Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Calgary need to make major changes this offseason

Old
04-21-2013, 09:36 PM
scoringmachine

vCash: 500
Does Calgary need to make major changes this offseason

Calgary Has won 6 of their last 8 and have lot of youth now playing. Do you think Calgary should keep doing what they are doing now as they are winning games or should they make lots of major changes. I like what they are doing now and think they only need a defenseman to replace jaybo and maybe a number one center. I would let Kipper finish his last year of his contract if he chooses not retire. Ramo is a question mark as he is playing well in the KHL but will it translate to success in the NHL. I like the idea of Kipper and McDonald team.

I know their is a similar thread but at the moment I could not find it.

Just like you know your thoughts.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:38 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
What major changes are left to make though?

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

vCash: 550
There's still a lot of room to improve.

Take this from a scientific angle. This sample size is far too small to see what we have. 8 games is less than 10% of a regular season. While this is a great sample, it doesn't mean the next 10% you take is murky, and contaminated.

Have to get bigger, have to get another real top four (potential top two) d-man somehow. Still need a legitimate first line lol; I like Sven - Backlund a lot, but need a RW with some size that can clear some room... or need to get a new top line all together lol.

The draft will go a long way in determining where we are. Free agency should also be a fun a period... because there might be some pretty big pickups by Calgary at the end of the day.

Right now the team is pretty small. Can you imagine being in the same division as Anaheim, LA and SJ with a smurf team?

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:53 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
There's still a lot of room to improve.

Take this from a scientific angle. This sample size is far too small to see what we have. 8 games is less than 10% of a regular season. While this is a great sample, it doesn't mean the next 10% you take is murky, and contaminated.

Have to get bigger, have to get another real top four (potential top two) d-man somehow. Still need a legitimate first line lol; I like Sven - Backlund a lot, but need a RW with some size that can clear some room... or need to get a new top line all together lol.

The draft will go a long way in determining where we are. Free agency should also be a fun a period... because there might be some pretty big pickups by Calgary at the end of the day.

Right now the team is pretty small. Can you imagine being in the same division as Anaheim, LA and SJ with a smurf team?
Doesn't seem to be a problem for Montreal against teams like Boston and Toronto.

I think the size thing is a bit overblown.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:55 PM
slappipappi

If Calgary played next season with this team they may well finish in 30th place.

The little winning streak at the end of this season is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
If Calgary played next season with this team they may well finish in 30th place.

The little winning streak at the end of this season is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Playing with no pressure and no expectations is easy. We will be bottom 3 next year just ahead of Edmonton.

1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:07 PM
MarkGio

Grit, a number 1 centre, and now a top 2 defensemen. Probably a starter too. Hopefully we separate ourselves from Edmonton and actually build. Not just re-

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 125
Before this team is a contender, we need a top six forward with size and a tough guy for the blue-line. Someone in the mould of Douglas Murray. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think we're really that far away after the trades this season, and after the draft.

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:30 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
i think we are getting ahead of ourselves. we may not take as long as the oilers have but we are 2-3 years away from putting the pieces together. i hope we are pushing for a playoff spot by 14-15.

herashak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Doesn't seem to be a problem for Montreal against teams like Boston and Toronto.
I think the size thing is a bit overblown.
Montreal, although it lacks size, has guys in that lineup that more than make up for in toughness. Montreal when 180 with simple additions, and philosophy.

Getting spark plugs in the lineup like Prust and Gallagher made the difference for Montreal from last season to this season to be honest; with Price getting his game back on track and a Norris type coming out party for PK.

When I say get bigger, I think what I truly mean is get tougher, get harder to play against. Calgary's been recently doing a good job at finishing checks and making life hard on people on the fore/back check. I think this is an area that needs major improvement going into next season. Getting guys like Reinhart in the lineup, make finishing and creating havoc contagious down the lineup.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:41 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
i think we are getting ahead of ourselves. we may not take as long as the oilers have but we are 2-3 years away from putting the pieces together. i hope we are pushing for a playoff spot by 14-15.
This. We have been winning lately because for one there is no pressure and also because goaltending has been excellent. With kipper retiring we are going to desperately need a number 1 goalie. Also need a number 1 center, and winning lately means that we probably won't get one in this draft. And we need I would say 2 top 4 d man, one of them being a number 1 defenseman.
I think with a few tough years these pieces could be acquired via draft but feaster may have to get creative and try to gain in the trade market.
We need size and grit. This can more than likely be gained through free agency and 2nd/3rd round picks in the draft.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Playing with no pressure and no expectations is easy. We will be bottom 3 next year just ahead of Edmonton.
This. People shouldn't read too much into a late season stretch run when there's no expectations on the team to do anything but lose. They're being routinely out shot and for large periods of time, completely over matched. The Flames will likely be quite bad next year too.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:48 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
No we won't just like this year.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
This. People shouldn't read too much into a late season stretch run when there's no expectations on the team to do anything but lose. They're being routinely out shot and for large periods of time, completely over matched. The Flames will likely be quite bad next year too.
Finding ways to win is nice, but as I said in another thread, or maybe this one... who knows, this sample size wouldn't be 10% of a regular season. No way can these kids keep this pace up. I see a California trip, where LA is physical on you the entire night, followed by SJ or Anaheim doing the same, really being a lesson for a young team.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:23 AM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Agreed. Next year will be a very very long season.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:55 AM
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched

