HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-21-2013, 08:26 PM
  #526
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Why fan of a player constantly bashes him?
I don't constantly bash him. I'm just not a delusional fanboy. When people constantly tell me a goalie who has played average to just above average hockey and really no accomplishments is "great" then I call that player overrated.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 08:29 PM
  #527
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
If yo go look at the PGT from last year you'll see I wasn't impress with Carey even last year and that I felt he got a free pass for the team being this bad while he was a big reason for the fact that they actually were that bad.
You felt he was the reason we were that bad? No point in having a conversation then dude.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 08:41 PM
  #528
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
And people will re-create thread here about losing another player from our team for nothing.

Always the same pattern, we finished 15th last year. we're 2nd in the conference + making the playoffs.

But obviously people already forgot about that.
2nd (4th tonight) in an amputed season. This team, as it is is not built for a 82 games season. Not physically big enough. And Price, as talented ad people can think he is, is rarely winning the key games, like the one yesterday night.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 09:07 PM
  #529
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Why fan of a player constantly bashes him?
Calling the play as you see it is not bashing a player. He is a very good goalie who is struggling right now, however, he is not even close to the top goalie in the league at the moment or at any point in time in his early career. I wouldn't trade Price, I think he will be that cornerstone goaltender we all think he can be, but if his lack of mental toughness doesn't concern some folks, I'm surprised. He's too hard on himself, he gives up a bad one and you almost know more are to follow. When he finds a groove, he's one of the best, but he appears to be a bit weak between the ears.

Lately I've noticed he is constantly over playing the shooter, for a goalie who's number one attribute is his solid positioning it hasn't been there at all lately. On the 2nd ovy goal he slid completely out of the net. I'm a bit concerned, but not ready to panic just yet. I think he'll bounce back, but he has done little receive the high praise he receives around here. He's a good goalie, nothing more.

habsfanatics is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 09:41 PM
  #530
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,312
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'm not going to get involved with all the hyperbole.. like Maltese's comment that he doesn't win the big game. I think game 7 against the Bruins in his rookie season is enough to show that he can win the big game. I don't know why Washington game was any bigger than the rest, but i guess for some people it was..

Anyways, I really don't like what I'm seeing from Price lately. He's not reading the play right, he's not on top of his paint, he's not following through on his technique, everything is off kilter and it's pretty ugly to watch. He's gotta play the next 2 games and right the ship, if he doesn't, he's gonna have to play Toronto Saturday night as well. Play and play until the negativity is out of his mind and he's back to basics.

Right now he just needs to forget everything. Play on the top of the paint and let the rest of it come to him. Don't shuffle over when you anticipate a pass.. don't guess which way the shot is going through a crowd, just get on top of your paint and react as it happens.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
04-21-2013, 09:47 PM
  #531
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
What's his excuse this year, on this GREAT team?

Carey had one great year out of 5, and is playing his worse on a #2 team.
Also the team as of today has allowed the 5th least amount of shots on net yet Price has a mediocre GAA. The team has a GAA that ranks 16 th overall. True, fewer shots allowed doesn't necessarily equate to fewer scoring chances but it's an indication of how your goalies are playing.

I'd like to see stats that show scoring chances as opposed to shots on net.

Anyway, I'm not a Price hater but burying your head ibn the sand and calling him elite is one big delusion. He may eventually become an elite goalie but as of today he hasn't proven anything.

onice is online now  
Old
04-21-2013, 09:51 PM
  #532
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
"
Reality: We got more for Halak than anybody gas gotten for a goalie in decades. Pretty spectacular.
I think McPhee in Washington says hi and that you're wrong. Or Ottawa this year with Bishop. That's with 30 seconds worth of thinking. Gimme a minute & I can come up with more.

onice is online now  
Old
04-21-2013, 09:52 PM
  #533
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
But each time his team found a way to give him the lead after 2 period he found a way to lose it allowing a bad goal.

The team was playing actually good at the beginning of the season but they were losing because of untimely a lot of time. It began to affect the confidence of the team and the team became a mess.

A lot like what's happening right now by the way. Last year they had a bad start but they were actually playing not that bad hockey.

And at least I have consistency in what I say and I admit when Carey is playing good hockey. And I can admit when I'm wrong.

I just want Carey to prove me wrong... I'm a habs fan. And if these choke were less frequent I wouldn't talk about them. I guess he just never proved me he was that good and like a lot of you the games I missed in the last 10 years are pretty rare.

Believe it or not... I was pro-Price at the beginning and I had to admit it to myself that he wasn't that good and once I did it I realized that in fact... His value is way bigger than what he really is.

He's the kind of goalie that looks good from a far but when you take a closer look...
After going through your history and noticing you only post during a loss and defending DD tooth and nail as well as Leblanc I have to say welcome to my ignore list.

Also you are a massive hypocrite. You say forwards that struggle are fine, but a goalie struggles and he's a write off.

Price was the only positive last year, in a dreadful season. Not David Deshnaris. What has he proved to warrant the minutes he gets? Yet you completely ignore that while saying the same thing about Price.

Most of you don't realize that the T.O game albeit Price was bad, but the blame cannot only be laid on him. The leafs had 5 odd man rushes on the 1st period alone. How in the hell do you expect Price to react when the people on the ice not only keep giving the opposition chance after chance, but also give up on the play?

He's had mediocre playoff success but the team in front of him is included and in reality they were horrible.
You put Price on a team with competent defense men and he's a better goalie, just like any goalie.

Remove Neidermeyer, Stevens and the other dman from Jersey (his name alludes me) and they don't win a single cup.

Your goalie is only as good as your defence and vice versa when will some of you understand this.

Also I don't see the team scoring a bunch these past few games. How about some goal support? Let me guess that's Price's fault as well because a)he lets in a couple of bad goals due to turnovers and b)he doesn't score. I guess the rest of the lacklustre play from this entire team can be excused when Price is in net because you know he's overrated.

God damn it I'm going to watch the Oilers strictly next season because I can't take the ******** that gets posted here.

compile is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 09:54 PM
  #534
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I don't constantly bash him. I'm just not a delusional fanboy. When people constantly tell me a goalie who has played average to just above average hockey and really no accomplishments is "great" then I call that player overrated.
When people tell me DD is a good player my mind explodes because I'm not a delusional fanboy. Same goes for everyone else on this team, since you know the Habs have been avg since 1993.

compile is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 09:58 PM
  #535
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You felt he was the reason we were that bad? No point in having a conversation then dude.
I felt he was one of the reason... Meaning he didn't help us be better. And he contributed affecting the confidence of the players...

My assesment of the games... I've never once mentionned any stats because what I always questionned in Price is how clutch he is.

Doesn't matter if it's a 3 - 2 games or a 7 - 6 games.... More often then not he'll allow the goal that kills the team.

durojean is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:03 PM
  #536
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I think McPhee in Washington says hi and that you're wrong. Or Ottawa this year with Bishop. That's with 30 seconds worth of thinking. Gimme a minute & I can come up with more.
Halak fetched more than either bishop or varlameov.

Nobody here would trade eller for conacher.

Varlameov fetched a 13th overall. Eller is worth more than that as he was a 13th overall from two years prior, progressing rapidly. Same potential as any given 13th overall, reduced risk.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:11 PM
  #537
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Halak fetched more than either bishop or varlameov.

Nobody here would trade eller for conacher.

Varlameov fetched a 13th overall. Eller is worth more than that as he was a 13th overall from two years prior, progressing rapidly. Same potential as any given 13th overall, reduced risk.
Errr....Caps got a 1st and a 2nd for Varlamov who was largely unproven. That's a better haul IMO.

Both Bishop and Varlamov were less proven goalies than Halak.

Eller is progressing but "rapidly"? No, he isn't. He's progressing steadily and I can tell you Gauthier expected him to be more ready than what we have seen thus far.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:13 PM
  #538
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
When people tell me DD is a good player my mind explodes because I'm not a delusional fanboy. Same goes for everyone else on this team, since you know the Habs have been avg since 1993.
Some can only see the good a player does and completely ignore the bad. Whether DD is good or not is irrelevant, IMO. I don't think he should be on this team. I felt this way last year as well. He's useless as a winger and too small to be a centerman. I have no idea why Bergevin rushed to sign him.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:20 PM
  #539
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,889
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Some can only see the good a player does and completely ignore the bad. Whether DD is good or not is irrelevant, IMO. I don't think he should be on this team. I felt this way last year as well. He's useless as a winger and too small to be a centerman. I have no idea why Bergevin rushed to sign him.
So Markov is bad and he doesn't deserve his contract. He hasn't proven a thing. Same goes for Pacio.

I get it.

compile is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:24 PM
  #540
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Errr....Caps got a 1st and a 2nd for Varlamov who was largely unproven. That's a better haul IMO.

