HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
I really hope Couts is not moved... his season has been pretty underrated when the stats are delved into. If he was not in the team we would have had a far, far worse year.

He has almost exactly the same PPG as last year while playing with, frankly, whoever is fit enough to be his 4th line wingers for the most part this year, only Talbot has played with him regularly, and Rosehill, Rinaldo, Knuble and Read are the only other guys he has spent significant time with.

Last season: .350
This season: .349

Has below half as good a shot% percentage as last year (which will obviously revert to the mean, his PDO is the lowest after Voracek, which is scary as it indicates Voracek is unlucky!)

He also plays some of the toughest minutes on the team (2nd highest relative Corsi QOC, highest Corsi QOC.)

He also starts in offensive zone 30% of the time... and finishes in opponents zone 45% of the time. The best difference on the team. Considering his faceoff percentage is low (he is young, it'll improve) that is frankly an absurd stat.

He is out there on almost every single PK as he is so valuable there.

Has a positive relative Corsi... 12 above any of his regular linemates who are all below -10.

When we win Couts averages over 17 mins a game, when we lose 14mins.

So overall he is pretty much our best defensive forward, as he was last year, gets the hardest minutes on the team, with ****** linemates, and still is on pace for the same number of points as last year, on a worse team, with half as good shot%.

I would not say he has been disappointing.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:41 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
"Giggles" Garrioch is reporting today that someone is going to pay for what happened this year...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20758141.html

Could be a real interesting off season if the entire front office and coaching staff are turfed. I really don't know if they'll make whole sale changes or if they'll tweak things here and there if that's the case.....

Old
04-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
"Giggles" Garrioch is reporting today that someone is going to pay for what happened this year...

Could be a real interesting off season if the entire front office and coaching staff are turfed. I really don't know if they'll make whole sale changes or if they'll tweak things here and there if that's the case.....
Do you think Garrioch knows that Snider is as culpable as anyone for the Bryzgalov signing?

I think its pretty safe to say that Laviolette is the one under fire. He was urged to adjust the system to improve the team's defensive play--and he might end up being saved by the complete decimation of our blue-line. He can plead injuries and get through to the start of next season.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:16 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I really hope Couts is not moved... his season has been pretty underrated when the stats are delved into. If he was not in the team we would have had a far, far worse year.

He has almost exactly the same PPG as last year while playing with, frankly, whoever is fit enough to be his 4th line wingers for the most part this year, only Talbot has played with him regularly, and Rosehill, Rinaldo, Knuble and Read are the only other guys he has spent significant time with.

Has below half as good a shot% percentage as last year (which will obviously revert to the mean, his PDO is the lowest after Voracek, which is scary as it indicates Voracek is unlucky!)

He also plays some of the toughest minutes on the team (2nd highest relative Corsi QOC, highest Corsi QOC.)

He also starts in offensive zone 30% of the time... and finishes in opponents zone 45% of the time. The best difference on the team. Considering his faceoff percentage is low (he is young, it'll improve) that is frankly an absurd stat.

Has a positive relative Corsi... 12 above any of his regular linemates who are all below -10.

So overall he is pretty much our best defensive forward, as he was last year, gets the hardest minutes on the team, with ****** linemates, and still is on pace for the same number of points as last year, on a worse team, with half as good shot%.

Don't you know? The Flyers and their fans overrate Couturier who will only be a 3rd line C.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

Couturier is such a major part of the team; they'd be a complete shamble. I'd prefer to hold on to him as well.

04-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
If I am trading Laughton and read it better be in a package for a proven #1 like weber or for #1 overall to select jones. I have no problem giving up a lot of assets for those two guys but not for yandle
The Weber/Jones scenarios would be ideal, but it's likely a pipe dream. Flyers would need to give up those kind of assets for a premiere puckmover like Yandle (who is pretty damn good).

Old
04-21-2013, 06:37 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
The Weber/Jones scenarios would be ideal, but it's likely a pipe dream. Flyers would need to give up those kind of assets for a premiere puckmover like Yandle (who is pretty damn good).
Yea most likely. At that point we would be better off just taking the best player available in the draft which may be a defenseman and try to sign a guy like Streit in free agency

Old
04-21-2013, 07:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

He wrote either last week or the week before that Lavy was going to get fired. Not sure about Holmgren.

I'm getting the feeling that they either both stay or they both go.

One thing is for sure, I'd rather change coaches now than change mid-season.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:04 PM
I Am Number 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He wrote either last week or the week before that Lavy was going to get fired. Not sure about Holmgren.

I'm getting the feeling that they either both stay or they both go.

One thing is for sure, I'd rather change coaches now than change mid-season.
If Homer is replace, what are the odds we can pry Hextall for LA?

Old
04-21-2013, 10:11 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Number 28 View Post
If Homer is replace, what are the odds we can pry Hextall for LA?
I honestly think he would be the most likely replacement. We know how much this organization likes to bring people back

Old
04-21-2013, 10:30 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Even though I think we need to get away from the whole past flyer loyalty thing, I really think hextall would be a great choice to be gm if homer is gone.

Also, as much as people don't like him, I think Brian Burke could be a great choice too. I think he failed in Toronto because he's more of a guy who's good at getting teams
Who are almost there over the hump. His son is here, which could also make it a good fit.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I honestly think he would be the most likely replacement. We know how much this organization likes to bring people back
But in fairness to Hextall, he's a fine assistant GM who really became a great GM in waiting while in Los Angeles. If Hextall comes onboard, I really believe that he's going to perform a full house cleaning. The only guy who's job might be safe will be Terry Murray, but you can bet he'll be on a short leash. Hexy might be the guy who can actually get the job done.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:47 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Would love to see a clean sweep of Homer, Lavy, assistant coaches especially goalie coach and briere this summer and bryz in 2014 if not this summer

Old
04-21-2013, 10:50 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Would love to see a clean sweep of Homer, Lavy, assistant coaches especially goalie coach and briere this summer and bryz in 2014 if not this summer

Why? Berube and Mullen don't need to go anywhere.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:53 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Why? Berube and Mullen don't need to go anywhere.
Yea, I was mostly thinking of the goalie coach. My mistake

Old
04-21-2013, 10:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

My line of thinking is it won't matter who's in the FO until Snider's gone. Hextall or anyone else that gets brought in is going to be a puppet just like Homer is now for the most part.

I like Snider and appreciate all he's done in the past but at this point he's holding back this franchise by selling out at all causes to win a cup when we're not ready for it.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
My line of thinking is it won't matter who's in the FO until Snider's gone. Hextall or anyone else that gets brought in is going to be a puppet just like Homer is now for the most part.

I like Snider and appreciate all he's done in the past but at this point he's holding back this franchise by selling out at all causes to win a cup when we're not ready for it.
Snider's 80, and he really should be retiring soon. There's no shame in spending more time at home with his granddaughter wife.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:26 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Holmgren said he expects Mike Knuble to retire, and he didn’t seem hot on re-signing short-term fill-ins Adam Hall and Kent Huskins. Ruslan Fedotenko is also a longshot to re-sign, while Simon Gagne should find a way to stay.
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...txt?viewmode=3

Well there goes me wanting the good faceoff 4th line PKing center.

Might as well pencil this in:

Giroux
Schenn
Couturier
Laughton

It seems like Gagne might not be here (I take the "should find a way" as one of those not in a rush and will look at FA/Prospects before signing)

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
xxx-Couturier-xxx
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo

Old
04-22-2013, 09:27 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Happy to see that Homer wants to bring back Gagne (hopefully). He has been a good player for us, even though he needs to finish more than he has been. Wish Hall would stay though.

If Gagne is coming back, but the others aren't, then how about this:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Tye McGinn ($0.775m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Erik Gustafsson ($1.000m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
Chris Pronger ($4.936m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,824,881; BONUSES: $3,012,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,487,619

Last edited by SolidSnakeUS: 04-22-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old
04-22-2013, 09:42 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
I don't expect Mez to be back. He makes too much money for a 5th defenseman who is always injured. I'd rather have Gus paired with a nice stay-at-home defenseman to give him more freedom. You can find someone at half the price to what Mez costs us

Old
04-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I don't expect Mez to be back. He makes too much money for a 5th defenseman who is always injured. I'd rather have Gus paired with a nice stay-at-home defenseman to give him more freedom. You can find someone at half the price to what Mez costs us
Gus - Hainsey pairing?

Old
04-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Gus - Hainsey pairing?
Hainsey will cost more than Meszaros is slated to make and isn't a massive upgrade when Meszaros is healthy--granted, that's not been much lately.

I'm not a big fan of giving out a 3+ year, $4-5 million deal to any of this year's UFA defensemen.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:59 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
You're going have to give something of value up along with Mez to move him this offseason. He has little to zero value at this moment and his contract isn't really appeasing cap hit or actual money wise for next year when he can barely stay in the lineup.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Psuhockey

I think the Flyers will bring in a couple of veteran forwards, probably at least one big namer like Iginla, Clarkson, or Clowe and or someone like Morrow. I also imagine there will be at least one upgrade on defense. How is any of that going to work unde rather salary cap is beyond me. I saw the link to Rob Parents column from the Delaware County times. He is one of the better and most connected beat writers (not saying much I know) and mentioned Hartnell (whom I doubt), Coburn and Matt Read as trade bait.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think the Flyers will bring in a couple of veteran forwards, probably at least one big namer like Iginla, Clarkson, or Clowe and or someone like Morrow. I also imagine there will be at least one upgrade on defense. How is any of that going to work unde rather salary cap is beyond me. I saw the link to Rob Parents column from the Delaware County times. He is one of the better and most connected beat writers (not saying much I know) and mentioned Hartnell (whom I doubt), Coburn and Matt Read as trade bait.
Setting aside Iginla--I think he made fairly clear that his intent was to re-sign where ever he was traded, and Pittsburgh has the space, at least for next year--the others just don't make a lot of sense. Why trade Hartnell and replace him with Clowe, Clarkson, or Morrow--all of whom are downgrades and are likely to cost more than Hartnell to boot. (EDIT: If we don't trade Hartnell, I don't see a need for any of those guys--maybe Clarkson, but I'd imagine he'll be offered more than we could pay).

As others have noted, there aren't that many holes to be filled in the line-up.

I just don't see us as a major player in free agency this year. I think a big-name trade is a bit more plausible--with Yandle as the likely target.

Closed Thread