HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Anton Strålman

Old
04-21-2013, 09:59 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

vCash: 500
I love Stralman for what he is, a great bottom pairing guy. Keeps the game simple, doesnt get caught out of place often. Has a deceiving shot. I resign him in a heartbeat if Im Slats. Hes perfect for the 5/6 role. If Mcilrath wants to make the team, he'll have to beat out Moore imo, which is looking very hard to do. Could be getting to the point where a guy like DZ might be expendable for forward help.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Anton is probably one of the best bottom pairing defensemen in the league.

He played 18:13 today. He averages 17:58 per game. And you don't usually go, "WTF was that, Stralman?" That's freakin' great for a bottom pairing defenseman.
Except on that goal against, got caught up the ice and on the wrong side.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:08 PM
The Mouth

he's a good soldier and steady.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:09 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Best bottom pair guy in the league?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Except on that goal against, got caught up the ice and on the wrong side.
Yep. At least that's not very comparable to Del Zotto passing the puck to Gerbe against Buffalo the other night. Those are the kinds of plays I'm talking about.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Yup, he is pretty good bottom pairing D. He is mobile, is playing more physical, and can play top 4 in a pinch. Add the cap friendly contract. Good all round.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:32 PM
zuckera1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEctions View Post
I love Stralman for what he is, a great bottom pairing guy. Keeps the game simple, doesnt get caught out of place often. Has a deceiving shot. I resign him in a heartbeat if Im Slats. Hes perfect for the 5/6 role. If Mcilrath wants to make the team, he'll have to beat out Moore imo, which is looking very hard to do. Could be getting to the point where a guy like DZ might be expendable for forward help.
I agree with you. DZ has struggled ever since the game in Toronto. He makes a lot of mistakes in the defensive zone, and is also prone to "del zaster" plays in the neutral zone or along the boards that lead to odd man rushes against. I know he's good on the rush, but his production this year has been down compared to years past. Out of our 4 core defensemen (Staal, DZ, G, McD), I'd be more than happy to move DZ first for another winger that can score to supplement Nash's offense.

zuckera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:36 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckera1 View Post
I agree with you. DZ has struggled ever since the game in Toronto. He makes a lot of mistakes in the defensive zone, and is also prone to "del zaster" plays in the neutral zone or along the boards that lead to odd man rushes against. I know he's good on the rush, but his production this year has been down compared to years past. Out of our 4 core defensemen (Staal, DZ, G, McD), I'd be more than happy to move DZ first for another winger that can score to supplement Nash's offense.
It depends on Mcilraths readiness. If he can come up and prove to be a great 4/5 tweener type then Im all for moving DZ. I think Moore can fill the #4 role going forward. Wth Stralman/Mcilrath on our bottom pair.

Mcdonagh/Girardi
Staal/Moore
Stralman/Mcilrath

I think that looks like a great group of 6 personally.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 10:37 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post

If he's not the best he's definitely right up there. Can play in top-4 short term if required. Been a great pick up for us.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN88 View Post
I don't get the beef with him at times. He is solid.
Agree; no complaints here!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:51 AM
Chimp

Speaking of statistics, Strålman is a +14 this year, which places him 3rd on the team right behind Stepan and Nash (McD 4th @ +10). That says alot of how solid he's been, just continuing to do the things he did last season.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:56 AM
thepoeticgoblin

Amazing bottom pair guy. He's developed into a solid two-way D-man. He has adapted to the system well and I know he's capable of bigger offense too. A great pickup for us and should easily be resigned.

thepoeticgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:15 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Anton Stralman is the most consistent defensive player in our lineup. Not the best; not by any means. But the most consistent.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:22 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

He fits a need for the Rangers in that he plays the right side, is rarely out of position, makes the smart decision with the puck and skates well enough so that he isn't burned to the outside. He also has enough strength so that he isn't muscled off the puck either.

Very important depth player for the team

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:26 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
The most unsung guy on the blue-line for us the past 2 seasons. Still has potential, he's doing great. Keep it up Lawman Stralman!

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He has been a great find.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 07:51 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Stralsy has been great for us. One of our better defensemen who can get a low, hard shot to the net.

04-23-2013, 08:19 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

vCash: 50
Best thing about him is you rarely notice him. He was very noticable in his first season here when he kept throwing hipchecks around, but mostly he just makes the safe, invisible plays that you only notice if you don't look for them.

He doesn't do anything extraordinary, but I think of all our defensemen he's made the fewest mistakes this year.

SixGoalieSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:28 AM
Affinity

Just saw that Stralman has the best +/- out of all of our defensemen in 18:02 TOI/G. Give this man more PP time! I would like 1 good reason why he isn't on the first unit over Girardi. Plays the right side, has better offensive instincts and has a better shot and pass.

Affinity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:19 AM
Cresto
Much Disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Just saw that Stralman has the best +/- out of all of our defensemen in 18:02 TOI/G. Give this man more PP time! I would like 1 good reason why he isn't on the first unit over Girardi. Plays the right side, has better offensive instincts and has a better shot and pass.
Girardi can almost be replaced entirely with a wall 7 feet by 5 feet plants at the right point. That's all he does on the PP. Reset after a charade of passes that accomplishes nothing and save the puck on the line and keep it in and throw it down low. Stralsy could do wonders.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:42 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
I don't know why, it's mind boggling. I thought he had a weak game tonight, but, yeah, overall, he's been consistently good all year long. He's earned a chance on the PP, more so than Girardi - for much of this year, I've thought that Stralman has been better than Girardi, period. What has he done to warrant that time over a player that has put up big numbers on the PP before?

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:51 AM
Affinity

I think Torts/Sullivan wants to play it safe by having a good defensive guy there "just in case!" Our PP has looked better since the deadline though and I think removing Girardi would do wonders for the 1st unit.

Affinity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 04:41 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 400
Can't wait to see a coach utilize the team's strengths for once. Put an Offensive minded D man who is a better skater, passer, shooter on the PP? What a crazy idea!

5 4 Fighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:17 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
I think Torts/Sullivan wants to play it safe by having a good defensive guy there "just in case!" Our PP has looked better since the deadline though and I think removing Girardi would do wonders for the 1st unit.
This is the only reason as I can see it. Since they only have one defenceman out there, they may be too afraid to put Strålman out there as the sole defenceman.

But OTOH they have no issues with putting MDZ as the sole D on the 2nd PP unit, and he is an even bigger liability than Strålman.

But if they want to shore it up defensively, wouldn't it make sense to put McD or Moore out there who has the best recovery speed? McD who by the way is our best offensive D 5v5.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

He won the puck battle in OT that led to Cally's goal.

Has played a very good game since Staal went down, one of the best stories of the year for this club.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote