HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Prospect Matteau Jr article on RDS

Old
04-22-2013, 08:32 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Clarkson View Post
If he really did quit the team...does that make him eligible for the AHL next season?
I think he's eligible regardless. He wasn't drafted out of the QJMHL so I don't think he has to go back.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:33 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
You don't even know why he quit and you're calling his reasons childish..

Why don't we wait for him to talk before we indict the guy?
He quit the team cause he got benched by his head coach after he got a 2 minute minor for slashing. His head coach said after the game that he didn't tolerate "individual and selfish plays", so that's why he rode the pine.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

I think in most cases this wouldn't be a huge deal. The kid effed up. But add in the fact that most of us wanted Lou to surrender that pick in the first place, then the indecision as to whether to keep him with the big club or send him down, then the fact that our team sucks and was just eliminated. We have a hair-trigger at the moment to criticize anyone and everyone at this point.

Luke3026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:35 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
He quit the team cause he got benched by his head coach after he got a 2 minute minor for slashing. His head coach said after the game that he didn't tolerate "individual and selfish plays", so that's why he rode the pine.
Story has a lot of holes in it that can make it better or worse for Matteau.

Was their a locker-room scene? Was Matteau yelling at the coach? Was the coach yelling at him?

Did his dad being on the team have anything to do with it? Did his dad yell at the coach for benching Matteau and was pissed off? Maybe Matteau just went on the fan bus WITH HIS DAD because of that.

Seriously, we don't know what happened between A and B.. we don't even know if he actually quit the team for god's sake.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:38 AM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Using that pick will likely end up being one of the worst things if we don't go deep into the playoffs next year.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:39 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

This is similar to the plot in All the Right Moves. Just with hockey instead of football.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:42 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevilsjds View Post
Using that pick will likely end up being one of the worst things if we don't go deep into the playoffs next year.
There were strong rumors Bettman was going to commute the penatly to a 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick after the lockout ended.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:48 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:

Was their a locker-room scene? Was Matteau yelling at the coach? Was the coach yelling at him?

Did his dad being on the team have anything to do with it? Did his dad yell at the coach for benching Matteau and was pissed off? Maybe Matteau just went on the fan bus WITH HIS DAD because of that.

Seriously, we don't know what happened between A and B.. we don't even know if he actually quit the team for god's sake.
Who cares if the coach yelled at him and I'm certain his dad (assistant HC) didn't say a peep to his "superior", the head coach. This isn't pee-wee "C" hockey, it's one notch below pro hockey.

The point is, he quit on his team who's currently in the playoffs. If that doesn't show a glaring sign of "not giving a **** about who he plays for", I don't know what does.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:50 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Who cares if the coach yelled at him and I'm certain his dad (assistant HC) didn't say a peep to his "superior", the head coach.

The point is, he quit on his team who's currently in the playoffs. If that doesn't show a glaring sign of "not giving a **** about who he plays for", I don't know what does.
His dad was on the fan bus with his son. For all we know, he flipped out on his superior and was fired. Wouldn't be the first time a parent got pissed at a coach for not playing their son.

Let's seriously just wait and see what actually happened before we lay into the kid. All we have are "rumors" that he quit on the team..

I'm all for bashing the kid if he just decided to quit on them but going to wait until we find out all the information. Even then, going to remember he's still a kid and kids make mistakes they regret soon after.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Cowbell232

DATW, do you have any details about what happened besides what we do? Why are you getting so bent out of shape dude?

Old
04-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

People making valid points about maturity = being OK with a junior player quitting on his team. Not knowing for sure IF he actually did it and/or w/o knowing the circumstances yet.

Sounds legit.

Quote:
You don't even know why he quit and you're calling his reasons childish..

Why don't we wait for him to talk before we indict the guy?
Get used to it. Certain individuals on this board will always react like this, especially DATW.

In b4 he starts a flame war I want no part in.

Quote:
If he really did quit the team...does that make him eligible for the AHL next season?
Yes. He would be eligible to play in the NHL even this year, but would have to wait for his team to get eliminated to join the Devils. Not enough games left and we have too many bodies, so it doesn`t matter anyway.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Someone is shocked with such a lack of professionalism

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:53 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
DATW, do you have any details about what happened besides what we do? Why are you getting so bent out of shape dude?
Using my super Twitter sleuthing, I've found out that immaturity is indeed a family problem according to a random tweet from a guy who said his niece plays with Matteu's sister who's lack of discpline has cost them a game this year.

Seems legit

Old
04-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Puck Farise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Yes. He would be eligible to play in the NHL even this year, but would have to wait for his team to get eliminated to join the Devils. Not enough games left and we have too many bodies, so it doesn`t matter anyway.
I was asking about the AHL. This year, it was NHL or Juniors...no AHL option. So, if he quit his junior team, does that make him AHL eligible?

I don't see him sticking with the NHL team in a meaningful way next year, so AHL would probably be best.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:55 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
I was asking about the AHL. This year, it was NHL or Juniors...no AHL option. So, if he quit his junior team, does that make him AHL eligible?

I don't see him sticking with the NHL team in a meaningful way next year, so AHL would probably be best.
As I said, I think he's AHL eligible regardless because he wasn't drafted out of juniors.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Waiting for someone to photoshop his face onto Cartman's........

"Screw you guys, I'm going home."

Luke3026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Quote:

No - we have to assume we know everything and take it at worst possible face value right now. anything to make this season, lou and the pipeline look as bad as it can. Matteau is clearly a headcase, has no sense, and will be a bust and probably quit hockey.

I mean, it couldn't possibly be that he and his dad were getting into it over and over again about his play and after slashing a guy getting extra harsh treatment because he's the coach's son and setting an example and feeling unfairly singled out and then acting out in anger. I mean Patrick Roy's son never did anything like this. It's unheard of for the son of an NHLer to get extra attention when drama unfolds.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:58 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:

I don't get why posters are just brushing this off like it's something that happens often.
I'm a double-agent on this one, I agree with both camps.

1) Yes, this is pretty brutal and potentially bad foreshadowing.

2) Yes, this is getting blown way out of proportion.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:

I believe so.

And I wanted him in Albany next year anyway. Can`t say I`m all that upset.

I`ll reserve my judgement for when we get more information, but it screams - hardass coach sat my son for a fairly meaningless penalty after he/management suspended him twice. I`ve had enough of this. Pack your bags kid, we`re leaving.

For some (rational) reason, I can`t imagine he`d just quit on his team no matter how bizzare the situation was given his father is the assistant coach on his team. I would get slapped so hard my head would not stop turning for months if I did that and my father was behind the bench. Just doesn`t sound right.

I could be wrong though. Let`s wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post

I mean, it couldn't possibly be that he and his dad were getting into it over and over again about his play and after slashing a guy getting extra harsh treatment because he's the coach's son and setting an example and feeling unfairly singled out and then acting out in anger. I mean Patrick Roy's son never did anything like this. It's unheard of for the son of an NHLer to get extra attention when drama unfolds.
This is another possible scenario.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:01 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
No - we have to assume we know everything and take it at worst possible face value right now. anything to make this season, lou and the pipeline look as bad as it can. Matteau is clearly a headcase, has no sense, and will be a bust and probably quit hockey.

I wish I knew French but it seems like something more than Matteau just quitting happened. I don't think they schedule press conferences to announce a player has left the team..

Wouldn't be surprised to hear his dad stepped down..

(speaking of Patrick Roy.. he kind of quit his team also, didn't he? ).

Old
04-22-2013, 09:02 AM
FirmestPiano

I've always thought Matteau seemed very mature for his age, so this is a bit strange if true.

The slashing penalty was pretty dumb but not completely incomprehensible since he wasn't the one that instigated it. The other opposing player did, you see that in the NHL every day. Really should have been 2 players in the box for that one, ref screwed up and Matteau became the scapegoat. Isn't his fault his team couldn't score in the 3rd either.

I know this isn't the first time Matteau has been benched in the third period by his coach, maybe he felt he's had enough an felt he was being unfairly treated, ie being the scapegoat.

FirmestPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:03 AM
CerebralGenesis

Aren't they hold a presser for this later? Should settle some of this

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:05 AM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Aren't they hold a presser for this later? Should settle some of this
was supposed to be at 9:30 I had thought.

is that usual to schedule a press conference to announce a player has quit though? seems excessive

Old
04-22-2013, 09:05 AM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
There were strong rumors Bettman was going to commute the penatly to a 2nd round pick or 3rd round pick after the lockout ended.
No way that is true, just no way, do you have a link?

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:15 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
was supposed to be at 9:30 I had thought.

is that usual to schedule a press conference to announce a player has quit though? seems excessive
Seems like it'll be 12.30. Don't know which time zone that is in though.

Armada BLB ‏@ArmadaBLB 29m
L'#Armada de Blainville-Boisbriand tiendra un point de presse aujourd'hui 12:30.

FirmestPiano is offline   Reply With Quote