Both Bishop and Varlamov were less proven goalies than Halak.

Eller is progressing but "rapidly"? No, he isn't. He's progressing steadily and I can tell you Gauthier expected him to be more ready than what we have seen thus far.
dude we turned a ninth round pick into a first round pick.and that first rounder should develop into a solid two way 2 nd line centerman.what 's the problem again?

haburger is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:26 PM
  #541
ottawa*
go habs go
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 50
Eller > Conacher quite easily...Eller may not be worth the 13th overall Varlamov fetched quite yet but he'll be worth it down the road I bet. Eller is progressing very well, I'd redo the Halak for Eller trade 10/10 times

ottawa* is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:28 PM
  #542
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,129
vCash: 500
wasn't halak the last player chosen in that years draft?

haburger is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:28 PM
  #543
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'm not going to get involved with all the hyperbole.. like Maltese's comment that he doesn't win the big game. I think game 7 against the Bruins in his rookie season is enough to show that he can win the big game. I don't know why Washington game was any bigger than the rest, but i guess for some people it was..

Anyways, I really don't like what I'm seeing from Price lately. He's not reading the play right, he's not on top of his paint, he's not following through on his technique, everything is off kilter and it's pretty ugly to watch. He's gotta play the next 2 games and right the ship, if he doesn't, he's gonna have to play Toronto Saturday night as well. Play and play until the negativity is out of his mind and he's back to basics.

Right now he just needs to forget everything. Play on the top of the paint and let the rest of it come to him. Don't shuffle over when you anticipate a pass.. don't guess which way the shot is going through a crowd, just get on top of your paint and react as it happens.
Only problem in his rookie season is that he let the Bruins in
In that seried by crapping the bed in the previous game. But he did play a good game 7. And had more good game then bad game in that serie. He did suck in the next round but at the time I actually was ok with him.

And I've also said that at least this year we're got to live and die with Price... I'm just expecting an early death...

durojean is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:43 PM
  #544
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
dude we turned a ninth round pick into a first round pick.and that first rounder should develop into a solid two way 2 nd line centerman.what 's the problem again?
Who cares where he was drafted?

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 10:51 PM
  #545
InglewoodJack
Registered User
 
InglewoodJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Châteauguay
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,903
vCash: 1340
Instead of judging his career, which at this point in his career would be foolish, consider his play at this moment. I don't think I've ever seen such surprisingly awful goaltending, and this is coming from someone who's been a huge supporter of the guy since juniors. I'm not worried for his future or for the team's, but it is very concerning that he's playing this way. The people I've spoken to (hardly experts, no doubt) all seem to think that he has some personal issue. I'm not going to comment because I don't wanna make up rumours about a player's private life, but it seems to me Carey's head is elsewhere at the moment. I do hope that he does figure it all out, because he clearly has the skill and the history that proves he's far better than this.

As for the rest of the season, I'd but him in every game. This team is gonna live and die by him come playoff time, no point in giving up on him in the last couple meters of the race.

InglewoodJack is online now  
Old
04-21-2013, 11:10 PM
  #546
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
After going through your history and noticing you only post during a loss and defending DD tooth and nail as well as Leblanc I have to say welcome to my ignore list.

Also you are a massive hypocrite. You say forwards that struggle are fine, but a goalie struggles and he's a write off.

Price was the only positive last year, in a dreadful season. Not David Deshnaris. What has he proved to warrant the minutes he gets? Yet you completely ignore that while saying the same thing about Price.

Most of you don't realize that the T.O game albeit Price was bad, but the blame cannot only be laid on him. The leafs had 5 odd man rushes on the 1st period alone. How in the hell do you expect Price to react when the people on the ice not only keep giving the opposition chance after chance, but also give up on the play?

He's had mediocre playoff success but the team in front of him is included and in reality they were horrible.
You put Price on a team with competent defense men and he's a better goalie, just like any goalie.

Remove Neidermeyer, Stevens and the other dman from Jersey (his name alludes me) and they don't win a single cup.

Your goalie is only as good as your defence and vice versa when will some of you understand this.

Also I don't see the team scoring a bunch these past few games. How about some goal support? Let me guess that's Price's fault as well because a)he lets in a couple of bad goals due to turnovers and b)he doesn't score. I guess the rest of the lacklustre play from this entire team can be excused when Price is in net because you know he's overrated.

God damn it I'm going to watch the Oilers strictly next season because I can't take the ******** that gets posted here.
If you would not have put me on Ignore I hope you could see this post.

I made mistake before... I was defending Gomez and I was thinking Kaberle could help pur team a lot because I happen to believe a player will not lose his touch that easily. On the Gomez front I'm eating crow because he really was detrimental to the team success. Same for Kaberle.

On the Desharnais front now... Things are not going so well for him and I think has I saw him I did adjust my fire by saying he could be more useful on the wing if we keep Pleks or on a third line ( offensive ) behind Eller and Galchenyuk in the futur. But I think he still have that qualitie that if sheltered could be the difference between a lost and a win and ultimately make him good value for his salary. Oh and by the way I think what he brings to the team exceed his trade value so thats why I'm for keeping him. That's my opinion and I think it is pretty well explained. I adjust as I see things going. One year ago I was thinking his defensive game could develop.

Now for Price, I've explained my argument time and time again. All I can see in him is his potential, his trade value, his salary and his last five years of goaltending in the nhl. With all of that my assesment of his performances are not the same as yours and I understand it and if I'm wrong I'll admit it. Let's put it that way... All Price has to do is bring us to the demi-finale with good consistent goaltending and you'll never see me write against him and I'll probably defend him in the next 4 years if he plays bad after that because he woukd have showed me he can do what I think a dominant goalie in this league can do. So far... He did not show me that. What he did show me is consistency issues and lack of mental toughness and more important in all of it... Lack of clutchness. I would be happy to eat crow on him because I'm a Habs fan but as of right now that's my assesment of the player and with that assesment I could say that his trade value exceeds what he really brings to the team.

Now your probably not reading this because you put me on your ignore list but in the off chance that you can see it.

I think it's very childish of you to ignore people with opinion different then yours. Especially on a board where the main purpose is to debate and to see different point of views. I actually enjoy reading the posts of people defending Price and give them all the chance in the world to convince me. I read them with respect and if I sound harsh on my posts it's probably more because english is not my first language than because I want to.

What I don't respect is people like you who sense the urge to tell me you put me on your ignore list I don't know why... Maybe just to offence me or something. If you want to put me on your ignore list fine, do it and don't tell the world about it because when you do that you just prove to me that you doesn't merit the respect to read your opinion... Even if your opinion is good because it just show that you do not deserve any respect .

durojean is offline  
Old
04-21-2013, 11:40 PM
  #547
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Errr....Caps got a 1st and a 2nd for Varlamov who was largely unproven. That's a better haul IMO.

Both Bishop and Varlamov were less proven goalies than Halak.

Eller is progressing but "rapidly"? No, he isn't. He's progressing steadily and I can tell you Gauthier expected him to be more ready than what we have seen thus far.
Some of you people can't read.

I clearly said eller was progressing rapidly at the time of the trade. If you have the choice between a future 13th overall and one from a year ago who is meeting expectations, you always go with the latter, overtime due to reduced risk. Same reason we would not trade Beaulieu for the 17th overall in this upcoming draft.

What we got for Halak is exceptional. Goalies never fetch that much, the closest examples are Varlameov and toskala. We are not getting a first and a top six forward for price.

DAChampion is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 07:42 AM
  #548
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Instead of judging his career, which at this point in his career would be foolish, consider his play at this moment. I don't think I've ever seen such surprisingly awful goaltending, and this is coming from someone who's been a huge supporter of the guy since juniors. I'm not worried for his future or for the team's, but it is very concerning that he's playing this way. The people I've spoken to (hardly experts, no doubt) all seem to think that he has some personal issue. I'm not going to comment because I don't wanna make up rumours about a player's private life, but it seems to me Carey's head is elsewhere at the moment. I do hope that he does figure it all out, because he clearly has the skill and the history that proves he's far better than this.

As for the rest of the season, I'd but him in every game. This team is gonna live and die by him come playoff time, no point in giving up on him in the last couple meters of the race.
If you don't want to start baseless rumors, you are not doing a very good job.

Like dutchy said when talking to a goalie coach, price will be fine. Its easy to pin the lack of current success on price ( who IS in a funk) but its also lazy and unwarranted. If he stinks in the playoffs that we were not expected to even be in, the hatchets will be drawn. If so e of you are so looking forward to running another all star goalie out ta mtl, can you have the decency to wait three weeks?

sandysan is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:17 AM
  #549
almostjesus*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Halak

almostjesus* is offline  
Old
04-22-2013, 09:23 AM
  #550
pine
Registered User
 
pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,844
vCash: 50
Glad to see Halak doing well in his rehab

pine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.