HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

What in the H E double hockey sticks is wrong with Thornton????

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-22-2013, 12:34 AM
  #26
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Ah, hockey, where we hope a guy is either injured or having a personal crisis, because as long as our hockey team wins, who cares?
I only meant that I'd rather it was something temporary rather than the first year of an incredibly steep decline. It's kinda sad when a person's abilities decline regardless of what they do for a living.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:39 AM
  #27
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,187
vCash: 500
There is something wrong with Thornton. He has had his ice time cut significantly over the past few weeks (this game being an exception).

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:07 AM
  #28
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 31,513
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
There is something wrong with Thornton. He has had his ice time cut significantly over the past few weeks (this game being an exception).
The only thing wrong with Thornton is that he is having a poor season. The man has had many a year where he played hurt or injured and still played damn well and/or produced. I think fatigue may play into it to some degree with him. However, the root of the problem is that he's stuck playing the way he wants to play which works to a certain extent but playing quick is better for the team more often than not and Thornton does not do that.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:13 AM
  #29
dwood16
Registered User
 
dwood16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,715
vCash: 500
He's hurt. For sure.

He fell like 3 times in tonight's game ...that is not normal. He rarely falls 3 times in a month.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:15 AM
  #30
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,189
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
He's hurt. For sure.

He fell like 3 times in tonight's game ...that is not normal. He rarely falls 3 times in a month.
If he's that injured, then this coaching staff deserves a ton of **** for letting him play that injured, and Thornton deserves a ton of **** for insisting on playing, probably because of that whole ironman thing.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:23 AM
  #31
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
His ironman streak is long gone, thanks to the Perron suspension and an injury a couple years ago.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:20 AM
  #32
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 23,592
vCash: 2810
If he's hurt sit him out, just like Demers.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:41 AM
  #33
Dicdonya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Jose
Posts: 627
vCash: 500
Call me crazy but I honestly think he is just not getting up for some of these games. I have a gut feeling he's going to beast it up these playoffs and shut some people up. Now I most certainly could be horribly wrong but I'm just getting one of those "feelings"

My head says he's banged up or tired though. He was playing during the lockout.

Dicdonya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:04 AM
  #34
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
If he's that injured, then this coaching staff deserves a ton of **** for letting him play that injured, and Thornton deserves a ton of **** for insisting on playing, probably because of that whole ironman thing.
Todd doesn't have the stones to make Thornton rest.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:50 AM
  #35
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
Call me crazy but I honestly think he is just not getting up for some of these games. I have a gut feeling he's going to beast it up these playoffs and shut some people up. Now I most certainly could be horribly wrong but I'm just getting one of those "feelings"

My head says he's banged up or tired though. He was playing during the lockout.
My heart is with ya.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
  #36
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,450
vCash: 500
Fatigue could be an issue since he played over the lockout in the swiss league..doesn't have the youngest legs anymore.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:20 AM
  #37
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,115
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Fatigue could be an issue since he played over the lockout in the swiss league..doesn't have the youngest legs anymore.
he's only played 78 games this year so far.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:38 AM
  #38
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
he's only played 78 games this year so far.
So? A lot of vet players are looking ragged due to the NHL schedule. Is this Thornton's issue? who knows. He fell three times yesterday trying to pivot. It just alarms me because every other top forward on the Sharks is starting to gear it up but hes getting worse.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:49 AM
  #39
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,115
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
So? A lot of vet players are looking ragged due to the NHL schedule. Is this Thornton's issue? who knows. He fell three times yesterday trying to pivot. It just alarms me because every other top forward on the Sharks is starting to gear it up but hes getting worse.
ok, you don't know me well enough. guess i should of put the

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:50 AM
  #40
lucky0slevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
maybe DW came to give him a talk at the deadline and asked him to waive for either the deadline or this summer. The whole process of moving could be pisssing him off and his lowering his own value to make him untradable.

lucky0slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:57 AM
  #41
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,115
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky0slevin View Post
maybe DW came to give him a talk at the deadline and asked him to waive for either the deadline or this summer. The whole process of moving could be pisssing him off and his lowering his own value to make him untradable.
if thornton was asked to waive i am pretty sure he would just waive his no trade clause, and there would be no chance that he would still be on the team if he waived it, even if it was to only a handful of teams in the league.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:57 AM
  #42
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,394
vCash: 500
Keep in mind that Thornton played a part in both GF against Cbus. His drive to the net was critical on Desjardins's goal and he would have had the tertiary assist on the Pavelski goal.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:59 AM
  #43
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,115
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Keep in mind that Thornton played a part in both GF against Cbus. His drive to the net was critical on Desjardins's goal and he would have had the tertiary assist on the Pavelski goal.
but but but that can't be right, only marleau does the little things right. thornton just sucks all the time.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:05 AM
  #44
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
but but but that can't be right, only marleau does the little things right. thornton just sucks all the time.
While I support your support of my post, I don't think your statement is doing the players justice.

When Marleau is getting criticized, I feel it is mostly because he is getting held to standards that are unfair to him. There are stretches where he disappoints, and he has had a season or two of terrible play, but overall, he's doing all his best.

When Thornton gets criticized, I feel it is mostly because he isn't living up to his potential. The standards are simply much higher for him. One can always point to his and Marleau's salaries and say that they should be treated equally, but we all know that Thornton is the superior player.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:20 AM
  #45
Wedontneedroads
Registered User
 
Wedontneedroads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 374
Last night I thought his timing on his shifts were off a bit.

Then I realized, nope, he is actually playing on the 4th line. Him and Gomez switched for at least a few shifts vs Columbus.

Funny thing is he set a great screen for Desi to score that goal. Maybe it got him thinking about working hard instead of making pretty plays.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:42 AM
  #46
murdock1116
Registered User
 
murdock1116's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
First off, I don't think Thornton is playing as bad as all you guys think/suggest he is. A lot of eye testing going on right now with Thornton and his falling on the ice or token turnover in the slot.

I honestly think Thornton and Boyle, maybe even Marleau are simply phoning it in right now until the playoffs start.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
  #47
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
First off, I don't think Thornton is playing as bad as all you guys think/suggest he is. A lot of eye testing going on right now with Thornton and his falling on the ice or token turnover in the slot.

I honestly think Thornton and Boyle, maybe even Marleau are simply phoning it in right now until the playoffs start.
i highly doubt this. seeing as we need home ice, youd think theyd try.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:56 AM
  #48
murdock1116
Registered User
 
murdock1116's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i highly doubt this. seeing as we need home ice, youd think theyd try.

I'm not saying they don't "care" or are not "trying," of course they are, but its only natural for them to be less inclined to bust their ass on every shift until the playoffs.

Not excusing it but its just natural.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
  #49
Chubbs
Toasty
 
Chubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,022
vCash: 500
The Sharks' home and away records should be reason enough to try and get home ice.

The team looks like the opposite of what they played like in the first 7 games. Back then it was the top guys overperforming which hid the poor play of our depth, and our power play was deadly because the stars were playing well. Now our depth is generally playing well and is hiding the poor performance of the big 3, and our power play has taken a hit because of it.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:38 PM
  #50
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 29,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
First off, I don't think Thornton is playing as bad as all you guys think/suggest he is. A lot of eye testing going on right now with Thornton and his falling on the ice or token turnover in the slot.

I honestly think Thornton and Boyle, maybe even Marleau are simply phoning it in right now until the playoffs start.
I thought Marleau played a hard game last night. He had good chances and outside of Torres and Wingels was the most physical forward.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.