HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais - "Time for a Change" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 11:39 AM
MonkeyBusiness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher back at practice together

Unbelievable...
So clueless, it should be clear by now that it isn't working. Plus the Eller line with Gallagher were the only bright spot last night.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

That's gross.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher back at practice together

Unbelievable...
I believe it.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:47 AM
overlords
Hfboards

I bet therrien has begged Bergevin to get Cole back.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Desharnais can't do much without Pacioretty. Not even his fault since he's never really played with anyone else past couple seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
So clueless, it should be clear by now that it isn't working. Plus the Eller line with Gallagher were the only bright spot last night.
Eller can play with anyone though and relatively bring same effectiveness. Gallagher-Eller means nothing if DD brings negative presence.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 04-21-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
04-21-2013, 12:12 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Desharnais can't do much without Pacioretty. Not even be his fault since he's never really played with anyone else past couple seasons.
They both played like crap even when they were together.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I bet therrien has begged Bergevin to get Cole back.
It might sound insane, but I really believe Pacioretty and Desharnais (even with Patches having a near-point-per-game pace) have looked off without Cole on their wing. He brought an element to that line that has been missing now, no disrespect to Gallagher, who is miscast as the only offensive weapon on that line right now.

Don't underestimate chemistry. Those guys had it.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
It might sound insane, but I really believe Pacioretty and Desharnais (even with Patches having a near-point-per-game pace) have looked off without Cole on their wing. He brought an element to that line that has been missing now, no disrespect to Gallagher, who is miscast as the only offensive weapon on that line right now.

Don't underestimate chemistry. Those guys had it.
I just think they need another winger with size on the right side, they've been completely ineffective with Gallagher. I'd try Bourque on the right side and hope he can start playing like he did before his injury. Also Ryder needs to be back with Plekanec and Gionta, no clue why that line was ever broken up.

Ryder - Plekanec - Gionta
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Bourque
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gally

Old
04-21-2013, 12:23 PM
poetryinmotion

Pacioretty still plays the same kind of game as he did with Cole on his line. He skates past the blue line and saucers a 20 ft lob at the goalie in hopes of a rebound for Cole as he's speeding towards the net... but there is no more Cole...

Old
04-21-2013, 12:26 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Desharnais can't do much without Pacioretty. Not even his fault since he's never really played with anyone else past couple seasons.

Eller can play with anyone though and relatively bring same effectiveness. Gallagher-Eller means nothing if DD brings negative presence.
You're still reuniting a line that did nothing, that's what bothers me.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:09 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
You're still reuniting a line that did nothing, that's what bothers me.
Nothing is a strong word:
http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/ga.html
and
http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/gf.html

Old
04-21-2013, 02:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

I guess therrien wanted to get them on edge then bring them back and hope it motivated them.

With 3 games left makes more sense to spark a line than try to find new chemistry. Lets see if it pays off.

Old
04-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Et le But

I thought Pacioretty looked relatively productive with Plekanec. Not sure I understand this.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:39 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I thought Pacioretty looked relatively productive with Plekanec. Not sure I understand this.
Easy. Let me explain.

Therrien's boss, aka Bergevin, just gave Desharnais a freaking four year contract.
Therrien can not make his boss look bad ... Desharnais will keep getting first line duty.

Bergevin f**ked up, and now Therrien has to deal with the backwash.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Easy. Let me explain.

Therrien's boss, aka Bergevin, just gave Desharnais a freaking four year contract.
Therrien can not make his boss look bad ... Desharnais will keep getting first line duty.

Bergevin f**ked up, and now Therrien has to deal with the backwash.
The contract Bergevin gave isn't 1st line money. At best I can see it going to "DD needs to play top 9 minutes to earn that contract" but he doesn't get 1st line money, so don't see where you get this idea.

If need be, he can be on 2nd line or 3rd line duty no problem.

As I suggested above, I think they want to go back to what had success. They just wanted to spark them.

Let's keep our like aside for a minute. A good coach doesn't break up lines and try to make new chemistry 3 games before playoffs. He tried to spark them and if that doesn't work, then he should change the lines.

We will see how max and DD perform next game. Hopefully they do well.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:52 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Baffling, isn't it?

Old
04-21-2013, 10:04 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
The contract Bergevin gave isn't 1st line money. At best I can see it going to "DD needs to play top 9 minutes to earn that contract" but he doesn't get 1st line money, so don't see where you get this idea.

Let's keep our like aside for a minute. A good coach doesn't break up lines and try to make new chemistry 3 games before playoffs. He tried to spark them and if that doesn't work, then he should change the lines.
He's not earning third line money right now. And we both agreed that he needs less playing time until he starts being more productive. Do you see his playing time going down?