vCash: 1127
To realistically be a Stanley Cup contender? A lot:

1. Top line center that can win faceoffs
2. Another top line winger
3. A top pairing defenseman. At worst a second pairing guy
4. A top line goalie if Ramo/Berra don't work out.
5. Depth forwards in case Reinhart/Aliu/Bouma, etc falter
6. Another top pairing defenseman if Brodie falters

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:00 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Do the Flames need to make major changes this summer?

To be a Cup contender, yes.
To be a playoff team, yes.
To be competitive, not major but some.
To continue their rebuilding path, no.

To be honest it's difficult to say what changes need to be made until draft weekend is gone and Kiprusoff makes an official decision, as draft weekend may see more trades happen and Kiprusoff's decision will effect Ramo signing here.

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post

Another way of looking at it is that if all of the stars align, and if all of the mentioned players in fact do work out, we need very little.

Adding pieces as a back-up plan strikes me as something we'd do if we were going to go all in on our current team. We're nowhere near that. And we're not going to get to that stage by making big changes this off-season. That's somewhere we can only get to through patience.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:07 AM
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post

Oh yeah, there's definitely a lot missing from this team. None of it is really a quick fix either. Top pair guys and top line centers don't grow on trees.

Top 6 wingers you can generally find. I like someone like Horton this free agency period. Big boy, big skill, still young. He seems like the type of guy Feaster's talking about when he talks about getting bigger, but also when he talks about having skill. In Boston, he's playing many fiddles behind other players... But I think given the right role he could be a big time producer. Maybe not a top line winger, but definitely a second line winger that can clear some space and make the lives of guys like Sven and Mikael a lot easier.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:32 AM
TylerSVT*

We still need to draft our #1C, #1 RW, another top 2 D.

Its going to be a long rebuild if we dont get a homerun at this years draft.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
slappipappi

To be a serious contender, a team must have a fairly elite core of players, consisting of 4 forwards, two top d-men, and a goalie. They then need 2 pretty decent top 6 forwards, and 2 decent d-men to round out the top 4 d-men.

Calagry has little of that right now. Giardano can fill one of the top 4 d-men positions. Brodie might one day be a core player, but he's not now. Sven might eventually be a core player, but he's miles form that now. And Backlund might be a top 6 guy but is likely never to be a core player.

If you look at Chicago's model, Calgary is short a Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith and Seabrook. They are also short a Bolland, Saad, Hjammerson and Leddy.

We have a long way to go to be an elite contender.

It would be sure nice to win the lottery.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:11 PM
ALI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
We still need to draft our #1C, #1 RW, another top 2 D.

Its going to be a long rebuild if we dont get a homerun at this years draft.
Monahan, Lindholm Morrisey Lazar = homerun

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

A lot of people point to our recent run as simply due to the lack of pressure felt by the players night in and night out.

But looking at Edmonton, they have been playing without pressure for the first few years of their rebuild, surely. No one expected them to make the playoffs, and they had a whole group of young guys just playing to try to establish themselves. But in Edmonton, this atmosphere led them to the bottom of the standings every year.

At the end of the day, I don't think that our wins in meaningful games (for the opposition) over Minnesota, Phoenix and Edmonton can be fully discounted because of the pressure-free atmosphere, because Edmonton has been in that situation for years and hasn't done better than last place.

At the end of the day, winning games in this league is more than about playing with a smile on your face.

Old
04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Exactly...this is what Feaster (Flames Management) is going to try to sell....I guess there are always some fans that would buy it...

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
A lot of people point to our recent run as simply due to the lack of pressure felt by the players night in and night out.

At the end of the day, I don't think that our wins in meaningful games (for the opposition) over Minnesota, Phoenix and Edmonton can be fully discounted because of the pressure-free atmosphere, because Edmonton has been in that situation for years and hasn't done better than last place.

You maybe right except that every year the Flames is a contender until the games really count....then you know what...

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote