2) Armia
3) Vatanen
4) Granlund
5) Ristolainen
6) Teravainen
7) Maatta
8) Pulkkinen
9) the rest
The years are obviously cherry-picked to dis Granlund, which makes it doubly hilarious for me to point out that Vatanen's -91.

Also, Armia being the 2nd best has no basis... at least yet.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
The years are obviously cherry-picked to dis Granlund, which makes it doubly hilarious for me to point out that Vatanen's -91.

Also, Armia being the 2nd best has no basis... at least yet.
I didn't mean to "cherry-pick" the years to dis Granlund. (What makes you think that?? What about all the other names below Granlund??) Just putting together an "update" for a relative ranking of the most prominent prospects. Granlund has already shown that he will be a solid top-6 player in the NHL. I had my doubts concerning his skating but his speed looks already sufficient. Next season he should be some kind of impact player in the NHL. --- Vatanen is indeed -91 born, sorry. I wanted to include him for obvious reasons. I put him above Granlund but it was close. In fact, Vatanen is still a bit of a project, even more than Granlund but his upside just seems tad higher.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:38 AM
LoveHateLeafs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyagelle View Post
if you are having sleepless nights between at the end of the week there are apparently going to be live streams from World Selects Invite (-98 boys) - featuring some of the prospects mentioned in this thread.

Finland Selects

if I got correct info games played in MHG Arena will be streamed, and the stream will appear on the match page during the game. - I presume/hope its free-to-view.

Finns will start their games today with practice match vs swedes.
I don't know if anyone watched the games(I wasn't able to), but Jesse Puljujarvi led the tournament in scoring, being involved on nearly two thirds of his team's goals. I would have loved to have seen how he matched up against Sean Day, who was recently(and somewhat controversially) awarded OHL exceptional status. The two teams played each other in one game, which Day's team won. Day and Puljujarvi scored two goals apiece.

Old
04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
I don't know if anyone watched the games(I wasn't able to), but Jesse Puljujarvi led the tournament in scoring, being involved on nearly two thirds of his team's goals. I would have loved to have seen how he matched up against Sean Day, who was recently(and somewhat controversially) awarded OHL exceptional status. The two teams played each other in one game, which Day's team won. Day and Puljujarvi scored two goals apiece.
I watched some of the action yesterday. Puljujärvi shot the puck a lot, many of his chances came from counter-attacks where he was able to use his speed and reach effectively to challenge defensemen.

No uber standouts among defensemen, but Olli Juolevi was perhaps slightly more impressive than Tarmo Reunanen or Urho Vaakanainen. I especially liked his play during the 3-on-3 overtime.

I watched Sean Day's team for only a while, but he looked very similar to those TSN highlight clips. A big body with excellent skating and puck handling.

Last edited by Tormentor: 04-22-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 04:08 AM
TwoHockey

WSI 98 @ Saco

FI Selects had positive ending for the tournament even when they struggled a bit in the series. They showed up good team play on the playoffs, unfortunately they lost to Vityaz (who won the final) in the semifinal 2-1 by a last minute power play goal.
Puljujärvi was clearly the best forward by all means but the whole team played well and it was good experience to see the level of the -98 age group top players of other
countries.

Sean Day was a story of his own in this tournament. He seemed to be extremely selfish and arrogant, he did not play for his team but for himself. He checked Aapeli Räsänen (who is about similar size) from the back so, that he hit his head into post and ending Räsänen's games on this tournament.
Then he was thorwn out from the All Star game due to similar incident.

Some footage of SD here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztkr2S9oNGk

I felt sorry for Sean Day, he was not the player I have seen him play before.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
YARR123

Apparently Puljujärvi won the scoring race for the whole tournament, 13+8 in 9 games. Not bad
I wonder why Patrik Laine wasn't in the roster?

Old
04-26-2013, 04:24 AM
JJTT

In the latest Leijonat-magazine Puljujärvi said that he is 187cm, 81kilos now and projected to grow around 195cm.

Same measurements listed here http://www.lounaislappi.fi/uutiset/j...jaa-maailmalla

Eliteprospects list him as 184cm, 75 kilos

Old
04-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Gaps

Good read for all Finns if you're interested in knowing what Craig Button thinks about some of Finland's young players: http://www.jatkoaika.com/Haastattelu...skinner/147117

Nice to know I'm not the only one who's very fond of Miro Aaltonen. Button thinks he'll get drafted this time around, hopefully he's right.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Gaps

Göran Stubb reports on Twitter that Barkov, Ristolainen, Lehkonen and Saros have been invited to the draft combine: https://twitter.com/goranstubb/statu...72330845270016

Old
04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Preds fan here. It looks likely that we will land Barkov, and we are beyond excited here! Everything we have heard leads us to believe he is going to be a centerpiece for years to come.

For comparables, I've heard Joe Thornton, Nicklas Backstrom, and Ryan Getzlaf...any of those sound right to you? Any others?

We can't wait to add Barks to our team. With him and Peks both onboard, hopefully we can gain for Finnish fans!

Thanks for the info!

Old
04-30-2013, 06:19 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
In the latest Leijonat-magazine Puljujärvi said that he is 187cm, 81kilos now and projected to grow around 195cm.

Same measurements listed here http://www.lounaislappi.fi/uutiset/j...jaa-maailmalla

Eliteprospects list him as 184cm, 75 kilos
How is his skating? Does he have chance to be high-end skater with that frame?

Old
04-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Hockeyfrilla

What happened with -94 Kalle Torniainen? He looked good with Djurgården juniors.

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 04-30-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 06:32 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
How is his skating? Does he have chance to be high-end skater with that frame?

here is a video from a month ago Puljujärvi is #25, of the kärpät

Looks pretty good, but nothing exceptional. I think he can be a good skater when he fills out to that frame.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
What happened with -94 Kalle Torniainen? He looked good with Djurgården juniors.
I think he's had injury issues.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Tormentor

From Russia with love - Team Finland's road to bronze at the 2013 WU18C's

Match Videos from Preliminary Round:
1. LAT - FIN: Link
2. FIN - RUS: Link
3. FIN - CZE: Link
4. USA - FIN: Link

Match Videos from Playoff Round:
5. FIN - SUI: Link
6. CAN - FIN: Link
7. RUS - FIN: Link

Old
05-15-2013, 07:51 AM
NEhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Apparently Jokerit's Olli Juolevi(-98 D-man) has been very impressive. He leads their C-jr. preliminary group in points as an underage d-man and is listed at 185/75 (14 years of age). Jokerit's -98 age group seems to have quite a lot of talent besides him as well, other notable names include Oula Kuure, Otto Somppi and Jarkko Aalto. All 4 of these kids are within Jokerit-C's scoring top-6.
They're all very strong players. There is one more player out there ( I thought he played for Jokerit, but maybe I'm mistaken; Aappeli Raasonen (Check spelling). He is another 98' forward who has a high skill set.

Glad to see those four having such a great year, they're all nice kids.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Bullwhip Reds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
For comparables, I've heard Joe Thornton, Nicklas Backstrom, and Ryan Getzlaf...any of those sound right to you? Any others?
I think that Getz would be the closest comparison. Without the mean streak and attitude problems. I´m not sure though wheather he'll be a star first line center or a very good second line guy. A can't miss prospect anyways.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:12 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Not Finnish prospect, but I don't want to open new thread because of one post. Croatian 17-yrs old forward, Fran Gjoni (last season Austrian league U17 over 100 pts in 30 games) will play for SaiPa U18 team next season.

Hopefully he will be as succesfull as Rendulic

Old
05-18-2013, 10:02 AM
TheRocket87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Not Finnish prospect, but I don't want to open new thread because of one post. Croatian 17-yrs old forward, Fran Gjoni (last season Austrian league U17 over 100 pts in 30 games) will play for SaiPa U18 team next season.

Hopefully he will be as succesfull as Rendulic
He also had a try-out with the Ässät U20 team, but apparently it didn't work out. Too bad since Rendulic is a pretty liked guy inside the organization and fans.

Old
05-23-2013, 03:24 PM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Hey, does anyone have any scouting information on Ville Pokka? It seems like he had a pretty good season and was logging a lot of minutes for a young kid. What is the status of his contract with his respective club? Thanks guys!

Old
05-24-2013, 07:36 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Hey, does anyone have any scouting information on Ville Pokka? It seems like he had a pretty good season and was logging a lot of minutes for a young kid. What is the status of his contract with his respective club? Thanks guys!
Here is a good scouting report

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/05/...3-ville-pokka/

Quote:

Defense
Born Jun 3 1994 — Tornio, Finland
Height 6.00 — Weight 200 — Shoots Right

He is very difficult to beat off the rush as he uses excellent positioning and good quickness to always keep the forward in front of him. He has a quick stick and is good at pokechecking opponents. Pokka has shown that he can be physical and throw a hard hit if he catches a forward in a vulnerable position. He is also willing to battle hard in the corners and in front of the net, however Pokka is sometimes overwhelmed by a big, physical forward.

Offensively Pokka plays a simple, but very effective game. He has great vision and hockey IQ which help him to quarterback the powerplay. A very good passer, Pokka can make effective tape to tape passes to teammates both from the blue line in the offensive zone and in his own zone to start the breakout. Pokka’s slapshot needs work, as it lacks both power and accuracy, however he does possess a good wrist shot, and can often be seen sneaking in from the point on the PP in an attempt to recieve a pass and unleash it.

Pokka is a decent skater, but not great. His top end speed is good, and his balance is also adequate. He does however need to work on his pivots, agility and changes of direction before he will be ready for the next level.

Pokka can be an effective 2nd pairing defender in the NHL. There are some aspects of his game that need work before he reaches the pros, but the potential is certainly there.
I think he will spent 1-2 seasons in sm-liiga playing top 4 minutes on a top team. He will get decent amount of powerplay time and some time on the penalty kill. If he development doesn't stall he has a change to play in world championhips next year. Pokka will also on play on the u20 WJC's.

He needs to improve his conditioning and take training more seriously. That 200 lbs frame is not all muscle.
Good puckmover and great hands but he tends to try too much and loses the puck in his own end/blueline. He's positioning on the defensive zone also needs some work before nhl.

Last edited by JJTT: 05-24-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old
05-28-2013, 11:21 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtt View Post
Here is a good scouting report

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/05/...3-ville-pokka/

He needs to improve his conditioning and take training more seriously. That 200 lbs frame is not all muscle.
Good puckmover and great hands but he tends to try too much and loses the puck in his own end/blueline. He's positioning on the defensive zone also needs some work before nhl.
Thanks alot jjtt!

Old
06-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Tormentor

Teemu Kivihalme is one of the less talked Finnish prospects with a chance of getting drafted this summer. If anyone's interested, this article offers some background info about him and here's a video of one of his games from this season, he's #26 in a black/yellow shirt.

Old
06-17-2013, 12:41 PM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Teemu Kivihalme is one of the less talked Finnish prospects with a chance of getting drafted this summer. If anyone's interested, this article offers some background info about him and here's a video of one of his games from this season, he's #26 in a black/yellow shirt.
Is he considered as a finnish prospect? I mean he was with the USA national team last time.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Is he considered as a finnish prospect? I mean he was with the USA national team last time.
He hasn’t played in an IIHF event yet, so in principle he’s still eligible to play for Finland. All in all it naturally seems unlikely that he would someday play for us, as a dual citizen he’d first have to play 2 seasons of organized hockey here. That’s if I’ve understood the rules correctly.

Closed Thread