In terms of just trying to spark them up, I actually do think that was Therrien's motivation so he could put them back to try and spark them. My problem is that he had all season to see the line wasn't working but he insisted on trying to force the issue. Now he feels he has no choice but to stay with this line because he hasn't tested Desharnais enough with anyone else.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
He's not earning third line money right now. And we both agreed that he needs less playing time until he starts being more productive. Do you see his playing time going down?

In terms of just trying to spark them up, I actually do think that was Therrien's motivation so he could put them back to try and spark them. My problem is that he had all season to see the line wasn't working but he insisted on trying to force the issue. Now he feels he has no choice but to stay with this line because he hasn't tested Desharnais enough with anyone else.
I think in playoffs we may see it go down. Reality is, a coach wants to try and keep all his players at highest level during a run so for now he's trying it out but in playoffs the goal is to win not spark players. That being said, I would hope all our players play with more intensity once playoffs start, it's what they worked for all year.

He did try to force it a bit, no doubt. I wouldn't have been against DD with other players. If max is injured, then what? It's important to try and keep all players familiar with each other.

As for Desharnais' playing time. The way I see it is this isn't his best year for sure but come playoff time it's whoever is getting the job done because there is no use in trying to work on a project for tomorrow if you can't win today. The team takes precedence every time(well 99% of cases).

I have no doubt Desharnais will be better next year but we need him now. We need the guy who is a pain to play against because he'll go through traffic to create a scoring chance. If he isn't getting the job done in playoffs, put him on another line and reduce his responsibility. He'll come back better next year but make the lines that make us win one game at a time.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Desharnais = infinite facepalm

Ridiculous how the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher line is back together. Gallagher is being wasted on that line.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:58 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

Quote:
As for Desharnais' playing time. The way I see it is this isn't his best year for sure but come playoff time it's whoever is getting the job done because there is no use in trying to work on a project for tomorrow if you can't win today. The team takes precedence every time(well 99% of cases).
I've already lost my mind a few times over how much playing time he gets and how he is not separated from Pacioretty. If he continues to underperform in the playoffs, and his playing time doesn't go down and the lines don't change, will you lose your mind too?

Old
04-21-2013, 11:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
I've already lost my mind a few times over how much playing time he gets and how he is not separated from Pacioretty. If he continues to underperform in the playoffs, and his playing time doesn't go down and the lines don't change, will you lose your mind too?
Depends if he's the reason IF we lose. Much easier to let things slide if we're winning right?

Suppose him and max aren't playing well and other 2 lines are. At that point, if you separate them you'd disturb the other lines. It always depends on the context but if we're losing and a line is still being forced without justification then there's an issue.

Earlier we were missing prust and bourque so we kept status quo but now we have a few options so i'd hope if necessary he uses it to his advantage.

End of the day, you want highest overall productivity. It depends on matchups and which line is playing well and so on but yah if there's remain as is and it's forced, certainly a problem.

I wouldn't lose my mind anyway though. I'd understand people's frustrations but just a game. A lot different playing the game and watching it. Some things are out of your control and the best you can do is support the players who want to win.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:16 PM
hockeyfan2k11

2 players under 5'8 on the same line. Only in Habs land.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:17 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
2 players under 5'8 on the same line. Only in Habs land.
In Gallagher's defense, he plays like a player much bigger. Desharnais does not have that type of grit and isn't a big body in any sense of the imagination but Gallagher is quite the player.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:22 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
In Gallagher's defense, he plays like a player much bigger. Desharnais does not have that type of grit and isn't a big body in any sense of the imagination but Gallagher is quite the player.
Gallagher is a warrior, but he's still small and having a smaller, softer player on his line does nothing for him...especially since he plays the type of game where he gets mugged after the whistle. As much as size is downplayed on here, it's extremely important. We have 3 players under 5'8 in the top 9. That is a problem.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:26 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

Quote:

I wouldn't lose my mind anyway though. I'd understand people's frustrations but just a game. A lot different playing the game and watching it. Some things are out of your control and the best you can do is support the players who want to win.
Hey come on, I didn't mean that I actually lost my mind. It's just an expression I used to illustrate that I am really frustrated. Also, I don't think anyone here thinks they have any bit of control over what happens with the Habs. We are just here on these message boards because it's fun to think of what it would be like if we did.

In all honesty though, I think Therrien has made mostly great decisions throughout the course of this season, except for those concerning Desharnais. However, I can't actually do anything about it other than complaining on a message board.

Closed Thread