HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

What in the H E double hockey sticks is wrong with Thornton????

Old
04-22-2013, 12:34 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Ah, hockey, where we hope a guy is either injured or having a personal crisis, because as long as our hockey team wins, who cares?
I only meant that I'd rather it was something temporary rather than the first year of an incredibly steep decline. It's kinda sad when a person's abilities decline regardless of what they do for a living.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Mattb124

There is something wrong with Thornton. He has had his ice time cut significantly over the past few weeks (this game being an exception).

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:07 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
There is something wrong with Thornton. He has had his ice time cut significantly over the past few weeks (this game being an exception).
The only thing wrong with Thornton is that he is having a poor season. The man has had many a year where he played hurt or injured and still played damn well and/or produced. I think fatigue may play into it to some degree with him. However, the root of the problem is that he's stuck playing the way he wants to play which works to a certain extent but playing quick is better for the team more often than not and Thornton does not do that.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 02:13 AM
dwood16

He's hurt. For sure.

He fell like 3 times in tonight's game ...that is not normal. He rarely falls 3 times in a month.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:15 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
He's hurt. For sure.

He fell like 3 times in tonight's game ...that is not normal. He rarely falls 3 times in a month.
If he's that injured, then this coaching staff deserves a ton of **** for letting him play that injured, and Thornton deserves a ton of **** for insisting on playing, probably because of that whole ironman thing.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 03:23 AM
StalockSuperfan

His ironman streak is long gone, thanks to the Perron suspension and an injury a couple years ago.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:20 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 2810
If he's hurt sit him out, just like Demers.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 04:41 AM
Dicdonya

Call me crazy but I honestly think he is just not getting up for some of these games. I have a gut feeling he's going to beast it up these playoffs and shut some people up. Now I most certainly could be horribly wrong but I'm just getting one of those "feelings"

My head says he's banged up or tired though. He was playing during the lockout.

Dicdonya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:04 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
If he's that injured, then this coaching staff deserves a ton of **** for letting him play that injured, and Thornton deserves a ton of **** for insisting on playing, probably because of that whole ironman thing.
Todd doesn't have the stones to make Thornton rest.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:50 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicdonya View Post
Call me crazy but I honestly think he is just not getting up for some of these games. I have a gut feeling he's going to beast it up these playoffs and shut some people up. Now I most certainly could be horribly wrong but I'm just getting one of those "feelings"

My head says he's banged up or tired though. He was playing during the lockout.
My heart is with ya.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Fatigue could be an issue since he played over the lockout in the swiss league..doesn't have the youngest legs anymore.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Fatigue could be an issue since he played over the lockout in the swiss league..doesn't have the youngest legs anymore.
he's only played 78 games this year so far.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
he's only played 78 games this year so far.
So? A lot of vet players are looking ragged due to the NHL schedule. Is this Thornton's issue? who knows. He fell three times yesterday trying to pivot. It just alarms me because every other top forward on the Sharks is starting to gear it up but hes getting worse.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
So? A lot of vet players are looking ragged due to the NHL schedule. Is this Thornton's issue? who knows. He fell three times yesterday trying to pivot. It just alarms me because every other top forward on the Sharks is starting to gear it up but hes getting worse.
ok, you don't know me well enough. guess i should of put the

Old
04-22-2013, 10:50 AM
lucky0slevin

maybe DW came to give him a talk at the deadline and asked him to waive for either the deadline or this summer. The whole process of moving could be pisssing him off and his lowering his own value to make him untradable.

lucky0slevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky0slevin View Post
maybe DW came to give him a talk at the deadline and asked him to waive for either the deadline or this summer. The whole process of moving could be pisssing him off and his lowering his own value to make him untradable.
if thornton was asked to waive i am pretty sure he would just waive his no trade clause, and there would be no chance that he would still be on the team if he waived it, even if it was to only a handful of teams in the league.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:57 AM
OrrNumber4

Keep in mind that Thornton played a part in both GF against Cbus. His drive to the net was critical on Desjardins's goal and he would have had the tertiary assist on the Pavelski goal.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Keep in mind that Thornton played a part in both GF against Cbus. His drive to the net was critical on Desjardins's goal and he would have had the tertiary assist on the Pavelski goal.
but but but that can't be right, only marleau does the little things right. thornton just sucks all the time.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:05 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
but but but that can't be right, only marleau does the little things right. thornton just sucks all the time.
While I support your support of my post, I don't think your statement is doing the players justice.

When Marleau is getting criticized, I feel it is mostly because he is getting held to standards that are unfair to him. There are stretches where he disappoints, and he has had a season or two of terrible play, but overall, he's doing all his best.

When Thornton gets criticized, I feel it is mostly because he isn't living up to his potential. The standards are simply much higher for him. One can always point to his and Marleau's salaries and say that they should be treated equally, but we all know that Thornton is the superior player.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
Last night I thought his timing on his shifts were off a bit.

Then I realized, nope, he is actually playing on the 4th line. Him and Gomez switched for at least a few shifts vs Columbus.

Funny thing is he set a great screen for Desi to score that goal. Maybe it got him thinking about working hard instead of making pretty plays.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:42 AM
murdock1116

First off, I don't think Thornton is playing as bad as all you guys think/suggest he is. A lot of eye testing going on right now with Thornton and his falling on the ice or token turnover in the slot.

I honestly think Thornton and Boyle, maybe even Marleau are simply phoning it in right now until the playoffs start.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:46 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
First off, I don't think Thornton is playing as bad as all you guys think/suggest he is. A lot of eye testing going on right now with Thornton and his falling on the ice or token turnover in the slot.

I honestly think Thornton and Boyle, maybe even Marleau are simply phoning it in right now until the playoffs start.
i highly doubt this. seeing as we need home ice, youd think theyd try.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 11:56 AM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
i highly doubt this. seeing as we need home ice, youd think theyd try.

I'm not saying they don't "care" or are not "trying," of course they are, but its only natural for them to be less inclined to bust their ass on every shift until the playoffs.

Not excusing it but its just natural.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

The Sharks' home and away records should be reason enough to try and get home ice.

The team looks like the opposite of what they played like in the first 7 games. Back then it was the top guys overperforming which hid the poor play of our depth, and our power play was deadly because the stars were playing well. Now our depth is generally playing well and is hiding the poor performance of the big 3, and our power play has taken a hit because of it.

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post

I thought Marleau played a hard game last night. He had good chances and outside of Torres and Wingels was the most physical forward.