if the top 4 defenders all leave for NHL after this season). If this is a trend (open question), the real question becomes the viability of the small markets in the long term. I have doubts that they're sustainable.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:43 PM
BWK Fan 97

Isn't it just a little suspicious how Seth Jones told Everett that he was going to college, but as soon as he was traded to Portland he chooses to sign? I think there has to be some connection, aka money under the table that Everett couldn't afford to give him.

BWK Fan 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:46 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWK Fan 97 View Post
Isn't it just a little suspicious how Seth Jones told Everett that he was going to college, but as soon as he was traded to Portland he chooses to sign? I think there has to be some connection, aka money under the table that Everett couldn't afford to give him.
I remembering reading an interview with Seth, and his reasoning for not going to Everett was he had a really good relationship with their old GM, and he probably would have gone to there... then they fired said GM (can't think of his name right now). I really doubt it had anything to do with "funny money".

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:49 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I remembering reading an interview with Seth, and his reasoning for not going to Everett was he had a really good relationship with their old GM, and he probably would have gone to there... then they fired said GM (can't think of his name right now). I really doubt it had anything to do with "funny money".
Not to mention that, even though I think his father didn't really raise him, he's an NBA assistant coach and 11-year journeyman NBA player. While many of those cats aren't so good at managing their money, I kind of doubt we're talking poor folk here.

Old
04-22-2013, 05:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
No, it's not necessarily suspicious. Players are more likely to join some teams compared to others...it's the reality of the situation, shady business or not.

Portland was a proven club with a very good recent history of being successful and developing high draft picks. When deciding between the two, 9.9 out of 10 kids would've likely rather joined the Winterhawks over Everett.

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:25 PM
BWK Fan 97

Not disagreeing with you at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
No, it's not necessarily suspicious. Players are more likely to join some teams compared to others...it's the reality of the situation, shady business or not.

Portland was a proven club with a very good recent history of being successful and developing high draft picks. When deciding between the two, 9.9 out of 10 kids would've likely rather joined the Winterhawks over Everett.
I agree, Portland has been one of the best teams in the WHL the past few years. However, it just seems like there has to be more than what the Winterhawks listed as reasons why they got this fine/ suspension/ forfeiture of picks etc. I'm not saying he's guilty, it just looks like one heck of a coincidence that after he decides to come to the "dub", Portland gets these crazy sanctions.

BWK Fan 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
I agree, Portland has been one of the best teams in the WHL the past few years. However, it just seems like there has to be more than what the Winterhawks listed as reasons why they got this fine/ suspension/ forfeiture of picks etc. I'm not saying he's guilty, it just looks like one heck of a coincidence that after he decides to come to the "dub", Portland gets these crazy sanctions.
The sanctions had, in part, to due with the flying and picking up the costs for the parents of some of the lesser players over their recent past.

The actual penalties in lost draft picks was overkill and there might be a backing off on that front, or maybe not.

Either way Portland will have a pretty decent team for at least 2 or 3 more years, after that might be a dry spell.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 12:38 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Being a soccer fan, watching how club sports have changed the landscape, watching the effects of this on bigger leagues; watching the effects of European ball and puck on things here, the following is a message that needs to be sent.

Parents are getting better and better at gaming the system... or really systems. Kids may pick up on that, too. Since the law may not come down on the side of restricting choices for development of talent (at least in USA), more and more people will do this. I don't think it's suspicious; I think it's a bit of law of the jungle, and teams and leagues will have to learn how to deal if they want to be relevant.