HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 45: Blues at Colorado –*Blues playoff magic number is 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by danglzzz View Post
Guys that goal was not Allen's fault. Did you watch the replay? It was literally a one in a million thing. Just an unlucky break.
Exactly, he did what any NHL goalie would do on a play like that. Colorado always get those goals that just seem to squiggle through our goalies.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:48 PM
sbet1998

vCash: 500
Nothing to take from this one. Flukey goals against and they didnt bring their A game.

Im sure COL will see that Tuesday after this one. Oh well. Cant say Im too mad about this considering the standings. I want them to win, but I can handle a fluke loss against a garbage team, if it keeps them in 6th. I dont want 4th/5th unless LA falls to 6th.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:51 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

The game should perhaps throw some criticism Hitchcock's way for being stubborn with his line combinations during the teams porous offensive output. They looked a lot better offensively 5 on 5 with a new, rationally constructed mix.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:53 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
The game should perhaps throw some criticism Hitchcock's way for being stubborn with his line combinations during the teams porous offensive output. They looked a lot better offensively 5 on 5 with a new, rationally constructed mix.
This. It's time to try something new.

Someone mentioned earlier, for example, putting Perron with Berglund because apparently he jumpstarts Berglund.

I also like Schwartz with Backes and Stewart.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what happens on Tuesday. I don't expect Russell back, but it wouldn't exactly shock me either.

I hope he starts the 4th line we are planning to use in the playoffs, which might be Cracknell-Porter-Reaves. They need as many games as possible together if that is the idea. If we want to see Jaškin then give someone in the top-9 the night off. We'll find out more about Jaškin that way too.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Note fan in Big D

- Anyone else think Hitch should've pulled Allen during powerplay? ... go six on four, down two goals with five minutes remaining.

- Leopold was not good tonight.

- Need to address offensive strategy in offseason ... everything is either up the outside/dump and chase. Desperately need a No. 1 center!

Old
04-21-2013, 09:55 PM
sbet1998

Quote:
I dont know. It didnt look to me like they were better offensively than they've been. COL is not a good team defensively. You dont want to analyze anything from this game in reality.

Old
04-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Note fan in Big D View Post
- Anyone else think Hitch should've pulled Allen during powerplay? ... go six on four, down two goals with five minutes remaining.

- Leopold was not good tonight.

- Need to address offensive strategy in offseason ... everything is either up the outside/dump and chase. Desperately need a No. 1 center!
We were on the PK, so it would have been 5-on-5.

Sorry, you meant the earlier PP. No, that is too early. As difficult as it is, you have to trust the PP, if they had scored then we'd have been down a goal with 3+ minutes remaining. No huge advantage in the scramble that comes from pulling the goalie.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbet1998 View Post
Nothing to take from this one. Flukey goals against and they didnt bring their A game.

Im sure COL will see that Tuesday after this one. Oh well. Cant say Im too mad about this considering the standings. I want them to win, but I can handle a fluke loss against a garbage team, if it keeps them in 6th. I dont want 4th/5th unless LA falls to 6th.
Was thinking this too. Would have been exciting to see them jump ahead in the standings, but not if it means another LA match-up I suppose. Who knows where everyone will fall on the last day.

Disappointing lost, but as long as there's a clinch soon I'm good.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Note fan in Big D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
We were on the PK, so it would have been 5-on-5.

Sorry, you meant the earlier PP. No, that is too early. As difficult as it is, you have to trust the PP, if they had scored then we'd have been down a goal with 3+ minutes remaining. No huge advantage in the scramble that comes from pulling the goalie.
True, but the powerplay is inept! Haha. At least go down swinging.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Anybody take a count of McDonald's turnovers that game? Saw at least 4-5.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Note fan in Big D View Post
True, but the powerplay is inept! Haha. At least go down swinging.
Our PP is so inept, we'd probably try a centring pass and it would go all the way down the ice into our empty net.

LA Kings scored a perfectly good goal to start the third period, got cut off for goalie interference. Dallas immediately score to make it 3-2. If Dallas do win this in regulation then we are a point behind both LA and San Jose, 3 games left and the Kings and Sharks finish the season against each other. If that does happen, looks pretty certain we'll end up #4 or #5 seed.

Kings tie it at 3

Old
04-21-2013, 10:07 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Kings tie it 3-3.

Now THAT's a powerplay.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:07 PM
sbet1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Our PP is so inept, we'd probably try a centring pass and it would go all the way down the ice into our empty net.

LA Kings scored a perfectly good goal to start the third period, got cut off for goalie interference. Dallas immediately score to make it 3-2. If Dallas do win this in regulation then we are a point behind both LA and San Jose, 3 games left and the Kings and Sharks finish the season against each other. If that does happen, looks pretty certain we'll end up #4 or #5 seed.

Kings tie it at 3
Blues need to take pointers from Dallas on how to beat the Kings. They've owned them. Hitch better be watching that tape if we face LA.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Not sure I buy that to be honest.

This phenomenon has been explained in other sports too (football with the Denver Broncos, for example) and apparently the results are mixed. Players have reported to gotten used to it after a short period of time into the game, and then after a while you don't even notice it. The Blues got into Colorado yesterday, so I'd imagine that they had broke past that threshold with a practice/skate.

Some believe it's all in your head, and others believe that there is a legitimate advantage.

I'm likely to lean toward the former.
I don't believe road players adjust to the thin air during the first day, In my 20s, I played hockey at 5,000 to 8,000 ft. altitude, both on the first day of arrival and on the 2nd day. Invariably, I was perfectly adjusted on the 2nd day, but not at my normal best on the first day. (If I arrived the night before, the next day acted like the FIRST day). That was pretty much what my teammates told me as well. In other words, athletes need at least 24 to 36 hours in that thin air for their (athletics-level) breathing to adjust. If The NHL would have 2-3 game road series, the road team would be fine for the 2nd and 3rd game. But, they are at a distinct disadvantage in the first game, if they haven't been at that altitude for enough time.

I'm sure this would be borne out as well, by NBA teams playing in Denver. Don't NFL teams fly early to Denver to practise in that air for a few days before their games? They certainly used to, at least during the playoffs.

At the pro (and, especially The NHL level), even that small difference can mean A LOT (in terms of reaching the puck first, being able to get back on defence, etc.). It certainly makes a difference in the outcome of games. The Avs' numbers show that very clearly. When watching them play on the road, they look so loose on defence, you'd expect them to have a much worse overall record (but it is bouyed by their home advantage).

Old
04-21-2013, 10:10 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Watching the Kings, it's like our game if we did everything right.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Fred Murtz

Backes late hit paybacks on McGinn for late hit on Sobe

Old
04-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Anybody take a count of McDonald's turnovers that game? Saw at least 4-5.
He's been pretty ineffective on offence, and a big liability on defence since returning. He's only good for shootouts. But there are no shootouts in The Playoffs. I wouldn't have a problem benching him if Oshie is back for the first game.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:14 PM
sbet1998

Avs scored a couple freak goals. Blues didnt play a great game defensively, but the Avs got lucky as well.

Altitude or not, Avs were outplayed and scored some fluke goals. Its the only way that terrible 05-06 Blues team ever won games when not playing Vancouver.

Fluke goals and luck.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:24 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Avs scored a couple freak goals. Blues didnt play a great game defensively, but the Avs got lucky as well.

Altitude or not, Avs were outplayed and scored some fluke goals. Its the only way that terrible 05-06 Blues team ever won games when not playing Vancouver.

Fluke goals and luck.
I disagree. The Avs won a lot more of the races to the puck than The Blues. The Blues had a LOT of breakdowns. The Blues didn't have much jump in their legs. They looked terrible for much of the game. They had spurts of good play, but couldn't sustain it. The Avs outplayed The Blues. I'm not saying that The Blues didn't give good effort in this game (like some posters stated). But they just didn't have it tonight. They had long stretches when they couldn't get the puck out of their defensive zone. It's no surprise they gave up a bunch of goals.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:33 PM
BlueDream

Perron, Berglund and McDonald just look awful out there. And so does Leopold lately.

Time to rest some ****ing legs.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:36 PM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Perron, Berglund and McDonald just look awful out there. And so does Leopold lately.

Time to rest some ****ing legs.
You forgot Stewart and Tarasenko with that list.

That's 5 of the top 9 that look off.

Sobotka did very little tonight other that get cheapshotted, but this was like the first game of the season that he didn't impress.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:48 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Didn't look too good tonight. Bad defensive lapses, bad turnovers. Got outworked.

I absolutely hate Allen's goal against. That's terrible.

I don't know where you guys are getting the flukey goals against ideas from; both 20 and 57 get caught on the wrong side of Colorado's forwards for the backdoor tap in for #1. #2, Petro makes a bad play and Elliott can't get beat there, can't let goals go through you at this level, he needs to have that one. #3, not much Allen can do, that's a perfect shot. But 57's turnover is brutal...mind-bogglingly stupid play. #4 Leopold gets worked over by 9, just powers his way to the net. Would have liked to see Elliott challenge it a bit more, but a perfect finish really. #5 is all Allen, and he knows it.....if you're gonna make that save selection you have to close your gaps faster. It's a terrible selection, again IMO.

We're lucky Giguere is awful to get 3 goals tonight, really only had to make 1 good save.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:50 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
I dont know. It didnt look to me like they were better offensively than they've been. COL is not a good team defensively. You dont want to analyze anything from this game in reality.
Well, the argument for not analyzing anything from this game would have more to do with the fact that they finally trailed by more than a goal which forced them to open things up.

But still, the logic of getting Perron away from the tougher assignments and into a more purely offensive role (with Berglund flanking Perron and Stewart or Tarsenko) and getting the responsible Schwartz, who is beyond solid, more ice time in an important 5 on 5 role makes sense. That line construction represented the Blues' best offensive production of the season.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:51 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Lol not sure what you want him to do there? What a lucky goal in the only spot you can score when you hug the post like that. Not sure why you guys are flipping out.
One of the worst goals against I've had the misfortune of seeing at the NHL level

Closed Thread